General Gaming Discussion

I recently finished Pokemon Star Sapphire. It was brutal, but I don’t think I’ve ever had as much fun with a Pokemon game. I’ve now moved onto Conception 2, which is like a mix of every generic Light Novel featuring prodigious students on a special school island with some sci fi rubbish going on, and Persona. It sucks. I’ve also been playing Digimon World Re:Digitize. I’ve played it before, but the recent Digimon Movie got me back into the mood to raise some Monsters.

My top 5 are:

1. Kingdom Hearts 2
  2. Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-
  3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  4. South Park: Stick of Truth
  5. Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

As you can tell, I just go for the games that have a story to tell. They also all have amazing music.

I love Kingdom Hearts.It’s flashy and colorful and fun, and people recognize it’s signature combat style. The important part to me however was the lore of the KH universe. I have slaved over pages of in-game information, and repeatedly watched cutscene after cutscene. I just love how much there is to unpack. I remember my first realization that I loved Kingdom Hearts as a piece of fiction was when BBS trailers started popping up and I realized a significant amount of the game’s plot could be figured out pre-release through information given in previous games that most players just ignored or never even saw. It worked as a great hype piece before that, and it had some nice tearjerker moments to pull in fans, but the games have evolved since then in such a way that I can’t help but respect it.
Birth By Sleep is probably the best KH game, but KH2 was the one that first brought to life a franchise I loved. Aside from my nostalgia, the larger size of worlds, bundles of hidden information to find, and the whole host of interesting new characters puts it ahead of BBS in my books.

Crisis Core is my Final Fantasy. A lot of people believe that the first Final Fantasy someone plays is the one they will like the most, but for me, the mainline games never grabbed me. I loved the world of FF9, and was really interested in the FF7 lore, but aside from the 4th main title, I never bothered to actually finish a Final Fantasy game. Frankly, the game portion of them sucked, and the stories usually weren’t interesting enough to keep me going… But Crisis Core got me. It took my love of the FF7 lore and made it into a more cinematic experience. It expanded on some background information we knew little about from FF7 and went in-depth with everything that took place. I’m a sucker for explanations of previously unimportant lore, and I’m a sucker for Square Enix cutscenes, so this was a no-brainer game to play.

Star Wars: Kotor is an interesting one. I like to say whenever Star Wars comes up that “there has never been a good SW film in my life time, but that makes sense… There’s never been a good SW film in anyone’s lifetime.” The thing about Star Wars is, much like my previous picks, it has a large amount of lore outside of the main product that is worth exploring. I may not like the Star Wars films, but I do like Star Wars. Kotor is, to me, the best Star Wars game around. It took a different approach to the Jedi Knight series of games and moved away from the stories of the films. It moved very far away. 4000 years away. It explores the past of the Star Wars universe in an interesting way. Combining elements of DnD with a pause-able real-time battle system and a choice system that unlocked different ways to play through the game (much like a gamebook,) it took what Bioware had been doing for years and, in my opinion, almost perfected it. Unfortunately it doesn’t have as much content as I’d like, but that’s easily fixed nowadays, because Kotor has a ridiculously large amount of mods, and those fix all the problems I had with the game.

South Park: Stick of Truth is a turn-based RPG. It’s the thing that I insulted Final Fantasy for being. The difference between the two is that, while FF fails at presenting an interesting world, SoT succeeds at presenting… A South Park episode. And I loooove South Park episodes. Final Fantasy is grindy and serious about it’s gameplay, but South Park just casually throws a few battles at you and has some fun. There’s honestly not much I can say about Stick of Truth. You play an extended South Park episode with your own original character and then end it satisfied. It’s just the right amount of everything. 'member South Park?

Drawn to Life was an interesting game. It wasn’t a great platformer (especially considering the competition it has as an NDS game) and it appeared to rely heavily on it’s gimmick of drawing the landscape… But there was something else going on. Rattling under the surface of this cute but basic game was something important. I could feel it. Drawn to Life has… Hidden background lore! While Drawn to Life had a nice little story going on, it was very by-the-books. The Next Chapter appears that way at first, but the strange little details that start to tickle your spidey sense will reveal their truths as you progress. Undertale reminded me a bit of Drawn to Life in it’s atmosphere, but I actually liked the Drawn to Life cast!

Of course, KH2.8 and Fractured But Whole are my big 2 that I’m waiting for. I’m pretty hyped for Digimon World: Next Order too, and the guy who made Pokemon Star Sapphire is looking to do the same for Sun and Moon, so I’m looking forward to that. I’ll be interested in seeing if the Scary Game Squad play Resident Evil 7 when that releases. Oh, and hopefully Civ 6 isn’t a buggy mess. KH3 and the FF7 remake are hopefully not gonna take 5 years.

2 Likes

well I’m playing Hyperdimension Neptunia U. After I cleared dreamcast game “Chaos Field”.

1. Armored Core Series
  2. Thunder Force V
  3. Ikaruga
  4. Raycrisis

5.Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Note: In truth, I love loli games but still not my favorite…

Armored Core 6 and Thunder Force 7

All of the games on the top row I have not beaten with the exception of Disgaea and God Eater 1. I beat their console version if that counts

1 Like

I’m using the English dub, never played with the Japanese dub but the “mrgrgr” is endearing
(Also sorry for the late reply heh, haven’t been on the forums in a little while ^^; )

1 Like

RIght now I’m playing Dota 2.
I’ve played a lot of computer games and mostly online. Ragnarok, Cabal, MU, Diablo,
When I was I kid, I played playstation my favorite there is Final fantasy.
__
Gustavo Woltmann

So this came up lately in discord, and I feel we could also talk about that here. What came up, you ask? Well, something that is a part of a large number of videogames: And that is difficulty settings. So I’d be interested:

Which difficulty option do you usually choose in a game and what is your reason behind that?

Me personally, I usually go with eather the standard difficulty of a game or even easy, as most of the time I’m more interested in the story of a game and less the gameplay. For games that have no story, I usually work myself up from the lowest setting to the highest or whatever highest my skill level allows.

Another aspect of difficulties is that in some games, some of them have to be unlocked first, do you like that more often than not, or do you hate that more often than not? Or do you just not care?

I guess I don’t really care most of the time, as for shorter games I’m already planning on playing all difficulties and for longer, more story-driven games I go with standard, as I said.

1 Like

Ohhh, I do like this question.

For me, it usually depends on the genre. If it’s a genre that I have alot of experience with, like the FPS genre, I just put it on the hardest difficulty. But if it’s a genre I don’t have alot of experience with, I just put on the normal difficulty.

I feel like I’m more of a guy who wants more of a challenge in a game than a good story. I don’t really care at all about the story in an FPS game. I just play it because I want to shoot stuff. And if the shooty stuff in the game is fun, then I’m satisfied.

I really hate the trend where alot of games tend to lock a certain difficulty and the only way to unlock it is to beat the game once. “The Last of Us” did it and it annoyed me quite a bit because, I found the difficulty under the locked one to be too easy for me and I wanted to amp up the difficulty. But hey, that’s just an easy way for an developer to add more playtime to the game if you want to 100% it.

But yeah, genres where I have alot of experience with = hardest difficulty. Genres that I don’t have alot of experience with = normal difficulty.

Yeah, I’m generally the same way. There’s one exception I’ll make with regards to difficulty: if anything is a simulation, I’ll turn off almost every assist I can.

In a driving sim, this means no traction control, no stability control, no launch control and no antilock brakes. It’s just me and the machine…even when the car in question had electronic driver aids and ABS, which makes them real handfuls to drive.

On the other hand, I know it’s my skills on display every time I go out there.

As a kid I was pretty bad at games so I used to play it games on easy most of the time.
But now, I play games on the hardest difficulty almost all of the time (Except Touhou…)
As I grew older I got better and better at games where playing on the hardest difficulty feels like it gives me the most of what a game can offer to me.
And I generally dislike it when you have to unlock higher difficulties I’d rather just go to the hardest from the get go. The only time I find this ok is if the game has some sort of replay value. Other than that I probably won’t have any interests in playing the game at a harder difficulty.

I tend to go with the second-hardest difficulty, mainly because this is usually the difficulty that is appropriately challenging without actually intruding on my enjoyment of a game by feeling needlessly frustrating or unfair. If I find the second hardest isn’t to my taste, then I’ll change it by choosing the hardest if it feels too easy or going lower if it feels frustrating.

A pretty good example of this is some of the fire emblem games, where I feel hard is generally appropriately difficult, but lunatic is just frustrating and feels like an RNG exercise way too often.

I don’t really like the idea of locking difficulties unless they’re something really goofy, like “you die in one hit” in certain action or shooter games. Of course, the main reason I don’t mind here is because I would never attempt playing these outlandish sort of difficulty modes :yahaha:

I guess Lunatic+ from FE Awakening and Lunatic Reverse from FE New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow count as really goofy:
The former gives the enemies a whole bunch of randomly assigned broken skills, while the latter lets the enemy always attack first (or in other words, every enemy has the Vantage+ skill if the game had skills).

How about games that scale difficulty to the player?

Ever seen how God Hand does it? Essentially, if you’re tearing through the enemy and taunt a lot, the difficulty slowly ramps up level by level, from Level 1 (easiest) to Level DIE (hardest, fourth level). If you get beaten up, the inverse happens and the difficulty slowly scales back down. You can also hit “GROVEL” in the God Roulette, which drops difficulty all the way back to 1. That’s for if you’re really feeling the heat.

Huh. I’ve never played a game like that. That could be really fun.

I usually end up with the extremes of a game. Either putting it on easy to enjoy the story, or putting it on the hardest difficulty for a challenge. (Though that challenge often leads to me corpse dragging my way through.)

in akiba trip plus, i found an angel beats! promote poster in the game!

1 Like

YES!!!

1. I’m currently playing Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney!!! I recently got into the series and love it so much!!! I wanted to catch up to the current game that came out two months ago, Spirit of Justice, so might be done with the rest and get to it by Christmas, so YAY, Ace Attorney 6 for Christmas!!! :smile :blush:

2. Well, I’m a HUGE Nintendo Fan, so my favorite games are mostly consisted of first party Nintendo Games!!! My Top Ten Favorite games are
    10: Super Metroid
    9: Animal Crossing: Wild World (and GCN but didn’t technically own it; it is my brother’s)
    8: Pokemon Emerald
    7: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    6: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
    5: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    4: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    3: Super Smash Bros. Melee (Series in general)
    2: Chrono Trigger
    1: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    HM: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!)

Favorite Game Series are: Legend of Zelda, Super Mario RPG’S (and Mario platformers in general of course because I grew up with them! :'D), Super Smash Bros., Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Ace Attorney, Shantae, Bomberman, Donkey Kong Country, Rhythm Heaven, Punch-out!! and many more!!! :smile: :blush:

3: I AM SO HYPED for Pokemon Sun and Moon, getting it DAY 1 with my older brother!!! I am also hyped for the new Ace Attorney that recently came out that I mentioned before, I’m getting it for Christmas, and Dragon Quest VII, which I am also getting for Christmas, SUPER HYPED for that!!! I’m also hyped for Final Fantasy XV, (I still need to beat VI and VII before getting that) Dragong Quest VIII, Harvest Moon: Skytree Village, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, and of course… THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD!!! AND THE NINTENDO SWITCH SYSTEM!!!

I would LOVE to know what everyone else’s favorite games are and what video games you guys are all HYPED for!!! I hope everyone is having an amazing day!!! :smile: :blush:

@ZakM I see you are a competitive Melee player, I LOVE the Melee scene and a big of fan of its top players!!! Message me if you ever want to talk about Smash!!! :smile: :blush:

Favorite games, huh…

My top 10 favorite games of all time as of this moment are, in no particular order (barring that Okami is my absolute favorite):
Okami
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 3
Dragon Quest VIII
The King of Fighters XIII
Call of Duty 4 (sue me)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
(Does Little Busters count as a game? I’m throwing it in here anyway because I couldn’t think of a tenth kek)

I’ve also recently integrated into the FGC properly, and I’m primarily playing Guilty Gear and KOFXIV with a little bit of SFV on the side right now. I recently attended a pretty big fighting game tournament, taking 4th place in Guilty Gear (of 16 players) and 2nd in KOFXIV (of only 8 players, unfortunately), so right now fighting games are a major passion of mine. I’m especially looking for dudes to play GG with, so if anyone finds themselves hitting that game up let me know!

Right now I’m mainly hella hyped for Persona 5 and the Dragon Quest 8 remake. P5 in particular I’ve already listened to some OSTs from, and I can already see that the OST is gonna be a killer. Really excited for that game and I really like P3 and P4, so there’s very little chance it’ll disappoint me. DQ8 as you can see is one of my all time favorites, so there’s no way I’m not gonna be hyped that I can just take it with me on the go.

1 Like

There are a lot of games i’ve played over the years, though none of them are ever quite what i long for in a game.

Command & Conquer (series)

• I grew up playing this game and made my first internet friends playing C&C.
    Metro 2033 (Redux)
  • The most immersive game i’ve ever played, keeps me enthralled despite being outside of my normal interests and comforts.
    Half Life 2
  • It’s just a really damn good game, and used to be my runner-up until i played metro.
    TERA Online
  • Probably has my favourite game world of anything i’ve ever played. Beautiful, grand, enchanting… I just wish the developers didn’t butcher it in favour of endgame money milking. I could sit in places in that game for hours on end.
    Blade & Soul
  • The best melee combat system of any game i’ve ever played. The combo-designed play (as opposed to just chains and cycles) is fantastic and so much fun, along with the freerunning & parkour… I wish Tera had this level of combat and mobility.
    Halo (series)
  • I love the grand presentation, themes and action. I’ve gained many a inspiration from Halo (and from the custom edition maps), and it will continue to be at my core.
    Earth 2150
  • I don’t get around to playing this much, but i’m always fascinated by the level of customization and attention to tactical detail, without causing the game to become tedious. Truly a special game in the RTS genre.
    Homeworld 2
  • Similarly because of attention to tactical detail, even simple things like projectiles that miss being able to hit targets behind, that stuff is a big deal. I enjoy it’s elegant simplicity without it’s damaging of creative tactics.
    Ark: Survival Evolved
  • I have a love-hate relationship with this game. It’s an awesome game and i love doing stuff with it, however i always find it devouring all my time… And don’t get me started on when i lose a dino, omg.
    AFF Planetstorm
  • Something i’ve desired for quite some time, due to Halo and some other things like BSG, is a game that’s an FPS, but you can also control larger ships, not just fighters. The realistic lack of “up and down” amongst other things provides for a really unique experience.
    Perfect Dark
  • Nostalgia, there was a time when i played this every day with school friends and so on.
    Dead or Alive (series)
  • I have an interest in studied martial arts (as opposed to games that use all magic/weapon fictional postures/motions) and so on. Using semi-legitimate martial arts applied in a game is always cool.

I don’t play much console because of the versatility of the PC, and it costs more to keep buying new game systems than to just upgrade a part every now and then. I do miss out on a lot of console-only games though.

I wish i could play more games like Tera, but in more anime-like environments, maybe with well presented story. I’m not a fan of games that halt for dialogue or have excessive choices, i much prefer stories that take you for a ride, a journey through their world and events, experiencing them for yourself. Too many games i see in akiba culture seem to be either really clutzy dated design, retro or poor graphics, lacking of perspective (what’s the point in looking at something huge and magnificent if i can’t look UP at it’s grandness?)… I never cared for top-down rpg’s as, like i said, there’s no perspective, no dimensionality. That’s why i always loved Halo, you’d have things which you’re fighting down close, but at the same time there might be a giant ship overhead, or something happening in the distance (and then there’s the music). I liked Tera for being able to get some of that, as you often fought huge monsters, or looked at ruins, structures, and monuments which stretched high into the sky (or were at least many orders of magnitude larger than you). I want to look up and beyond, not down in the dirt.

There are games like Star Citizen being worked on, but that’s very barebones atm, and seems a bit technical for my taste. They’re sorta biting off EVE Online’s pie of promoting piracy and conflict etc. That and i still don’t have a DX11+ gpu, so i can’t even try it.

I’ve been seeking a game that is anime-like, can immerse you into it and take you on a journey through a grand world, without having ancient graphics or rigid gameplay (i hate turn based stuff and things that require special conditions to act, i prefer being able to do what i want where i want - like if i want to shoot a gun or swing a sword, i can, and it’s my job to make sure the attack connects, as opposed to dumb scripted moves), however so far as i’ve seen, no such game currently exists.

Lately i’ve not been playing much games at all. Too many anime to watch, and science to do :frowning:
But that’s fine, most games, especially multiplayer ones, tend to waste more time than they give. What i mean is that if i watch an anime, i gain something from it, almost every time… but when i play a game, i come out with nothing more than when i started. That doesn’t apply to really story dense games though.

PS: You might think i care about visuals too much, but i’m someone who loves visual beauties and perspective, you cannot complement these well with smudgy textures, basic lighting (lighting is extremely important), and polygons you can count without a wireframe (and certainly not with pixel art games). Hell i’ve seen countless 2D art do a better job of handling depth, perspective, and lighting than most games. The primary human sense is the eye, followed by the ear, then the mind (meaning if you were to parallel that to art design, first most important is visual, second most important is acoustic, and third most important is concept/context).

PPS: I do kinda get tired of all the edgy overly violent stuff too, not that i’m saying i’m after an action-free story, it’s just that it’s overused and lacks impact.

Hello everyone!

Anyone from you can suggest a good RPG game today. I want a turn base Game like Final fantasy VII, VIII, VIII,X

I really love to play games like that with good graphics today. Btw, I’m Gustavo Woltmann from Panama! Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure if you meant you wanted a modern game with this genre, so I’ll give you two recommendations!

My Classic Pick: Chrono Trigger - an amazing classic RPG that would be remembered and loved by everyone who’s a fan of the genre! An emotional and very entertaining story with iconic characters, amazing gameplay and SNES graphics!! It’s soundtrack is also among the best in all of video games!! t’s also one of my favorite video games of all time as said in my previosu post on here (Rank #2)

Modern Pick: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - this one is still technically a classic, but the classics are the best so does it really matter? I never played it, but it’s among the best in the series and I plan on getting it for Christmas this year and am super hyped for it!! And I’m refering to the 3DS remake that came out this year, so on a technical level it is a new game, because supposedly there’s new features and the graphics are upscaled!! :slight_smile:

These two games both are classic styled RPG’s with good graphics for they’re system, so I bet you will like them a lot @GustavoWoltmann. They are also by the same Developers, Square Enix!! :smile:

So I’ve been playing Overwatch for a long time now and Quickplay started to get pretty boring for me. So I decided to try out the competitive gamemode on Overwatch and because of it, I got addicted to the game again.

Alot more people communicating in team voice chat, I learned cool strats that I never knew was a thing on Quickplay and it’s much more intense than playing on Quickplay. There’s also a goal that you are trying to reach. You want to reach as a high rank as possible before the season ends. This feels much better compared to Quickplay where you are just playing the game for fun.

If you play Overwatch and is too scared to play the Competitive gamemode, play it. I find it much more enjoyable than Quickplay.

Oh, and I reached the Diamond rank today!

2 Likes