General Gaming Discussion

Ar Nosurge and Tears to Tiara are both really great - they are story heavy RPGs. Folklore was also good - it is an older PS3 game with more action based gameplay. And the Littlebig Planet games are joy - worth checking out even if you are not interested in level creation. Especially Littlebig Planet 2.

``Did somebody miss the legendary old game named: Contra?

Game Awards!

Hereā€™s a full rundown, since not all of them are actually done on-stage for some fucking reason and its easy to miss them

BEST FAMILY GAME
Super Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD Group No. 4/Nintendo)

BEST FIGHTING GAME
Mortal Kombat X (NetherRealm Studios/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)

BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME
Splatoon (Nintendo EAD Group No. 2/Nintendo)

BEST MOBILE/HANDHELD GAME
Lara Croft Go (Square Enix Montreal/Square Enix)

ESPORTS TEAM OF THE YEAR
OpTic Gaming

ESPORTS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Kenny ā€œKennySā€ Schrub (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive/Team EnVyUs)

ESPORTS GAME OF THE YEAR
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Valve)

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
No Manā€™s Sky (Hello Games)

BEST NARRATIVE
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

TRENDING GAMER
Greg Miller

BEST INDIE GAME
Rocket League (Psyonix)

BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME
Rocket League (Psyonix)

GAMES FOR CHANGE
Life is Strange (Dontnod Entertainment/Square Enix)

BEST FAN CREATION
Portal Stories: Mel (Prism Studios)

DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR
CD Projekt Red (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

BEST ART DIRECTION
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios/Microsoft Studios)

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (Kojima Productions/Konami)

BEST SCORE/SOUNDTRACK
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (Ludvig Forssell, Justin Burnett, Daniel James/Kojima Productions)

BEST PERFORMANCE
Viva Seifert (Her Story)

GAME OF THE YEAR
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt Red/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)

Only awards I disagree with a decent amount are Fighting which should of been Guilty Gear and Art Direction which should of been Bloodborne, Rest (besides the esports ones who the fuck even) were all fine and I agree for the most part.

As for the general niceness/hilarity of the showā€¦ Iwata tribute and the AMAZING KONAMI BLOW-OUT were fantastic, as was Troy Bakerā€™s joke when he was presenting. The slip-ups and failures were also great.

also CHVRCHES is cool I guess

3 Likes

I personally donā€™t like W3 and FO4, but those 2 were the only games this year that really deserved to win GOTY, and W3 really outdid FO4, so Iā€™m happy that it won

Whoā€¦?

No Undertale or Until Dawn? Boooooo!
Her Story deserves both those awards though. Glad it got some recognition.

Splatoon for Best Multiplayer Game is pretty cool. Strangely enough, Splatoon also won Best Shooter Game, but wasnā€™t listed.
But yeah, Iā€™m happy about those results for Splatoon.

I really didnā€™t play too many other games this year to have an opinion on anything else.

1 Like

So I just started playing Smite and I think this might be the first MOBA I can actually get into. I played World of Warcraft for years, and the behind the back 3rd person camera and WASD movement feels so much more natural to me than any click-based interface ever could.

Does anyone else play? Iā€™d love to have some company. If you do sign up, be sure to put ā€œtherationalpiā€ down as a reference so I can get swag!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the main problem I have with Smite. Itā€™s controls arenā€™t very intuitive to me. I had to remap all the abilities to mouse buttons just so I can actually use them. The camera also makes it harder to kite, so much so that Gods have abilities just to allow them to kite. Medusa actually spends a passive on it!

It definitely feels very different as a MOBA.

1 Like

I have been curious about smite for a while and would be willing to try it out, I do have an account but I never played it. If you ever want a team mate, just ask me on discord.

1 Like

Iā€™m also curious! I guess Iā€™ll install it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never tried a MOBA; maybe I should. I had gotten a beta invite to the Total War Arena thing; still havenā€™t actually played it yet. Iā€™ll start it up and see if I like it, haha.

Iā€™m actually most excited for a new World War II Grand Strategy game: Hearts of Iron IV. LOVE WWII stuff, so Iā€™m hyped. Anyone here play Hearts of Iron III or Company of Heroes 2 (a WWII RTS thatā€™s also lovely)? Iā€™m thirsting for other people to play with.

My experiences with MOBAs have been meh at best. Iā€™ve never really cared for them. Though ironically right now Iā€™m massively into whatā€™s basically a PvE teamwork MOBA where you as a team go up against an enemy team with generally stronger creeps and boss monsters coming down all lanes periodically. Itā€™s really damn addictive. If anyone else happens to still be playing Warcraft III and is interested in trying this one, hit me up ^^

Itā€™s basically just tower defense with you as a special siege unit. I think MOBAs are largely a genre of games for people who donā€™t game often. You first get brought in by a desire to understand, and once that desire is fulfilled, itā€™s just something you can see or play for a break from something else. Itā€™s like football or something. You see it or hear about it, think ā€œoh, I might play that for a game or twoā€ and then you go do something else. Itā€™s very casual. The other type of play is the person who just plays one game very seriously for some years, then finds another game and plays only that for some years.

I think itā€™d be really hard to get into a MOBA without first being somewhat invested in other aspects of that MOBA. Watching it, or hearing people talk a lot about it, or just liking things that spawn from it. Again, you need that desire of understanding as a primary engagement.

1 Like

I remember watching some Youtube commentators on some championship MOBA game. DOTA 2 World Championship, I think?

I always loved going to tournaments, but Iā€™m only average at that kind of stuff. It was fun to watch, though.

Iā€™ll just be over here, playing the rather late but surprisingly good PC port of Dragonā€™s Dogma all day

Been playing Blade and Soul a lot recently. The character creator, despite lacking some simple face-features, is really really good. The models kinda suck, but itā€™s still a pretty game.

I think the two things that make it a bit unique are itā€™s focus on questing and itā€™s combat system. Iā€™ve never had to stop and grind at all yetā€¦ In fact, the only grind has been boss battles, but thatā€™s because Iā€™m rushing into higher level dungeons stupidly. Playing as an Assassin, itā€™s so satisfying to pull of a combo, though it takes a bit of set-up if you are solo-ing through dungeonsā€¦ Itā€™s a bit slow at times, but when you get set up, the enemies drop in a second.

2 Likes

I was literally about to post about that game! I read about it on reddit earlier, but wasnā€™t sure if anyone had played it yet. It just came out a month or two ago, right? Iā€™ve heard good stuff about it; might try it later. Iā€™ve been missing my MMO fix.

Been playing the Japanese version of it, pretty promising I might say. Too bad I couldnā€™t play it much but Iā€™ll play it again soon for sure.

1 Like

Playing alot of games right now, Blade and Soul, League of Legends, CSGO, and Battlefield 4

1 Like

Iā€™m just playing Battlefield 4 and some WWII PC games atm. And Fate/Grand Order. Might pick up Blade and Soul, though it depends on if any friends join it; Iā€™ve come to find MMOs boring if itā€™s just me lol. Hence why I dropped SWTOR Online.