Angel Beats! - Visual Novel Details & Ongoing Speculation

Yeah, I also noticed that. I guess instead of doing a date system they’re going on an event system…? Who knows. I mean, days are kind of pointless in this story, so it makes sense.

3 Likes

WOoooooooaaaaaah animations holy shit! Every single piece of news adds on to the hype!

I guess they still will be loosely following the anime timeline in one way or another, then?

Yes, I’ve also noticed that. Speculation mode on: I guess we’re going to read a very extended version of the anime. Of course, we might also expect unexpected major twists and changes, but the structure seems to follow the anime (as far as I can see).(AB spoilers)Of course we might expect changes in the end, and specially I believe we’re going to see an extended ending, we might see an Angel Beats After (it would be afterlife, afterdeath heh). Showing us reincarnations.

I think what we’re going to see is a break from the traditional Key formula of a common route beginning which branches into various character routes that are unrelated to one another. I think instead, every route will follow the same timeline, but from a different perspective and with some small changes. All playthroughs will start with Otonashi waking up, and all playthroughs will end with either the shadows consuming everyone, or some kind of graduation/obliteration. That’ll include all the major events from the anime of course, but with the added focus of a particular character; either Iwasawa, Yui or Matsushita in this case. Maybe at the end the character will be obliterated, and they’ll either disappear from subsequent playthroughs or be replaced with an NPC, much like another Key VN.

2 Likes

Dialogues for scenes of those new CGs…(spoiler for the VN)

I feel exhausted after reading it…

6 Likes

I don’t find this idea particularly unique, save for a single element.

Now that I think about it, this might go way back to when they first officially announced this VN, saying that it would go up through the first 10 episodes of the anime. Being that Yui was going to be one of the routes, and that episode 10 is all about her, I kinda just assumed they meant it would cover material through that episode, just in general, maybe not including everything in between.

But with this “revelation”, I guess its possible that they meant it would literally go up through episode 10.

I still think it’s a reference point, because Shadow Program is also post episode 10 afai recall. Episode 11 starts w/ it. Still some big changes.

So, does anyone else get this vibe:

Over and over again Heartily Song has been referenced as the OP to 1st beat, also the cover of the single says ‘OP to 1st beat’.

I think after hearing this single- I think all titles will have unique OPs and EDs, and the final volume will come with the masterpieces. Not saying these tracks aren’t great- I’m thrashing about with how much I love Heartily Song, but I just wanted to share this now that I think it’s a definite possibility instead of just an idea I had a ways back.

I’ve been wondering about this for awhile too.

Mostly just marveling at the possibility that we could actually get 6 OPs.

I guess we still really have no idea how they’re going to conjoin all 6 beats. But if there is any evidence against having 6 different opening songs its that the opening movie had a perfect transition spot right around 54 seconds where they could keep the beginning and just switch the middle out for beat-specific stuff.

Also, the only other VN that I know of that has done this split route thing, Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua, used the same opening song, just with a different movie.

So as much as I would love to have 6 different songs, I unfortunately find it kinda… unlikely (and expensive).

Of course, “masterpiece” is all relative, but I think it’s safe to assume that Jun Maeda will try his best to make the last OP really fucking good

2 Likes

Key announced the results of their third AB! popularity poll on their Twitter this time featuring the results they received by polling fans when Key was on tour nationwide throughout the major cities in Japan!

Here are the results:

10th: Shiori Sekine (1,599 votes)
9th: Hideki Hinata (1,685 votes)
8th: Takamatsu (1,832 votes)
7th: Ayato Naoi (2,454 votes)
6th: Masami Iwasawa (2,711 votes)
5th: Yui (2,760 votes)
4th: Yusa (3,002 votes)
3rd: Yuri Nakamura (3,976 votes)
2nd: Kanade Tachibana (4,721 votes)
1st: Miyuki Irie (4,762)

If there are any mistakes in this list, feel free to point it out.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s a huge mistake there, WHERES MAH SHIINA?!?!

4 Likes

Wait, wasn’t it a April fools’ joke?

Haha yeah, turns out it was all just a ploy by Sekine to get Irie naked… XP

Announced on their twitter? You know what I think? Irie hijacked their twitter and all the voting population :stuck_out_tongue: We all know how pissed she was for being only 6th place last time!

But hey, because she was so hell-bent on getting first place, she does get something in return… (semi-NSFW) https://twitter.com/key_official/status/583111707339333634

Yeah the way I see it is they are playing an april fool’s joke as a reference to Irie’s… reaction to the previous poll. So it’s not an official poll, I gather

1 Like

Joke’s on me then!

That’s what I get for not reading that carefully.

Gotta say the CGs are much much better than the previous KEY VNs, quality and quantity. They look gorgeous!

KEY really love Angel Beats! don’t they~

2 Likes

Something just occurred to me, I might be late on this… But that CG of Otonashi and Masami supposedly getting married… Are they in a church or some kind of chapel? Is there any kind of location like that in the school?

I dont think there is if I recall correctly. Maybe they will be getting married outside of a school area? Is that even possible lol
You can just look here and see for yourself if anything look like a church, Maybe its that building in the middle and little to the left.