General Gaming Discussion

I played Competitive the day it came out and I was really surprised at how serious people were for communicating well and actually trying to win. It definitely made games a lot more enjoyable! Over summer I played a lot of Overwatch with my friends and it’s an absolute blast to play with a team of fun, competent people. Unfortunately everyone’s been busy since so I haven’t played a lot, but Overwatch does such a great job of being a team-centric game.

Pokémon Sun and Moon finally swam over to Europe today. So far I’d like to rename it “Cutscene Corridor Simulator 2016”, but I’m still enjoying it a fair amount. EXP Share off, permadeath! :smiley:

I don’t know if anyone is actually interested in this but since this is gaming discussion I wanted to go and share something around.

I just finished Pokemon Moon 5 days ago (as of now since I finished it in 4 days in total), and I have to say the game is pretty fun overall honestly. The characters, the story, everything were really well placed for me, it’s refreshing in a sense of the idea, and the difficulty for most were pretty good, and this is one thing I’ll give credit to the game:

Usually when I start a Pokemon Game, I would never, and I mean, NEVER, start grinding at the beginning of the game, or at the very least, not grinding until it is called. So, the fact that the game forced me to grind to make my team stronger because of the Totems (which are the things that are IN the game, not really spoilers since its not telling which are the Totems), was a pretty nice touch because it challenges people to do some level ups for me.

I also like how the game looks pretty polished and nice looking at most, with one thing I had an issue with the game though, and Kanon pointed this out on Twitter which I’ll point out too:

The only issue I have with the game is the fact that when it goes double battle, the FPS feels worse compared to the previous titles. You see, Pokemon as a series when it comes to 3D, it doesn’t really nail much in the department with FPS at times, but at least in cases it looked bareable to stand on, but the double battles for the game made it look like absolutely bad: You have not only the Pokemon going 10 FPS, you also have the throwing, the controls, etc, being absolutely slow. I know that might be picky but if you want to add fluidity on this, then work in a way that works better for future games (if they keep on releasing future titles for the 3DS that is as long as the 3DS still lingers and runs around as normal with the sales and such, hopefully).

I’m not sure about the other issue but its more technical that can be fixed with a patch, but they should work on the entire Pokemon Center Glitch, although I heard that the glitch only happens if you go and corrupt the data or mess it up, but then there’s people that don’t do that yet they still get wrecked when saving inside of the Pokemon Center. They can fix that easily with a Patch, as I said.

Other than that, a pretty good game honestly, a mass improvement of previous 3DS main story game titles, way more inmersive in the game department, more character driven and it has a lot to deliver for most in terms of story. Rather short, but in the end it comes off as satisfying.

1 Like

I think if you got the story and locations of Pokemon SuMo and put them in Pokemon X/Y, you’d have the best Pokemon game out by far. I had a bunch of problems with the game, though I mostly echo what you said.

First, the tutorial section of the game is 3 islands long, which is pretty ridiculous, especially when replaying the game. Unskippable lessons on all the basics scattered throughout the game get very annoying. That isn’t all though. As part of the tutorial, the game constantly gives you items so you can learn how they work… And this isn’t random items that you can find by searching the overworld… Trainers just outright give you large quantities of stuff. I was given more Pokeballs, Revives, and Potions than I would ever need to use. I just never had to use the Pokemart. The tutorial problem goes EVEN FURTHER, as you begin to notice every single trainer for the first 10 hours of the game have a max team size of 2 Pokemon. Hello? What happened to difficult curves? Gamefreak, you’ve just drawn a flat straight line.

Secondly, and this is what puts it below X/Y (a game which I thought was insanely boring) is the selection of Pokemon in the game. The only Pokemon you are going to see often in the wild are either super old super common Pokemon, or fan favorites. Areas have such few common Pokemon that you constantly bump into the same species. Nothing dampens my excitement like going into the wild for the first time to catch some starting Pokemon and only finding Pichu for 5 minutes, especially if you’re like me and plan to ditch the starter Pokemon as quickly as possible. This goes on for the entire game, and spreads across the entire region. I see Wingull and Rattata everywhere on the first island, and by the time I finish the game, I’m still seeing Raticate and Pelipper. But if you want to catch one of the cool new Pokemon, you’re probably gonna want to look up how to find them. A trainer told me Bounsweet existed somewhere and 20 minutes of searching later I stopped believing him.

Another problem was that, outside of the first island, there was no reason to explore or revisit places, which is always a shame. I barely remember anything about Alola after the first island (except for the Kanto clone locations and the motel locations) and I’ve played it twice. The game does a great job of constantly bringing back familiar faces, but it doesn’t always bring back familiar locations. It doesn’t even update a lot of previously visited locations after you complete the game! You can go back to a key location and hear the end of the cutscene that played there. The game needed a Lumiose island or something. You could have put that terribly located shopping mall from Hau’oli there!

I’ve heard people talk about the game being difficult, which was really surprising to me, because I swept entire teams (which of course were never full with 6 Pokemon) throughout the game consistently with only one rubbish Pokemon - My Lilligant, a pure grass type Pokemon, with some pretty good IVs and no managed EV training. This extended all the way to the post game. I had to purposefully avoid every trainer to try and stay at similar levels to the enemy trainer teams. It’s a shame, and it ruins a lot of the story towards the end of the game.

Thankfully a difficulty and species redistribution hack can fix almost all of this, so I’m looking forward to fan versions of the games.

I’m honestly interested as to how double battles fare on the New 3DS FPS wise, as it wouldn’t be the first 3DS game to be worse performance wise on the old 3DS. Hyrule Warriors, I’m looking at you.
Granted, for HW the performance issue is for the whole game which is why I would have found it better for that one if it had been a New 3DS exclusive title, whereas double battles only make up a smaller part of Sun and Moon, but it must really suck for those that only have the normal 3DS and want to play doubles competitively.

As someone who really only plays Pokémon to collect them all and since gen 6 started to train every single evolution line with controlled distributed EVs to actually experience every Pokémon first hand, the whole difficulty thing actually doesn’t matter too much for me, especially as I like to do said EV-distributing as early as possible, which lead to a little bit of overleveling on my part. Still, it is a problem the games have, just one that doesn’t effect me much.

1 Like

What i currently playing?

• WoT : Blitz
    Since it can be played mobile and PC. and you can do some “pew” with tank so why not?

• Heart of Iron IV
    Because my ambition is conquer the world and i can’t conquer the world in this era…

What my favorite?

• All Kairosoft Games
    because they still consistent using Pixel art in mobile game in this “Realistic Graphic” era

• Command&Conquer : RA2, General, General : Zero Hour
    this one used to be great RTS. until EA take the tittle and atleast General and General : Zero Hour is not bad

• SAMP (San Andreas Multiplayer)
    well it’s about long journey… i got many memories from SAMP… Friendship, Betrayal, Wars, Drama, and sort of thing… and now this game dying… many server got closed(and sometime re-open) but sometime i still wandering around many SAMP server

What game i looking forward?

I didn’t have… maybe someone can recommend me one?

1 Like

I can see we have similar tastes

What I play:
World of Tanks
-Still working to get that Maus
Paradox titles (Hearts of iron IV, Victoria II, Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II)
-Strategy is my game, also making digital babies
Emulators of old discontinued consoles (mostly the psp, playing disgaea, Gods Eater Burst)

add my wargaming account…
LoliconExE (Currently playing WoT : Blitz (Server Asia ofc))
Maybe sometime we can do Platoon…

sadly, WoTBlitz and WoT have different servers so we can’t really platoon
And I can’t play Blitz
Just in case you decide to play the pc version too: my ign is JMAT08

I can see where you are coming from honestly. For Takafumi, maybe I didn’t really found that many problems with the game but I had a bit of sense where it could have been better. But I think it’s still better than XY somehow because of how they handled the experience along with the adventure. Not gonna lie I’m taking a bit of a break but in around 5 days I spent 93 hours on: Poke Beans, Grinding, Trading, Competitive, Missions, and Battle Tree. I may get tired of it soon probably, but I think it would be fine anyways.

I think Bounsweet is more of the trade from what I was told if I can recall but I got my Bounsweet via randomly going to Wonder Trade (I give Baby Pokemon that I don’t need anymore to those that would probably want them, giving starters for instance). My Tsareena is at level 58 and it’s fucking good in a way in attack stats though.

I guess I didn’t cared much about those, but for the first issue I can see where you’re coming from since it then wouldn’t help with grinding the teams much except for the final islands. I still use the Pokemart because I would want stuff for myself just in case and such. I never really had much of an issue except for the Double Battle stuff.

For Vyse: I don’t really have that many 3DS games from the start, I have like a total number of 10 or smth along with the DS ones (including mostly Pokemon games because my brother confiscated some of my games and outright sold them in the past), but for the FPS in doubles it bugs me a lot of times. Maybe I wouldn’t know much from the overall technical area of Nintendo’s products when it comes to this, but it really bugs me, especially if I do online competitive battles. It gets annoying to the point where it takes away the fun.

So now I also finished the new Pokémon game, and I really loved the story. Unlike other Pokémon games, I can wholeheartedly say that this is a good RPG. Not saying that the other aren’t, but you could compress them to “Beat the 8 Gym Leaders, save the world by beating some sort of team and then beat the Elite 4 and the Champ.” and you wouldn’t really lose much because I felt that there never was much special beyond that. With Sun and Moon however, while they kind of stay with the formula, just switching Gyms for Trials and Kahunas, they told a way better story. Or at the very least, the story could catch me better.

Now I want to go a bit more in depth what I liked about Sun and Moon’s story and a few other thoughts that came up while playing. So Sun and Moon spoilers beyond here.

First of, Team Skull. From the very beginning, I couldn’t take these guys seriously, and now that I finished the game, I think I was never supposed to. By making them so silly, the writers accomplished that by the time I reached their headquarters I already liked them a lot. They were basically lovable idiots that have gone a bit astray in life,
(also Clannad Yukine Route spoilers)not unlike the delinquents from Yukine’s Route in Clannad.

Next, the Aether Foundation. The plot twist of them not being as good as they seem was a bit too obvious for me, what with Lillie escaping from the Paradise in the opening cutscene, the first higher up you meet being unlikable and Lusamine having a slasher smile after you first meet that Ultra Beast in the Aether Paradise. However, with Team Skull having hints of goodness and being represented with darker colours throughout the game, and the Aether Foundation having hints of evil and being represented with lighter colours throughout the game, I feel that both teams play into a motif of light and shadow, mainly that shadow or night isn’t only bad but at the same time light or day isn’t only good either. With other words, the teams of this game work with the titles of the game again.

Third, Lusamine, or the main villain. Yes, she gets her own paragraph. Her type of villainy is one that at the same time disgusts me and wants me to see her redeem herself. I mean, she is a mother who disowned both of her children, which is just horrible, but she’s still Lillie’s and Gladion’s mother, so I want to see them reconciling as well. She and the drama surrounding her is also why I like the story so much. The whole saving the world really isn’t in the foreground this time, it’s basically the family drama that’s important here. You first accompany Gladion to save Lillie where you learn that Lusamine is Lillie’s mother, and that Gladion is Lillie’s brother. Then you support the two children confronting her, and after Lusamine still succeeds in summoning the Ultra Beasts and travels to their dimension as well, you help Lillie in saving her mother. The whole saving Alola meanwhile is just one montage and it also isn’t you who does the saving.

Fourth is just a sidenote. Am I the only one when I say that I feel that the Ultra Beasts and their dimension probably were inspired by Lovecraftian Horror to some degree? Of course it’s only Lovecraft Light at most, since this is still a game for children.

So yeah, like others I am now considering playing the game again, although I’d probably do what someone else on Kaza did and buy another copy for playing through the story whenever I want, because I’m still too much of a collector to just delete my save.

Also shoot me a PM if any names don’t make sense because the localisation changed everything and I’m only human and might have missed looking one up.

Recently I played Bioshock and Bioshock 2 - and while I get why these games got the plaudits when they talk about “a great story” it didn’t provoke my interest in the same way as a game like Steins; Gate. I played Bioshock Infinite last year and thought this was more interesting. Then again I don’t really get on with FPS games.

Non VNs I have played in the past year or so (in my second delayed teenagehood!) roughly in favourite order

The Last of Us
Tales From the Borderlands
Life is Strange ( I had something in my eye at the end!)
Valkryia Chronicles ( I had something in my eye at times!)
The Witcher Wild Hunt
Uncharted 4
Civilization 6 ( just feels like it’s still lacking something )
Dark Dreams Don’t Die
Watchdogs

I have a few games to get around to at some point such as Watchdogs 2 and Infamous Second Son

Singleplayer games I’ve been playing recently:

VA-11 HALL-A: This is one of my favorite games of the year and I recently started a second playthrough. It’s almost a VN and the sense of humor is oriented towards gaming/anime fans so I think a lot of people here might like it.

XCOM 2: I’ve been wanting to play a strategy game and although I never beat the first one I decided to try this. It’s fun but difficult, I’m enjoying it so far though.

For multiplayer games, these haven’t changed in a while but I’m new here so:

World of Warships: I really like warships and this game is super fun. If anyone wants to division with me or start playing let me know!

Overwatch: I dip in and out of this game a lot depending on what else I’m playing but it’s always been a staple for me since it came out, same thing if anyone wants to party up some time I’m interested.

Battlerite: This game is still in early access but it’s super fun, it’s a 2v2 or 3v3 battle arena game, sort of like a LoL or DotA but without the minions or any of the other map stuff, entirely focused on hero combat. It’s difficult but it’s super fun and I’d love more people to play with, you can buy in now and get everything for ever or wait for the f2p launch sometime this year.

I also still occasionally dip into Hearthstone, Puzzle Pirates, Starcraft 1 and 2, Minecraft, and recently I’ve been trying out Final Fantasy XIV but I don’t have anyone to play with. If anyone here wants to play any of those I’m totally down.

In terms of my favorite games, I don’t want to go too in depth because of spoilers and because it would make this post massive and I think you should experience these games yourself, but here is a list I made a while back of my top 10 singleplayer games in no particular order:

Bastion
Persona 3
Life is Strange
Undertale
Va-11 Hall-A
Mount&Blade Warband
Pokemon Colosseum
Dragon Age: Origins
Stardew Valley
Starcraft 1

If anyone wants to know more about any of these games or why, let me know but I’ll just leave it like that for now. I guess this is just my thing now that I make really long posts.

Kairosoft huh. That’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time. I used to play a lot of their games and actually the English kairosoft forum was the first forum I was a part of, but after the forum shut down I lost interest in the games.

Nowadays I play a lot of overwatch with friends mostly.

Oh I bought Overwatch recently so if anyone wants to play with me LikeANeko#1159 is my battle.net

I also have my eye on world of warships for quite a long time now, since I play world of tanks, but I just keep on delaying playing it for various reasons. Your post (and a recent watching of a certain anime :yahaha:) finally made me download it. XD

If you want to play sometime you can add me, CaptainAmber, I can help show you the ropes if you want and I’m always happy to have more people to play with.

1 Like

There is forum for it’s? i’m never know about it…

Aside from that
So guys any recommendation mobile android game? since sometime you need to timekill but what around you just your phone

I play a good number of phone games. The main ones being
Fate Grand Order
Love Live School Idol Festival
Divine Gate
Kantai Collection

I’ve also played Battle Girl High School which was pretty fun
Then if you’re into card games Shadowverse (Hearthstone but 10x better for various reasons)

I bought it the day it was released, but just actually picked it up. I am completely obsessed with Princess Maker 2 right now. I had wanted to play it for years and am hyped it finally got a proper release. And I am even more hooked than I thought I would be. I love stat and resource management…and princesses so this game has always spoken to me. The game holds up really well despite its old age, so I recommend it if it sounds at all interesting.

Battle Girl High School seem fun. Gonna try that soon
I can’t play FGO and LLSIF because my device rooted maybe i will try “hide” my root access
Aside from that. I’m have not tested the rest