General Anime Discussion

Steins;Gate earns its praise for the most part.

1 Like

Itā€™s called Steins;Gate and itā€™s a pretty good series. I recommend checking it out. :smiley:

1 Like

@ThePlasticSpork, about Watari, I do think the series handled him pretty poorly. He is explored in a very very superficial level, even the so-called ~side characters~ felt much more real, close and relatable than him.

But I do think that Tsubaki actually developed a little. She gained courage. Her impossible wish, and her persistent sorrow moved her to take action, something she probably wouldnā€™t have done before. The characters all changed in the pursuit of their goals. Now whether such changes were worth or not, thatā€™s another story.

1 Like

Kai must not know that Orange is getting an anime, that can possibly be the anime of summer 2016.

Iā€™m also personally expecting planetarian to be better (mainly because Iā€™ve liked everything Naokatsu Tsuda has directed so far that Iā€™ve seen) as well as potentially Mob Psycho and Love Live depending how they and Rewrite do.

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit late but still gonna do this :stuck_out_tongue:
btw, gonna put anything to do with KEY out just for the heck of it

Favorite anime: Ahhhā€¦ quite a lot to choose from actuallyā€¦ uuhmmm I guess Kowarekake no Orgel
Least Favorite anime: That easy, Swor- No, Cross Ange - Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo, mainly because I F**CKING hate almost every single character that exists in the series (except for the maid and the main guy I guess)
Favorite moment: AnoHana endingā€¦ No more said
Best Guy: uhhhmmmmā€¦ Pico?
Best Girl: Kujo Karen(Kiniro Mozaic)
Guilty Pleasure: KissXSis
Biggest Disappointment: Grisaia no Kajitsu
Unexpected Favorite: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Favorite Opening: Endless Story (C3) Good opening but really shit anime. Plus canā€™t really remember ALL the openings Iā€™ve ever heard from the top of my head. So this is the best I can come up with atm
Favorite Ending: Secret Sky (Rokka no Yuusha) Just love the feeling it gives. Canā€™t really express it well, but still ma favorite.
Favorite Soundtrack: Kioku (Yosuga no Sora)
Looking forward to: Very unexpectedly, Amaama to Inazumaā€¦ No idea why this got my interest for this summer

Iā€™m just praying someone will go out of their way to make a Tensei Slime anime adaptation already

So Iā€™m out with the family for a week and have some free time; which means Iā€™m clearing out my backlog one marathonā€™d show at a time.

This will likely be updated as the week progresses, but I just finished this one and want to do it justice.

K (13 eps) / K - Missing Kings (Movie) / K - Return of Kings (13 eps)

So Iā€™d watched K ages ago and fell in love with it. Almost to the point that itā€™s consistently been in my top 5 for 1 cour animes since the day I finished watching it. The story is well paced, intriguing, and the important details are well enough explained that you have a really good understanding of (or can infer easily) the main plotlines. The movie is a fantastic bridge between the end of the original anime series and readily heralds the coming of the major actors for the second season. The second season is again well paced, explains more of the overarching story extremely well, and resolves the primary conflict in a meaningful manner.

While Iā€™m going to avoid going too in-depth (as Iā€™m currently writing this on a phone), I give it a 4.5/5, with the .5 falling to the production teamsā€™ habit of falling back on reusing stock animations and focusing too heavily on flashbacks when itā€™s not readily necessary. That said, the show has enjoyable characters whom develop a fulfilling sense of depth as the show progresses, and a storyline that continually leaves the viewer wondering just what in the hell can happen next.

If youā€™re looking for a way to waste a weekend, or just looking for something to marathon late one night, K will likely fit the bill nicely.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Charlotte - Episode 13 ā€œMemories to Comeā€

really? Iā€™ve never heard of the 5 episode rule. For some anime like Konosuba or Big Order thatā€™s already halfway and any 1 cour show thatā€™s pretty much halfway. Even Googling ā€œ5 episode ruleā€ everything that shows up is for 3 https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=5+episode+rule

Not much of a ruleā€¦ As I said, many anime usually get interesting around episode 5 or 6ā€¦ It seriously depends from person to person.

I prefer not to follow any rule. I have dropped anime halfway through the first episode and even on the 11th episode (a 1 cour show). Some anime are really bad I canā€™t stand to watch any more, and some seem promising to the extent Iā€™ll keep watching until I can be certain it wonā€™t get any better.

2 Likes

Not sure where to post this but The Canpia Effect interviewed Kenji Horikawa of P.A. Works and one of the questions was about working with other Key writers: https://youtu.be/1bXy-x0hRHg?t=8m54s
Basically he doesnā€™t know any others because he was approached by Yosuke Toba of Aniplex who said ā€œJun Maeda wants to make an animeā€ and after meeting with Maeda, Horikawa decided to work with him.

4 Likes

I started a blog devoted to anime and gaming, my first post is on the plural of ā€œanime.ā€
https://alicethroughthedigitalglass.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/the-plural-of-anime/

4 Likes

At the same time that I agree with your blog post, my knee-jerk reaction is to throw a fit and claim that adding an ā€˜sā€™ to the end is just horribly, horribly wrong.

But I have the same reaction when I hear ā€˜mangaā€™ as if it was ā€˜Maine-gaā€™ and ā€˜PokĆ©monā€™ as ā€˜Pokey-monā€™.

Man, who on earth says ā€œa group of ninjasā€ in reference to multiple ninja? Or says ā€œIā€™m going to eat Bratwurstā€ intending to eat a single sausage? Someone needs to give 'em a slap!

I think the ā€œbecause it sounds betterā€ argument is perfectly justified. Itā€™s an argument we use in English a lot.

When it comes to words, the understandable and commonly used option is generally the correct one. While it sucks in some instances, thatā€™s just how the English language works. Youā€™ve just got to get enough people to agree on a spelling and definition, because the subjective variable of spoken sound doesnā€™t matter as much anymore. I consider adding an s to the end of a loanword an incorrect pluralization, but hey, some people donā€™t understand the article ā€œan.ā€

1 Like

Hi Gustavo Woltmann from Panama here I am watching One Piece. I love Naruto, One Piece and Hajime No Ippo. I am looking forward to finish for One punch man!

1 Like

Over the vacation that started a month ago, I managed to binge watch a couple of anime (and binge-read another couple of manga, but thatā€™s for another topic) from Fall 2016 which I was unable to follow during the season itself due to irl stuff. This is a lil bit late, but Iā€™ve been wanting to talk about the Fall 2016 anime Iā€™ve watched, so here are my thoughts.

Yurii!!! on Ice. I watched this show hearing of its positive and beautiful portrayal of gay romance, and ended up loving the show for Phichit. Ahaha. I did like the dynamic between the couple (IT CANā€™T BE ANYTHING BUT ROMANTIC LOVE PLEASE :)))), though Iā€™m not big on shipping them. I canā€™t pinpoint what part of the show made me like this show a lot, but this is just so fun and enjoyable and so feel-good to watch. The visuals are nice, and the skating animation is impressive if not being wonky. Itā€™s nonetheless a treat to watch, and it well deserves its popularity. And I also have to mention Phichit. Heā€™s precious.

Bungou Stray Dogs S2. I enjoyed the heck out of S1 (I think itā€™s fun!), but S2 was something else. The arc with Odasaku was pretty boring at first, but I did not expect it to escalate into one of the most emotionally gripping story that I have ever seen in anime. The arc with the Guild is nice watch, too. I like the portrayal of its few female cast, especially Akiko Yosano and Kyouka Izumi. Dr. Yosanoā€™s personality is seductive without resorting to lurid fanservice, which is refreshing to see (and also unsurprising considering sheā€™s based on a feminist author). I just like how Kyoukaā€™s character writing and development is carefully woven from her past of being an assassin at a young age. Enjoyable watch.

Iā€™ve been watching the Steins;Gate anime, it doesnā€™t have the depth of the VN of course but itā€™s an excellent adaptation that captures the spirit of it very well. It gets the relationship between Okabe and Kurisu completely right. Love the rocking theme ā€œHacking to the Gateā€ and Kanako Ito is an amazing vocalist!

I could easily have binge watched it in one session if I had the time.

El Psy Congroo!

1 Like

I have been selling this show to my friends as an openly gay Prince of Tennis. I freaking loved it. The show had a good romantic backdrop, but it was honestly almost shonen sports series otherwise. The focus was on the matches and developing the rival skaters, so it gives you plenty to enjoy and emotional ins with characters even if you are more indifferent to the main pairing.
/gush

1 Like

Most of the anime I enjoyed just so happen to be VN adaptations lol

But I really like drama and romance. The Key animes are my favorites, along with ef. My favorite non-VN adaptations are Your Lie in April, Golden Time, Nagi no Asukara, Elfen Lied, Guilty Crown, and Mirai Nikki.

I know Iā€™m in the minority here, but I really like anime with mentally weak male leads. Itā€™s something that I can relate to.