General Manga Discussion

Has anyone seen the “Orange” manga ? The plot seems very interesting. It got a Live action movie adaption. The music used in the trailer is beautiful :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:
Mirai - Kobukuro
The chorus is the best part. Seems like this is a feels story, since it deals with topics that not a lot of people seem to not want to talk about.
The movie was released December of last year, guess I’ll have to find subs if there is any.

I pretty much read it all in a day then a week later it was announced to have 1 more chapter. It’s a pretty good drama with time travel elements.

1 Like

Oh I guess I’m late to this thread.

Favorites:
Last Game. I fricken love last game. Every time I read a new chapter I just become a little girl inside. idk I just reaalllyy like it. It’s really cute and really sweet and my favorite shoujo manga.

Koe no Katachi. I’m surprised no one mentioned this (I think). The one shot is fricken amazing. It’s ~60 pages so I highly recommend you read it. The normal manga is also pretty good.

Orange. I just read it a few days ago and it was really good. I think people already talked about it so I won’t say anything more.

The Friendly Winter. It’s a really cute manhwa featuring a girl who has a growth disorder and a guy who has a mental disorder. That’s all I’ll say about it.

Assassination Classroom. Again, already mentioned. It’s almost ended and at this point I already know it’s going to be one of my favorites.

Hibiki no Mahou. There’s kinda an entire thread about it so I don’t need to say anything.

Honorable mentions (many of which are because they aren’t finished):
Real Account. It’s one of those psychological “stuck in a game” type things but its not an mmo this time yay. It hasnt had consistent releases though.

Relife. This might be moved to favorites. I really like the everything. It has consistent updates and I like the romance and stuff.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari. I originally read the manga but I wanted more so I read the original Web novel as well. Apparently the light novel is in publication and the manga is based on the new light novel and not the web novel so I’m reading to see where the story branches off and stuff.

Nukoduke. Hngghh what the hell even is this? It’s like a cute SoL thing that isn’t about cute girls doing cute things but it’s still cute. It’s really light hearted and stuff idk what else to say.

Saki. I do not recommend because I assume that most people on an English speaking forum wouldn’t care about mahjong. I like it because I like mahjong and find the manga really excited with RINSHAN KAIHOU and all that. There’s also the hinted yuri ship which is great.

Is it better than the manga? I love the full manga and normally don’t bother with one-shots of things that were picked up in full.

If you read the full manga then the one shot probably won’t give you any more. The one-shot was just so powerful in such a short time but I think that exact plot of the one shot is covered in the first 3 chapters of the full manga and then it moves on after. You might want to check it out anyways.
EDIT: I read the one shot again and now I want to read the entire manga again… tfw story is just too damn good…

1 Like

I’m currently reading 孤高の人 now, and only halfway through it. I’m also reading Toradora! LN and there`s a bunch of LN and manga on my backlog, so maybe in the distant future I can give Arslan Senki a try.

1 Like

The Your Lie In April creator made a new manga called Sayonara watashi no Cramer. I can’t find a synopsis for it. Is it a good manga ? Is it like YLIA in a sense, or is it more slice-of-life ?

1 Like

Kodansha USA is simulpubbing it on Comixology if you want to give it a try
It’s a sequel to her previous series “Sayonara Football” so you’ll want to read that first (it’s only 8 chapters)
I haven’t read any yet since Comixology isn’t in Canada and I’m not really into soccer so I can’t really help with the rest.

1 Like

Errr… Okay so I read lots of manga them being mainly Shoujos like Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Ao Haru Ride, Nijiro DAYS, Last Game, Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji, Strobe Edge, Ore sama Teacher (this one’s considered a shoujo although it doesn’t really give a shoujo feeling haha)… and many MANY other shoujos.

I do read other genres of mangas, of course. I really liked Pandora Hearts, Deadman Wonderland, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Orange (yay! the anime’ll come out this summer prepare yourselves for the feels!), Assassination Classroom (Uuuuuh, Koro sensei…), Naruto (I read ALL chapters on one month haha!), Bleach and Nisekoi. I remember that I tried once starting from the very beginning One Piece and actually read around 130 chapters but… impossible task…I’m thinking about getting back on reading it but I still don’t feel like it.

And there’s also many MANY other mangas. I remember once trying to read an ecchi (Fairy Tail and To-love-Ru) but it was way too hilarious so I stopped.

1 Like

Thanks @Doublethree1

Oh, and speaking of Manga. I just finished “Orange” a few weeks ago and man, that was one heck of a roller coaster.
I can’t wait for the anime :smiley:
That Ueda trash should be slit. She’s irritating.

1 Like

This is a Key manga but I’m not sure if it needs its own topic so I’ll put it here unless its deemed necessary.

So I found a manga called “Kanon & Air: Sky” with the writer just being credited as Key and the artist Izumi Rei (Hibiki’s Magic) so I assume its official. Its 14 chapters of what is mostly Kanon sidestories with a few at the end being for Misuzu and the first and last being crossover chapters. While nothing special I did find some interesting things like (Shiori & Sayuri route spoilers) Sayuri critiquing Kaori on ignoring Shiori.

I was wondering if anyone else had read this and what they thought of it.

1 Like

I have that! I really love it. It is fluffy as far as the content goes, but it is a fun read as a fan, and I really like the sketchy style of line art.

2 Likes

I’ve started up my Ranma 1/2 collection again after I lost them all when I moved. I absolutely love it but I only ever got to vol. 15 before, about the halfway point. I’m excited to reread them!

1 Like

Have you read Mermaid’s Saga by Rumiko Takahashi? It is very different from Ranma, but it is my personal favorite. It is quite a bit darker, but worth checking out if you can find it.

Let’s see… Mangas?
What was my first one? Considering the first one as the first I did read whole, umh…
I guess… it was either Sailor Moon or Dr. Slump
I also have read Mermaid Melody

I am reading Hayate no Gotoku, the Touhou official mangas (all of them), Ad Astra per Aspera, the NEW Sakura Card Captor manga, and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

I’m sure taht I have read of checked more mangas before, but my poor memory doesn’t let me remember which ones right now.

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven’t actually read it! I’ll definitely check it out if I get a chance.

1 Like

The hiatus is finally over!! Iris Zero is back! Chapter 34 is out!
And here I spent decades believing that hope is never rewarded…

2 Likes

Woah is this real life? Let’s hope the author’s health doesn’t relapse again like last time it came off hiatus…

This will be embarrassing to admit, but most of the manga I tend to read (at least what I’ve read so far of course) are either shounen of various kinds, dramas and romance whether they are very serious subject matter or not, or iyashikeis (if that terms really exists for manga like it does for anime) which have started to become just as enjoyable to me as the drama/romance genre.

I am seriously surprised how much I tend to enjoy watching Non Non Biyori as an anime (didn’t get around to the manga yet), reading Sweetness and Lightning, and reading and watching Sunshine Sketch. I know Mushishi, Natsume’s Book of Friends, Yotsuba, Aria, and others will all be different in their own way but it’s still some of the most enjoyable material I’ve ever read or watched. It makes for a good overall suggestion for someone who can enjoy something that is slower-paced or can handle something soothing or geuninely happy. :happy:

1 Like

While I am not a HUGE manga reader, I have read and am currently reading quite a few of them. I will give some recommendations to some lesser known titles (relatively unknown, anyway and with a few exceptions) that I think are rather underrated/are some of my favorites. Most I am still reading but some of these I have finished reading. This is both kinda a list and serves as some recommendations/suggestions. Apologies for the massive length of this post, but I wanted to include a little of everything.

Seinen/Romance:

• Kimi Wa Pet: This manga isn’t terribly long, but contains easily some of the most human characters I have ever read in any manga. It is somewhat similar in the vein to a Slice of Life manga but instead centers around a magazine publication rather than a high school. While the plot may not be some epic tale or quest, it is a great fairly easy going manga with some well-written drama, comedy and of course dynamic and realistic characterization.

• Deep Love: Compared to Kimi, this one is a LOT heavier/darker. It’s rather short but is a very grim and depressing tale that is definitely not for the feint of heart. It still is a very well told story all the way through and has a very haunting/sad ending. I would almost compare this tonally with other manga like Berserk, though I wouldn’t say it’s quite as dark (still very explicit though).

• Kamisawa ga Uso wo Tsuku: This will easily be the shortest one on the list, but by GOD is this one fantastic. It is a very short (like 5 chapters short) story that at first, seems like just a simple love story. Underneath it though is some brilliant metaphors, downright GORGEOUS artwork, fantastic characterization and some very sharp writing. This is one that you can attempt to dive deeper in to examine or just enjoy the ride.

• Oyasumi Punpun: I am still reading this one but if you like the darker/more psychological spin on the typical school format, then this is a great manga to read. Like Deep Love, there is some really disturbing stuff in it though, so if you aren’t into that then I probably wouldn’t. But if you don’t mind some uncomfortable/dark themes, then there should be no problem. It is also very… abstract and weird but I think that just adds to the charm.

Shoujo:

• Dengeki Daisy: I am still reading this one actually but of all the manga I have read thus far, this is likely my favourite of all time. It has some of the best characterization I have seen in any manga and definitely goes far in breaking shoujo conventions by having its protagonist (Teru) slowly become braver and compliments the main lead (Kurosaki) really well. There is even a lot of stuff in there that affected me emotionally on a very deep level (comparable to some of my favourite Key stories), especially around the midpoint of the series.

• Ouran High School Host Club: Obviously, this is well known, but I think for anyone who really enjoyed the anime I argue the source material is even better. Especially the ending, which I felt gave the characters much more development and shows you where they all ended up in the future. Some may not like that it moved away from being a fairly unique reverse harem/comedy with romance elements and moved to a more romanced/typical shoujo based story, but it does it really well and I felt it was a smooth and natural transition, since the anime and earlier manga chapters had hints of this already.

Ecchi:

• Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga: This is fairly lighthearted ecchi material, though this one comes with a bit of a warning ahead of time. If you are like me and get uncomfortable with… well, lets say family relations that are a little TOO close for comfort, then you might want to skip Chapter 0 and 4.5. The stories are broken up into a few cute and well-written love stories. It’s all really adorable and has an interesting premise overall.

• Suzuka/Fuuka: This one is definitely a bit more popular (especially the latter with the anime adaptation) and fairly polarizing, but I really like these two mangas. They are both done by the same mangaka and boast some amazing artwork, well written/fairly realistic characters and a interesting romance. It definitely has some issues with pacing (especially in Suzuka) and some plot points some may seem as cop-outs, but I think the emotionally deep storytelling and characters are good enough to push past some of the problems these manga has.

Rom-Com/Slice of Life:

• Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai/Haganai: This one I finished somewhat recently and defintely delivers on the comedy aspect of things. Nice balance of well timed jokes and later on starts developing characters and creates some well thought out Drama. Honestly just a very humourous but enjoyable manga (though it isn’t finished and may or may not be on hiatus).

• Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou: I have been currently re-reading this one and is overall a really good piece of slice of life manga. The art quality is VERY high, the characters while one dimensional at first
    grow into more fleshed out people who start to become your own friends in a sense and sports easily one of the most adorable female characters in manga history.

• Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu: This one is fairly light on story and definitely leans to the more Slice of Life side of things, but I definitely think this one is really underrated. The comedy is great and
    the characters are really enjoyable, especially Komi herself. This manga is honestly worth reading just for her alone.

• Onani Master Kurosawa: Ok, so this one is… interesting to say the least. I know some might be put off by the introduction to it but its honestly far deeper than it seems at first and has some incredibly deep character development for its protagonist. I am still reading through it but for those who aren’t put off by the concept for first couple chapters, this is definitely worth a read.

Action/Shounen:

• Vagabond: A great historical/adult long running manga (300+ chapters) that has some immensely beautiful art and some considerably complex characters and stories. Haven’t read a ton of this, but I really liked what I was reading.

• Bokurano: I read a little bit of this but… DAMN this one is something. The way I describe it is if you mixed Evangelion with Madoka Magica. Definitely another disturbing psychological one that deals with some really grim circumstances for those who are into that kind of storytelling.

• Pokemon Adventures: Wanted to end with a much more uplifting manga compared to the last two. A solid adventure manga that is just really enjoyable to read through. The protagonist has some solid character depth and is certainly one of the better Pokemon doujinji out there.

2 Likes