Ask a Key fan!

VNs are a niche market, most people who are into VNs have probably either read Clannad or have no interest. $40 is the most I think any VN costs in the US on Steam.

Ohh. So letā€™s just say, if one day, Rewrite gets a translation, does that mean it would cost more ? Oh, and is CLANNAD the longest visual novel at steam ?

Again, most VN fans that want to have already read Rewrite, you also have to take into account even though this may be their first official English release these games are 4 (Rewrite) and 11 (Clannad) years old, games from 2004 remastered arenā€™t $60. I have no idea about length though, Hatoful Boyfriend and Huniepop are both fairly long but I havenā€™t played either so I have no idea if they reach Clannadā€™s length.

Assuming you are talking about Harmonia, it looks like she just followed the standard. Base color, shading separating each section of hair and some at the top of the head, and then just a few curves of highlighting where the hair hits the light. The standard zig-zag shape is still used, but itā€™s not as discernible. The only thing unconventional I see about the art is the texture used. Itā€™s a simple canvas pattern that she probably uses as a brush (either in placement of, or as the removal of, some of the darker shading.) Itā€™s also slapped onto the darker parts of clothing.

I think the eyes are more interesting. Itā€™s very defined. I canā€™t find the balance to replicate it.

Thereā€™s a whole bunch of engines to use. Reallivemax, Renpy, O2, Unity, you could find a large amount with a google search. They all do pretty much the same things, though Unity has extra functionality.

Iā€™d argue against that. Lots and lots of VN readers have put it off. Whether itā€™s the art style, the length, the translation, the availability, the mark it may have on their history with the anime. People like excuses.
Clannad probably wouldnā€™t even on the board for some people if the translation wasnā€™t happening.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised. People like to milk those remakes and remasters.
Australia wouldnā€™t be surprised either >.>

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the Steam release would change these two, the rest I agree with.

I was referring to the US here (or anywhere where games are 60 whatevers).

It wont, but if I know anything about Steam users, buying a game that theyā€™ll never play is a common shopping tactic.

1 Like

Is it possible to send a story to the president of visual arts ?

for what purpose?

If you know Japanese, you can always try I suppose; itā€™s doubtful whether he will read it though

Edit: found a mailform from where you can send a message to the president or an employee if you are serious about it
https://ssl.product.co.jp/inquiry/users/fanletter.php

Sure, you just gotta attend a con heā€™s at and then sneak it into his pocket when nobody is looking.

3 Likes

You can, technically send a message to him, but he must receive tons of them every days. The most concrete thing you can do is sent a physical copy and hope for the best.

I donā€™t think he really recieves that many letters. Who knows? Maybe heā€™s lonely and would love to read your letter. Still: if itā€™s a digital medium, thereā€™s the possibility that none really reads it in the end. If you can go physical then your chances skyrocket.

1 Like

Does anyone know what this says in the description, or what itā€™s for ? Iā€™m guessing something Charlotte related. But I just wanna make sureā€¦
Pls @Kanon Donā€™t answer ;-; your answers be too real for me.

I donā€™t know Japanese but Iā€™m guessing its just saying that they will be at Comiket 89 in the winter.

1 Like

Theyā€™re advertising their C89 teaser site. It says they donā€™t have any detailed information yet, so we we should wait for that.

Can anyone list all Key visual novels, from longest to shortest on Auto-play ?

The problem with auto-play times for non-KineticNovels is that because of all the branches and routes, what gets counted can be kinda wobbly. And then thereā€™s the fact that someone would have to sit there and time itā€¦

So basically, no, no one is gonna have that kind of info. Thats why, when getting exact, people typically refer to the length of VN by number of lines or sometimes script file size.

As far as I know, I think the top three in terms of line count are Little Busters! Ecstasy, CLANNAD, and Rewrite, but Im not sure of the rest. If you really want to know for some reason, you might be able to contact their respective TL groups (although not for Kanon).

I remember on Keyā€™s blog they announced that LB Ecstasy had overtaken Clannad as the longest VN theyā€™ve made. Iā€™ve heard conflicting information about Rewrite though, some say itā€™s longer than either Clannad or LBE.

I imagine Kanon and Tomoyo After are pretty close in length.

As far as lines go

LBEX 109862
LBME 104232
Rewrite 100965
Clannad 100432
LB! 74124
AIR 49188
Kanon 38474

This list doesnā€™t have them all but its a good start.

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=VN/Eroge_Scriptsizes

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how lines are counted but arenā€™t they just all the text that displays on the screen before requiring you to click to advance? If thatā€™s the case wouldnā€™t Rewrite be boosted by all the friend, monster and memory entries?