Charlotte - General Discussion

So, I got to listen to the ending of episode 3 and it is just so beautiful.

I stayed up for the Animax Asia simulcast/same day as Japan broadcast of Episode 3, only to find out when it turned on…

It’s subbed in Indonesian here. Damnit. Guess I’ll have to wait for an English sub tomorrow.

Starting to really wonder what the purpose of the camcorder is. Nao takes it with her everytime they go out on ‘student council business’, right? Perhaps it’s tied to Mr(s). Trustworthy.

I’m starting to think that as well. She seems to value it pretty highly, so it might have a greater purpose than just proof to threaten others

It reminds me alot of some phrase or saying or something that goes along the lines of “A camera sees what you cannot”. In some ways doesn’t a camera ‘defeat’ alot of powers singlehandedly? Turning invisible doesn’t work against a camera, neither will super speed (depending on how fast it is). Considering Yu’s previous “Am I me?” it could just be her way of making sure she can deal with herself.

1 Like

So where does she leave the camcorder when she is not with her camcorder?

And we get another how low hello 's song !

2 Likes

Episode 4 PV:

https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1437400052761.webm

Yep, more baseball. I wonder what made Maeda so obsessed with baseball…

Because baseball is an important part of youth!

SEISHUN TTE
NANIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Am I the only one who thinks Yusa’s voice slightly changes in this song? Makes me think Misa suddenly takes over her body while she’s on stage, heh.

1 Like

There are tons of words in English and symbols in this anime. Lets find out the meaning.

So far the word Teleport is clearly visible in many frames.
The are many frames displaying a neuronal network (brain cells), and then circles with those same networks but in large scale, inside a circle.

This series may be about mind. Consciousness. Empathy at an extreme level. And I believe the danger of the power is the collapse of their minds (word mentioned several times).
Too many hints, powers and minds, “posession” of minds in another body.

I’ll keep researching, fun game. I invite you guy to find more, not only in the OP but in many scenes of the series. Like the name of the cafe “Starbucks” changed into something related to stars, Sagitarious in Key Cafe, and so on…

Words so far:
Teleport, Collapse, Transmision, the name of the song, Telepathy, Zhiend, “Unkown Particl(e)”, Envelope is mentioned several times (including in a newspaper-like sheet in the OP), Comet, …“major problem… experiment”…, Geo and -behind- a circle that is actually a 3D world scheme (so it looks like).

The play a lot with circles.
And we have many other circles in the anime: the lenses of the camera(s), and the eye of our co-MC.
Also Charlotte is “dancing” above one of those circles.

Is this about: Mental collapse? Consciousness? (See ep.2 “posession”), Lenses/Eyes (Observation/Monitoring).

"…me leap" (Time leap?)

There are a lot of circles and articles that looks like scientific researches or newspapers.

And Charlotte/Harlot

One definition of: harlot
adj
2. of or like a harlot
[from Old French herlot rascal, of obscure origin]

Harlot word is also a french word, Charlotte is a French name I think. But this may be nothing. Time will tell.

Finally, there’s a scene of a person, with lots of circles coming from his mind, and the word Telepathy appears in the happy part of the OP.

Add more please… if you find something.

Handy screencaps: Screencaps

Thanks a lot to @KingPoro for finding those screencaps!

I think this one is pushing it a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

The other messages don’t really seem to be out of place though. Just looking at them without connecting them just shows them referring to the powers and whatnot.

Putting them altogether is a lot more difficult. In just the OP at least, it does seem to point to some “entity” that can view these scenes somehow; is it telepathy? Is it something else? ARE ALL OF US VIEWERS JUST WATCHING FROM THE EYES OF ANOTHER CHARACTER???

It’s definitely too early to tell :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Indeed, Harlot is a loooong shot :slight_smile:

But, the others makes perfect sense like you said… Maybe the watchers are the stars? Constellations? Hard to say, but I was thinking about that since the very first time I watched the OP.

This has to be a Big Brother thing. Cameras, eyes are important. Consciousness and telepathy.

…This will make our brain “collapse” is that it seems that time travel of some kind is involved… Jun Maeda will be smiling when we’ll end up scratching our heads.

Complexity is coming… all aboard!

1 Like

Episode 2 uses comet tail effect for text transition

While Episode 3 uses water ripple effect for text transition

I don’t know whether it just an art, or there actually exists some meaning

4 Likes

Nice catch @waza ! Yeah, I’ve felt that the OP will be changing (like some recent VN) as you play/watch.

It looks like the bubble from the person in the OP. But also it seems to be a lense distorions. Time-Space distorsion? Ripples? hmm…

Petit theory: They are all fallen angels, each of them have a star protecting them (maybe they are those comets) and the came from several constellations. They are “projections” of their true self.

Scientists wants to understand their power, and maybe they are still doing it but in a subtle way?.

Pretty surprised there is no mention of “Shooting Star Coffee”. Btw, who is that girl in the logo?

Perhaps, i think about water ripple because of this scene

1 Like

Oh yes @waza , that was my first surprise (since I love SB) :smiley:

The city is indeed plenty of names related to the sky… (aka Heaven?)

And yes, water may have a meaning. We have now a character that his power only functions if he is wet.

Ah sorry @zetaFairlight, that was my bad, i skimmed the entire thread and didn’t notice you have said that above :frowning:

No problem! Thanks for sharing those caps. I’m “studying” them right now. :slight_smile:

update: I was thinking… the water scene represents a reflection, “as above, so below”. And that creates a ripple (the contact). Maybe they are indeed fallen angels or something along those lines.

Also…

More speculation: The image shows a leaf-like thing that I think it’s also on the OP scene where our male MC is inside the hair of someone… and he has that shape (gotta check again) behind the ear.

The first time I’ve saw it, before watching this picture I said to myself: “hmmmm… nah…”. But now that I look at this, it makes me think again that there’s some kind of implant or device, something inside their minds?

Wait, whaaaat? Call someone a harlot in the UK and you’ll get a slap.

Looks like Kotori or long-haired Kagari.

How about gadgets? Do they give additional meaning in this anime?

Tomori has a music player. I have a difficulty what her phone is. Moreover, obviously, she has a camcorder that she always bring wherever she is. I wonder what would she like if she lost her camcorder.

Jōjirō has an Android Phone, with How-Low-Hello as its current wallpaper

Yū phone is an iPhone.

2 Likes