General Manga Discussion

Well I got the chat out of that. At least it was hidden away enough and those that don’t wish to know don’t have to. Regardless, back to… less lewd.

Then I realized I wanted to bring up Fairy Tail and how I wish there were people here that read it and I could discuss with them. And that’s not less lewd (since Mashima is a perv and it’s ecchi).

And that’s one of the reasons I dropped Fairy Tail in the early part of Zeref’s demons arc. The second reason being the sheer length of the manga. Srsly, it should’ve just ended around the Grand Magic Games arc.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and XXXHolic f***d my mind up.

If it’s about manga, you can’t overlook (no, it’s not Gintama this time) (but yeah you can’t overlook it either) 'Sakamoto Desu Ga?'
Hilarious, unthinkable godlike troll humor at its best. I’m probably a bit biased there, but it is awesome manga! Fangirls will scream over the IMBA protagonist, which is Sakamoto himself.

Assasination Classroom is also a lot of fun. Pretty sure you guys already know it.
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari is cool. It resembles SAO but I like this one more.
If you like manga about survival, then Cage of Eden is nice. Ajin is also good…

If you want a serial that has everything: Gintama. (finally, yet again!)

Heh, yeah, the Erza thing had to be the worst moment of the manga. It’s been fine since, however, and Gray is totally a good character now.

Also another time skip has occurred. You should read it again.

While the Erza thing (not 100% sure if we mean the same thing here) pretty much dealt the finishing blow, I wouldn’t normally drop something over that. I just got bored of the manga in general. Stories ought to end before the readers get to that point. Shounen is a genre that especially suffers from going on forever.
I mean, Mashima did pretty fine with Rave -_-

I’d like to recommend you Wakabayashi Toshiya 4-koma. It’s a series of 4 panel comic depicting romance comedy between couples (yep there are a lot of main characters there)
It’s funny as hell!

If you’re familiar reading Japanese, I suggest you to check his website or his pixiv or his twitter where he updates his comic (also I heard that he always follow back if you follow his twitter or pixiv - he’s a great guy!)

If you can’t read Japanese, you can search for scanlation available or check the pools in danbooru.

Oh, I never mentioned this before for some reason.
I hope it’s okay to discuss Manhwa as well.

Dating a Team Magma Grunt - A cute, short, Pokemon-themed day-in-the-life doujin of a female Pokemon grunt, and her relationship with the protagonist of Pokemon Emerald. It’s adorable.

2 Likes

Totally adorable manga (or should I say manhwa). I dunno if it’s still updated but they released a funny april fools chapter earlier. They did say new chapter in April so I hope~

I really loved how they characterized Lisia in the last chapter. Seems like such a fun character now that the author gave her a personality hahaha

So I’ve picked up the two English volumes for Hibiki’s Magic and I’m reading through them now. Hibiki’s adorable.

I tried reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya manga but… the manga is just terrible. I don’t even know how you can do that with such a great series (both as far as the LNs and the anime goes). Maybe I’ll try again but, meh. I also read The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Those are significantly better in terms of manga quality.

Detective Conan is another one I keep up with where I can. It’s so large though, and the official translation schedule has decelerated since about three or four years ago (iirc). Also, I cringe each time I see it as Case Closed.

I’ve been meaning to pick up Spiral. I liked the anime and saw a few of the chapters of the manga and was impressed. I like that sort of thing, I guess. I’m also a Sherlock Holmes fan in general (though I’m not Sherlockian status, yet).

I read the first thirteen volumes of Rurouni Kenshin, when I was about ten. I know what happens, how it ends, etc. though. That makes it difficult to be interested in continuing to read it. Plus, different overall tastes now.

I’ve also been meaning to pick up Kokoro Connect since I liked the anime. But I haven’t yet done so yet. I was planning on it, but then Key stuff and… yeah.

In short, I don’t read manga all that often. There are a lot of other manga that I’ve skimmed through. I even own a volume or two of Lupin III, but I wouldn’t say I read it all that much.

1 Like

This poor thread deserves a revival, can’t just neglect manga

The only regular manga I’m reading are One Piece, because I was into the anime as a kid, thus nostalgia, and Nisekoi which I started after the first season of the anime #TeamOnodera
Others are:

• Monster Musume because it’s funny and has monstergirls, Suu and Papi best girls!
  • Touhou: Wild and Horned Hermit, since I’m a huge 2hu-fan, and Kasen is interesting
  • D-Frag, where I love the characters and the style of humor
  • Clockwork Planet, which is pretty new, but I like the pseudo-steampunkish setting
  • Trinity Seven , because I enjoyed the anime

but all of them are really irregular, with maybe one chapter every 2-3 months
I’m actually rereading some D-Frag whenever I feel like it because I can’t get enough of it, so yea

There’s also Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo and Kiss x Sis, but those I’m only reading every now and then, even though they’re all good

Manga I’ve actually finished are

• Aku no Hana, which I really liked (story spoiler:) up until the timeskip
  • Franken Fran, where I liked the grotesque humor and pseudoscience
  • Medaka Box, which I started because it’s by Nisio Isin (Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari) and really enjoyed; Kumagawa, Anshin’in and Naze best characters!

I’m also occasionally reading korean manga/manhwa:

• The Gamer, where the protagonist gets game-abilities in real life, fun read
  • Noblesse, a vampire story
  • Black Haze, a ‘magic school’ story

but I’m only actively following The Gamer every thursday, the other 2 are on hold for now

2 Likes

I’ve been reading Masamune-kun no Revenge. It may seem like your typical harem, but it’s far from that. It really got me hooked, with a very interesting plot and very self-fulfilling (no, not in that sense, but maybe this is something mostly personal)

Takafumi, I thought you disliked reading. :?

I do.
~25 pages, each with 2-5 sentences, once a month, is more than manageable though. Still an inconvenient entertainment form, but it’s cute enough to make time for.

1 Like

I read a lot of magas.

I higly recommend Another; I haven’t read the novel yet even though I own it, but the story and art are great.

My favorite Manga series is without a doubt Higurashi no naku koro ni. the story is amazing, there are a lot of plot twists. It will keep you on the edge most of the time, but also contains some comedy. Watch out though because there is a lot of gore in this one.

Umineko no nako koro ni was good as well, but read higurashi first.

The deadman wonderland manga is simply amazing. I know the anime was pretty good, but it is nothing but a pale reflexion of the manga.

If you are into ecchi stuff such as monster musume no iro nichijou, but are looking for a different series I recommend My Balls. This series is hilarious and contains a nice love story that is well developped. I would rate it 16+ but it does not contain any front screen sex. however, it is definitely not to read in public.

I recently read rabbit doubt and found it quite interesting. I’m really looking forward to read Judge.

I also read the entirety of claymore last winter. It was great at the begining but it becomes redundant and badly written at some point.

I recently got a copy of dance in the vampire bunds, but didn’t start it yet. I’ll give my imression of it when I’m done.

1 Like

The only good thing the anime has going on is the amazing ost. For everything else, read the manga.
Certainly one of my favorites. It’s like getting Vernon God Little and then making everyone insane and murderous instead of stupid and ugly.

There’s always at least one Shiro cosplay at every convention I go to, and it’s always nice to see the series is still alive in some way.

1 Like

The Higurashi and Umineko manga are pretty good adaptations of the sound novels. I used to read them years back but the translation releases were confusing so I thought I’d wait a bit. I really have to check them out again some time.

Whenever I start reading manga, I can’t seem to finish them. I’ve read Monster, As the Gods Will (a bunch of students in a death game), and Uzumaki (a town where everyone gets obsessed with spirals). Uzumaki disgusted me so much I’m not sure if I’d go on reading it.

I tried Pupa It’s about a regenerating guy and his sister who turns into a cannibal. She eats him of course (no reason I should be reading this if not) and got quite far until I realized how shitty it actually was and stopped.

KissxSis for something lighter and something ecchi. There’s also Momoiro Heaven which could be really amusing. The heroine writes erotica and they’re so funny to read. There’s also Midnight Secretary, whose heroine I like.

Aku no Hana is pretty intense. The latter half of the manga felt like I was reading an entirely different story. Overall, it was a touching coming-of-age read. One of the few manga I actually finished.

I read the Shuuen no Shiori manga too. It’s originally a vocaloid series about four friends who got themselves in a death game where they must kill the ‘fox,’ which is one of them. There’s something really interesting about highschool students killing each other, I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a heartless person.

Shingeki no Kyoijin. Since I couldn’t wait for the second season any longer.

Recently, I’m reading Parasyte and Gyo. Gyo is weird but Junji Ito’s works are kinda weird in general. Gyo has fishes with legs. Said fishes terrorize people. I haven’t seen anything this weirdly terrifying since Stephen King.

1 Like

The recent chapters are pretty painful to read though imo.

Also the ending was pretty amzing; or at least I really liked it. It is one of the rare series who does not decline as it goes which is impressive. It was good until the very end and it stopped at the right moment, before it became silly and whatnot.

I’m not sure if I remember it. I remember what the final arc was about, but I can’t pinpoint exactly when it ended.

1 Like

It ends with a big fight where they both lose their powers. Shiro is knocked out. Thereis a flashforwards a year or 2 after and she is still in a coma, you learn he is visiting her everyday. You see some characters talking about what happened in the time between the final battle and now. then he walks out of Shiro’s room and is on is wy back. as he cross the street he turn around and you see Shiro’s room. Zoom in on her face as she opens her eyes.

Ah, I remember the fight, and the flash-forward that went over all the characters, but I forgot that final bit~

1 Like