General Anime Discussion

You’re killing me here. How dare you mistake our savior Hiroyuki Sawano-sama’s work with bland Yuki Kajiura. She used to be good, but she’s so BORING now. Also they sound nothing alike.

1 Like

The only reason I can think of that he would think that is the OP was by Kalafina. But then the ED was by Sawano too, so that makes even that excuse invalid. Oh well, with all the crazy things I’ve said before, theres no way I could hold it against him.

#BanNick

This phenomenon of people treating Oregairu like a generic romcom has been weirding me out for a while now. Will you assist me in trying to find out the reason for it? It’ll be mostly me asking you questions ^^

I’m dealing with a heart attack right now, just from seeing you compare Oregairu with NouCome. Pls don’t kill me like that.

My bad. I only checkted the staff once, so I guess I messed up there somewhere. And because OP was by Kalafina.
And don’t call Kajiuira Yuki-sama bland. She’ll always be the best.

Sure~

NouCome’s gimmick was so fun and interesting. The ending was annoying, and some of the characters sucked, but the show was interesting.

Seen as I now own a copy of the Little Busters! DVDs, I started to watch the dub. This post is just me giving my judgments of the dub as of ep 3 (because as of this moment, that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I’m going to skip Mio and Kud because neither have been introduced as of this point in the show.

Riki (voiced by Shannon Emerick): I understand that Riki was voiced by a woman in the sub as well, but it seems too obvious that he’s voiced by a woman. Other than that, this might be a decent performance.
Rin (voiced by Brittney Karbowski): Seeing this casting choice, it seemed promising assuming she uses a similar range to what she used for Wendy from Fairy Tail, but it’s sounding a lot more like her performance as Kei from Ef. A bit disappointing if you ask me.
Kyousuke (voiced by Blake Shepard): Nothing much to say here. I’m liking how he sounds now, and hope that he sounds just as good later on.
Masato (voiced by Greg Ayres): First off, he was miscast for this role. While yes, Greg Ayres tends to be typecast as the comic relief, but this seemed like a miscast on paper and it doesn’t work out here.
Kengo (voiced by Leraldo Anzaldua): I never had any standards for him since the only other roles I’ve heard from him being Noda from Angel Beats! and Takashi from High School of the Dead, but it sounds good except for the fact that he sounds a lot like Kyousuke.
Komari (voiced by Tia Ballard): In theory, I thought that this would have been a great casting choice, thinking she was going to use a range similar to Happy from Fairy Tail. While it is very similar to Happy, it’s toned down a fair bit to something closer to Yoshino from Date a Live, and worked better than expected.
Yuiko (voiced by Carli Mosier): Though I hold a bit of a grudge against her because ADV cast her as Lucy when they finally got around to dubbing the Elfen Lied OVA (I found out about this unfortunate recast because I was looking at her previous roles and I’m still pissed about it), I had some faith, especially since she also voiced Akira from Baka and Test. Seeing many parallels with their personalities, I thought it’d work great. While she uses a very similar range to Akira, it sounds a lot more formal. I’m liking it and am looking forward for more.
Haruka (voiced by Margaret McDonald): This is her first role that I have heard, so I didn’t know what to expect from her. So far, she has only had a handful of lines, but from what I’ve heard so far, it doesn’t feel right; she sounds too stern and not as upbeat as I remembered (for the most part anyway). We’ll see if it gets better when her arc rolls around.

Overall, it’s a pretty decent dub for Sentai standards, but could be better. Use of honorifics is something worth noting, but isn’t too distracting. I’m a bit concerned about Tiffany Grant’s performance as Kud (unsure if she can pull off the Russian; she can do German just fine, just look at Asuka from Evangelion, but I’m still worried) and I have no idea what to expect from Caitlynn French’s Mio, but I’ll see how they are when it comes.

1 Like

You mean the thing that’s title is mostly ‘my generic highschool romcom’ isn’t a generic romcom?

Literally only capable of one song.
Her music has absolutely no soul, nothing memorable about it whatsoever.
She’s just bad.

This guy exists entirely to be miscast into Key shows in my experience.
I mean, he’s good, but never fitting.

Oooh oooh, I hear she has a Russian accent in the dub does she have a Russian accent in the dub?
…KUD CAN’T SPEAK RUSSIAN WHY IN BLUE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK WOULD SHE HAVE A RUSSIAN ACCENT SENTAI YOU GOD DAMN IMBECILES.

In all honesty, comic relief characters are what he does best (the one exception I can think of being Hiro from Ef which happens to be my favorite performance from him), it would have been best to give this role to someone else.

Maybe with Masato but I liked him as Sunohara and Kitagawa.

It’s about as much of a generic romcom as Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is a generic Magical Girl series. Just cause you can read the title doesn’t mean you’ve understood the show.

And you really need to put a lot of thought into Oregairu to fully understand it.

I don’t know any of these voice actors, or what they sound like, but whatever~

I thought it was fairly obvious in the VN at least. He didn’t have many lines though, so it was fine. Can’t remember thinking much of it in the anime, but I’m assuming it’s similar.

You’ve got to have Tamiyasu’s strange voice type to fit into the role. The type of voice that can only be described as cat-ish.

There’s no Russian to pull off. Kud should be a young energetic voice, who struggles with foreign pronunciation. Her broken English wouldn’t make sense, so it should be replaced with another language that is studied in the school instead. Japanese for example would be “Sa yo nara~!” and “Kon ichi wa~!” when saying hello or goodbye. Stuff like that. No idea how they’ve done it, but if it’s not that I’m not sold.

I’d like to point out that I also think MSMM is a generic Magical Girl series, despite the gimmicks it tries to add in… but I’ve hated on it enough in Kazamatsuri~

So, I’d like to mention another series I’ve watched in 2014 that nobody seems to be talking about. It would probably be a “Guilty pleasure” thing, but I just don’t feel guilty about it in the least. It’s a show that’s neither exceptionally good nor actually bad:
Selector Infected WIXOSS / Selector Spread WIXOSS.
After giving Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko (Henneko for short) a chance and finishing it, I’ve sworn to never distrust J.C. Staff again - and they have yet to disappoint me.
So, WIXOSS is basically about young girls fighting to have their wishes granted. As you can guess, this involves a lot of drama. While the fighting happens via a card game, the games themselves aren’t the focus, so not knowing the rules is not a problem. So it’s not like a Yu-Gi-Oh with an all-girls cast or anything, don’t worry ^^
WIXOSS is the kind of show that starts off underwhelming but gets better as it progresses, the most memorable moment for me being the last episode of season 1. WIXOSS definitely isn’t without flaws, but I found none of them remotely show-ruining or anything. Some characters are quite interesting and the plot holds several neat twists.

I haven’t watched it yet (it’s been a big want-to-watch for me for quite a while, as I mentioned some seasons ago) but I’ve heard that the rules of WIXOSS are kind of similar to Vanguard, with a few removed elements and some new mechanics such as energy and cost.

The similarities between the two are as such:
Put down a faced-down lvl 0 card as your avatar-esque card. Both players flip them over to start the game. Once per turn, you can replace your avatar as long as it is a single level higher than the one already in play. Higher leveled cards are stronger, so doing this is crucial. (In WIXOSS, you may only use cards that are equal to or lower than the level of the avatar, but this mechanic doesn’t exist in CF:V.)
The cards you put down have to attack any opposing cards on the field, and can only attack once per turn. When there are no opposing cards you can attack directly to take a point of life away. If the opponent has a guard card in their hand then they can block the attack.

CF:V has a more extensive guarding system, and WIXOSS has an energy/cost system that judges what cards you can and can’t use. They both have different ways of managing life, that are similar at face-value but have different interactions with the game, such as CF:V’s limit break which provides bonuses depending on how much damage has been taken, and WIXOSS’s crash which (similarly to CF;V’s “drive” cards) activates when specific cards are used as damage.

I’m not sure how much WIXOSS focuses on the actual card game, but you can probably make sense of everything after a match or two.

So I just finished Toradora yesterday, and I kinda wanted to hear what you guys think of it.

Personally I thought it was pretty amazing. The relationships and dynamics between all the characters were so detailed, yet subtle, and the writing was great. I found Ryuuji to be extremely relatable, and man I can’t stop talking about the characters. Sure, at times it was a little melodramatic at points, but still extremely enjoyable.

Lots of people call it predictable because its pretty obvious from the beginning that Ryuuji is gonna end up with Taiga, but thats literally all you know, everything else you have to watch to figure out, and it was great.

One of my favorite aspects was that of family. It was really subtle for most of the show, but at the end the stuff with Yasuko and Taiga’s parents was probably the most tear-jerking part.

The OST was great, though Lost My Pieces was probably a bit overused. And the animation, while by JC Staff so obviously not amazing, I think fit the show pretty well. There were even two pretty great fight scenes.

One of my only problems was the ending. The reason that Taiga left wasn’t really explained very well at all. And the last scene, while it was understandable why they wanted to leave it at that, kinda felt like it was missing something.

So, while mind you I haven’t seen that much anime, overall I think this is definitely one of my favorites. I will certainly be reading the LN and VN.

1 Like

First 10 episodes awfully boring, second half engaging and emotional, but irritating (in that drama kind of way.)

I didn’t like most of the characters, but the story made up for it. When I can easily say that a couple blue-haired, manipulative, selfish, insane women are the 2 best girls, you know something is wrong.

To the people who disagree: URUSAI

The soundtrack and the voice acting was great though. I enjoyed the show quite a bit. For it’s time, it was really really good. Just don’t like the pacing and the characters. (Oh, and the “comedy” of course.)

The VN was infuriating too.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST TAKA YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON.

I have, it’s one of my 5(ish) 10/10’s.
All downhill from here bro.

No no no, you just don’t have the correct opinions.

It was good, and as I said, it was great around the time it was released, but there’s been a whole bunch of stories that have either improved upon, or outshone Toradora. It’s the classic problem of time ruining the quality of a creation. There was a time it would have been in my top 20. Now it barely edges into the top 100.

Even if we were back in time discussing the show when it first finished, I still wouldn’t give it anything higher than an 8/10. 10+ episodes of rubbish is a massive problem no matter how good the rest of the show is. Every show that has such a problem gets treated exactly the same way… The most recent example is Zankyou no Terror. Good for the most part, but a large portion of junk randomly crops up and ruins the whole thing.
I won’t treat Toradora differently to any other show just because feels. Overall enjoyment is more important to me.

1 Like

Did somebody say Toradora? Hell yeah, I love that show!
Toradora proved to me that an anime doesn’t need supernatural elements in order to be interesting and engaging. It’s one of my favorite romcoms to this day. And while we’re at it, I think that Taiga is Kugumiya Rie’s best-suited role yet.
The comedy was top-notch and so was the drama. A must-see anime.

…Which is why I was so disappointed by Golden Time. I was really hyped for it and expected great things from the next work of Toradora’s creator. But lolnope.

Toradora! I loved that, but I was more of a Kushieda guy

On the other hand, there’s that idol anime people keep spamming everyday, all day in my Twitter TL…

Peer pressure was as high as the pressure received by abyssal fishes per square inch, and finally gave in and currently watching Love Live!

Not bad, but as for now, I feel it doesn’t deserve the hype it gets

Oh toradora man! Such feels everytime i remember the name of that anime.
I loved the characters too, and Ryuji is just a well made character imo. And I have this thing for tsunderes such as taigas so I found that really cute and amusing.

Still toradora was one of the best animes I have seen and will love it. I also loved the tear-jerking parts, just everything is awesome about it :3. (especially that talking bird was hilarious, got me everytime)