Best Key Opening!

This poll was closed on September 26, 2018 due the options being outdated. We will make a new one if there’s interest.

Due to some controversial arguments we’ve had earlier with the recent release of Charlotte’s Opening sequence, I thought I’d start up this topic to get some input as to what the community really thinks~

Sooo, what, in your opinion, is the best Key Opening! “Best” is pretty subjective, so I’ll leave it to you to decide. Maybe you wanna take into account the actual opening movie, or maybe you just love the song so much that it puts it way above the rest. You decide!

• Last Regrets (Kanon)
  • Tori no Uta (AIR)
  • Mag Mell (Clannad)
  • Toki wo Kizamu Uta (Clannad After Story)
  • Light Colors (Tomoyo After)
  • Little Busters! [EX] (Little Busters)
  • Boys Be Smile (Little Busters Refrain)
  • One’s Future (Kud Wafter)
  • My Soul, Your Beats (Angel Beats)
  • Philosophyz (Rewrite)
  • Rewrite (Rewrite Moon)
  • Harvest (Rewrite Harvest Festa)
  • Heartily Song (Angel Beats 1st beat)
  • Todoketai Melody (Harmonia)
  • Bravely You (Charlotte)

0 voters

My personal favorite is Rewrite. As much as I love the numerous Lia Key OPs, there’s just something about the song that I get so hype about. You simply cannot get me to listen to that song without me trying my best to sing along :stuck_out_tongue: And I won’t even get started on how good the video is~

So, which do you think is the best?

(now to wait for little busters to dominate the poll again)

1 Like

I agree on Rewrite, My Soul Your Beats, Tori no Uta and Mag Mell are quite close behind it however. I’m not sure why I like it so much (I mean besides visuals) but I guess it might be due to the instrumental playing a couple times during route climaxes and I fell in love with that song then when I heard the lyrics (matched with the visuals) I guess I just fell in love with it. One weird thing though is Philosophyz is probably my least favourite (Haven’t heard Harmonia, Harvest Festa, Tomoyo After or Kud Wafter OP) and it’s the only Rewrite song I don’t like at all.

1 Like

Little Busters, easily. It grew on me so much over the many times you hear it playing through the game. (Refrain Spoilers) The fact that it’s the last song you hear in the game also works beautifully to make everything come full circle. We go from the happy and fun days we had before Rin2 into many hours of not ever hearing the song, until we finally arrive at more happy and fun days, as signified by the same song playing again. Plus it’s just an awesome song. I love it so much <3

1 Like

Ugh, this is a tough one. D:

My top three Key opening songs would be Little Busters (Ecstasy Ver.), Tori no Uta, and My Soul, Your Beats, I suppose. If I absolutely had to pick one, I think I’d go with Little Busters Ex Ver. It has the best instrumentals, compared to Little Busters original ver and anime ver, and the song is really nice too. I love listening to it.

Little Busters without a doubt. They way the song, no matter which version, fits the video is just awesome and it just gets you so hyped when you have the scene before it plays in the VN and then you hear the music start. I love Rewrite too, but it just doesnt make me feel the way Little Busters does, I especially favor the Ex version, since they put a bit more power into it.

Kud Wafter

My favorite is Boys Be Smile because… there’s no contest. The Kanon OP comes second, but that isn’t even very good either. The anime OPs of CLANNAD are nostalgic, but I didn’t like them when I was first watching the show.

I don’t like most Key OPs. They are very average and typical, and they have that… fake energy… in them. Like, there are moments that theoretically should make me hyped, but instead they are just meh.
It gets worse as the years go by. MSYB, LB, Philosophyz. They are boring.

Screw this, Im not voting in a poll where there are like 5 right answers. YOU CANT FORCE ME TO CHOOSE!

I would say we should do a ED one too, but honestly that might be even harder to choose.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how this is a ‘fair’ poll in the slightest. When Rewrite’s second opening is a thing… Not to mention there’s no separation between anime adaptations and the VN openings… Unless you just expected us to go by song alone? Iunno. There’s a bunch that stand out in different ways, but Rewrite’s second opening is amazing on the fact it exists at all.

1 Like

Visually, I’d say Charlotte. If it’s just the song, then I’d go for Toki wo Kizamu Uta or Boys be Smile. But the one I believe is both visually and musically good enough is Little Busters!

This is a tough one to choose on. I really like virtually all of them, and if I pick one I feel like I’m saying the others “aren’t as good” which is untrue.

But, in the spirit of the poll actually existing, I voted LB! Refrain. That song will likely always stick with me, so memorable. However I do think that Rewrite (Moon) is probably the best video OP out there.

Only allowing one choice on this one seems almost criminal. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Toki wo kizamu uta and boys be smile remind me of the feels everytime I listen to them; I could listen to MSYB all day long; Rewrite is the only one that gets me very excited.

My music standard bar is not very high. As long as it good in my ears, then it’s fine. So, I think I could say that I like all of the OPs. They might not sound perfect, but the lyrics are all well made. I can only understand the message that is in the song after finishing the story. It’s like they are trying to tell the story without spoiling it, which is kinda amazing.

Vote goes to Rewrite because it is the only op that gets its own animation (vn) and it’s the most manly!!

1 Like

Philosophyz is my favorite song, but video makes me motion-sick. My favorite part is also not in the actual opening, it’s only in the full version of the song. Taking all aspects into consideration, I think Harvest does it’s job the best. The song is far from my favorite, but it’s still good. It has nice visual in time with the song. It goes fast at times, but then it slows down to let you breath.

4 Likes

I like all the songs Lia sings, tori no uta is my fave, purely song wise. I feel like Bravely you hasn’t sunk in quite yet, but I watched it like 5 times when it was leaked… very good song indeed. It’s really hard to say, but all the Lia songs for me, have the edge. I liked tori no uta really before I was really a key fan and before I had seen/played air, you could say that the song drew me into watching air and playing the game, that to me says alot. I say visually speaking rewrites 2nd op was a big treat. Little busters EX is a good song but I feel its just cause I like little busters rather than the song I had hear the song from the nico nico melody before playing the game, but it didn’t stick out until after I started reading it. It even took me awhile to realize the connection… Lights colors is underrated as a song alone, the song has stuck with me quite well despite not playing the game. It is just cause it is from a spin off game people don’t like it as much I think.

I’m with last regrets, the amazing production value, the perfect melody, the air thing piano, mixed with some electronica, it fits the simple, quiet, snow setting so well too, I find it to be be perfect, the actual visuals of the opening are fantastic as well

1 Like

This is like asking me to pick my favorite child- it’s almost impossible. :slight_smile:

My list would definitely include Tori no Uta, Toki wo Kizamu Uta, Little Busters, Boys Be Smile, and Philosophyz. But I can’t quite narrow it down past that.

1 Like

LET ME CHOOSE MULTIPLE OPTIONS

i went for toki wo kizamu uta for based lia

It’s Rewrite, obviously.

I find it hard to compare openings to see which is the best, because they are all quite good. But when it all comes down to the most enjoyable of the openings, Rewrite just takes the cake. It has incredible build-up, a catchy melody, and is one of the most engaging openings I have ever heard. If it weren’t Rewrite, it would probably be Heartily Song, because like Rewrite, it is engaging and catchy (that pianist is in the zone), and both instrumentals stand out as their own musical pieces. But Rewrite is just so full of hype, while Heartily Song is so full of…well, heart. And there’s nothing wrong with that, right?

If were talking about Key anime, I’ll go with Charlotte. I prefer the star-ish aesthetic, the character animation and how it flows more than Tatsuyuki Nagai or Seiji Kishi’s “presenting characters as in a slideshow” (Air, Clannad and Angel Beats), even if I really love Tori no Uta.

As for VN, I have only played Little Busters, Rewrite and Planetarian, but I’ll go with LB. It’s super nostalgic for me.

I’m not sure if I’m voting, though. I think there should be a separation between anime and VN openings.

1 Like

Guh, this is an extremely hard question. Every single one of them just has that inescapable Key quality that makes them uplifting, tragic, and part of an epic at the same time (not that they aren’t unique songs). If I were going solely by the song only my favorite is definitely Light Colors, but for this I went with Tori no Uta. Of course the song is one of the most iconic Key has made, but the opening sequence is super well choreographed and ties in beautifully to the summer setting of the story.

People always bring this up because they think one opening is so much better than the others, but the fact remains that we, as people, all have differing opinions :wink: As much as I agree with you on the epic-ness of Rewrite, some people do think otherwise, and I’d like to know their thoughts.

2 Likes