General Anime Discussion

Boring with this season anime… really…
Be a fan of “love-dovey” anime, I have to go back watching AmagamiSS, Nagi no Asukara… :sleepy:
Anyway I’m back after 3 months :flushed:
And who can teach me how to turn off this message in homepage?

Welcome back! We haven’t seen you in a while. These are the most popular topics since you’ve been away.

Yay, KyoAni finally does something WORTH WATCHING again. Something that can help cure the 8 years of Kyo-Disaster

2 Likes

While I love the manga if you didn’t like Hibike you’re probably not gonna like this. Also 8 years? After Story, Nichjou, K-On, Chu-2, Hyouka, Free were all released less than 8 years ago.if you didn’t like any of those you are for sure not going to like A Silent Voice.

Oh, I liked Hibike. But most of the things after After Story were pretty average. I’ve watched K-On and Chuu and Free and Hyouka but for the most part, they were pretty much plotless and episodic. But this is having a movie adaption. KyoAni’s series might not be as well, but their movie adaptions (not recap) are pretty good.

OK if it was the episodic nature you’d probably be fine. It’s a teen drama with SoL elements which is similar to a lot of their shows which is why I thought you might not like it. Even if this was a TV series it probably wouldn’t be episodic anyway.

1 Like

I’m one of those people who enjoyed it a lot. I can see why you dropped it though, the characters may seem archetypal in the surface considering the plot-driven storytelling, but they actually have a lot of depth, and while the Arakawa manga did well to capture that (at the expense of a really, really slow pace, but it actually works for its kind of story), the anime kind of didn’t do it very well.

As an example, Silvermask might only begin having in-depth exploration of his character by Season 2, but there was already so much exploration to his character in the manga early on, especially considering how far the manga was left behind story-wise. :<

I’d actually like to recommend the manga if the story is your thing. It had better character interactions and exploration, and a more solid storytelling in general, but if you already found the pacing of the anime to be slow, I don’t know if the manga’s pacing will work for you though. Also the manga art was inconsistent at first, but it’s actually improving (unlike the anime haha).

Fuck, I was so excited for it too.

CAN YOU FEEEL ZA RAAAAAAAAAAV TONAAAAAAAAAAAAIGHT

I guess I found my favorite show of this season
fuking Hikaru Midorikawa voicing perfect men

3 Likes

You should mention the title of the anime so that we can find what you’re talking about :stuck_out_tongue:

just look at the subs in the pic, thats the name of the show !

Depends on why you didn’t like Hibike. If it was because you don’t like band club anime you’ll be fine.

See the difference between all those examples you mentioned and Koe no Katachi is that it actually has substance :stuck_out_tongue:

Hibike almost had substance. Aaaaaalmost. They’re getting there.

1 Like

If you mean that long list I was listing shows worth watching Kyoani made post-2008 not comparing to Koe no Katachi, if you just mean Hibike I think there was substance in its plot.

Hibike had a nice animation, it was rightfully anticipated and detailed… And… Um… (tries to think about other good things about the anime) There was that one BGM track I really liked…

In fact, it was the first KyoAni show I did not drop (tried Chuu2 but way too much comedy and Hyouka had its characters movements stupidly forced and an uninteresting story I couldn`t help but drop it in the 1st episode)

So all is not fine then. :komue:

What do you mean by substance?

I’m currently watching Barakamon, and I’m almost done with the series at this point so I’m pretty certain i can judge it.
God this series is fantastic. I know I’m a bit late on the hype train, but it’s subject really got to me. I recommend it to anyone who wants to find an actually good slice of life anime. When I started, I expected stupid “comedy” with few good moments, but the show totally surprised me with life lessons, feel good moments, unique and fun characters and a fantastic soundtrack. Honestly, it’s worth a shot

1 Like

No, there’s a misunderstanding here; I’m saying that all those shows you listed aren’t worth watching

Oh except you put in After Story and Nichijou and I didn’t realize that, so that’s my mistake. But everything after those in the list… well…

I personally can’t talk about Hibike Euphonium because I never watched it but… Why is it that people are constantly comparing Koe no Katachi to Hibike Euphonium? Plot-wise, I don’t see how they’re any similar, and just comparing it to the genre (teen drama with SoL elements) then there’s a lot more to compare it with.

Decent character growth, for one? At least, the Koe no Katachi one-shot had a lot of then in a short period of time

really? I loved K-On and the first season of Chu-2.[quote=“Pepe, post:387, topic:27”]
Plot-wise, I don’t see how they’re any similar, and just comparing it to the genre (teen drama with SoL elements) then there’s a lot more to compare it with.
[/quote]

The main reason was @Totoro_Futaki said [quote=“Totoro_Futaki, post:369, topic:27”]
Yay, KyoAni finally does something WORTH WATCHING again.
[/quote]
which I took to mean he didn’t like anything they’ve made in 8 years, looking at what they’ve done almost everything is SoL (or has elements) and I couldn’t imagine it just being a coincidence he didn’t like 6 fairly popular shows so I tried finding something they had in common which would either be 1. drama (usually school-life/teen) with SoL elements (or no drama such as Nichijou and K-On) or 2. the episodic thing but since the original comment implies everything in 8 years that included Clannad After Story and Hibike which aren’t episodic. I brought it up saying KnK would be a teen drama with SoL elements and since Hibike is their newest show that fits that bill I just used it.[quote=“Pepe, post:387, topic:27”]
Decent character growth, for one?
[/quote]
If you’d like I can link someone’s ~80 min video (split in two parts) talking about why he loves K-On! including showing how Yui grows through the series despite being based off a gag manga. Chu-2 and Hibike also had character growth and since Free is a sports series I’d assume it does but I haven’t seen it.