Weiss Schwarz (and other card games with Key Characters)

Today marks the English release of the Angel Beats Weiss Schwarz cards!

Now, for those who are unfamiliar, Weiss Schwarz is a Trading Card Game that incorporates anime characters as cards. A lot of really popular series have been made into cards, and Key is no exception. Angel Beats, Little Busters, and Rewrite series have been in Japan for the longest time now, even to the point that buying Limited Edition Key games would net you special Weiss Schwarz cards. And, as of today, we have the opportunity to play the game with an English Key-related set.

There are also a few other TCGs that feature Key series, but WS seems the biggest one so far.

Iā€™m thinking of picking up the Angel Beats Trial Deck sometime soon. Iā€™ve played the game once during a convention with a Fate Zero deck, so I guess I would try out how the AB cards fare.

3 Likes

Good idea for a thread! I had no idea there was an English Angel Beats deck. I have a Rewrite and Little Busters EX deck myself, even though Iā€™ve never really played the game haha.

Iā€™m pretty sure Lycee also has Key cards too.

Currently having the LB! anime Trial Deck and some (as in, around 200) LB!/LB! Refrain WS cardsā€¦ collecting dust since no time and no people to play against :frowning:

As @Pepe said, the ones on the lower right are from the Kud Wafter VN

Just paid for the English AB! Trial Deck but I couldnā€™t buy boosters; theyā€™re sold out since a month ago :frowning:

Also, a rare LB!EX non-TCG from Arclight Games. http://www.arclight.co.jp/ag/lb/

It has THE hologram XD

2 Likes

I just bought an Angel Beats Trial Deck :smiley: Now to find people to play with lol

Or hey, maybe we can organize a WS tourney via Skype or something?

One month later

I got one, too. Also, a Kancolle deck, but that is not Key related, so there :3

Yeah I still havenā€™t used my trial deck to play a game, even though I know how it works.

Too shy to join the regular WS community around my area =3=

Lycee is gross, but it has really good art for itā€™s Rewrite set, like really really good art.

I currently play Meta ChihayaxAkane Red/Yellow (Which, if I get the last few things needed, Iā€™ll be playing at the nationals in Melbourne.)

I also play the Visual Artā€™s 20th anniversary promo deck, itā€™s really dumb but alot of fun! Vava can give everyone the trait ā€œHappinessā€ and Maedaā€™s card in the set is ā€˜Jun Maeda of killingā€™ so itā€™s a really funny combo! Itā€™s a really dumb self hating deck though, so itā€™s hard to play. Madea kills all your own characters and Na-ga deals damage to yourself. I still have to get 4 copies of the 20th anniversary album set so I can play 4 copies of LiSA (Because everyone loves LiSA. Even @Kanon)

Iā€™m currently building the following: Black*Rock Shooter solo blue, because Yomi is disgusting trash and Solo Blue Creamy Kagarin because best girl.

1 Like

Wow Iā€™d love to see pics of that Visual Artā€™s promo deck! That is Weiss Schwarz, right?

I guess itā€™s generally a good idea to limit your deck to 1-2 colors, right? I would imagine itā€™d be bothersome to not be able to play your decent cards on-hand just because you donā€™t have that color in your clock or level field.

It really depends on what youā€™re trying to do. I play alot of solo decks because I want to play characters I like, those kind of decks generally arenā€™t as good because it lacks the diversity of the other three colourā€™s effects. If you want to play something competitive you generally play 2-3 colours, more often than not two colours that have cards leveled 1-3 and a third colour that only uses level 0s. That way you only have to worry about two colours in the clock/level zones.

My internet is pretty bad right now so I canā€™t download and re-upload pictures without it taking a long time >__<

But this is the VA deck I play:

This is only the deck, there are another 15 or so cards in the actual set. Getting the playset costs 20 redeemable points, which is ridiculous! Thankfully I had a friend who was getting into CHAOS at the time so he gave me all of his points. After push came to shove the 20 points cost me around $130, so Iā€™m pretty happy about that.

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep that in mind, thanks! :smiley:

Yeah, those look pretty hilarious! What are these points that youā€™re talking about, though?

Basically, in all Bushiroad games you have a white slip of paper in the back of booster packs and decks which have a chance of containing points used to redeem goods. Most slips just say ā€œSorry, Try againā€ so theyā€™re really hard to get.

http://www.heartofthecards.com/ws/points.html

You used to be able to get really good Lewd Rin sleeves, and in ChaOS you can get Lewd Rin x Kud sleeves for 2 pointsā€¦ Itā€™s a never ending thing.

1 Like

Only card game of this type I have/tried is Lycee. Got a card from there with my version of Kanon, and then bought some more since I thought they were pretty.

WS looks cool too though and is actually in english :open_mouth: I was surprised when that happened.

If you or anyone else are interested in learning Weiss Schwarz, Iā€™m happy enough to set up a tutorial or something as a commevent.

Little Busters! Card Mission is out now, and wow! What a set. Iā€™m dropping a lot of money on it so I can run Kyosuke at national championships. Heā€™s even better than current meta Chihaya.

Yellow 3/2 "once per turn if this unitā€™s damage is canceled, send the top card of the library to the waiting room. Deal damage equal to the total level of that card +1. (Climaxes are counted as level 0 for the sake of this effect)

In addition to that he has a passive ā€œif you have 6 or more climaxes in the waiting room, this card looses a levelā€

Komari has a similar effect but is more so focused on the healing and attack power rather than the damage. Its also worth running three of her for the +4 free damage from Kyosuke.

This set is insane!

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see a tutorial. I havenā€™t really looked at WS cards, but having something to go off of would be really nice. If the game seems like itā€™d be fun Iā€™d certainly be willing to shell out some cash.

Has anyone got any signed cards?

I have a deck of Little Busters! and Angel Beats! WS.

1 Like

Signed: Only a Fubuki (Kantai Collecton) one.
Overall: JP Decks: Little Busters!, Kantai Collection and a box of LB! Refrain
EN Decks: Angel Beats! and Hatsune Miku

where do you guys buy your JP onry cards? I donā€™t wanna get ripped off

Okay I need to rant about this

http://www.amazon.com/Weiss-Schwarz-Little-Braver-W31-E105/dp/B00MESCAZE

Why is this called ā€œLittle Braverā€ when it is clearly the sketch from Ichiban no Takaramono? :l

Finally made a Sexy Sinon deck.

Deck is so Kawaii.

1 Like

I have never heard of Weiss Schwarz until last June a dealer had them at a con I went to and me and a group of my friends grabbed them to try them out. The selection was unfortunately limited (all we had to chose from were the SAO, Monogatari,Love Live, and Madoka sets) I ended up with the Madoka deck and a couple of packs and we went home and played. I actually really enjoyed the game play coming from someone who has played card games the better part of 10 plus years now and the art is just a nice extra kicker. But alas no one plays anywhere around me so Iā€™m stuck to just collecting them for show. :-\

1 Like