Ask a Key fan!

Saying there’s “an error” is possibly the least useful thing you can do. Post the error log and you’re more likely to get useful answers.

1 Like

Thanks for replying. We found out already (through night and with a “very simple” error, very hard :’( )
More question, I am researching about XOR key. Just a amatuar devoloper, what way and tool we used to find key of XORed-bianary file ? Example here is Siglus, gameexe.dat and scene.pck of Rewrite and AB. @tanuki found out xor-key of Angel Beats! but I don’t know how.

XOR is a very simple method of symmetric key encryption in which you just “XOR” all the bits with the key - that means, if a bit is set in the key, you flip that bit in the data. To decrypt it, use the same key to flip those same bits again.

If the data is longer than the key, you just repeat the key over and over, until you run out of data.

So if you had this:

DATA: 0001 1010 0110 1001
 KEY: 1101 1001 1010

And you wanted to encrypt it, you’d do this (just flip the bits):

0001 1010 0110 1001 # Data
1101 1001 1010 1101 # Key (looping)
1100 0011 1100 0100 # Encrypted!

To decrypt it, just do the same thing again - flip the same bits back:

1100 0011 1100 0100 # Encrypted data
1101 1001 1010 1101 # Key
0001 1010 0110 1001 # Original data!

However! This method has a glaring weakness.
If you know the original data, and the encrypted data, and you XOR them together…

1100 0011 1100 0100 # Encrypted data
0001 1010 0110 1001 # Original data
1101 1001 1010 1101 # WHOOPS

…you just extracted the key! The data itself is typically several times longer than the key, which makes it very easy to tell where it starts repeating.

This is called a known-plaintext attack, because you use the “plaintext” (unencrypted) version to derive information about encryption secrets - in this case, you end up with the whole thing landing in your lap.

The way past KEY games have been compromised is from KEY licensing the engine to another company, who make a game with it, but don’t encrypt their files.

REALLIVE leaves a lot of work to data files, but a lot of it is plain boilerplate (setup stuff that isn’t very interesting to change)… which means people could find a game made with the same engine, find an unencrypted file with nothing changed in it, and XOR it together with the encrypted equivalent from the target game, and voila, encryption key.

Another option is to use a debugger to extract the key from the game itself… but that requires a lot of knowledge about how assembly works, and also takes a whole lot of time (not to mention not making for a nearly as good post).

If someone else already extracted the key from the game you want to work with, try just asking them. If possible, it’s probably easier than doing all the work yourself.

1 Like

I can’t ask this in the Harmonia discussion, because if I post, I’ll be reported for double posting, and if I edit, no one will see, so I’ll just ask in here. Is Harmonia being translated by Sekai ? It’s getting and English release, we all know that, but I’m not 100% sure who the translation team is.

It’s been 13 days, I’m pretty sure that’s an acceptable time period to post twice in a row.

I don’t wanna take chances e.e

Not true, editing a post bumps it up to the top of the forum, and many of us pay attention enough to know that someone has edited a post.

[quote=“Kotarou, post:129, topic:131”]
I’m not 100% sure who the translation team is.
[/quote]No one knows. But at this point most of us are pretty sure its not Sekai.

3 Likes

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to put this question buttttt
What exactly is the softmaps that come in the Angel Beats 1st beat Softmap Limited Edition
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B010VD2KEY/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=ja_JP
The only thing that I know about it is that it’s a company?

Sofmap is a store; so it’s the game bought at that store. It comes with a special box case and some bonus items.

Explanation:
When you buy the limited edition of a game at certain stores, you get a bonus item which is unique for each store. These items are known as special favors or tokuten and usually contain art not available elsewhere.

You can see all the special favors that come with Angel beats on this page; the first one is the one from Sofmap.
(Link Slightly NSFW)
http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/angelbeats/shop_tokuten.html

1 Like

I’ve seen the special favors site before just wanted to know what is specfically the softmap specials are. Like is it a tapestry, a dakimakura or something else?

They do specify it on that website that he linked, but of course, it’s all in Japanese…

Basically the Sofmap special edition has a unique box, a double tenshi bedsheet, and I believe it’s a Yui pillowcase. You can see an unboxing here:

1 Like

Oh the thought never occured to me to look for unboxing videos lol
Thank you for that and the Yui is a tapestry actually. The problem with the special site thing was that I don’t believe it specifically says what the special item is. It just says it’s the softmap special. Doesn’t clarify that it is a bedsheet and tapestry.

It would have been specified on the sofmap site but apparently that’s dead now xP

Actually, the amazon link you originally posted has a description on there ._.

err again it doesn’t specify unless I’m misreading things. It says in the description it comes with an original box with other special things (not specified), the game itself and 2 other campaign specials (The drawing by Na-Ga and the Million Star single)

Anddddd after further inspection I found the product description… It would seem that I get lazy when I read Japanese…

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure if I should ask this here, but does the EX routes in LB happen after refrain or before ? I heard some people say Sasami’s route was after Refrain, which I don’t really understand. And also, for Saya’s route, when do you unlock her route ?

While they might be different in the anime it was:

Saya before Refrain, Kanata I think was before and Sasami was after, her and Riki are stuck in a different world created by someone else.

Saya’s Is chronologically before Refrain. You unlock the EX routes by completing refrain, and then entering routes like any other pre-refrain route.
Sasami’s Is in October post-refrain. (route spoilers) It’s in a world created by her pet cat that is near death (how the worlds are created) and really wanted to see her again.
Kanata’s Most of the route is chronologically the reset immediately after Haruka’s good end. Near the end there are scenes that are post-refrain chronologically.

1 Like

Does anyone know what Hinoue uses for her CG’s ? I know how to do the moe, but does anyone know how she does the hair ? The way she does it, it looks so mystical and beautiful, next generation if you wanna say.

And sadly, I only just discovered this beautiful song from Kud Wafter yesterday only, but does anyone know if there are piano transcriptions for the Kud Wafter song “Grief” ?

Also, CLANNAD is gonna be available to purchase on steam right ? How much is CLANNAD, and how much is Harmonia ?

Ohh, and last question
Does anyone know how to do a visual novel ? Kazamatsuri should do their MasaKaga story :joy::joy::joy: No but seriously, I’m curious.

[quote=“Kotarou, post:144, topic:131”]
Does anyone know what Hinoue uses for her CG’s ? I know how to do the moe, but does anyone know how she does the hair ?
[/quote]I cant even…

Clannad will be $40, Harmonia will be $15, as per http://kazamatsuri.org/harmonia-steam-release-confirmed/ and http://kazamatsuri.org/harmonia-officially-announced-for-steam/

[quote=“Kotarou, post:144, topic:131”]
Does anyone know how to do a visual novel ?
[/quote]There are tons of VN makers out there. I can think of RenPy and Tyrano Builder (on Humble Bundle rn btw) off the top of my head, but a simple google search will probably bring up at least 5.

3 Likes

:sob::sob::sob: I wanted to do that Shiona looking hair on my characters :sob::sob::sob:

CLANNAD is only $40 ? That’s kinda sad, considering most games today are like $50 and $60 and only last 10 hours at the most. But thanks ! :smiley: