Charlotte - Episode 1 "I Think About Others"

“It’s a sleeping desease! I suddenly get tremendously sleepy, and can’t fight that urge!”

I see what you did there ^^
Nice LB reference

7 Likes

Well I hate it because it’s a very despicable thing to do :stuck_out_tongue: Sure, for all practicality’s sake, it’s a good idea but… That is totally unethical. For one, he could have killed the goddamn bus driver!

Checked out the episode again and something struck me as quite… odd. When the student council president of Ki no Mori asked Yuu to retake the exam, I think we can pretty much figure out that Nao was in the room the whole time. In that case, I find it quite odd that the president thought it was normal that Nao was crouched down beside Yuu’s seat, all while Yuu was oblivious to her.

It seems pretty heavily implied that Nao was the one who tipped him off to Yuu’s suspected cheating, so he would probably already know her… But being able to find it normal that Yuu isn’t fazed by Nao’s presence is just odd. He may either know about her power, or has high trust in her ability to “hide” from Yuu despite being right in front of him.

Since we’re all done with Ki no Mori, I doubt this’ll be something they bring up in the next episodes :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t go that far. Her attitude definitely changed a lot at the end of the episode, but I would say it’s like she’s seen through Yuu. Or more like, someone convinced her off-screen that Yuu is actually a bad guy. She remained respectful, but her gaze was quite harsh.
Well, the “Run! Right now!” stunt may have been part of the reason. Yuu has shown his true colors in a shocking way there, after all. But again, I doubt that this much was enough to blow away the rose-colored glasses of a school girl. Someone from the outside probably got involved in some way.

1 Like

Regarding Yumi, I just really think that she doesn’t want to take any bullshit from him. I don’t think there’s are any external forces affecting her decision, and I guess she just realized that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.

Either way, I was just happy to hear the angry Mai Nakahara voice~ Reminds me of drunken Nagisa :wink:

2 Likes

I liked it however it could have been better I just feel like there was something missing. Artwork great as ever and president is a bit cold like they said and main character is a cocky bastard like promised not to mention takumatsu 2.0 (moved beyond stripping now he insta changes) I can’t put my finger on what’s missing so I’ll give it a 4 Good but not great.

:Edit:

@Naoki_Saten Not to mention he basically pulled her to the ground and left screaming damnit not at all a white knight she pictured him as. Then basicly telling her she had to meet him if she wanted to be together and that he wouldn’t come see her by himself. Making him sound like he was a criminal under constant supervision. Didn’t help the fact that he wouldn’t tell her why. So ya she was sick of the bullshit.

Uh, now that I think about it… It does seem that Hoshinoumi and Kinomori are located pretty far apart (according to the “break up” scene). So, how does Hoshinoumi student council could get info, or even suspect a power user in a place that far? Someone would’ve reported him to them, but who…? And how could they even know that Yuu is a power user? Is the mysterious person in the OP actually related to both Yuu and Nao? And what about ZHIEND which we hardly have the information about (but had already mentioned pretty early before airing)? So many questions. It’s okay it’s just the first episoddd

And regarding my theory (wild guess) about a power user who might have the ability to erase or alter memories. Nao mentioned that over time, power user will eventually lose their power as they grow to adulthood. So, is it possible that the power user who altered/erased Yuu and Ayumi’s memory about the missing “brother” might have lost their power, which is why Ayumi and Yuu’s gradually remembering the missing “brother” through a dream?

1 Like

Nao had been following him around with the camera, recording the proof that he was a power user. And the government or whatever seems to know about and be restraining these power users (remember, Yuu said he could no longer leave and go to Kinomori because they were restricting him). They probably just use the student council to go and collect the power users.

Oooookay, not I expected. Keep in mind that all I knew prior to watching this was that the title of the show was “Charlotte”, and there was a girl with a camera that looked cute. That’s it, I tried to keep free from any promo stuff.

So far, I really like what I see. The whole limited powers thing kinda piques my interest a little (I’m a sucker for shows with super human abilities) and knowing Jun Maeda is leading this makes me excited about what’s to come. Of course, since this is key, I expect some “dark twist” or at least something to poke my feels and it looks like it’ll have something to do with that end scene. Aside from that I don’t really know what else to say about the episode as a whole. It kind of flew by really fast (definitely need another watch).

Now onto Otosaka Yuu, who both looks like and sounds like (given the same VA I guess), the MC of Amaburi and having the same arrogance, but where Kanie was good at heart and never abused his abilities, this guy is abusing it any chance he gets! Which is refreshing as with these kind of premise, it’s always “The MC has heart of gold and would never abuse what he has”. This sets a good baseline for this character to grow… at the very least past this arrogance.

Anyways, the episode left a lot to imagination, and there’s so many directions they could take from this first episode so I’m excited! This whole “Why am I the only me and not anyone else” line also raises some questions. Is there a possibility that by “diving” so much, he might lose himself at some point? I’m just rambling at this point but for a first episode I felt it did a great job. It introduced the characters, the premise and piqued my interest, and while it felt unnatural at times (I feel like I’m jaded when I complain about characters info dumping in dialogue), it was a satisfying watch.

Random thoughts:

• Kanie Seiya clone was my immediate first though ^^;
  • Won’t lie, Yuu used his power as rashly as I probably would in his situation…
  • Girl with camera is cute~
  • Powers only during adolescence… is this a metaphor for Chuunibyou? o_O
  • Since watching Shokugeki no Souma, food in other anime doesn’t really match up… dat omurice looking hella fake…
  • Also since watching Shokugeki no Souma, I keep expecting some ridiculous scene to happen whenever someone takes a bite of something.
  • I thought the little sister was cute, but as it went on the irritation started to seep in.
5 Likes

I wonder if they are going to work on improving their abilities, since all of them have flaws. Nao can only disappear for one person, Yuu can only possess people for three seconds… Maybe their abilities will be developed as they grow up, until they disappear…

The brother might not even be gone. He might have a power that erases him, both in memories, and in sight. There’s a place for him in the house.

If u look closer, even her stance changed! ( I’m still thinking she was kind of poseessed, or al least there was some one else behind her sudden actitude change)

First episode was great. The Main Character is a total jerk, but it leaves a lot of room for character growth, which I like. Little sis is a bit annoying, but she might grow on me. I love Nao just about as much as I thought I would, and I’m looking forward to seeing if she opens up a bit over the course of the show. Joujirou’s power is pretty cool, and I’m sure he’s going to move beyond his role of being Nao’s “enforcer.”

Overall, not a lot of development yet, but I’m definitely curious about where things are going.

1 Like

A bit of a side thought, but I’m loving all the reactions from everyone! Charlotte is amazing so far, and I’m glad to know that so many other people think similarly! I’m gonna enjoy talking about this series as we go along, thanks to everyone here~

That raises a good point; what if they all lose something when they use their powers. Well, it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve heard about that sort of thing

I have quite a bit more to talk about regarding their powers and regarding their school, but I’m gonna have to save a few things for the podcast (and most of it is speculation as well), so I’d hope y’all would take a listen to it~

1 Like

The more I watch them, the more I feel like the first 45 seconds of the episode are incredibly important. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it seems almost as if they give us not only an important insight into Yuu, but also quite possibly the cause of what creates the powers in the first place.

1 Like

Hey, has anyone here watched HEROES? Is the 1st season really similar to Charlotte, as Maeda said it would be?

It’s a bit similar. IIRC, one of the first scenes of Heroes was a Japanese salaryman who was staring at a clock which suddenly stopped when he was thinking about it; which made him realize he had powers

2 Likes

Umm, I cant really tell yet, because we’ve only seen one episode of Charlotte. I mean, HEROES was about (mostly) adults, so the first episode of Charlotte being mostly about high school and student council wasnt really the same.

(Spoilers for HEROES + speculation for Charlotte)There was an organization called The Company in HEROES which basically sent out one employee and one power user in pairs to go track down other power users, keep watch over them, and sometimes bring them back (especially if they’re dangerous) and kinda research them.

So that might be similar to how the student council goes out and finds the power users (like Yuu) and then bring them back to the school and stuff. And similar to that key visual in which the two people seem to be in a prison

If I think about it, HEROES is actually maybe more similar to Hamatora, minus all the detective stuff.

But yeah, you should go watch HEROES, its pretty great. At least the first season was.

3 Likes

It has similarities, but it’s clearly just inspiration. Yuu is already aware of his powers, however most of the HEROES cast found their powers during the series. There are some characters who could fit with Charlotte though:

That’s Hiro. He was one of the fan favorites. He’s the Nice of the series. He noticed the hand on a clock stop for a split second when he was concentrating, and kept trying to recreate it until he found his powers. Hiro is your excitable protagonist who gets introduced into a new world. He likes comics, and is really the only guy who is happy to have superpowers in the show.

The main protagonist is a guy named Peter. He’s the little brother and the lesser brother. Peter dreams that he can fly, and in a desperate attempt to prove that he has something his brother doesn’t, he jumps off a roof. Weird guy. Of course, he eventually begins to shine as an individual. This guy could be the inspiration behind the Yuu we see behind the arrogant smirk

There’s a cop named Mark who uses his mind reading powers to fight crime, and the guy he’s after, a serial killer who targets those with superpowers.

Behind it all is Noah, an employee of the company. These guys have a dark and mysterious past, and a guy who can block powers. They monitor stuff and control stuff. Super stuff.

I assume the HEROES comparison is in relation to the superpowers and the organization behind the scenes.

Hamatora was a lighthearted spin on it, but they were similar at points, especially if you look at season 3. It had the X-Men systems in place too though.

It’s 17th episode is fabled as one of the best episodes to air on TV in years.

So, I just finished the episode earlier today. Gotta say I believe it’s lived up to the hype so far. The pace they’ve seem to set (from just the first episode alone being judged, mind you) seems reasonable to my tastes. I enjoy what I’ve seen of the characters, and will definitely enjoy seeing Yuu develop into a relatively reasonable human being. Maybe. Or maybe he’ll just stay an arrogant jerk. We’ll see. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m looking forward to seeing more. Especially of Takajo. Seems like a pretty funny guy.

I think Charlotte has a great potential. I really like the selection of voice actors and the first episode was slightly better than I expected, so I’m carefully optimistic.