Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

No no, it’ll be something like Hanako, or Jiro.

2 Likes

Since this is related to the topic, is there any new insight from these guys? I don’t read that well or else i wouldn’t need engrish patches for the VNs

As far as Charlotte information goes, they basically just said that it was hard to keep silent about. It’s a hype post to gain interest in the Charlotte feature in an upcoming Dengeki G’s issue. We’ll get names of the hero and heroine, and some other stuff.

1 Like

I am so freaking hyped for it. I might not know anything about it, but I’m sure that I’ll have a hell of a time watching it. I went into the Clannad anime and Planitarian blind and loved them for it, and I hope I have a similar experience here.
I kind of figured the next Key anime was going to be an adaptation of Rewrite or another original story like Angel Beats!, and it appears the latter is the case. Seen as Jun Maeda’s composing the music makes me so happy; he’s never let me down before, and he’d better not start now.
Of the four studios to produce Key anime, Toei (Kanon 2002, Air and Clannad movies), Kyoto Ani (Air, Kanon 2006, and Clannad), PA Works (Angel Beats!), and JC Staff (Little Busters!), PA Works is my favorite and it makes me happy they’re producing it; I lost faith in Toei after Kanon, they redeemed themselves a tad bit with Air but I no longer trust them with anything remotely moe after the bullshit known as the Clannad movie, JC Staff is usually at their best with drama but their animation tends to be lacking, and as for Kyoto Ani, they’re good, but I prefer the quality/style if animation PA Works puts out.
My one concern at this point is summarized in one word: Aniplex. I’m just afraid that I’d be paying an arm and a leg to buy a copy of it once it comes to English speaking areas, not to mention their dubs being pretty hit or miss. I liked the ADV dubs for Air and Kanon 2006, and though their dubs aren’t the best and tend to overprice their releases as well, Sentai did a pretty decent job with the Clannad and Angel Beats! dubs (waiting to watch the Little Busters! dub until I get my copy of the DVDs: a little Christmas/birthday present for myself)
Good Madoka, I didn’t intend for this post to be as long as it is, but at least I was able to get my points across.

1 Like

It’s hard for me to speak a lot on the actual series itself, but as far as how interesting it is that Key’s new franchise (Regarded as even with the rest of its works) is an anime series is something I could rack my brain over for ages. Hopefully this isn’t too out there for this topic. This is far more ‘business’ related.

I guess to start off, am I the only one who find this a somewhat out of character move? The only other story I can think of that could fit this mold is planetarian, unless you want to also count HOLY BREAKER!, which I guess even Key is regarding as Key… Anyways- Key is in the process of, alongside VisualArt’s, heavily marketing Angel Beats! as what one could seemingly say is their flagship title for the next few years as they build it up- And yet, now they’ve stated that Charlotte is their future with Angel Beats! still in production and (as far as I’m concerned) with Charlotte going to be completed as Angel Beats! is… -still-… in production. It’s really interesting and you can basically view these two IPs as sisters. Both find their birth in anime with Maeda, NaGa and PA Works… Only this time it’s so much more planned with it being a Key project and with the future in sight.

I suppose counters to this is that perhaps Charlotte is much more than it appears to be. It almost looks to be a mascot of sorts for their 15th project, seeing as it’s on the front page of the ‘Key 15 Starter Book’, or whatever it’s called. It’s just very peculiar. Perhaps Key is looking into the idea of creating multimedia franchises from conception, unlike Angel Beats! which has changed and formed into a monster over the years- Charlotte is simply the beginning of a -planned- massive franchise, and an anime helps test the waters.

Another note, in marketing they even have Charlotte & Angel Beats! as the official twitter as if it’s a joint project. It’s just so… Different. And you know what? It’s -exciting-. I mean it’s really not so much AB! being the past and Charlotte being the future as much as it’s both of these titles sharing the spotlight. I don’t know about you guys, but Key looks /good/ right now. Almost as if out of nowhere this company just rose from this weird pile of silent ashes post-Rewrite and just started going hard as hell.

I still don’t really know what to truly think of it all, but I know I’m smiling. So that’s a good thing. I’ll post more about Charlotte specifically at a later date, but I just wanted to drop this in here.

3 Likes

@TRBO_188 I highly agree with you on that regarding PA Works. A lot of people (especially in anime forums) are quick to bash PA Works because they think that PA Works makes “shitty” anime. Well yes, they have made really bad ones coughglasslipcough because the story and the pacing was terrible. But PA Works makes gorgeous art, IMO. Since Jun Maeda is handling the story, I also believe that we will have a quality work delivered. The only thing that remains is that they get a decent director and we should be good to go!

@Bizkitdoh I like how Charlotte can be considered a mascotof their 15th anniversary. That was one point that they made on the pre-announcement announcement. I am really curious about the joint advertising, though. Were they just lazy, or is there more meaning? We can only find out once we have more info, I guess.

I, for one, am heavily excited for Charlotte. My heart is and will always be ready for a new Maeda story~

2 Likes

Hey new artwork (poster included in the C87 Key Set):

And this time, it has nothing to do with video cameras :wink:

7 Likes

I’m probably being silly, but those aren’t spider lilies, are they?

I don’t like slice-of-life or comedy, so a lot of PA’s stuff is lost on me, but they have some great stuff. Tari Tari is one of my favorites, and Nagi-Asu was enjoyable. The Prof. Layton animations are wondrous too. Shirobako is getting lots of praise too.

1 Like

Skirt lifting?
H-scenes confirmed!

2 Likes

I NEED THIS.
The theme of the stars with this is making me all doki doki. That poster is gorgeous.

2 Likes

I need it too :frowning: But it doesn’t justify me paying 5k yen for the key set

I’ll just hope they sell it at Gamers sometime in the future

5k yen? I’d do it. lol

DUDE you’ve seen the Planetarian anime too!? I though @LinkThinks and I were the only ones!

[quote=“Bizkitdoh, post:65, topic:728”]
Charlotte is simply the beginning of a -planned- massive franchise, and an anime helps test the waters.
[/quote]This is pretty much what I am assuming. I think it would be kinda weird for Key to release anime under their name without plans to produce a VN as well.

[quote=“Pepe, post:66, topic:728”]
But PA Works makes gorgeous art, IMO. Since Jun Maeda is handling the story, I also believe that we will have a quality work delivered.
[/quote] But interestingly enough, you could say the same thing about Angel Beats! and they STILL managed to mess it up.

So some speculation about the poster:

I think she’s sitting in water, isn’t she? Either that or by the water. And then theirs some shadow on her back, who knows what that could be. The flowers could have meaning or could just be for decoration. And lastly the huge light thats reflecting on the water at the top. Normally I’d guess the moon. But if you remember in the trailer, there one point at the end where you can see the comet/meteor in the window, and then it starts glowing and the whole screen fades to white. So I’m guessing that light is coming from that comet/meteor.

1 Like

And yet it still remained as an entertaining and heart warming anime. Sure, it was plagued with having a world that was simply too huge for the amount of screentime it was given, but that aside, I think it was a good watch.

Yes sorry I don’t think I explained the point I was trying to make. Indeed, I really enjoyed Angel Beats!. I would never say it was a bad anime. BUT I would never think 'Hmm, who do I want to produce an anime from my favorite writer and one of my favorite composers? I know! How about P.A. Works, one of my NOT-favorite studios." Now thats not to say it can’t be amazing. I think P.A. Works can do great art when they want to. I’m just not excited that they’re the ones doing it.

Yeah I guess I get your point. For me, it’d be like saying they’ll be making charlotte with KyoAni xP I’d be downright frustrated if they did that

Nope, not even close with spider lily.
Not a botanist myself, but let’s get guessing.

I think it’s more like a Poinsettia, if the red ones are not flower, but leaf.

"While considered by the ancient Aztecs to be symbols of purity, in today’s language of flowers, red, white or pink poinsettias, the December birth flower, symbolize good cheer and success and are said to bring wishes of mirth and celebration. "

If the red part is flower, it could be ornamental ginger, or Salvia firecrackers.

My issue with it being possibly a Poinsettia is that the far bottom left one is more monopodial where as a Poinsettia is sympodial. However- Some of those plants on the right appear as such. It’s hard to tell, they’re kind of all over the place, ie the one on the left looks like it has a budding flower at the top.

I asked my mom (who is a biologist) and she said without a second of hesitation that they are salvia.

Commonly referred to as sage, the name salvia comes from the Latin adjective salvus meaning “safe, well, unharmed, saved”

4 Likes