Charlotte - General Discussion

Yeah, forget can about that, focus on the others. BUT… it may mean rascal as an adjective, and it is a french word (origins) just like Charlotte, there may be a connection.

UPDATE: while browsing the forum, I’ve just found a capture that reminded me that a Yahoo-like search engine is shown with the name Rascal.

But ok, it may mean nothing. focus on all the other words, I really believe they contains lots of hints. Example Time lapse Complexity is coming, sounds good!

Maeda seems to put messages now, time to find the piece of the puzzle. Maybe he found a way to tell more that he could “say” in a 20 minutes show with those hidden hints/information.

Anyway, I still sustain my petit theory of fallen angels and projections of their minds in human bodies… but only time will tell.

Now I’m trying to figure out what is that leaf-like thing… (See my previous starry post).

Good point. It may be nothing… but today she gave more importance to her camera than herself. It may be just a little joke, but gadgets may mean something indeed.

AIR spoilers
The other day I was watching the AIR movie, for good or bad. Anyway, there’s a scene that made me think instantly in Charlotte. I believe after the kiss, I can’t remember when, but at some point Misuzu looks like a comet. I was dreaming of a crossover, but it is just daydreaming. Right? Right? :slight_smile:
Imagine, an epilogue or something related to AIR… Angels…

Oh, this is the image that one fan captured…

I believe there’s something behind his ear. By the way: Charlotte is touching her ear while watching that “leaf” or “feather”.

I know, this may be a huge speculation. “Illuminati confirmed” LOL… BUT there’s certainly something important around those ideas/images.

Oh we shouldn’t forget about electricity/rays… the will appear at some point.

1 Like

I currently have that image as my wallpaper and I always notice that leaf-like thing in the background. No idea if it’ll be important but it does seem pretty awkward, yeah

1 Like

looks like Fuuko to me, lol

Her name isn’t Charlotte.

So far, your’re right. No, it isn’t. It is the name of the anime, that is. Thanks @Kanon. I’ve expressed incorrectly there. But I’m sure it has some meaning, like in Kanon or Clannad…

Anyway, this speculation is just a coincidence, the scene where the word appears in the OP has a big C on top of the word… but it was an interesting one, I guess.-

Charlotte means “Free”, I was researching for the name meaning the other night and historical references.
Kanon is based on Pachelbel’s composition, Clannad on the Irish band (among other meanings)…

Jun likes to use musical-related meanings for his stories. Maybe we should look for something music-related? I’ll keep researching, just for fun. For now, the meaning of the name “free” has sense.

Also, there’s a comet (543) Charlotte.

There’s a big difference between a comet and a minor planet. Charlotte isn’t a comet in real life, but there’s nothing that doesn’t mean it’s a comet in the Charlotte universe.

1 Like

Indeed, I’m just just almost blindly guessing. My bet is that the name of the anime may be something musical-related. But I couldn’t avoid the fact that (sometimes) it is called comet, sometimes called planetoid (which is the correct way of putting it AFAIK).

You know, when I’ve read on the Wikipedia I was dissapointed if this was a story-mistake. There’re many references to it as a comet; like in some Wikipedia pages “543 Charlotte è un asteroide”, and in other pages says comet… but then, it’s OK.

It may be a mistake, and they don’t really care about it, because it’s an artistic liberty. Since it feels from a telescope POV like a comet. (for example, it shines -reflects light- and has a orbital period).

By the way, I was comparing the great wallpaper with the leaf. If illuminated correctly… it may be…
but I’m not convinced either yet.

credits for the 3D model of the planetoid: Wikipedia.

The interesting part for me is the 4 sided polygon, it does look quite similar.

That’s situational really, especially from the perspective of someone looking through a telescope.

1 Like

note: I’ve posted this in a wrong thread, now I’ve deleted it and moved it here…

@Takafumi Yes, that’s what they say… but, this is interesting so far, isn’t it?

In my humble opinion they’re going to dive deep into those almost-subliminal games, in order to hide in plain sight information. I wonder how far they’ll go with all this.

Sounds fun, for an anime.

Maeda et all do this same thing, but with words, in their visual novels, as we all know very well. Many symbols in the form of a bird, a gesture, a place… but they use words mainly.

Now, they have selected this way to achieve the same effect, symbolism, in hidden information but in a way that fits into an anime (which is mostly visual and they have only 20 minutes to tell us side-information).

By the way… I am having fun with a laptop, under the trees in a forest nearby my house, in a glorious sunny Sunday. fresh air and relaxing with this game. I just need some music.
And… I’ll keep looking for hints, like a mad scientist… :slight_smile:

75% will be wrong, but I think we’ll keep find out fun (or interesting) stuff.

The Yin-Yang-like symbol appears quite a bit in the episodes. And the two circles too… Logo? Indication for dangerous places or signs of some kind? I don’t know yet. I bet the constellations has to do with each character’s true origin or something along those lines.

Sorry for the typos!

2 Likes

Here are some of the japanese words in the op :
天体観測
オムライス
特殊能力=病気
おまじない
長周期彗星

クリームシチュー

2 Likes

Thank you @Zak89 , my Japanese isn’t good enough yet.

• Long period comet, this may confirm that the real world “Charlotte” has influenced a bit.

• And this kanji is mysterious:
    Paste the kanji to this site And if it is correct, it may mean devil. (?)

Well, it is more than obvious that many words used in the anime sounds like “hell”… The series may talk about hell (as a metaphore maybe), or a real hell of some kind.

Our main characters may be angels / fallen angels after all. O_O

“However, many years later, statistical evidence, uncovered and published by other parapsychologists in the field”
5 Likes

Haha! A wikipedia article in her hair.

Well, our MAD SCIENTISTS™ are researching parapsychology, so the connection should be obvious.

2 Likes

I re-watched Charlotte’s OP and found this. Future villains, perhaps?

1 Like

Hinata, Otonashi, Yukito, Sunohara, Iwasawa.

7 Likes

Wow… you just sparked something huge in my head (no pun intended).

Obviously (unless this is just some huge plot hole) the powers are not contained or produced in their bodies, otherwise Misa would not still have her power. So then the only other alternative is… its all in their heads. Not their physical brains, but their psychology. Basically, their powers come about because they think them up.

Im getting excited by how perfectly this fits as Im typing this. Think about it. Yuu says that all his life he’s wondered why he’s not someone else, and then suddenly he can literally become someone else. Nao, who wanted nothing but to be alone, out of the sight of the prying eyes of the scientists, can suddenly become invisible. Nao’s brother, who desires to create amazing music so he can make money for his poor family, can suddenly make perfect music without even having an instrument.

Now as to why all of their powers are imperfect. I actually am currently reading an LN called Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (freaking amazing, btw), which allowed me to immediately see a reasoning for this: (I apologize in advance to all the people who won’t be able to read this part, but honestly you should just go read Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria right now anyway. It is that good.)

In Utsuro no Hako, there are boxes that have the power to grant literally any wish. However, the results of these wishes are almost always flawed, not because the box does not have the power to grant them completely, but because the wisher does not completely, 100% believe with all their heart and mind that their wish could possibly be granted by the box.

Thus, in Charlotte, their powers are incomplete because they do not completely believe that their “wish” (e.g. to be someone else, to be invisible) could possibly be granted. To even more from Utsuro no Hako, it is possible that the specific flaws of their powers are directly related to the imperfection of the wish. For example, lets hypothetically say Joujirou wanted to be able to teleport so he could escape from something. Thus, it makes perfect sense that he wouldnt be able to control where he stops, as his only objective was to get away.

There are also the several mentions of psychology in the on-screen words in the OP. Not only several mentions of parapsychology, but also some of those document file things say things like “phychological.” And remember: “It is a disease.” from the PV. Psychological disease?

And holy shit, just found something new: “the phenomena go away when skeptical ‘vibrations’ are present.” OF COURSE. (Same spoiler from above) Its like The Polar Express. The powers disappear when they grow up because they no longer believe at all.

Also, Charlotte is either almost certainly the name of the comet, or the name of the project of which all the documentation “were enclosed in envelopes.” Or both.

5 Likes

That’s actually pretty good, and I don’t see any flaws in that theory so far; of course, we might learn more as we go, but for now, it fits very very well.

That also raises a bunch of questions, though, especially how they go about receiving these powers in the first place. Well, I can only hope that we are given some sort of explanation in the future. It also makes me wonder whether one can change their powers by changing their own thoughts.

Right now, Charlotte is kind of a mixed bag for me right now.

I can say right now that the characters introduced right now are pretty interesting and awesome so far (Yusa is my favorite! :3) . But the story so far isn’t really that interesting as the other stuff Key has made. But hey, only three episodes has only aired so far so I can’t really give it that much negative criticism yet, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I know that they mostly right now are spending time introducing characters but i cant wait until more interesting stuff in the story happens.

(apperently i like to say the word “interesting” alot…)

How Low Hello’s Real reminds me so much of Flaming June’s Hifukiyama no Mahoutsukai.

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Charlotte Fanart