General Anime Discussion

I’m watching Aldnoah before finishing up with the 2014 anime, and I have to agree with the people above, that the soundtrack is pretty great. I wouldn’t put it above Zankyou no Terror’s, but it’s really hard to compare because they are so different. It’s a standout soundtrack nevertheless, which doesn’t happen very often with me~

I kinda wish I’d watched it a bit sooner. Inko would have totally been on my top 30 anime character countdown I did through December.

My anime watching queue is all over the place. I occasionally watch shows I’ve watched before, but I’m also trying to finish Yuyushiki, Binchou-tan and Kimi ni Todoke at the moment.

My favorite anime is Lucky Star, no doubt about it. It’s such a well-executed geek fantasy of a show that I can’t help but watch it over and over again. Even the English dub is amazing, which is something I can’t say for many anime these days.

Until I finish the shows I’m currently watching, I doubt I’ll have time to tackle any new shows.

So recently after Clannad rewatch, I finally got to watch Madoka Magica and I thought it was pretty good. It was a nice dark take on what’s normally a pretty light hearted genre. The story was intense and compelling. the characters were likable (with Mami being my favorite), the animation was quite fascinating and I liked the OST, especially with the female choirs. However, this was the first time in a while where I had to switch from a dub to a sub just because the dub just didn’t do it for me. It’s quite sad too cause I normally like dubs but I guess that’s just the way it is.

The show I’m currently watching now is Kobato, which is made by CLAMP aka the people who gave us Chobits and Cardcaptor Sakura. So far, I’m really liking it. :smiley:

Every time I’ve tried to watch MM I’ve gotten bored of it. Never got past 4 episodes of the actual show. Earlier this year I sat down and watched SF Debris’ reviews of it though, so I pretty much know everything that happened.
I think my problem with it is that I dislike both magical girl shows and Shaft shows. To me it just felt like a standard magical girl anime with some lazy enemy designs…

I never watched Kobato. It released a little bit after I got out of my CLAMP phase. Still love Angelic Layer and Chobits though. Cardcaptor Sakura is okay, but my childhood memories of it are better than the actual thing x.x

Even if I didn’t really enjoy Madoka (which I did), I think the last three episodes were good enough that they would have made the whole thing worthwhile for me.

[quote=“Inuconandoyle, post:64, topic:27”]
the animation was quite fascinating
[/quote]I really like Shaft, just because I like to watch the animation. I swear they’ve never stayed focus on one shot for more than 5 seconds. And the neck-breaking head tilts are hilarious.

[quote=“Inuconandoyle, post:64, topic:27”]
I liked the OST, especially with the female choirs.
[/quote]Even though Yuki Kajiura’s works really seem to all sound the same, I still really like her music.

Dont forget to add Tsubasa Chronicles ;D. Hella long, but it was worth watching (also there are a lot of previous anime references made by CLAMP :p)

Tsubasa manga is 100 times better…

3 Likes

so I heard from my best friend that is possesed with Tsubasa, but im not really into reading it.
Btw wasnt there a new manga that just came out for tsubasa? I remember my friend told me about it and he went into hype mode instantly.

Did you watch the sequel movie?

Rebellion? I’m planning to watch it this weekend.

So, Sentai Filmworks finally settled on a release date for the English-dubbed release of Chuunibyou, and they showed off some sneak peeks of the characters’ English voices. I watched them, but only one of the voices sounded remotely familiar (Dekomori sounds like Maka from Soul Eater). I really hope they find good voices for Yuuta and Rikka, or I’m going to just give up and buy the sub-only release. And I really hope they pick someone other than Johnny Yong Bosch to voice Yuuta, as tempting as it is to do otherwise (since anything voiced by Jun Fukuyama seems to attract Bosch to the role).

So I have to ask: What did you guys think of Akame ga Kill? It just aired during Summer and Fall last year. I heard a ton of hate for it, especially from the fans of the manga. But I personally liked it a lot. It wasn’t AotS or anything, but I just don’t see why everyone thought it was so bad. Maybe their expectations were too high, and I didn’t have any expectation coming in?

Anyways, I really want to go read the manga now, especially since it was apparently an anime-original ending.

Well, I was glad to see the Manga animated. Though the animation was kinda bad. Then again, all characters looked great, except for Tatsumi who looked like crap xD
I’m actually glad it was an anime-original ending, so I didn’t get spoiled. It was pretty obvious they wouldn’t be able to adapt everything anyway. So I wasn’t expecting much.
I think it was somewhat ok, but it definitely didn’t do the manga justice.

Oh, but both ending themes were great ^^

Really? I personally watched the dubbed anime version only, and liked it a lot. The two movies being subbed made me experience both and I think I actually like the dub a bit more save for Kyouko’s voice probably.

To each his own. Madoka’s voice in the dub just didn’t do it for me. She just sounded like someone trying to be cute but failing. The rest of the voices in the dub were okay though from the 2 episodes I’ve seen.

Well here you go Taka. You now know one person who loves Code Geass, loves Guilty Crown, and is enjoying Aldnoah.

Enjoyment of CG is probably most heavily based on whether or not you like Lelouch’s calculating, power -hungry, antihero character. So if you like that kind of character, then I’d still suggest watching it, but if you don’t like that kind of character, I could completely understand not wanting to.

Code Geass? Loved the first season. I felt it realistic within context. Second season went full nuts but the end made up for me IMHO

I also love Lelouch’s personality, so scheming and yet so smart and strategic. Back in the day people compared Lelouch with Light Yagami from Death Note… good thing that’s no longer the case

Edit: On a side note, there’s something I wanted to ask here. It’s about that Idol Anime trend that has become insanely popular as of late. Things such as Idolm@ster, Love Live!, Aikatsu, Wake Up Girls and the like.

Do you know them? If so, what’s your opinion of them? And of the idol phenomenom in general, bot in 2D and 3D

I did watch Wake Up Girls. Wasn’t anything amazing, but nothing bad, either. I guess the main appeal is the drama of the harsh world of show biz, as well as music. It wasn’t anything special to me, and that’s the only idol show I watched, but it’s understandable, to a certain degree, that people would enjoy watching cute girls singing, dancing, and shedding tears.

Tsubasa (and XXXHolic) is masterpiece. Even my not-so-otaku cousin fell in love with the manga. Complicated, but very enjoyable.

Yes! There is a continuation of Tsubasa that comes out monthly.
(short summary) Focusing on Syaoran’s endless adventure with Kuro and Fye and Mokona.

• At the moment, I’m watching nothing new, lol. Just rewatching some animes in my storage if I have the time. Well, there is the most rewatched anime, which is the answer to the second question.
  • Gintama Shippuden… no, that’s wrong… Gintama Z-KAI!! Ah, I screwed up. Let’s just drop that meaningless subtitle. Really, why would they add them? To look cool? One Piece remains One Pi*ce even after the time skip and they still keep their watchers around!!

… ugh…
    Forgive me for those rants… You know, just some Gintama jokes! We all good, yes? I love those animes too so we are good, yes?

Favorite other than Gintama?

1. All KEY’s animes
  2. Steins;Gate,
  3. Kamisama No Memocho, and then
  4. CLANNAD, Little Busters… wait they are KEY’s animes.
  5. Mahouka Kouko no Rettosei
  6. Zankyou no Terror (highly recommended!)
  7. The World God Only Knows (recommended for VN players!)
  8. Baka & Test & Summoned Beast
  9. Hajime no Ippou
  10. Doraemon
  11. Digimon (1 and 2)
  12. and many more

I’m looking forward to Gintama’s new season and KEY’s Charlotte of course! Second season Mahouka would be nice too… Though maybe it will be impossible

1 Like

Gonna check out Im@s after this season is done.

The Opening and Ending are amazing in that show. I didn’t like how they ended it, but it was an interesting anime.

My recommended anime of 2014. It has a really bad slump between episodes 5 and 9, but if you manage to not drop it, it gets better.
To quote my blog:

ZnT (not to be confused with the many other ZnTs) was an intelligent, compelling, exciting show… for a good few episodes. Starting from episode five (Five huh?) the show became so boring that I was seriously considering dropping it. Episode nine (Nine huh?) grabbed my attention again, but still…
So what made those episodes different from the ones before them? The attention shifted to the character Five. An antagonist of sorts with no satisfyingly explained motive. Episode Nine onwards shifts it slightly away from Five and back to… Nine. (Think they planned this? The names and the episodes are way too fitting.)
So yeah, Five’s introduction and whole characterization essentially ruined the whole show… Puurrretty bad

In my top 5~ The manga is a must too.

1 is in my top 10. 2 was a mess. 3 also gets into my top 10~

1 Like