Fire Emblem

Well, they made the mistake of removing supports, which is the mechanic that characterizes all the characters in FE games. It’s also kinda bad that Gaiden chapters can only be reached by playing bad, as they all have a requirement of dead playable units to play them.

For the Gaiden chapters in FE7, hope you trained your Nils to level 7 in Lyn’s mode, otherwise you won’t get one of them.

So I was talking to my friend about fates the other day. Apparently shes a noob at fire emblem since she only played awakening and fates. I told her about how back in the gba days and even in radiance and radiant dawn, knights/generals used to be my favorite line of class but not in the 3ds games. I never really used generals in awakening or fates. Idk, to me they kinda just suck now. I always remembered that the generals in the gba versions used to be fast enough to either not get doubled or sometimes even get doubles on enemies, so why do they suck so much now? Did they just get nerfed considerably? Or maybe its just that the class skills for knights/generals are kinda trash now. Like generals have so much less damage output nowadays. Theyre just expected to sit there and tank physical damage but not magic damage? I mean I kinda get that magic is supposed to be the counter to generals but the alternatives for generals are so much better. I fricken love spear masters in fates. Like, a ton. Is it just me or are spear masters the best thing ever. They are naturally super tanky, they have access to both seal defense and seal speed which renders whatever attacks them completely vulnerable, and they have good speed too. Throw in a guard naginata and you simply can’t die… mostly.

Anyways, that’s my class rant for fates. What about you guys? Are there certain classes you like or dislike? Maybe it’s how the class has changed over time or just how new classes rendered them obsolete. Or you can argue against my opinion.

I really like them in Fates (never used Kellam, so wouldn’t know about Awakening). Benny or Effie are pretty much essential to getting through Conquest imo. They also can’t be doubled when they’re a general because they get the ability Wary Fighter. Benny also has a ton of resistance, which most units in Conquest lack, so he can be used as a defensive wall in every scenario.

I’ve always loved pegasus knights. High spd classes that are capable of moving from one place to the next on the board are extremely useful. I’ve counted on them many times in the past for success. Although they weren’t AS strong in the older games, I found myself frequently getting a fair number of strength gains in level-ups. Florina and Farina especially consistently ended up powerful units if I went through the trouble of leveling them up in 7. And in Awakening? I almost feel they’re broken. Pair Sumia or Cynthia up with a knight or paladin (ie., someone with a support bonus increasing their strength and defense) and they end up some of the most powerful pieces in the board.

It’s interesting you mention Generals. The earliest game I’ve played through in the series is 7, and while Generals do move faster than knights, it’s only by 1. So, Generals move 5. I’m not sure if this is different in Awakening/Fates, but I don’t believe it to be the case. I’ve never been fond of them, because I hate the fact they’re weak to magic. Honestly, I found myself reaping similar tank-type benefits from paladins, who are much faster, can access all three melee weapons, and have a slightly higher resistance to magic.

Oh but what about fates? Their mobility will always be good but to me, their skills don’t really complement them very well. Maybe its just because I don’t like they skills they have access to in general. They’re just so squishy and sure you can do pretty well with them if you strategize and make sure they don’t die but at the same time that’s like saying they can’t hold their own. Personally I prefer Swordmasters to Falcon/Kinshi knights because while they do not have the air mobility, they get access to vantage and astra which keep them from dying. Like I get that fliers in awakening were op af because the had access to galeforce and galeforce was actually good but now its like, why do I need warding blow if 1. falcon knights have naturally high resistance and 2. they should be able to wreck mages anyways. Also I just like sword users in general better because they have a very low chance of getting rekt by axe wielders (I like to glass cannon a lot).

1 Like

Tbh, I haven’t played Fates yet, so I’m not sure about their properties in that one. I definitely see the appeal in Swordmasters, however. I made great use of them in 7 at times. I loved drawing fire with units that, while having relatively low defense and HP, had extremely high dodge rates and high crit chances. Swordmasters are the best of both worlds that way, but I strangely got a lot of mileage out of clerics, thieves, and heck, even Ninian for their dodge rates depending on my playthrough. I feel like clerics and thieves seem to have had their spd growths mitigated in Awakening, however…

I’ve always been partial towards dodgetanks. Maybe its because I always liked their high damage output when they get crits. This insludes Swordmasters in pretty much all games and Falcon Knights in some. It also feels more rewarding because you have to put more work into them, I think. Knights generally have high enough attack and defense to be viable as soon as you get them but squishier units you need to put some levels into first.

And in Awakening Galeforce tho. I loved pairing up two units with galeforce, triggering it on both of them once, and end up having one unit able to cover like 30 spaces in a single turn.

Paladins only get Swords and Spears, and I believe have much higher resistance. You may be thinking of Great Knight but honestly either is better than General in the new games.

Oh, my bad.

I’m also a fan of Swordmasters and Pegasus Knights in most games. It’s a bummer that dodge-tanking isn’t that viable in Fates anymore. One class I’m a huge fan of that I always train are most mages. In fact, when playing Radiant Dawn, half my end team often consists of mages partly because I want to use all SS/S+ (depending on region) weapons (Radiant Dawn Spoilers) and thanks to the whole blessing by Yune thing and restrictions on weapon ranks, each person can only use one of these things (although a blessed Bolting is also fun with all those dragons in Final part 3). And while half mages seems like a terrible team composition, considering that from Final part 4 onwards only Resistence really counts, it doesn’t hurt me too much. Furthermore, I’m one of those rare FE players that likes archers, even before they were buffed in Radiant Dawn and Fates.

Dango wasn’t too far off, as Paladins could indeed use all three weapons in FE 7.

2 Likes

I guess I haven’t used archers very much in the old games either but I definitely noticed how strong archers have gotten in fates. Seriously, I think I could use like 4 archers but I’m gonna be cutting it down to 2 for the sake of diversification. It seems like archers have gotten a little tankier… or maybe its just because takumi is op af. Idk really.

Awesome. I never got much mileage out of archers in Awakening. Virion had horrible stat gains on average, and Noire just never seemed worth levelling up. How are their class-based skills?

which is why I only said fates… I didn’t use any archers in awakening, but in fates, their class skills aren’t bad. Well at least archers. Outlaws on the other hand… are kinda meh. Archers can become kinshi knights or snipers. I don’t like kinshi knights really but snipers get certain blow (+40 hit when you trigger the battle) and bowfaire (+5 damage for bows) which work well along with the archer skill quick draw (+4 damage when you trigger the battle). Outlaws however get to promote to adventurers or bow knights, and I don’t any of their skills. I think I just hate nohrian classes in general really. That might just be how they make conquest harder but still, hoshidan classes almost are always better to me except for stuff like nohrian noble.

How many archers by default do you get in Conquest?

If I remember correctly its niles as outlaw and shura as adventurer. I used niles but he didn’t actually seem very good, useful for locktouch but not much else.

Fire Emblem is a Legendary series based on what I heard from my older brother on how good the games were and from other people. I played Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, and it was amazing, I WAS excited for Fates but it’s been out and I played it already haha! (This forum is a little old :joy:) But yeah, Fire Emblem Fates made it on to my Top Ten Favorite Games of All Time and I am officially part of the Fire Emblem Fanbase and can’t wait to play the rest of them, especially Path of Radiance!!! :smile:

but what about the other fates games?

I picked Birthright and I will play Revelations soon.

But Conquest though. It’s by far the best one.

It seems to me like mounted units in Fates were basically king. The cross map mobility combined with the fact that they were usually good in combat anyway was just too much to pass up.

As far as knights were concerned, they basically were useless in Awakening because there was just never a need for a physical wall, and they got doubled by basically everything so their extra tankiness was pointless anyways. The sheer viability of dodge tanking as a strategy in Awakening, especially on units like heroes who would just sustain what hits they actually did take with Sol, pretty much totally invalidated the need for knights.

This is different in Fates. In Conquest one of your most godly units starts as a knight, and she weirdly enough actually has very good speed growths, to the point where if you promote her to great knight she’ll find herself doubling slow units and being fast enough to not get doubled by anything that’s not a ninja. I thought Benny was basically useless compared to Effie, because all he had was a bit more tankiness in exchange for being a worse combat unit in general.

Also, bow users in Fates are absolutely crazy. Bows do insane damage, and there are even versions of them that can attack adjacent units! It’s like they saw how little people cared about archers in awakening and just decided “what if bows had axe-tier damage but weren’t nearly as inaccurate!” In fact bows are so good that the bow users you do actually get in Conquest are hamstrung in pretty significant ways (in Niles’ case, having stupid low str and low skill, and in Shura’s case, an awkward recruit time as well as being a prepromote that’s not a royal family member), and I can only assume that’s because if they weren’t then it might be too much of an advantage.

Of course, I’m always gonna be a fan of swordmasters. I just like the high skill/high speed units too much.

Which really shows that you should just reclass Mozu to Archer as soon as possible. Her “problem”, if you wanna call it that, really are the low starting stats, but that’s mitigated quickly enough after some levels, and those levels are going to be amazing thanks to her Villager skill. As someone once said, she’s basically Takumi without Fujin Yumi.