General Anime Discussion

[quote=“Kotarou, post:305, topic:27”]
I know there are some people who are watching Comet Lucifer
[/quote]I do, and all I can say is that it isn’t the worst show this season (cough Lance n masques cough), but it doesn’t exactly fill me with a lot of hope either, especially when considering what @Pik3rob already said about their Grisaia adaption; I only saw 2 or 3 eps of that, but what I saw was pretty bleh

[quote=“DMB, post:306, topic:27”]
I finally watched overlord
[/quote]Overlord was great, the only thing that disappointed me a bit was the mess that was the 3rd arc (Ep10-13), I recommend reading the LN, it’s so much better^^

===

And RIP Matsuki Miyu, 38 is way too young ;_;

1 Like

I’m enjoying that (not all that good though) the worst by far this season is Shomin Sample.

While Comet Lucifer isn’t the best I am having fun with it.I think Grisaia is a better sample of how Rewrite will go as CL is an original anime so they can write it to fit anime style without worrying about pissing off fans of the original (if 8-bit even worries about that).

Favorite anime: Aldnoah.Zero because firetruck @Naoki_saten. It’s the only action Mecha anime I’ve really enjoyed. Well, not really my favorite. That answer depends on the mood. (@Pumpkin go watch it)
Least Favorite anime: Mirai Nikki, in short, because the story is really convenient to the protagonist, who also didn’t fit with my tastes.

(Even if I generally hated the Little Busters anime, I couldn’t put it here because they nailed it in certain scenes)

And now for the comment I really wanted to make. Usually everyone who has read the novel thinks the novel is better than the adaptation (be it a movie, series or anime, but stick to anime here). However, has anyone had an experience where it’s the opposite? It happened to me with Higurashi’s adaptation. For me, the novel just dragged for too long (and the art is… well, -not great-), while the anime was much more enjoyable.

You’ve missed out on a lot of bad anime.

Does Shingeki no Bahamut count? If not, then I can’t think of any. I think there’s reason to prefer the Gakkou Gurashi anime, but even that is incomplete.

K-On! for me. I know it was using usual 4-koma style but I like how the anime connected scenes together as well as some of the anime original scenes being my favourite in the series.

If we’re counting manga and not just VNs, Elfen Lied. The anime ended on a good note while the manga continued and went batshit insane.

Plus Lilium. Oh god Lilium.

School Days
Even now, School Days remains the only Visual Novel that I have actually dropped because I hated it. But the characters were still interesting, so I watched the anime instead and the anime was awesome!

I’m actually laughing my ass off to Lance n masques. All this ridiculous stuff happens but all characters are absolutely serious about it. So I’m kinda enjoying it ^^

It’s usually the total opposite when people talk about Elfen Lied. The anime ending was a mess, and the show didn’t really do much…

It’s like the slowest anime ever. Quiet clips of people talking about nothing in particular…

That wasn’t even why I hated the VN. It got irksome just halfway through. Within just a few days of in-game time, you could get an H-scene with a heroine who is afraid of the slightest touch, it becomes just all about who does it with whom and how often, the dude who’s supposed to be a wingman is a complete moron, but the worst of all, the absolute worst was the protagonists’ VA performance. He was speaking in monotone the whole damn time, no matter what situation he was in!!
I made a ragequit without completing even a single route -_-

For some weird reason, he did his job properly in the anime o.O (or did someone else do the voicing in the anime?)

Oh, I never actually got that far, even with lots of skipping. I think the monotone thing is kinda fitting for what the VN is though.

Is anyone here watching Heavy Object, it is a sci-fi/comedy anime airing this fall. It may have a slow start but it progressively gets better. Oh and the ending song is amazingly good, it may even be the best ending song this season

Heavy Object, from what I’ve seen so far, has just been “Object appears, Pricess gets captured, MC pulls Plotsword from the stone and wins”

Might get more interesting later, but this has been pretty much it for the 3-4 episodes I’ve watched.

Don’t worry! It gets better(slowly) with each passing episode and the comedy is starting to present itself. If the anime keep progressing, I guarantee it will be more interesting later on. So I really hope you don’t drop the show, or at least wait till more episodes are shown.

You sound like Maeda when Charlotte. :masgrin:

Lol, I guess. The plot of it in episode 1 is pretty common. But I was talking about the most recent episode’s ending. The song put in there was beautiful. Beautiful like Shizuru.

1 Like

So, I finally got around to finishing Rokka no Yuusha.

Up to about the last 10 or so minutes, I thought my first response was gonna be “Season 2 when?”… but then that, umm, other girl showed up. And now all I have to say is thats one of the ugliest character designs Ive ever seen.

That said, I really enjoyed the series up to that those last 5-10 minutes. It definitely wasnt what I was expecting, and it was pretty boring for the first couple of episodes after Ep1, but I think they did the locked room mystery pretty well.

I think I would recommend it, but only if youre OK with endings that leave more open than they closed up. Classic light novel adaptation. Im sure there are plenty of people who would find it completely boring tho, so its definitely not one that I would say push yourself to watch if you dont like.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me ?
I want an anime like Sakurasou No Pet Na Kanojo, and like Mangaka San to Assist-San. Anime’s that have and/or talk about having dreams of becoming a manga artist/anime creator/ script writer, etc. and how the characters want to achieve dreams like that. If that makes any sense. I find Anime’s like those as joyful, and hopeful, for me atleast.

And does anyone have any suggestions for an anime like “Sunday without God” ? My gosh, that anime was great IMO. That’s the bad thing about Anime adaptions from LN/Manga/N though, they only adapt the first part of the story which might not make sense, such as the ending of Sunday Without God, and then you have to read the next parts of the story from the original source, if it ever gets translated, or if you ever learn Japanese and buy it.

I believe Bakuman. is about two high school kids becoming manga creators to impress a girl (haven’t had a chance to watch it but the manga is by the creators of Death Note and I’ve heard good things about it).

I really liked Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun) which is about this girl that works up her courage to confess to a guy then she finds out he’s a manga artist and he thinks she’s asking for an autograph. She becomes one of his assistants but it focuses a lot on both the manga creation and side character’s relationships. It only adapts the first part like you were talking about in your second half but Yen Press just released volume 1 in English about a week ago if you end up liking it (I think the manga is still ongoing in Japan so there’s a chance of S2 but I doubt it).

1 Like

Yeah, the first ones I thought of were the ones @Doublethree1 mentioned. There’s also Shirobako, I think a lot of people really liked that. I guess you could probably count Ef: A Tale of Memories as well, but there are also plenty of other reasons to recommend that one besides the “aspiring mangaka” subplot ^^;

1 Like

Thanks @Doublethree1 and @Yerian
I’ll make sure to check them out :smiley: