General Anime Discussion

I’m beginning to look into Satoshi Kon works. I saw (and LOVED) Perfect Blue and I’m going through Paranoia Agents right now. What other works from him do you recommend?

Millennium Actress is a highlight imo, and Paprika is good if you just like Satoshi Kon’s style. Also Tony Zhou (Every Frame a Painting) did a nice video about Satoshi Kon some years ago.

Every Frame a Painting is the reason I began to search his work :open_mouth:

No love for Tokyo Godfathers? ;_; I at least liked it more than Perfect Blue though those are the only Kon works I’ve seen

2 Likes

@Tal3113 @Pepe Thanks guys! I’ll be sure to check them out

The only thing I’m watching right now is Maid Dragon, and I’m loving every second of it. It’s the cutest and funniest thing I’ve seen in years

Kyoto animation almost always delivers! I’m watching this plus Interview with Monster Girls

Rightstufanime has a huge sale on Sentai anime this weekend http://www.rightstufanime.com/sales-and-promos/Weekend-Sale. This sale includes Little Busters (not Refrain or EX), Clannad, Clannad Aftery Story, and Angel Beats. They are all between $15-25 USD

1 Like

I just saw Kimi no Na wa in theatres. I highly recommend it if you get the chance to watch it. It has a great story and beautiful animation. It’s the best anime movie I’ve seen.

5 Likes

I remember watching it on theater and almost crying. It’s rare to find a film where I get to experience all sorts of emotions in one run.

1 Like

Has anyone here seen Myself; Yourself?

I’ve seen a lot of criticism for it, but I for one actually enjoyed it.

The first few episodes were admittedly not that promising, as it made it out to be a very stereotypical romance story, but thankfully, things started getting A LOT better during episode 4 or 5, and it stays just as good throughout the whole show, in my opinion.

My favorite anime genre is drama, and this anime has plenty of that good drama that I love so much. In my opinion, the anime handled most of the drama very well, and none of it felt rushed (well except for the end) or overstayed its welcome.

Almost all of the characters get some kind of development, especially Nanaka (the main love interest). Unlike a lot of anime that force and rush development, Nanaka’s change as a character is gradual and very realistic. So realistic in fact, that I could find a bit of myself in her.

It does have its problems though, of course. The story doesn’t know what it wants to focus on at times, the soundtrack is forgettable, and the animation is meh.

Despite its flaws, the positives it has makes me like it for what it is and what it tries to do. To me, it’s a pretty decent and short drama and romance anime, and I would recommend giving it a try, as long as you don’t give up on it during the first few episodes.

1 Like

Hoo, that’s an old one. I remember it most for having designs that’d fit into School Days (love that style) and for having a character with the worst voice I’ve ever heard in anime. Oh, and for the mail box scene, that’s memorable. It was pretty easy to overlook considering it came out during the pinnacle of VN romcom drama shows. You had similar yet more popular stuff like H2O, Clannad, Ef and a whole bunch of other VN adaptations around the same time.

I rewatched it several years ago during a sad tirade on the death of VN adaptations, so I have pretty clear memories of it all. The strong point to me was the main arc. It had some fun ideas, some nice reveals, and brought some good memorable scenes such as the short cave one towards the end, and the hospital bit. I also really enjoyed Hinako’s random appearance mid-way through the show. It brought a bit more life and responsibility to the main character.
Unfortunately I disliked the cousin, the siblings, the new girl, the repeated flashback to when they were kids, the ending, and the OP’s deceptive appearance.

I did get something out of it though. If you go and watch the scenes where the protag lays in bed, he generally rests his arm on his forehead. I started doing that because of this show, and it is a strangely satisfying position to rest in, so yay.

1 Like

Haha, I’ve also watched H2O, although I think Myself; Yourself did a lot of things better.

The ending song of Myself; Yourself is so catchy <3

It’s not the best one I’ve seen in the genre in terms of quality, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. I loved that show way more than other way more acclaimed dramas like AnoHana for instance.

For me the main issue is that the foreshadowing was excessive at some points and this took away a lot of the surprise and shock from the main plot-revelation moments near the end. However, since the themes that the anime covers are an interesting bunch, the story itself feels fairly complete.

Like @Takafumi, the most enjoyable part is the main arc, although I also found the story going on with the siblings quite interesting.

Overall, while the production quality isn’t top notch and there are some flaws within the story, if you normally watch drama anime this is a safe choice that you won’t dislike and will actually appreciate quite a lot.

This is it exactly: Myself; Yourself is fairly good, but there’s better stuff.

Also:

Isn’t this common for way too many VN adaptations?

What are you watching at the moment?

Clannad, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, ARIA The Avvenire, and Rick and Morty.

What are some of your favourite Anime?

Aria, JoJo, Clannad, Sailor Moon, and Toradora.

What Anime are you looking forward to?

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney), CLANNAD: After Story, Vento Aureo, and Neptunia the Animation.

Hi everybody, I am Alim from Mars, lets all be friends. https://kazamatsuri.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/optimized/2X/6/6c14563d2dc7891cc31787a5d52074fd7bf38445_1_666x500.png

Ah, Toradora. Really good anime. <3

What are you watching at the moment?

Dragon Ball Super is the only anime I’m up-to-date on at the moment. I have watched a few films recently though (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions)

What are some of your favourite Anime?

Steins;Gate, Toradora, Amagami SS, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, Beyond the Boundary, Sailor Moon and Love Hina to name a few.

What Anime are you looking forward to?

Eagerly awaiting the next season of Sailor Moon Crystal and Clione no Akari.

Wait, you like that anime? In that case, let me seriously recommend you to read the VN, because truth be told, and most Umineko fans would agree, that anime is sadly a bad adaptation.

It might seem odd to say, but I really do enjoy the Umineko anime. I know it has flaws and not everyone likes it, but I looked forward to watching it every week (plus, I loved Beatrice’s voice <3).

On the visual novel side, I had completed Turn of the Golden Witch by the time the series started airing and read through Banquet and Alliance while watching the series.

I love the Umineko opening <3 Definitely one of my favorites. That epic chorus though!