Winter Festival 2018 - Event: XOTY

Everyone loves wrapping up the year by discussing their favourite games, movies and anime of the year, right? Your mission is to discuss the following categories as a group, and reach a collective answer to each of them.

Game of the Year
Anime of the Year
Movie of the Year
Book of the Year
VN of the Year
Album of the Year
Meme of the Year
Character of the Year
Tweet of the Year
Teammate of the Year (For the MVP of your team!)
___ of the Year (Make your own category!)

Each team will be awarded 2 orbs for participating.

You have until 23:59 UTC of the 30th to participate, gice it your all and, of course:

Have fun!

2 Likes

This is the Vitamin C entry! Here we go! :tangerine:

Game of the Year
Monster Hunter World

When it first came out there was a lot of excitement in playing through the game, all the new monsters and features, but the same solid system as the previous games. The new monsters were really fun and challenging, and it was great to play online with friends, including random matchups. Collecting and creating the best armor is the funnest part of the game. And while it may not be quite long, it’s replay value, especially as a game to play with friends over voice, is really great

Anime of the Year
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho

This anime legitimately inspired me to travel abroad over the summer. The anime is incredibly well done with lovable characters, believable development, beautiful scenery, and superb music. There is absolutely no reason not to watch this show.

Movie of the Year
Infinity War

This movie takes all the heroes we love and brings them together in cool and funny ways. It has a villain with extreme and terrifying goals, but also one that we can still understand and empathize with. Its scenery and battle scenes are visually fantastic and engaging. Lastly, the movie has a powerful and non traditional ending that leaves the audience without a clue of what will happen next.

Book of the Year
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria, Vol. 4 (light novel) (English Edition)

None of us has actually read a book that came out in 2018, so we focused on Light Novels that got released in English this year.
The Hakomari series stands out by how well it utilizes the Light Novel medium as well as with its artfully crafted plot twists that keep happening over the course of each book. Volume 4 picks up the pace, providing us a lot of insight into the characters involved in the box of this arc, featuring some pretty good character development!

VN of the Year
Maitetsu (English)

While often written off as yet another trashy lolige, Maitetsu is one of the most well put together VNs of our time. It’s design beautifully matches the atmosphere and has tons of features to enhance the experience, such as a voice timer, in-game dictionary with cross references, and a new form of saving. The fully animated engine brings the characters to life, making the stillness of all other VNs pale in comparison.

Album of the Year
Judas Priest - Firepower

Firepower is an enjoyable and fun modern metal album that contains so much of the history of Judas Priest as well. Rob’s vocals are top notch and are on clear display throughout their 18th album. They still have lightning to strike with.

Meme of the Year
“infinity war is the most ambitious crossover event in history“

Infinity war was probably one of my favorite memes of the year because of how diverse it could get and how many different situations it could apply to. The truly funniest takes were when the crossover was on something older or obscure or non-serious, like Space Jam, or mundane things that made it really surreal. Its also really funny to me how a marketing slogan meant to be exciting can be diminished into absurdism too

Character of the Year
Violet Evergarden

A young woman trying to adapt to a drastically changing world, starting a whole new life. Violet’s dedication to her new work and lifestyle is remarkable and the way her character develops over time while influencing the lives of others is, simply put, absolutely beautiful

Tweet of the Year

Everyone loves Komari and everyone appreciates Natsumi Yanase’s voice acting. This year, this nice person has wished everyone a merry christmas - in English! Thank you for sharing this moment with us.

Teammate of the Year (for MVP of team)

We have conducted a vote to determine the group MVP among our candidates. Here are the results:

MVP:
Naoki-Saten - Vitamin C’s Leader, attended and participated in a large number of events for the team and for fun, and kept the team organized and focused. Kept the Vitamin C juice flowing!

Runner-up:
AustinDoujin - Vitamin C’s Jack Of All Trades. You need something? He can do it. He’s very active and he did a lot of “heavy lifting” for our event submissions.
Bernkastelle - Vitamin C’s Spiral of Happiness. Regularly putting our members in a great mood and creating a soothing atmosphere. It’s a joy to work on projects with her.

Food of the Year
Oranges

We all need lots of Vitamin C and it’s best delivered in a yummy, yummy fruit!

Kaza funniest moment of the Year
Clannad movie viewing

The movie itself is a meme featuring indoor snow, funny faces, spacetime distortions and other things otherwise only seen in hallucinations. Watching it alone would feel weird. Watching it with fellow Kaza members still feels weird but it was also one hella funny experience.

Idol group of the Year

Just enjoy.

22/7 ( https://youtu.be/g7rT0iuqupk , https://youtu.be/aRKYPY1orHo )

Crying experience of the Year (I mean you gotta cut those onions, right?)

Violet Evergarden episode 10 (Mother and Daughter episode)

It’s a feelsy series, but this time, I was caught completely off guard. The moment the first letter arrived and the realization hit me… I WAS NOT READY FOR THESE FEELS!! T_T

Merch of the Year
Kamome’s suitcase-phonecase (Summer Pockets)

It’s a good sturdy and super cute case ☆

2 Likes

Two orbs to Vitamin C!

1 Like

I think that on the whole Team Chocomint (especially me) hadn’t had much if any hands-on for all the new releases this year so it was kinda easy to choose due to a lack of contenders for consideration:

Game of the Year:

• Octopath Traveler:
• Frostpunk:

Anime of the Year:
• Violet Evergarden
Violet’s journey towards understanding love was a visual spectacle thanks to KyoAni’s care and detail; the first episode displayed something grand and inexplicably moving and consistently does so for the rest of the series. Through Violet’s compassionate lens, we see tales that display human strength and wonder, all mesmerizing and powerful stories that makes Violet Evergarden as special show to see.

A Place Further than The Universe got a mention too

Visual Novel:
Well it seems we have to say we didn’t play any 2018 release - but:

“Summer Pockets looks lots of promising though! The character designs are simple but memorable and the story feels fresh. The little air of mystery surrounding its story is exciting but I dunno, whenever I see Summer Pockets I’m reminded of a cool breeze. And I haven’t even read it.”

Album of the Year:
• Hikkikomori Songs:
• Violet Evergarden:

Meme of the Year
Distracted boyfriend

Movie of the Year:
• Maquia:

• Liz and the Blue Bird, Spiderverse and Deadpool 2.0 get honorable mentions.

MVP OF THE YEAR:

Well this is embarrassing for me to post LOL. I’ll just post the comments. I’m just grateful I wasn’t the dead weight I though I would be :happy:

Honestly it was a great team effort though!

• Tidulimar says:
And out of potential MVP teammates, there are a few that could make the list, some of you have been really active and working for this with really nice results unlike the lazy person thats me). If I had to pick out a singular one of them, that’d probably be @LegendaryStarfishBender for their relentless attempts at work (that actually turns out really well) even without little confidence in their own skills (I admire that because I simply don’t do stuff to begin with when I think my skill does not suffice)
(@chesca, @LoliconExE and @CLANNAD_Rewrite would be the other candidates)

• I say:
I vote for @LegendaryStarfishBender as MVP as well!! They were pretty active throughout the festival and were always prepared with something else in case we fail to complete a task. Their support and encouragements are relentless as well!! I don’t think I would work as hard if not for starfishbender’s intiative.

• LegendaryStarfishbender says:
My Teammate MVP vote would go to @chesca & @LoliconExE , though it seems unfair on all the others not to nominate them too! As for my own work it’s all been low effort stuff really - and I just tried not to let the rest of you down!

• Yuuichi says:
Seriously it’s been fun being part chocomint with all of you! and I agree @LegendaryStarfishBender is mvp, you have really been a great support to the team since the start

1 Like

Some of our original XOTY choices were not quite… legitimate. Sorry for making some of you go :tomoyaaa: after seeing them :yahaha:

Therefore, Vitamin C talked it over and filled some of the categories with proper entries this time. Here’s a summary of changes. For the full version, we will update our first post shortly, so look forward to it!

Changes:

Game of the Year
Monster Hunter World

VN of the Year
Maitetsu (English)

Meme of the Year
“infinity war is the most ambitious crossover event in history“

Teammate of the Year

We have conducted a vote to determine the group MVP among our candidates. Here are the results:

MVP:
Naoki-Saten

Runner-ups:
AustinDoujin
Bernkastelle

2 Likes