Charlotte - General Discussion

I dont quite get why they just dont put those at the end of the episodes.

1 Like

More than half of the anime I watched last season removed all instances of next episode previews. I quite miss them :frowning:

So we finally get a first sample of ZHIENDā€™s song

4 Likes

I like the instrumental parts but Iā€™m not quite sure where sheā€™s singing English and where itā€™s Japanese. Maybe itā€™s only me, thatā€™s a problem I often have with Japanese music.

This happened as well! Uploaded by VisualArtā€™s themselves this time.

3 Likes

The How-Low-Hello single is ā€œSinger Daysā€ and I think the song conveys this story
Rough translation and guessing:

About two person chasing the same dream, but only one (the singer) able to have the wish granted. Then the chorus filled with regret, about the singer wanting to meet the other one again, about how the singer want to say love, about the singer wanting to redo the past over again. and so onā€¦

While the ZHIEND one, well I canā€™t really tell the lyrics. I think itā€™s fully Engrish?

2 Likes

Probably to maximize how much content they can fit in the timeslot.

I donā€™t understand anything outside the main pieces, making it pretty much my experience with 90% of post rock bands because it doesnā€™t really matter, itā€™s just supposed to sound good. Itā€™s weird because the parts I do understand are actually pretty well handled. She has an accent but itā€™s not bad. I can pretty much confirm though that once thereā€™s a lyrics release youā€™ll hear them bright as day. Itā€™s always like that.

This might be a little early and we donā€™t have many clues to go by, since weā€™ve only seen two episodes as of yet, but letā€™s try it anyway: Letā€™s try to talk about what the central topic of Charlotte might be.

Note: spoiler-tagged lines are related to information from episode 2.

Letā€™s gather whatever clues we have right now.
The most outstanding thing for now are the superpowers.

• Thereā€™s a ā€œspecial timeā€ when youā€™re young, when you can do things
    nobody else can. You have a ā€œspecial powerā€ until you grow up
  • you are tempted to use or even abuse your special power for your own
    gain
  • but that power makes you exploitable
  • in fact, EVERYONE (or letā€™s say most grown-ups?) wants to exploit you. Thereā€™s enemies everywhere

• basically, you can only trust children who are like you

• while thereā€™s also children who work for the enemies that you shouldnā€™t trust

• those enemies will recklessly abuse you while they can, but throw you away when youā€™re broken and your ā€œspecial powerā€ is gone

After talking to a friend about various speculations regarding charlotte, I have reached the following conclusion regarding what the central topic of Charlotte:

Itā€™s probably about talented children.

Letā€™s say thereā€™s this child thatā€™s extremely good at singing. The child gets praised for its singing by parents, friends, teachers and neighbors. So it continues to sing to get more praise and increase its popularity. One day, the child gets scouted - it catches the interest of people who can convert the childā€™s talent into money. Baited by the money, even the childā€™s parents can grow weak and betray it, basically selling it into slavery. Or maybe they arenā€™t even aware of the dangers.
The abuse begins. The child gets turned into an idol and works its ass off. Thereā€™s concerts, photoshootings, commercials, appearances on radio and TV. Itā€™s all super taxing on the child and thereā€™s never-ending pressure and stress. But the child needs to be squeezed for more money. Scandals happen to promote the child even more, ruining its social life and mental well-being.
By the time the child grows up, itā€™s burnt out. A life of stress and pressure leaves its marks on it. Itā€™s burnt out and tired. At this point, everyone abandons the child. Why? Because it lost its ā€œspecial powerā€. Being a talented singer as a child is a big deal, but a talented grown-up singer is nothing special. Thereā€™s plenty of competition. Itā€™s way more lucrative for the agency to look for a different talented child.

Iā€™d be happy if the book club took a closer look at this theory ^^

5 Likes

Reading that theory just made me say ā€œwowā€ out loud.

That means I think itā€™s pretty good~

As I said a few times, itā€™s my personal hope that they look into the stress that comes with having powers, and the sort of inner conflict that characters can have because of these powers; that said I think it can also fit into your theory pretty well.

On a more realistic analogy, a talented singer could think ā€œthey just like me for my singing, but after that, Iā€™m all alone in this worldā€ sort of thing, which I find pretty interesting.

SIDENOTE: Wet guy has a name now! http://charlotte-anime.jp/character/#/kumagami
Kumagami, eh

1 Like

Incoming fanart of him stood in the middle of a field with bears praying around him.

1 Like

I think this theme is just too limited, and I donā€™t think most of the audience would identify with it. I think is something broader like ā€˜youthā€™ and its ephemeral nature, not talented children. At least I myself wouldnā€™t be interested in a story whose theme was this one.

Personally, I think Jun Maeda explores great themes. Miracles, promises, maternal bonds, dreams, family, growing up, life. All of those are very broad and thereā€™s a lot to tell about them. I donā€™t think ā€˜talented childrenā€™ as a theme would have much worth telling or exploring to begin with.

Kinda? Except when I throw in the very specific criticisms Maeda had in Angel Beats whereby he was straight up attacking the way education works in Japan? ā€˜talented childrenā€™ is no more ā€˜limitedā€™ or weaker than that. Themes are powerful. Thereā€™s alot you can do with them. I wouldnā€™t throw out accusations like that, even if it was a theme Iā€™m all together done with.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this counts as a theme. Every fictional work represents the visions of the ones who created it. Themes are just the central ideas, however there are other concepts present throughout every work that show us the creatorsā€™ point-of-view about something. This is AB!'s case probably. If the same happens in Charlotte with the ā€˜talented childrenā€™ thing as a concept, Iā€™m fine. I just donā€™t think it works as a central themes.

[quote=ā€œAegair, post:33, topic:1313, full:trueā€]talented childrenā€™ is no more ā€˜limitedā€™ or weaker than that. Themes are powerful.
[/quote]

Themes are powerful because they can reach people broadly. Sure, ā€˜talented childrenā€™ can change some peopleā€™s point-of-views, but it wonā€™t be very well assimilated by most of the audience. And I doubt Maeda would want that, since he expressed previously his desire of the players understanding his work.

[quote=ā€œAegair, post:33, topic:1313, full:trueā€] I wouldnā€™t throw out accusations like that, even if it was a theme Iā€™m all together done with.
[/quote]

Iā€™m not accusing anyone, since we donā€™t even know the theme yet. Just saying that I donā€™t think it would be a good choice for a theme.

I think we might be disagreeing on something a lil too fundamental here. The themes and ideas encapsulated by a work are not limited by just the visions of the ones who created said work. Works generally operate on an interaction between itā€™s ā€˜readerā€™ as well as itā€™s ā€˜creatorā€™. This means many many things but a few of those are: Something the creator intended to be in a work, might not exist when a certain reader reads it. Something the creator did not intend to put into a work might exist when a reader reads it. These themselves have many more connotationsā€¦

But I guess the best response I can really give to what youā€™re saying is that Charlotte might have this theme of ā€˜talented childrenā€™ in it, even if you disagree that ā€˜themeā€™ is the right word or whatever, ragardless of whether itā€™s the central theme that Maeda intended to put into the work. Limiting yourself to what a creator says their work is about isā€¦ really limited and reductionist thinking ^^;

Through a fictional work, the creators are expressing their world view everywhere. Of course, every reader can understand it in a different way, but itā€™s a form of communication.

And Iā€™m not talking just about intentions here. Even if the creators arenā€™t intending to put something there, they can subconsciously put it there. Itā€™s how they see the world. Everyone sees it in a different way, so when something in there is different from the way you understand the world, you can see it as a message, even when the author didnā€™t intend to do so.

A fictional work is a way for the author(s) to communicate with its viewers/readers. Even when it can mean different things for different people.

Now letā€™s go to Charlotte and the talented people thing. When you watch an anime, youā€™re connecting with it in a lot of ways, youā€™re identifying yourself with it. If that connection is very tiny, you probably wonā€™t like it. If that connection is big, however, you will like it. ā€˜Talented peopleā€™ as a central theme would be hard for most people to establish a connection, as opposed to family or growing up. Those are things most people can connect. So, here I use your point. The viewers can and probably will see it in a different way from the creators. This happens to the other themes as well, but in a much smaller scale than it would happen to this one. This is what Maeda doesnā€™t want. He is aware people can understand his stories in different ways, however, he wants them to feel as close as possible to what he felt and understood when writing them. I dunno how Na-ga and the other staff feel about this, but probably the same. Be aware that not just Maedaā€™s ideas are there, but the whole staffā€™s point of views are present in Charlotte as well.

Thereā€™s a blog article I liked very much about this: http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/09/08/your-taste-is-bad-and-so-are-you/ You should check it out :wink:

1 Like

This is a wonderful response. Itā€™s nice that we donā€™t disagree fundamentally on how fiction works. :slight_smile: (Also Nickā€™s articles and essays are always wonderful)

I think instead maybe weā€™re just disagreeing on how ā€˜talented peopleā€™ is a small theme. Have you seen Sakurasou? Or maybe Ping Pong the animation would work though I havenā€™t finished it myself. Either way, thereā€™s actually a lot less going on here than I guess it seems. Really I think youā€™re just saying that ā€˜talented peopleā€™ isnā€™t the central theme like you could say ā€˜familyā€™ is to Clannad, ā€˜adolescenceā€™ is to Little Busters,etc. Which I agree with? I just found dismissal of that theme entirely to be a bit lacking is all.

1 Like

Yep, this is what I meant. And no, I havenā€™t seen those animes. (Sakurasou and Ping Pong)

But if it was just people as you say ā€˜talented peopleā€™, then I think it would be much more appropriate and less limited, as opposed to 'talented children ', and it could work as a central theme. Thereā€™s a lot to be said and itā€™s easier to identify with ā€˜talentsā€™ as a whole, like in ā€˜talented peopleā€™, as this includes everyone. However, the same canā€™t be said about ā€˜talented childrenā€™.

I dunno about that. Thereā€™s alot about adolescence, puberty and talent that can be explored. Again, not too sold on it myself, more defending it as a standpoint that isnā€™t justā€¦ wrong? Those previous anime I mentioned do it quite a bit, in fact itā€™s the central part of Sakurasou. (And I also believe itā€™s the central theme of Ping Pong but I could be mistaken on that.)

Hmā€¦ Letā€™s just modus vivendi hereā€¦ But, thinking about it, maybeā€¦ Itā€™s just that the way Naoki put it made it feel like thatā€¦ If it was like childrenā€™s developing their talents as they are afraid of the uncertain future that awaits them and relying on those talents as their hopes, it could be cool thoughā€¦ Letā€™s just wait and see.

1 Like