Best Key Opening!

Yeah, It is fun and OK :). I really enjoy, because I get to know everybody’s POV (at least to some degree). And I try to see through their eyes and understand more. It is fun.
Planetarian has that piano in the intro, that gives me chills all the time, yes it is the menu. But I consider that part of the OP. That and a few scenes later.

I was watching Charlotte’s ED the other day in crunchyroll with a female teenager, and I’ve thought… would this ED satisfy her? I was quite surpirsed that the ED of Charlotte was so static (with awesome images). I get worried that it may bore some people, but it seems it works ok. I’m bringing a lot of people into Key’s universe, and they really like it.
Many claims that there’s a huge need for a renewal in the style of the anime, and Key will help imo. Mainly because it always be a VN company if Maeda et all are there. Even if they make anime. The animes created by Key are special, different.

Unrelated: I am surprised that Light Colors is a favorite for no one (I didn’t vote that VN OP either). But I really just looove that song and I like the OP. I’m just curious why there’re no fan there.

It is a fun and subjective topic. What’s a ED? what’s an OP? I believe the OP is something that repeats everytime you start to play it. And a OP are also some animated sequences that may appear later too. (Some of them are… sugoi… unexpected). You know what ED I’m talking about I guess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are ending songs… so they are the EDs. Media isn’t limited to one ending song.

She is a good singer, but a lot of the songs sound same-y. I think she gets typecast a lot, and it leaves all of her songs sounding like the same two or three tracks.

I can’t hmph

My problem with that ED in particular is that it never really does anything. The start is very nice, which is of course necessary when using a lead-in at the end of episodes. Aoi Tada has a nice voice too, and up until the second line, it sounds so reminiscent of Zegapain (which I’ve been nostalgia-tripping over for months.) However, the song keeps going, and it doesn’t go anywhere good. I feel like there’s a disconnect; The instruments want to resonate with the listener, while the singing wants to be loud… The singer is restricted by the backing, and so you just get… nothingness.
Maybe I’d like the instrumental on it’s own, but it’s a shame, because the voice could be perfect for the song. It’s just not right. I don’t agree with song’s direction.

guys, just a quick reminder, that this thread is about the Openings. If you wanna discuss something about Endings, then I suggest you make a thread for that, since we wanna stay on topic in here.

And to put something on topic in that message, lemme just say that I kinda liked Light Colors, but I wouldnt call it one of my favorites. After Little Busters Ex, there would be Mag Mell and also both Rewrite openings.

2 Likes

Yes @EndOfRefrain you are right. Lets keep focused on OP only.

I believe we have a few winners in this hard topic after all. :slight_smile:
And a few doubts. Shall we consider Planetarian intro as an OP? I think it has no answer but I feel the majority would say: it doesn’t have one.

We should take this nice poll as an excuse to talk about OP.
Also, we change our preferences over time. Sometimes we may love Clannad After Story OP, and the next year Little Busters OP and so on. We change.

I think that a multiple choice or ranking would give more accurate stats. Since we love them all (or almost all)… but there are preferences. I feel a multiple choice will change the results a lot.

In that case, then it’d be for a different poll; best key theme song or something :stuck_out_tongue: I would probably end up voting Rewrite for that as well, heh.

It’s my third favorite though ;_; too bad I can only vote one

I’m tempted to make the poll just to prove you wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

While it probably wouldn’t win, I regard Life is Like a Melody in very very high regard so I have hopes that it’d at least get a few votes

I would count them as endings, yeah. Which is why there are probably 2x more endings than openings in Key

That’s why I made the topic! People were already battling each other in the Charlotte OP topic so might as well put it in an appropriate place :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, discourse does have multiple choice polls now but… I feel like it’d be pretty skewed; like I might choose half of the stuff on there XD The only thing that that would achieve would be to find the OPs that nobody likes, heh. Probably Light Colors would be higher in that case? I don’t quite know.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of dislike for Tori no Uta :frowning:
Times change, indeed, and not always for better

I mean, newer songs are great and all, but… somehow, something isn’t right about disregarding older OPs

Last regrets will always be my favorite, most likely, in fact i find the Charlotte op and Ed to be quite boring… I mean i see what you are saying, after hearing the same opening 1000 times and hearing a fresh new one it can likely seat people’s opinions, but I’m sure there is a healthy sum of people who still like the classics

I feel this has been expressed alot, I’ve certainly mentioned this, but there isn’t really anything universal about what this poll is about. For some the choice of song will be the primary reason for liking an OP. But that isn’t necessitated by this poll, the animation, it’s framing… literally anything and everything could be a reason to think one OP is better than another. It isn’t a ‘primarily song’ thing at all.

1 Like

Don’t worry. I haven’t liked Tori no Uta for years nod nod Kanon’s OP is great though. Arigaaatoooouuu… Iwanaaaai yoooou

1 Like

We came all this way without addressing this very important question?!?

@Pepe. Is this poll about OP songs, or OP videos with songs?

2 Likes

I was under the impression the answer to that was: Follow your heart. It wasn’t answered because it wasn’t interested in being answered.

Yeah… there doesnt really need to be a distinction. Its about both together I guess? Its whatever’s “best” to you, so you each person will value all parts of each OP differently.

But the method of judging which is best is vastly different. I could say I love the Charlotte ED but since it’s just a bunch of stills I can’t say much about it being a good ED.

An OP is judged by everything that comes with it. Some like that one Rewrite OP because it’s drawn animation, whereas others have a taste in music.
I go purely by music, because I rarely actually watch them after seeing it the first time, but I listen to the songs.

I do think this is an important question, because I’d have a different answer based solely on the song, that is: Toki wo Kizamu Uta.

But, I think he meant the videos, because there’s no sense in taking out the visual aspect, it matters a lot. Charlotte’s OP, for example, wouldn’t be half of what it is without the visuals imo…

It was addressed in the opening post. It’s all just up to you, you decide for yourself what makes the best opening the best opening.

Either of them! As I said:

As such, it’s totally up to the voter to decide. If you are on-the-fence because you love one song, whereas on the other hand, you love another’s video, well… Time to decide, I guess :wink: You can even take into account the kind of emotional context that it brings to you, which would be a more personal thing altogether. Just strictly separating it into “opening song” and “opening movie” I think limits how people can factor in what makes it the best for them.

Or you can be crazy like me and list down all the possible criteria, and give grades best on the criteria, heh.

I voted for MSYB, though I can’t say that’s necessarily my favorite because I don’t even know if I have a favorite. I love all of them except One’s Future.
I have to make a best to least list to organize my thoughts (I do this a lot)
1a. My Soul Your Beats
1b. Last Regrets
1c. Tori no Uta
1d. Heartily Song
1e. Little Busters!
1f. Toki wo Kizamu Uta
2a. Rewrite
2b. Bravely You
2c. Mag Mell
2d. Boys Be Smile
3a. Todoketai Melody
3b. Light Colors
4. Philosophyz
5. Harvest
6. One’s Future (do not like Kud’s voice at all)

okay this didn’t help at all

2 Likes

All of the songs are great, but Toki wo Kizamu Uta is timeless

3 Likes

I know that Harmonia hasn’t released yet and not everybody can understand japanese, but why Harmonia song doesn’t have a single vote?

PS: I didn’t expect that Rewrite Moon opening having so much votes, I thought that most people prefered the first opening.