Community Event Idea Topic

If that’s the case then I guess ill start making either a spread sheet, or poll to vote for everything. I should have it done by tomorrow night as well some movie ideas and places to get theme. I’m thinking of doing unlicensed anime movies so that people wont have issues with downloading them.

I still think you should wait for @Aspirety-sama’s approval. What if he’s planning something for the next days or if he just doesn’t like the idea?

I agree, but I don’t believe there is any harm in getting a head start on setting the basics up. Also, thank you for @ ing aspi

then he could tell us to reschedule? I really don’t think it’s necessary to get his opinion on EVERYTHING that happens here. That’s part of the reason we have more mods now.
Not to mention that he already has the book club and podcasts going on, so I doubt he’d add more onto that at the moment.

[quote=“raiyan, post:101, topic:69”]
If that’s the case then I guess ill start making either a spread sheet, or poll to vote for everything. I should have it done by tomorrow night as well some movie ideas and places to get theme.
[/quote]can a man not get at least a full day’s rest after returning home from a con? jeez.

I’ll have something going first thing when I wake up tomorrow; I’m WAY too tired to use words well right now.

It’s ok, me and @Yerian already got pretty much everything set up. All we need now is approval and a small list of movies people would want to watch.

Judging by the way he was talking about it, I’d say he sees you as competition instead of help.

Either way, it looks like this viewing party is already on the tracks.

I’m sorry if I came across that way. It was never meant to be an aggressive post. I apologize if I offended you in any way.

You guys make it sound like @Aspirety controls literally everything that the members do with each other :stuck_out_tongue: Chill guys, as long as we don’t do anything stupid, there ain’t no problem with a bunch of friends just watching a movie.

4 Likes

I was just afraid @Aspirety-sama didn’t like the idea. But I think it has no problem, since the event will happen outside Kazamatsuri. Unless there’s something like a post about it…

really now? how do you plan to watch it all together? what if something goes wrong with that method? how do you plan to get your audience to all meet up at the same time? what if some people can’t make it because of the time you chose? do you give more than one showing? if so, then how do you plan to keep them both the same level of quality?

I’ve been planning to have an event like this for a long time now, but didn’t do anything out of respect for the book club. When the favor tipped to the other side and you guys said you wanted one now, I started directly planning how to run it; and I even took time away from my convention so that I would be able to get it done in a timely manner, but I didn’t have my computer with me so I couldn’t post anything. I even got someone to post for me so that you guys would know that I was working on it, but apparently you wanted to move ahead with it yourselves instead of let the guy who’s been planning to do it for months set it up.

Go on though, go have your event. You already started a poll and everything. I’ll just look for better ways to spend my time than trying to bring fun to a community of people; don’t worry about it.

You tell people when it’s happening.

Then they don’t show up.

Depends on the reception of the first trial event, and if there is enough interest amongst the others who didn’t get to attend.

Does that matter? The people involved make it, so it’s the attendees’ responsibility to make it fun. If they don’t then they wasted their time.

There can be more than one event. It’s not exclusive to one person, it’s a community event.

I think you’re taking this very personally. It’s just a fun little event. It really doesn’t matter who sets it up, so long as something happens with it, although props to the organizer for taking the time to do stuff. If you were taking time out of a convention to think about a forum event, then that’s your decision and responsibility. You’ve invested the time, so you either continue to invest more time until it’s complete, or you drop it so that you don’t invest more time into it. What other people do with their time shouldn’t matter, but if you want to drop your own investments because someone is going ahead with their own, then power to you.

2 Likes

Hey @AngelofDeath720. Ryan and I had no idea that you had already put so much work into this. To us it sounded like everyone agree it would be a great idea, but no one was taking action. Honestly, we thought by taking care of this one, we were taking the pressure off you since you sounded kinda stressed about it in your previous post.

We would still love to have your help and input on all of this, if you are willing. We’re very sorry that we stole this from you without knowing.

On the current bi-week schedule, we will not be interfering with bookclub podcasting. And the point of it being movies instead of whole series is so that no one has to be invested over long periods of time. If they miss one, they can just go to the next one. People can join whenever they want, and we’ve tried to make it clear that if anyone has any better ideas about timing and showing we would love to hear them.

1 Like

Hey, look @sillylittlemelody and @MalignantSeraph. I really dont agree with either of you. But this isnt the place for discussion over what the word friend means. Or for making personal attacks on each other about their choice of language. Please do that somewhere else, and keep this topic for discussion community events.

And try to be nicer to each other!

4 Likes

I’ve never seen a topic for “What the word friend means”. Everyone knows that. People just misuse the word.

I will stop here, since this topic is only for community events. But I wasn’t throwing personal attacks at @MalignantSeraph. MalignantSeraph = good guy/girl/whatever he is (I dunno)

believe me, if making organizing events like this stressed me out on a regular basis, I wouldn’t do it. I was stressed this time because I knew you guys were probably going to beat me to it, not because of the event itself.

[quote=“Yerian, post:112, topic:69”]
On the current bi-week schedule, we will not be interfering with bookclub podcasting. And the point of it being movies instead of whole series is so that no one has to be invested over long periods of time. If they miss one, they can just go to the next one. People can join whenever they want, and we’ve tried to make it clear that if anyone has any better ideas about timing and showing we would love to hear them.
[/quote]groups of loosely related people tend to interact with diminishing returns. This is why many times there tends to be a lot of activity at the beginning of something and significantly less as time goes on(given a closed group of people). Since most of the people participating in the book club/podcast are in the same closed group as the people who would be participating in an event, that basically means that running an event, any event, at the same time as the book club is potentially weakening it’s audience; which is why I hadn’t done something yet. We could have done something like this at any time, but this is the first major book club the site has done and I know that is one of the big things Aspi wanted to have work with the site, so I decided that I would interfere with it as little as possible. this is also part of why I haven’t been posting/trying to generate activity as much in other threads too, but that is an entirely different story

[quote=“Yerian, post:112, topic:69”]
We would still love to have your help and input on all of this, if you are willing. We’re very sorry that we stole this from you without knowing.
[/quote]Honestly, at this point I’m just in a bad mood about the whole thing, so you probably won’t get any direct help from me; but, if for nothing more than a peace offering, I have a few words of advice.
first: for all intensive purposes, you have only offered 2 different times to watch. if you’re in a different time zone and can’t make a set time, 30 minutes probably isn’t going to change that much. if you don’t want to
second: a popularity vote is not always the best way to go. Especially considering that some people may have watched many of the movies beforehand.
and third: I would try to make all of the polling and whatnot on this site. google docs is really easy to manage, but having to switch between 2 sites all the time can get to be a bit of a hassle.

Anyone in the UK planning to go to Hyper Japan? Planning out my summer convention rounds, and I noticed it on the Kazamatsuri map. It’s waaaay further south than I normally get to go, but I’ll have extra money from my birthday, so it’s a possibility.

Me, @Nin and @Kanon are going!

Oh cool, I’ll have to look into it then. There’s a lot to look at for the Saturday…

I think we’ll ideally be going on the Friday. I don’t remember why but @Nin specifically chose that.

I am!?