Charlotte - Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

Won’t be the first time desserts got involved in a Key title. Dangos anyone?

If we’re stretching it to much more ridiculous speculation, what if the girl is named Charlotte, and she is some kind of alien spy with code number 543 dispatched to Earth because a lot of bizarre reasons.

You’ve lost me.
I must now prepare for my monster post.

Come on, give a little more than just bizzare reasons. It’s a speculation discussion so anything goes. Heck if you told me the story of AB in 2008 I would of thought you were a guy trying to restart the Schutzstaffel and then I’d call you crazy cause no one wants a story like that with no real closure.
The point is we have no idea what they’ll do so feel free to throw some ideas out there and have fun doing it. You’re wild ideas are as good as ours.

2 Likes

Well then… the bizarre reasons, probably like the mothership crashed, the entire planet blew up, Earth is beyond saving (wait that’s Rewrite).

We have semi-ghost girls, dead people, and mother nature as characters, so why not alien… or cyborg… or time-traveler? Or time traveling alien cyborg?

1 Like

She wants to film a meteor shower, but why? Maybe a meteor is gonna hit Earth? But I still can’t find where the electricity fits in.

1 Like

In the song that plays you can hear what sounds like thunder in the beginning.
Lighting strike? #RampantSpeculation

I told you she’s an alien cyborg. Alien cyborg, incarnation of the goddess of the sky.

That reminds me of another anime that involved meteor showers and was written by the other writer of Kanon :stuck_out_tongue:

inb4 Charlotte is Noel

3 Likes

Lets just hope this one is.
Ya know.
Good.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t really think Key would name an IP after one of its characters, so personally I suspect it’s the name of the computer program she’s a part of. :stuck_out_tongue:
Or maybe it just is her name. Who knows? The minor planet thing was definitely a joke though, there’s no way that’d be related.

At this point in time, nobody knows for sure.

Well it is most likely set in Japan and she is most likely Japanese so she will most likely have a Japanese name, most likely

Otherwise, they would’ve made her hair color blonde or white :stuck_out_tongue:

But it is…?

It’s a bit more grey, though. Like, compared to Kud’s whose is a lot more white, I guess?

Loving the speculation guys. But try to avoid wild theories that have no supporting evidence, let’s try to reason this out with as much of a rational basis as possible.

This is definitely what we should be focusing on right now. Why is she filming a meteor shower? A school uniform + stargazing to me implies astronomy club, but wouldn’t a video camera be an odd piece of equipment for astronomy? A telescope would make more sense. So something like a film club or news club would make more sense for a video camera. It’s like she’s searching for something. I’m beginning to get Inoue vibes!

But based on @Essy’s translation, it seems to indicate that the boy and girl don’t associate with others much. The girl working alone on whatever it is she’s doing seems to make more sense than her being part of a club. Essy’s interpretation was that “Promise you’ll come back home” sounds like a warning from the girl’s parent, but I don’t think that’s true at all.

My theory at the moment is that the boy is some kind of extraterrestrial existence. They met once, but the boy had to leave the Earth. So the girl continues searching for his return with the meteor showers. There’s been this prevalent motif of a shooting star, so maybe the boy is connected to it? It makes sense to me. Though it does leave some questions open.

Why does she need a video recorder to find him? Is viewing the meteor showers something that needs to be recorded? It does seem odd. And what’s with the video camera pointing at herself in the art? Maybe the video camera holds some other meaning, maybe it’s more than just a camera. Maybe the boy is an existence that can only be viewed through the camera (and maybe the girl is someone invisible to the camera. An extraterrestrial camera?)

I dunno, this is all scattered thoughts at the moment. But the hunt for an answer is really fun! I’m actually glad they haven’t given us a detailed synopsis or anything yet, because this is really exciting.

The biggest evidence against this is that it betrays the idea of a male protagonist, which has ALWAYS been the case with Key’s stories. I’m not saying this can’t change, but it seems odd of them to suddenly tell a story through a female POV. If that does turn out to be the case, then I’m all for it!

4 Likes

Maybe the camera is the ONLY tool that is somehow modified so it can show specific things like meteor showers, or another surreal things - like ghosts etc.

Also about the recording the guy with the camera…
I have come with a theory based on what you all said, that she has lost some memories and cant remember anything. When she woke up from her unconsciousness, there was only a camera with a hint or a flash of memory that is telling her to find someone (the boy) via it. (but this theory doesnt really match Key’s story characteristics… so dont hate me too much plz)

Actually, you may be on to something. Camcorders go hand in hand with memory loss; recording things you’ll forget so your future self can remember them.

At any rate, there’s only two reasons to use a camcorder: to remember something, or to pass on a message to someone else. If she’s recording herself, it makes me think that she’s either trying to tell herself something, or trying to tell someone else something. Though, it could go back to the supernatural interpretation that she’s trying to verify her own existence through real technology.

We’re either going down the Inoue route or the Mio route here.

1 Like

Did Maeda watch Ano Natsu de Matteru…

1 Like

I think I’ll have to disagree with you on this.

Sure, the girl is holding the video camera in Dengeki G’s cover, but that doesn’t imply that she is specifically trying to record the meteor shower. My theory is that the anime starts with the guy getting the girl to join by recording the stars. I think that the image of the girl is generally serious, and one that would not take a recording of the stars of her own accord. Thus, the male protag successfully gets her to join in on recording and something happens. This may explain why she is holding a camera because she is joining in on the boy’s goals.

Once that something happens, the boy realizes something about the girl and drama ensues. Honestly, I might be the only one still following the general Key format of the male being the protag and the drama centered around the female because I simply can’t get over the fact that the camcorder is pointing to her but shows the stars

Yeah this, something like, Sharoto.
nod nod

1 Like