Charlotte - Yuu Otosaka Character Discussion

Yu is great, he just stands around, wondering why he even there complaining about all the little stupid things happening around him.

He’s the perfect self insert for everybody watching this show.

2 Likes

I’M INTO ‘Shipper Extraordinaire mode’ right now

I’m sorry…but I think at the last of ep 4---- COUGH Key trying their best to ship Yuu x Nao…

and it’s make my brain confused for a while…

I still don’t understand what is Nao purpose for asking Yuu to use that power to the ‘subject’ I’mreallystupid
beside—Nao seems very calm though she do little skinship with Yuu—and Yuu is like WHY YOU DO THAT?! <<< his reaction are so priceless and innocent…and of course I find it cute <3

Don’t worry, it’s not your fault.

None of us understand yet what exactly she is doing and why she is doing it ._.

That’s the thing; I think, at this point, none of us really know who the true “Otosaka Yuu” is. We’ve just seen his reactions but we’ve never really seen his inner thoughts about everything that’s happening. I honestly don’t know exactly what I should expect from him, if he runs into an emergency situation, for instance. I can expect how Nao, Joujirou, heck, even Yusa would react to emergency. But Yuu? I have no fucking idea.

Adding that into the key visual we’ve seen before, well… That just got me excited again xP

Well actually, we have seen his true self. Once. In the very first scene of the show, in the intersection. That is who Yuu really is, and if you think about it, that explains why we dont really fell like we know him, since he doesnt feel like he knows himself.

2 Likes

I don’t think that would count as “regressing”, really. His personal progress is minuscule and the only reason he’s not being a selfish bastard right now are Nao’s watchfull eye and her orders. So it’d be more like he’ll be unleashed again, which is why, yes, that’s what I’m expecting to happen if Nao loosens her grip on Yuu too soon for whatever reason.

I think the closest we’ve seen to the “true Otosaka Yuu” was in ep1, the “glorious escape” scene at the school gate. He’s escaping, grabs Yumi’s hand, she falls and he just runs away, leaving her behind.
From that, we can tell that he’s selfish and he can’t handle unexpected/extreme situations. That’s not a lot, considering that his selfishness is pretty obvious. In a situation where he senses a threat for himself, I’m expecting him to just cowardly run away. Note that in the scene I mentioned, there wasn’t even a physical threat to him. Merely his shenanigans getting exposed.

pls no Sartre, pls no Huis clos

I disagree. Obviously, a person like him wouldn’t mind some ‘watchfull eye’ and orders. The only reason related to Nao he would act submissive like he’s acting would be some kind of limerence, which is too early to be possible.

As we could see, the experience he had on episode 2 left a big impact on him. Nao told him about her past and went through the trouble of showing her brother’s condition to him to make him fear the same could happen to him. So, as I’ve stated before, Nao successfully put him under her shoes with this tactic.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess that’s one thing we can confirm for now, but there should be a lot more to his personality than just that. Like we don’t know his motive for being such an asshole in the first episode; was he doing that for his own enjoyment? Or did he have other reasons? That’s what I mean when I say we don’t really know his true self.

It’s funny how I think you guys are on the same page; He doesn’t do it because nao is watching and if nao catches him he knows bad things will happen to him and his sister. He already knows for a fact that Hoshi no Umi is safe so he shouldn’t even worry about the scientists while he is in there.

1 Like

I think it’s more like that: he was reluctant to enter the school firstly, but then knowing about her past and stuff made him agree that she was right and gain more respect towards her. Thus, Yuu must’ve thought: “This girl sure knows stuff. I’d better listen to her unless I wanna end up dead.” Applying it, then, to everything she said.

I don’t think at this point he trusts nao quite yet, but he definitely knows what he should and shouldn’t be doing for his own sake and for his sister’s sake

If Yuu was truly afraid of being caught and experimented on the most, he wouldn’t follow Nao on outside missions where he constantly has to use his powers and get into conflicts. Those activities might attract even more attention than what he did prior to his school transfer. And he wouldn’t do it for money, either if he was truly afraid, since that, too, would be little different from using his power for his own benefit.

Yuu should be completely safe from scientists in Hoshi no Umi. He and Ayumi are on a scholarship, which takes care of financial trouble. So instead of going on dangerous missions, he could just stay in school and work his way to being popular again, as he tried right after entering the classroom for the first time. But he gave up right away because Nao and Joujirou were in the same classroom, watching him closely.

Sure, Yuu can’t cheat on tests anymore, but if he skillfully avoids the cameras, he can still improve his social life with his power. But he can’t because he’s on the student council and Nao wants him there. She’ll drag him back any number of times because she always gets her way.

so I just thought back at pretty much the end of the last episode, where Nao had him try something out and judging from what happened after that, it seems to me, that Yuu cant take over any other power user. I dont know why that didnt hit me earlier. (sorry if someone already brought this up. Right now, I am not feeling like reading throught all those posts in here)

1 Like

Didn’t he take over the archery dude in episode 2 and throw the picture of Nao in her underwear over to her? That’s the only time I can think of him taking over a power user so far though.

1 Like

But he didn’t actually take over his power did he? He just threw the already developed picture

@EndOfRefrain that’s a very good point! I’m excited to see if it’s true.

I read that as he can’t even take over other power users. If @EndOfRefrain meant he can’t take over and use I apologize.

Ah you are right! My bad I misread

oh damn it, he did. I totally forgot. Forget I said anything then. I screwed that up totally. Makes me wonder then why it just seemed like he collapsed when he tried to take over the baseball guy, at least that’s what it seemed like.

Well he pretty much collapses every single time he takes over anyone else. That was kind of the joke for a while, heh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, they made it seem like he just was completly gone. He didnt seem to have any memory of what just happened after he did it. Might just be, that they didnt show it for some odd reason, but it really makes me curious.

And this is the worst part; we have absolutely no idea what happened! Was it successful? Was there some side effect? argh