General Manga Discussion

After thinking about changing my profile pic, I realized that Pandora Hearts might still be the first manga series I’m going to get all books for.

Obviously opening this topic to hope SOMEONE also reads this series… and if not? Ah well, new discussion! There an anime based on a manga that you just have to swear someone away from? Or maybe a manga series that never got an anime adaption and you want someone to know about that series and read it.

Come on down and talk!

Based on my MAL which is listed in… another topic… I’ll find that and link later, I’m ACTUALLY following… 4 manga series right now (actually caught up and trying to keep that way), Bleach, One Piece, Pandora Hearts, and Akame ga Kill. Couple others on my reading list but I’m not bothering with those. I’ll continue discussion when others speak.

Please use common sense with [spoiler] tags.

1 Like

I haven’t read Pandora Hearts, but I think the Azumanga Daioh manga is fantastic! It’s one of the three manga that I really bothered to read all the way through (the other two being Kingdom Hearts and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Yes, those are manga adaptations of the games).

3 Likes

Ah yes, I’ve read plenty of the Legend of Zelda mangas. Volvagia <3.

Still need to go back and read all of them.

1 Like

I don’t read much manga. It’s hard to find the time~ I’ve read some though.
The first I read was the Princess Ai manga in 2005, closely followed by KH. Tokyopop was pretty great~
I’ve read the Air manga, some of the OreImo manga, and I read the OreKou manga for a while but got bored waiting for new chapters…
I’m up-to-date with Hamatora, reading through Kagerou Days as it progresses, and I’m keeping up with the Sarishinohara translation. Oh, I need to catch up on Hibiki’s Magic too.
High Score Girl is fun too. Reminds me of One-Punch Man in a way

I don’t feel too strongly about any of those though. The manga I really focus on are of the same two or three genres:

Wandering Son was really good. Planning to re-read it soon actually~ The anime was good too.
Reversible! is different but similar. I enjoy it a lot, but not as much as Wandering Son.
Bokura no Hentai is suffering a bit from the translation process right now It doesn’t have a stable schedule. I reeeaaally like it though, even if it’s not very popular~ Definitely not enough demand for it.
Kodomo no Jikan was a really interesting read. Picked it up in 2009 and pretty much grew up at the same pace as the characters. I actually don’t remember how it ended very well, but I remember being satisfied by it, so it must have been good. The anime was… messy in places, but it wasn’t bad. It just forgot to include things~
Usagi Drop was like 2 different manga. You go from the struggles of a single parent in an otherwise peaceful life, to the over-the-top drama that comes with hitting the teenage years. The transition was well-timed though, so it worked. I’ve heard a lot of people hate on the manga, but the criticisms didn’t start showing up until after the manga ended, so I’m gonna say that’s the anime’s fault.
KamiNomi. When it finally ended I was reaaallly sad! I followed it for a quarter of my life! Probably my favorite series~
DMWL was really good too. It has flaws, but it’s my type of story. Kinda the typical dark shounen story… but strangely a rare type of manga to come across. The anime adaption was disappointing, but the soundtrack was great, so that’s nice.

I’ll be picking up Tokyo Ghoul when Root A finishes. I know they will both end up spoiling each other, and there’ll be F/SN-F/Z style arguments about it, but the anime has a cool opening so I’m going with that first.

Oh, and this recently showed up on reddit so I picked it up - Dating a Team Magma Grunt. It’s a Manhwa, but whatever~ I couldn’t care less about R/S/E, but this is the cutest little thing ever~!

I didn’t really like the KH manga. Wasn’t very entertaining…

You’ve read a lot more manga than I have. XD

the one true manga

1 Like

Im not really much of a manga reader, but I have read some.
Unforunately I havent read Pandora Hearts, but I have some mangas that arent really popular and deserves some attention in their area.

First of all I would recommend to people who likes romance a manga called - “Watashitachi no Tamura-kun” its a slice of life, romance, school manga that caugh my eye because of how well dialogs between characters are made. Also because there is this kind of “mysterious” feeling inside it that gives it really nice atmosphere.
If anyone is also interested for another good romance manga there is this - “unbalance x2” that is also quiet ecchi but, who knows, someone might like it.

Other mangas I have read are pretty common and not worth mentioning in my opinion.

And I am currently tracking only one manga - “Evergreen” (another romance, hue i love those mmmm).

I may add some other mangas later if I feel like it, but when it comes to those I really like, they are the ones above.

Finding manga that catches my interest is incredibility rare here in Tasmania because there is barely any stores that will sell manga and when they do its usually a few books from deep into a series.
Walking into a bookshop/internet cafe and I usually find a few a few of the most recent Bleach books and maybe some Vampire Knight but nothing from the beginning of a series. Didn’t stop me from ordering in from other states.
So I became a proud owner of one of my favorite series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya manga 1-5 and the entire anime series on disc.

I read a lot of Manga, so I’ll try to keep this short, since my list of noteworthy manga would be way too long.

I do read Pandora Hearts. I think it’s great, but the huge time gaps between releases make it really hard to follow. By the time a new chapter appears, I’ve already forgotten what happened in the 5 chapters prior to it. A common problem.

My favorite and definitely recommendable Manga are:
The World God Only Knows - every VN player should have read this
Hayate no Gotoku - really makes me laugh every time. Too bad that there wasn’t much plot happening the past few years, but when plot did happen, it was strong.
Iris Zero - currently on hiatus again but I really pray that it’ll resume one day. It’s a pretty “smart” manga with awesome characters, likeable art and an interesting setting.
Shinigami-sama to 4-nin no Kanojo - I have yet to see the ending and I’m very very sad about how short it turned out in the end. I love pretty much everything about it. It’s one of the few manga that I have picked up immediately after the first chapter appeared.

Among the many ongoing manga I’m currently reading, the ones I’d like to mention are: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Liar Game, Online: The Comic, Gakkou Gurashi! (looking forward to the Anime and so should you! It’s kinda Key-like), Hibiki no Mahou, Yandere Kanojo and To aru Kagaku no Railgun. There’s also a few manhwas and a ton of romcoms on my list ^^

PS: I wonder if someone here has read Mahoraba?

2 Likes

It got better every single arc as well (up until the writer was forced to end it short.)
If we go by what the anime split everything into - The first season was fun, the second was fun with more characters and plot, the third was fun but with more plot, drama and some interesting developments, and the arc after season 3 was all of that put together. The character development was really good too. Reading back over it and noticing all of the foreshadowing~

2 Likes

The protagonist, Katsuragi Keima is one of my top 5 favorite characters. He’s really epic, but with a healthy amount of funny weaknesses. He definitely stands out among harem protagonists.
@Aspirety even made a post about him on his blog ^^

PS: I approve of the true heroine of the series. Would you believe me if I said I’ve seen it coming? ^^

1 Like

I watched the anime, too. I thought the ending of the third season would hint at another season, but it just left a lot of plot threads unanswered instead. (sigh)

The rest of the show was great, but I cringe when I go back and watch it again.

The only Manga I’ve read is still Heaven’s Door, but I own Deadman Wonderland. Borrowed it from my sister and still haven’t started it. o/

The third season had such a good ending imo. The Manga is really worth reading though.

Oh man. The manga + the soundtrack is great. The only thing it’s missing is HanaKana unfortunately. If you’ve read Vernon God Little it’s a nice parallel to draw~ VGL if it was a mad fantasy.

2 Likes

Hmmm manga, eh.

Back in High School, I quite loved the Love Hina manga. It was, and still is, one of my favorites and remains pretty close to me. I tried going for Negima, but it became too shounen-y and I dropped it halfway in =3=

Didn’t read much manga in college, and I only started again towards the end of college with Kami Nomi Zo Shiru Sekai. That was a pretty great manga and I read it all the way to the end~ I actually agree with @Naoki_Saten in that every VN player should read this. The plot was one that I wouldn’t usually go for, and I only started watching the anime because I was curious as to how that guy could apply galge logic into the “real world.” It ended up being soooooo much more! Though the goddess arc was absolutely the best, and I was glad they skipped everything and went straight to that in the Anime (though Yui deserves an OVA of her own, I reckon).

And after that, well, there are shitloads of manga that I read but never followed-through with. Stuff like Koe no Katachi, LB 4koma, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, and a few other anime series that started out as manga. I guess I’m keeping tabs on Heaven’s Door as much as the translation allows me to :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess right now, I’m currently reading Yotsuba& as a way to practice my Japanese (first time reading manga raw). But I’m reading it a loooot slower than I had hoped >_<

2 Likes

Those tips totally work by the way! At least, between the years of 12 and 16. As a lazy kid who walked out of some classrooms and slept in others, with seemingly no hope for the future, and no interaction with anyone from school during free time, I got those tips to work. Just don’t be as obvious as Keima >.>

Yeeeesss! Never have I agreed more with someone (although there were some Tomoko Fujinami fans over at /r/visualnovels earlier…)
She’s my number three favorite character from anime/manga/VNs/LNs just behind Mai in second and Tomoko in first. Not enough characters like her. I can think of one that barely comes close. That one from Nakaimo. Not as good though.
Gotta get on the Im@s bandwagon and see if Makoto comes close. She looks like Ai, so that’s a bonus~

Yui is not only best character, but best theme.

1 Like

I read a ton of manga but as far as the ones I collect I have all of Cage of Eden, D Gray Man, Higurashi, Umineko,ID eNTITY, Doubt, and Judgment.

My first manga and anime were both the same: Azumanga Daioh. After I finished the anime I was sad and wanted more. :smiley:

My favourite manga-exclusive series at the moment is Dengeki Daisy, which to me has the perfect blend of plot, funny moments and romance. I’ve had the 15th volume for a while but haven’t started reading it yet… Manga volume releases are too far apart.

I also got 14 volumes into Bakuman, for which I own the whole boxset and read most of on a family holiday where there was really not much to do. Haven’t read it since, though, but I really liked it - Incredible art and an unusual story from the guys behind Death Note, that also gives a nice insight (if a bit exaggerated) into the life of manga authors and the manga industry.

Last on my list is the two spin-off volumes of K-On - High School and College. Absolutely adored the anime (to me it was one of those that I never wanted to see end) so I had to get any continuation.

Can’t argue with that. Epic arrangement of her version of the ending.

Not so fond of her singing voice though :v

My current favorite manga is Horimiya. It’s about boy meets girl in a certain situation to keep each other’s secret. I don’t really know why but the story really stuck on me.

I read Pandora Hearts but I stopped reading anymore because I got tired of it (yeah I am really unfaithful when it comes to reading manga with lot of chapters). Bleach and Naruto too, I only read about one or two arcs then I stopped. One Piece, I never watched or read it before. Although a lot of people say it’s good and it’s not “overly long” since the story arcs are still in good quality, I just don’t want to catch up reading 40 volumes in one go.

I read a lot of shonen titles before though, like Slam Dunk. That’s an old series but I grew up reading it (and before reading Slam Dunk - I hated basketball so much, because I just don’t have any idea how to play it - I couldn’t even dribble) That was the first time I felt how manga and anime can change people. Beside that, I read a lot of sport series too like Captain Tsubasa and Eyeshield 21 but nowadays I don’t read sports manga anymore, because the demographic just seemed… different from how it is supposed to be.

I don’t usually read adaptation manga though (manga adapted from game or anime or VNs) because I prefer to enjoy the original material. Although Umineko manga seems to be more in-depth compared to the original. But it’s really long…

But seriously if we have to write every single manga we had read, this thread alone is just never enough.