General Anime Discussion

General thread for discussion of Anime. Some prompts:

• What are you watching at the moment?

• What are some of your favourite Anime?

• What Anime are you looking forward to?

Please use common sense with [spoiler] tags.

Okay, anime discussion is go~!

I am a lazybum and struggle to watch anime. Chances are, if it came out after 2011, I havenā€™t seen it x.x but I have watched a few of the greats of 2012 and 2013. 2014 looks to be a great year!

Currently I am watching all of the funny long ones as usual (Shin-chan, Doraemon, and Sazae-san) and I am watching the currently airing Nobunaga and Golden Time. Both are coming to an end though!
Gotta say, I wasnā€™t expecting anything from Nobunagaā€¦ but it got goooood!
I have just started Hamatora (love it <3) and Noragami, and I am also planning to watch Giovanniā€™s Island, Wolf Children and Karneval eventually.
Re-watching all of the greats such as Metropolis, Tokyo Godfathers and Akiraā€¦ maybe even Ghost in the Shell~
Finally I am planning to watch some older stuffā€¦ mainly Hotarubi no Mori e, Sakamichi no Apollon, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (all of which I have been delaying since their respective release dates.)
I will of course be watching my bi-monthly dose of Kanon '06~

My favorite anime areā€¦ pretty strange choices. They are good anime, but not what some people would call favorite. XD
Hereā€™s my top 5~
Top favorite is Guilty Crown! I honestly canā€™t find anything to hate about it. Music, animation, plot, charactersā€¦ itā€™s all beautiful~
Anohana and Tiger & Bunny are up on my favorites. Pretty popular shows~
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai is a biiiig favorite for me, and I can never figure out why. It just feelsā€¦ different. It is full of anime tropes and typical plotlinesā€¦ but it feels like a break from the typical boring anime. Itā€™s lighthearted and comedic, but doesnā€™t throw away a good story~
Digimon Movie 2 is my final favorite. Itā€™s a movieā€¦ so Iā€™m not too sure if it countsā€¦ but I have watched ā€˜Our War Gameā€™ so many times that I remember it word-for-word. I used to sit down and watch it all, rewind the tape, and watch it all againā€¦ every nightā€¦ for yeeeaaars! It just never left my memories~

Finally for what Iā€™m looking forward to~ As I said before, 2014 looks great! Better than these last two years at leastā€¦
Akuma no Riddle looks pretty cool~ My older sister loves shoujo-ai and sheā€™s always trying to push it onto me, so this seems like the perfect show~ ^^; Ahahaā€¦
Selector Infected WIXOSS looks like it has promise, but I donā€™t know much about it.
Mekaku City Actors is something Iā€™ll be watching, simply because Kido opens up some cool cosplay opportunities =w=
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin is on Noitamina, so itā€™ll be great.
Gokukoku no Brynhildr sounds like it could be great, but Iā€™m a bit wary of it.
Hitsugi no Chaika has caught my attention for now, and Isshuukan Friends sounds like it is the best parts of Ef~

There are a lot of NEET based anime this year thoughā€¦ Itā€™s a bit strange.

• What are you watching at the moment?: Whatever @Aspirety forces me to watch next. :stuck_out_tongue: Just finished Baccano!, and started Psycho Pass and Danganronpa (but Iā€™m playing the game at the moment as well so want to finish that first).
  • What are some of your favourite Anime?: Favourite Anime is probably K-On!, but also like Attack on Titan, Free!, Cardcaptor Sakura and a few others.
  • What Anime are you looking forward to?: Looking forward to the new season of Free! and Sailor Moon.
  1. I just recently finished Steins;Gate(the main series, not the 2nd OVA or the movie) and I absolutely love it. Itā€™s a show that definetely deserved the acclaim it got. Iā€™m gonna review it on my blog very soon. As of now Iā€™m watching Isshuukan (One Week) Friends and itā€™s really good. I highly recommend it.

2. Some of my favorite Anime shows include
    i) Detective Conan
    ii) Clannad
    iii) Steins;Gate
    iv) Angel Beats
    v) Higurashi
    vi) Anohana
    vii) Inuyasha
    viii) Cardcaptor Sakura
    ix) Chobits

3. This summer Iā€™m gonna be watching Shakugan no Shana and Fullmetal Alchemist (2003). I have heard some good things about both series. After those two Iā€™m gonna watch Fate/Zero and finally get to Air and Little Busters!.

2 Likes

I watch almost solely by recommendation. Rarely does it happen that I stumble upon an interesting anime myself.

My current Top 10 would beā€¦

10 - Code Geass: If thereā€™s one reason why I prefer it over Death Note itā€™s the ending.
9 - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu: Fun, and the Shoushitsu movie was really damn good.
8 - Spice and Wolf: I canā€™t even begin to put in words why I like this anime so much.
7 - Elfen Lied: My starting point in animeā€¦ without it I would never have gotten into it.
6 - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Most deceptive first glance EVER.
5 - Baccano!: Great cast, awesome plot development, fun times.
4 - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: First freaky, then mindblowing, then outright amazing.
3 - Little Busters!: Subpar adaptation puts it at JUST Number 3.
2 - Steins;Gate: Awesome duo of main characters, gripping plot, just wonderful allround.
1 - Clannad: Two words - After Story.

As I go mostly by recommendation, I donā€™t really have anything in particular to look forward to. I guess the third season of Working!!, and the Umineko Chiru adaptation that will eventually start existing (itā€™s gotta be betterā€¦ right?).

2 Likes

Sorry. Umineko Chiru anime will never happen.

Why do you think that?

The original Anime ended in 2009. Thatā€™s 5 years with no indication that there will be a continuation. My understanding is that it sold well below expectations. People just donā€™t want Deen to butcher a second season. I canā€™t see it happening.

Been a while since I updated~
Recently I finished Wolf Children which was kinda boring, and Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru (donā€™t judge me >.>) I also rewatched Now and Then, Here and There which is always entertaining. I finally finished Tatami Galaxy too! It dragged on waaay too long, but I kept going back to watch a couple of episodes every day. Not amazing, but I can totally understand why people love it so much.
Finished Isshuukan a couple days ago. It was good. I canā€™t figure out if I like or hate the protag, but Bro-dude is amazing, and I eventually warmed up to 420-chan. She reminds me of an old friend I had~ (Ohgodthatsoundsrude.)
Oh oh! I tried to watch Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei again, butā€¦ yeah, no Iā€™m never going to get past the first episode of that anime.

Iā€™m currently watching Re:Hamatora. Itā€™s as annoying as the first season. Amazing, then random comedy, then amazing, then letdowns, then amazing. Needs more Hajime and itā€™ll be perfect.

Iā€™m planning to watch Stop!! Hibari-kun! (a childhood anime <3) Kimikiss, I My Me!, and the famed Rose of Versailles. Iā€™m having a weird cutesie romance anime month, so Iā€™m going to burn through as many as I can before I loose interest!

My top 5 has changed quite a bit recently.

1. Guilty Crown - Itā€™s not moving.
  2. Tari Tari - The best transfer student character youā€™ll ever see is in this anime.
  3. Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - Cutest romance 2014. The support characters are brilliant.
  4. Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - Itā€™s dropped a couple places. Itā€™ll probably shoot back up to number 2 if I ever rewatch it again, but I need time to let the franchise leave me ;~;
  5. White Album 2 - No words. Only doki dokis.

Good point, but I donā€™t think it will ā€œnever happenā€. ā€œNot happen anytime soonā€ sounds plausible, though.

Watching Shinsekai Yori right now, Iā€™m up to the halfway point. Anyone else seen/watching this?

The Umineko anime was hated by a lot of people. The source material is a bit too crazy to adapt well with anime standards~ ^^;

I watched Shinsekai Yori with my sister when it aired. She adored it - showing humanity in a negative light. I found it to be a bit boring. None of the characters really mattered to me, and the overall feel of the anime just made me want to stop watching it. Exposition for daaaays. I understand what the director was going for, but making me hate a world so much that I simply canā€™t enjoy the anime is a bad move. I couldnā€™t really appreciate what it was trying to do, but my sister is very critical to everything that isnā€™t Shoujo-ai so it must be pretty good! Although, Shinsekai had itā€™s Shoujo-Ai moments~

The first part was disturbing and the story was cut short! THERE, I SAID IT!
Seriously though, It felt like they forgot to add in a conflict to end on, so they added multiple, and then forgot about all but one of them. The animation was bad whenever it wasnā€™t a close-up of a characterā€™s face or a transformation. At points, the story was more boring than Totoro (the movie famous for never doing anything ever,) and the overall message of the film was completely forgettable. It was a bad Ghibli knock-off with some interesting ideas, a cute childhood montage, and some drama that had potentialā€¦

YOU ASTRONOMICAL RUMP.

ā€˜The story was boringā€™
Taka confirmed for literally heartless. Might wanna look for some cute girls in the afterlife.
All your problems stem from not caring about the characters, unlike every other human being in the world.
Well aside from complaints about animation which is more a ā€˜how high are you?ā€™

It was boring. There was little conflict, and when conflict finally came along, the movie suddenly ended.
As I said, the middle bit was cute. Seeing them grow up was nice. But that was all - it was nice. It wasnā€™t interesting, or enjoyable, or memorable, and while it did actually make me feel for some of the characters by the end, they didnā€™t do ANYTHING with the characters beyond the mediocre melodrama that was all shoehorned it at the last minute. It was a movie of character development that went nowhere, and rushed writing.

Can I just say I disagree with everything youā€™re saying ā€˜_ā€™

I watched it a couple weeks ago. Iā€™d heard people say it was a worthwhile movie, so I picked it up with some interest. While the start of it put me off for a bit, I eventually watched it all because cute kids annoying their parent is nice to watch. I started to get enthralled by the sudden drama. The weather is bad! Angsty teen kid wants to be a lone wolf! Girl at school is affected by it! Aaaandā€¦ endā€¦

Itā€™s better than anything Hosada has done so far, but the characters were flat until the ending scenes despite having a childhoodā€™s worth of development, and the story went nowhere. Sometimes the story would randomly slow down and weā€™d get scenes that are completely pointless, then it would randomly speed up and skip 3 or 4 years of time. If the film had more time to actually do stuff, it could have been great, but it didnā€™t and it wasnā€™t.

The only reason I can see someone actually liking it, is because ā€œOh, itā€™s kids and family struggles and emotional!ā€ Get dragged in by the stereotypical family-film concept and then become totally oblivious to the terrible execution.

Pretty with no good substance, just like my ex.

I feel the same way about Shinkaiā€™s films. Shitty stories and characters but damn itā€™s wrapped in a nice package.

1 Like

It just felt a lot like reality to me. The universal themes of growing up and raising a family in a difficult situation, and watching them grow up and eventually leave you are things everyone can understand. I think it did it very well. If you start criticizing that kind of story telling, youā€™re essentially turning your back on every disney film ever :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait. Taka I thought you said you wanted realistic characters AND listed Hosoda as an example of this:

And if Wolf Children is

[quote=ā€œTakafumi, post:17, topic:27ā€]
better than anything Hosoda has done so far
[/quote]then why donā€™t you like it? Im so confused.

The characters were so flat for most of the film, that I struggled to even connect with the characters. I havenā€™t raised a family in a difficult situation either, so itā€™s not exactly a relateable film for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Thatā€™s not true. I used to love Disney movies~ Had every Disney-related VCR released in the UK when I was growing up =w= Disney is most certainly not reality though, the early films were created to manipulate the growth of working class children, while the later films were created to cash in. I think Disney is very different to stuff like Wolf Children though. Despite being gross and very commercialized, I feel that Disney (usually) is better at making believable characters, but worse at providing something meaningful.

They are well-accepted names. I know that my hate of Hosoda isnā€™t popular, and that using his works as examples will make people largely agree with what I said~
In my opinion, Hosoda tries to make realistic characters, but doesnā€™t make his characters do anything remotely interesting. He is pretty much a bad Ghibli. Itā€™s unfortunate, because I loved Our War Game, and judging from my anime-film preferences (Ocean Waves is my favorite) the stuff Hosoda covers is the kind of thing Iā€™d rate highly. He just fails at every hurdle.