General Anime Discussion

There’s something special about terrible anime and theme songs.

Umineko has a glorious OP, so much so that I ran it as a PSP theme back in the day despite not liking Umineko at all. Chaos;Child had Super Special as an ED, and I love that song, incredibly addictive to listen to. Tsukihime’s OP is the hottest OP I’ve ever seen.

I really get this! There’s just something about anime themes that are so good, no matter how… not good they are sometimes. Super Special is my jam, it’s so good… Then you get some real cool gems of songs like the first GG anime ending Dopo Il Sogno (gotta love that nice sound).
Also the Umineko anime ending, Jimang’s got it made! I actually like that song a lot :wink:

Somehow, Cross Ange, which was so bad that it was good, got me determined to watch nothing but mecha anime for the entirety of summer (maybe more?)

Finished Cross Ange recently, onto 2/3 of Macross, half of Akito the Exiled… Maybe Iron Blooded Orphan, MBG Seed, or maybe Mobile Fighter G next? Then there’s also Gundam Unicorn… Yeah that needs to be next…

I finished the entirety of the Black Lagoon anime and spinoffs recently and was surprised by how ridiculously fun it was. I thought it would just be a kinda mediocre action series, but I ended up being charmed by all the super cool, weird characters. I especially found Roberta and Rock great. It makes me a little sad how I wrote it off for so long.

@MAEBATAME

I had a similar experience when I watched Madoka Magica back in 2013, despite never being much of a fan of magical girl anime up to that point. Except I found Madoka Magica to be overwhelmingly good instead. :ahaha:

1 Like

I recently finished watching Assassination Classroom. At first I was kinda put off on the basic premise. But Koro Sensei quickly won me over with how goofy and genuinely nice he is. The show was very effective at getting me to root for each member of class E.

I loved those lines that started “The tentacles asked me, ‘What would you like to be?’ I answered…” Koro Sensei’s answer explains so much about who he became after meeting Aguri. And then the valentine’s day gift Kayano gave him was so wonderfully sweet.

I think @MAEBATAME would be interested to know I recently finished my third anime this year (Sakurasou) after finishing exactly zero animes in 2016.

-What are you watching at the moment?
I’m watching a ton of seasonal anime like Re:Creators, Hero Academia Season 2 and Made in the Abyss. On the side I’m watching Aria the Natural and starting Tokyo Ghoul

-What are some of your favourite Anime?
My top 4 are, in order, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, Hunter X Hunter(2011) and Koe no Katachi.

-What Anime are you looking forward to?
I’m looking forward to 3-Gatsu no Lion season 2, as the first season was one of the best seasonal anime I’ve watched and motivated me to watch some more.
Naturally, I’m looking forward to Steins;Gate Zero, although with each passing day I wonder if I should play the VN first or wait for the anime.
I’m leaving out a ton of anime, but I’ll say the last anime that I’m looking forward to is Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 2, since Saiki season 1 was one of the few comedy anime that genuinely got a laugh out of me consistently.

You didn’t miss much, 2016 was aaawful. I watched less anime that year than I watch in a season regularly.

1 Like

But Kimi no Na Wa, Koe no Katachi came out in 2016.
There’s also Mob Psycho, Erased, Re:Zero, Shelter, JoJo’s Part 4, Rakugo and KonoSuba
I’d hardly call 2016 that bad of a year for me at least, but assuming you couldn’t enjoy any one of these anime, I can see why you’d think 2016 sucked.
I may be biased, as this is the year I entered anime, but it was not by any means awful.

Also in response to your second sentence, quality over quantity.
When you judge a year, you got to take in consideration not just how many good shows there were, but how good those shows were.
I don’t really know what point of reference you are comparing 2016 to and concluding that it’s awful, but I feel that undermines some of the great anime that came out this year.

*Note I would’ve sent this earlier but there was some weirdness with Error 502

I’d hardly say movies count. They have very different releases.

Didn’t watch Mob, Erased was bad, Re:Zero was meh, Shelter was a music video, Jojo Part 4 is a part 4, Rakugo got dropped, and KonoSuba was nothing to carry a season.
To me there wasn’t a single big show. But I can understand, Erased and Rakugo in particular could easily make someone’s year, KonoSuba was hilarious, and Re:Zero had a great protagonist. They just aren’t stellar performers to me.

When I think of positives in 2016, I think Grimgar, New Game, ReLIFE and Amaama to Inazuma. None of these shows were amazing, they were just relaxing and pretty okay to watch. Unremarkable I’d say.

Disagree, match quality with quantity. A good amount of okay or better shows with some standout hits is perfect for me. I like the average stuff, they fill time and generally feel good to watch. I like the big shows that blow me away, because they make me enjoy anime. A season that lacks one of these two is a failure to me, and in my opinion 2016 lacked both.

2 Likes

So I finally got back into watching some anime (and a bit of some TV series to get back into the swing of but that’s not the topic on hand). First off, ANN having problems makes me feel a little happier that I keep a list of anime to watch off the net. Even if Excel is really basic, you can still sort, move, and mark things however you want in the end.

Even though I am not a fan of the 2016 anime as a whole for the very little that I know about it, I still would like to give Rakugo a fair shake and get around to all of Natsume’s Book of Friends. Then again, there may be something else from that season (maybe Amaama to Inazuma or Saiki) that may come up since I’ve been plenty wrong before. :slight_smile:

For now though, it’ll likely be season 2 of Shakugan no Shana, Gundam Seed or After War Gundam X, season 2 of Mahoromatic except for the last episode apparently, and the rest of AKB0048 mixed around. I haven’t thought of the next “healing anime” season or next Ghibli film to get into yet.

EDIT: At the very least, I hope that everyone is having fun watching whatever anime they are watching. I’m not sure how this next batch will go.

1 Like

With the Akari icon, I’m surprised you don’t seem interesting in Amanchu!. This is of course assuming you haven’t watched it yet.

This would be the first time I’ve heard of it. I didn’t know that Sato made another anime anywhere close to Aria, but it does make me wonder why the friend I discuss iyashikei with never mentioned it.

Thank you for bringing this up!

Amanchu! is also made by Kozue Amano, who created Aria. Should also recommend Tamayura, which while not made by Amano, still has Junichi Satou attached to it. As a whole, Tamayura is as close to Aria as you can get with iyashikei. Love it just about as much.

1 Like

I will definitely look into both series and watch a little of each to see what they are really about. The big reason I haven’t done Flying Witch or Amaama is because I am reading the manga instead. Again, thank you!

Also on that subject, some of you have been mentioning Monogatari recently (on Twitter I mean of course). So excluding anything in that series that would be straight up horror, is this a series that you would suggest to just about anyone? I don’t get the sense that there is a good comparison but if it’s really good then I won’t care about that.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d suggest it to anyone but it’s not really a horror series. It has a lot of Japanese wordplay as well as ties to different areas of Japanese (and some other) mythology. I’ve also heard some people who say they’ve had trouble following what was going on (although this seems the minority).

I think anyone who has watched a decent amount of anime will probably be fine. I’d suggest against watching Bakemonogatari (1st season) on Crunchyroll though as the quality is garbage and the last 3 episodes were released as OVAs which Aniplex didn’t give to Crunchyroll and are story important.

Personally didn’t like Amaama, but if you want something similar, you can’t go wrong with Usagi Drop. Unlike Amaama, there is no Usagi Drop manga. This is a fact.

1 Like

As for Bakemonogatari I will follow that advice then since there is no reason not to miss story important material. The worst thing that can happen is that it’s not for me or it’s hard to follow for a bit and that can be easily fixed.

As for Usagi Drop, I already have the first 4 mangas so you are too late. :ahaha: There are definite plans to watch that anime, it’s just that I don’t feel that time is now is all.

1 Like

Local DVD exchange had a copy of Fate/Stay Night so I decided to give it a try. Watched 4 episodes, not sure if this is going to appeal to me that much, not really interested in the battle side of it but I enjoy the quieter more introspective character moments so far. Will be interested how this much if at all ties in to the Arthurian mythos.

I know there is a dedicated topic for this but I’m trying to avoid spoilers…so I’ll probably post there more once I’ve finished watching all the series.

WAIT! STOP! Don’t… just yet!

I hope you’re not at the last third of the series yet while you read this.

I’d suggest you watch Fate/Zero first, it’s the prequel to Fate/Stay Night and is considered to be far better by most viewers. Since it’s a prequel, it’s better not to spoil yourself with the original if you can help it.