Fire Emblem

I feel like we’re long overdue for a Fire Emblem topic, but with Fates around the corner, now seems as good a time as ever to bring it up! Please tag any end-story spoilers or any non-surface information about Fates with [spoiler].

What do you think of the series? Which games have you played, and which are your favourites? Are you excited for Fates? Let’s get some discussion happening!

4 Likes

I’m tired and my head hurts but I’ll do a brief post I guess.

Personally, I love Fire Emblem. Favorite series. At some point when I was a kid one of my brother’s friends just gave him FE7 and FE8 for free, so I played the heck out of those games, especially FE8. It’s not a series without its bumps and faults by any means, but the core gameplay is fantastic.

1. Some of Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4)
  2. Binding Blade (FE6)
  3. Blazing Sword (FE7)
  4. Sacred Stones (FE8)
  5. Some of Path of Radiance (FE9)
  6. Some of Radiant Dawn (FE10)
  7. Shadow Dragon (FE11)
  8. Awakening (FE13)
  9. Some of If (FE14)

In terms of number of times played, FE7 probably wins, with FE8 following close behind. Even though I haven’t beat it, I really, really like FE4. The mechanics are awesome and it’s the only game with a plot I’ve found myself caring about. Same turn reinforcements aside, I enjoy FE6 a lot as well.

Also, even though I have literally no excuse for not having beat it several times over by now, FE If has absolutely fantastic gameplay. Like holy shit it’s leaps and bounds better than Awakening. Story from what I’ve played so far is solid, but there are some things that have rubbed me the wrong way.

http://puu.sh/iIYfd/c895aaad59.JPG
Just a bit.

My head hurts so I don’t want to type much more but I can say that If is, at least in my opinion, worth the hype.

About damn time we got this topic. Interested in hearing what y’all got to say.

2 Likes

I’m quite the Fire Emblem fan, but I’m not super invested in the games to where I play them all the time. I do however discuss the series quite a bit online with other people.

Fire Emblem isn’t the easiest game to pick up for me. In Fire Emblem failure is a bigger setback than in other games. Resetting a chapter in Fire Emblem is a lot worse than resetting a level in Mario. Chapters in the latter half of these games can be almost an hour long, and if you lose a unit in one of these chapters, then chances are you’ll restart he chapter (you can continue if you want, but nobody actually does this). This discourages me from really picking up the games too much, since I don’t like the idea of an hour of progress being lost.

With that said, that’s one of the only negative things I can say about it, and it’s really subjective how bad that actually is. I really like Fire Emblem. I’ve played FE6-8 and 13. I’m halfway through Path of Radiance, and Shadow Dragon just wasn’t for me.

I admit that I’m probably not very good at Fire Emblem, since I can get impatient at times, and don’t think things completely through (I should really stop that). I even had trouble with Sacred Stones, even though it’s considered one of the easier games in the series. But I’ll still keep on playing hoping I get better, since I still find the games incredibly fun.

I’m excited for Fates and am getting it Day One, but that’s more because it’s Fire Emblem, than me thinking Fates is going to be this masterpiece of a game, since it hasn’t been getting monumental praise among the Fire Emblem community. I’d much rather play the game without any expectations.

I’d also like put out there that Cordelia is the best Fire Emblem girl.

I was playing Fire Emblem when this topic was made xD

Anyway, I don’t own any FE games, but I’ve played Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon, and Awakening.
I’ve also read through the script for New Mystery of the Emblem because MARTH.
I REALLY want to play 6-8 someday but I doubt that will happen. Still, I do own a gameboy advance so it’s not impossible.

Anyway, I discovered FE because of Super Smash Bros Brawl last year. I heard Marth speak Japanese and it was love at first…hearing? Anyway, my Senpai (aka best friend who is a year older than I am) said she owned Shadow Dragon and let me borrow it. I kept it for about 3 months and played it…a lot of times. The story and characters in Shadow Dragon are kind of crappy but I loved the mechanics of the game and it has Marth so I loved it.

Senpai also owns Path of Radiance, so we played that together last summer. Path of Radiance is my favorite FE game because it has amazing characters.

For her birthday, Senpai got Radiant Dawn, so we played that together throughout the year. I liked it but between Micaiah’s boring personality and Sothe’s atrocious belly-shirt, I didn’t like it as much as Path of Radiance.

I played Awakening at the beginning of August because I randomly stumbled across it at the library. I borrowed my brother’s 3DS.

Senpai left for college but she told me to hold onto Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for her. So I’ve been playing Path of Radiance again.

Anyway, i’m super excited for Fates so hopefully I can hijack my brother’s 3DS again.

Now it’s time to list ny favorite characters!
~Shadow Dragon~
Male: Marth, of course
Female: Minerva
~Path of Radiance~
Male: Geoffrey, Soren, Ranulf, Reyson, and Zelgius
Female: TITANIA and Aimee
~Radiant Dawn~
Male: Pelleas
Female: Lyre
~Awakening~
Male: INIGO YES
Female: Olivia and Tharja

I’ve played some of the older ones, but apparently they are the worst ones, so my view on the earlier bits of the series isn’t great. Add in the fact that I don’t like gameplay, aaand… It’s not good.

The new style though is pretty great. It’s essentially a matchmaking-simulator, and I love it. Bought Awakening on my birthday some years ago, and have sunk 181 hours into it so far, and I haven’t started the DLC maps yet. I’ll be looking to get Fates too. Might have to get the Japanese version if they limit too much in the localization though.

Favorite Characters… Well Olivia and Inigo are always hard carries late game, and Noire gets pretty devastating once you unlock her. Outside of gameplay though, it’s either Lucina, Lyn or Shiida.

What do you mean by “older ones”? Do you mean 1-3, because those are the only older ones that aren’t considered that good? 4 and 5 are considered some of the best in the series, and 6-12 aren’t really in the older game category. Awakening in general doesn’t really have too different of a style as the 6-12 other than the dating mechanics and pair up.

No, the late GBA/DS-era titles. I don’t see why 6-12 can’t be considered old. They feel vastly outdated to me at least. Not as outdated as the originals, but bad enough.

It’s not as ugly as the others, it has a story that’s at least slightly interesting, and the dating mechanics actually make the cast more interesting than it should be.

When it comes to video games, I judge purely by story, characters, graphics, audio, and gimmicks. Awakening was better at all of those things than, for example, the abandoned copy of Sacred Stones sitting in my 3DS, or any of those DS remakes.

Awakening revived a dying franchise, and that’s because it’s the only one that looks and feels like a modern game. If you are a gamer, then going back and enjoying older titles may be an option… but they are just archaic and dull from my point of view. Maybe I’m just a young kid who doesn’t appreciate outdated stuff~

I think we are the same age, and I generally dislike old stuff and I am definitely not a gamer. Fire Emblem is literally the only game I play.
I can see why you think Awakening is better than all the others, but I don’t think you have to be a gamer who appreciates old games to like the older FE games (since I’m a counterexample). I agree Shadow Dragon has terrible art, characters, and plot, and I know a lot of people don’t care for it. But I think the plot and characters of Path of Radiance surpass those of Awakening, and I actually like the art style of Path of Radiance more.
I just wish it had a setting where I could make the voices Japanese because the cutscenes are painful to watch.

1 Like

Sacred Stones is probably my favorite out of the games I’ve played. I’ve played 6-8, tried 9 and 11. I bought Awakening and loved it, replayed it, currently in a Lunatic run that I started like 2 years ago.

It’s a really fun series and it’s probably one of my favorites. Fates looks really good so let’s hope they don’t censor everything I guess.

1 Like

Guess I confused old with pre and post Kaga Fire Emblem. I guess I never really considered those games very outdated (except for 11 and 12), since they still seem to function correctly, and have well paced gameplay. Guess they just aren’t for you.

I don’t understand why the dating mechanics make the cast more interesting than in other games. The cast really only gets fleshed out through support conversations, and just about every Fire Emblem game has them. The cast in Awakening don’t really get any more personality or development as characters from other games.

1 Like

Maybe I missed them in the games I played then. The actual cast of Awakening is incredibly generic, as was the story, however they all had enough to make them matter. That’s not something I can say for any of the others I touched.

Well, here’s another series I’ve been on and off about. The thing about the Fire Emblem series is that while I had the desire to play the games a while back and was actively seeking them out, I did not have the finances or required gaming platforms to actually purchase and spend time with them. Some of the games have gone up for ridiculous prices (I can’t find Radiant Dawn for any lower than $80), and after a while, my interest in the series faded as I decided to pursue other games. Nowadays, I think back on the series on occasion, even take some time to play some of the older games via emulation, but I’m not passionate about the series anymore. It happens to me often with many established franchises, but those are for different topics. ^^

I have touched each of the NES and SNES games briefly, as well as the GBA games. Rekka no Ken is the only game I ever completed. I would say my favorites are Rekka no Ken and Gaiden.

[quote=“Aspirety, post:1, topic:1842”]
Are you excited for Fates?
[/quote]Eh…I wish I could be. Don’t have a 3DS, though. ^^;

(Now where’s my copy of Sakura Wars V…?)

Of the games I’ve played, Path of Radiance and Awakening have support convos, Radiant Dawn just has “Info” convos, and Shadow Dragon has nothing :stuck_out_tongue: New Mystery of the Emblem has support convos though.
I wish New Mystery of the Emblem had been released in America instead of Shadow Dragon, because I feel it would be a better game to play.

Yeah right? Katarina’s a cutie and I wanna play the game she’s in. cough

Speaking of which, how many FE games have you played? I don’t recall you posting that yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Basically all of them. I did not finish Shadow dragons nor Thracia, but I at least tried all of them.
My Favorite is probably Sacred Stones. it may be because it’s the first one I ever played.
I also like Binding Blades a lot, but I must say I enjoyed all of them (except Thracia, screw Thracia)

Hey everyone, I want to host a Fire Emblem 7 draft with you Kaza folk! What this means is that players take turns drafting the units they’ll be able to use, and then playing through the game competing for the lowest turncount (although simply finishing is the most important part). As you play along you’ll make some small (or large if you’d prefer) progress updates on a Google Doc. It’s a leisurely event, just for fun, so don’t feel pressured if you’re new or not some sort of LTC player, anyone’s welcome.

I tried to host this in the past, but the biggest problem was that people were not actually playing the game. Now, it’s fine if you only do a small update every few days or whatever, but I don’t want people joining up here unless they can actually commit to playing and finishing the game. Doesn’t have to be in a day, or even a week, but you need to be, like, present.

If you want to join or have any questions, just shoot me a private message. Figured this whole thing would be better here than as an event topic, since there just isn’t enough room for everybody.

Edit: All the draft slots are full! That was really quick. Sorry to anyone who wanted to get in, but I plan on doing more of these in the future so if you say something now I’ll certainly keep it in mind.

Including FE14? If so, curious what your opinion on it is.

Which one? Path of Radiance I’d guess.

People (or at least @Rippleshadow) were listing their favorite characters so I guess I can as well. Why not.

FE4: Levin’s pretty sweet.
FE6: Marcus. Not quite as much of a god as he is in FE7, but this senior citizen really puts in work.
FE7: Matthew and Serra, and not necessarily as a pair. Matthew because he’s a total bro whose relationship with Leila is actually done nicely, and Serra because she’s just amusing.
FE8: Joshua’s got really good character. Seth pretty handily snaps the game over his knee and has cool lines when fighting against (FE8) Orson, so he gets points for that.

1 Like

Hey, I’ll try again! I’m not really good at FE though, so my primary goal is just finishing the game. xP

I have not played 14 yet, unfortunately it is not coming out in NA until this winter. I’ll get it as soon as it comes out though.
I’m also looking forward to the Shin megami X Fire Emblem game, it seems interesting.

I know it didn’t work with my schedule last time, but it is now way lighter than before, so count me in.

1 Like

Yes, I’m on the Endgame for Path of Radiance right now. For some reason I felt like having Ike fight by himself (and then I summoned Tibarn), so I basically had Tibarn and Ike do everything…only for Ike to be killed by Ashnard :stuck_out_tongue:
I didn’t realize until after I attacked him that one hit had taken 26 hp, and Ike only has 51 hp…
I decided to save that battle for another day.

I couldn’t have joined the draft even if I’d wanted to, unfortunately. Playing FE7 someday is a goal of mine, though.