Username Origins

I’ve had so many usernames for various reasons, and I’ve forgotten majority of them. Odin is one of the names that has been with me the longest yet; I bounce between Odin and the name “Sonserai” frequently. In a way, I actually kind of regret picking Odin here for Kaza, as it is not my favorite, and I don’t feel the name doesn’t really represents or fits me as well as I feel Sonserai does. But there’s reasoning as to why, which I will section off, since it is not my current name and no one here knows me by it, but I enjoy sharing the memory of it, so I will do so, should anyone be interested.

Sonserai

I’d like to explain the other name I mentioned in addition to Odin, as I may end up switching back to it at some point, since I don’t believe anyone uses it here. Sonseray is a name from a book I loved as a kid, “The Library Card” by Jerry Spinelli. He was the first author I knew by name as a kid and would actively seek out his name on any bookshelf. It was the first time a book had related to me in a deep and personal way, so I use that name to honor that memory and character. Sonseray’s story is one of homeless kid who lives in a car with his uncle/father (can’t remember exactly, it’s been years since I read the thing). He’s an outcast: lonely, angry, and a troublemaker, but eventually finds peace and comfort in the pages of books, specifically one his mother read to him as a child before she died.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I don’t use Sonseray or Sonserai as much anymore is because, although it is my favorite, it appears to also be well liked by many other people, as it is usually always taken in most games or forums I’ve been on, so I would go with Sonserai (which if I recall correctly is the female version of the name) whenever it was available, but it was usually a 50-50 shot in most cases. Therefore, when the length of username allows for all of Odinbeard McSparkles, I tend to go with that since no one else ever has it. Otherwise, I use some variation of Odin or Odin_Senpai, assuming Sonserai/Sonseray isn’t available.

It was also a confusing name, and people would shorten it to “Sun” which didn’t bother me initially, but eventually did because I wanted to honor the name and going by Sun felt disrespectful and counter-intuitive to that point.

Considering the extravagant nature of how it reads, many have asked me where and how my name came to be. The exact origin of the name is a bit of simple and unoriginal story, however. Me and one of my friends were talking about funny names we had seen on Xbox Live when playing Halo. We had both just gotten PC gaming rigs, and I wanted a new name to go with it. So I googled funny screen-names and the ones I liked best that came up were “Odinbeard McSparkles” and “Mr. Big McHugeLarge.” My friend preferred the latter, but I liked to former since I had been very interested in mythology from a young age, primarily Greek and Norse myths. I also have a beard that grows very quickly and notoriously hate shaving. I went to a private high school and would get detention slips regularly for having facial hair, so the name fit better than originally expected. (I’ve also been recently getting a bunch of grey hairs in it at the ripe age of 22, so the name is really coming full circle lately.)

I actually didn’t expect to keep it for more than maybe a few weeks or so until I got bored, but everyone ended up simply referring to me as “Odin,” or sometimes even “Sparkles” when I was in a good mood, and I liked the sound of it. It was easy to say and spell, unlike my previous name, which I don’t really remember except for the fact that I made it up myself and people said it wrong all the time because of that. I’m not overly attached this name, and it doesn’t describe me very well, but I appreciate it for it’s simplicity and uniqueness.

5 Likes

My real name is Nathaniel Evan. I’m called “Evan” in real life, Nathaniel being the baptism name I received when I was baptised 2 weeks after I was born. I used to have a very cringey e-mail username but those days are behind me, so instead of trying hard to come up with a unique Internet username, I just go with nathanielevan. It’s simple, uncomplicated, and I don’t have to be pretentious. It’s me. Plain and simple. The reason I choose to go by the name “Nate” instead of “Evan” on the Internet is mostly because I think it’s cool, it’s brief and on point. 1 syllable is better than two.

6 Likes

I think I was 13 or so,when I was asked for writing tips. Not being a writer myself,I just told them “Well,if you don’t write anything you’re a terrible author”. They told me if I was such a hot shot,why don’t I write something myself? So I did. A high fantasy story set in a land called “Iotheria”.

The name itself doesn’t hold much meaning,I just made it up on the spot,and it sounded Japanese enough to pass. The MC’s name was Slade (No,not Wilson. I didn’t even know him at the time. There was a “Glade” package near me,and I replaced the G with an S). He was an already established character,and instead of flash backs,I recall using a type of “reminisce” system,where I revealed things about him from people he already knew.

I don’t remember how much I wrote in total,but after showing it off to a few close friends,they really liked it,and I just kept writing. I found that I excelled in character interactions,and dialogue,but I struggled with overall story,and events. (Looking back,my style is pretty similar to the Monogatari series,you know,if you chop out everything that isn’t people talking to each other)

I think Slade was literally immortal,and the story started with him waking up some time after being killed,I eventually tried to explain this by a Dragon attacking his village when he was young,and putting a magic stone in his chest. Man,I was really good at people talking to each other,but boy did the story suffer for it.

TLDR; Teenagers are embarrassing

6 Likes

A basic fact of my life is that literally everybody calls me “Pepe”. It is a nickname given to me shortly after my birth, and thus my parents and family call me Pepe. My friends call me Pepe and my co-workers all call me Pepe. It’s a somewhat common nickname in hispanic countries, although it is being less and less used in my own country because of negative connotations :yahaha:

So when I was a teenager and I was sick and tired of figuring out a ~cool~ username for the Internet, I decided to defy all odds and have everyone on the Internet refer to me the same way that everyone else refers to me. And it stuck from there.

Unfortunately, this name is usually taken (especially in communities that have a large concentration of latin american members) but I use it when I can. Though nowadays I try to use Pepemosu for the sake of uniqueness when I can’t.

You also may have seen me referred to as “Peeps” which stems from a mispronounciation of my name “Pepe” when I first joined Kaza. I don’t even know who it was that refered to me as “Peep” first but that also stuck, as did many variations of the name such as “Papa Peeps”, “Buff Peeps”, and so on. That’s a nice little nickname I’ve gotten that remains Kazamatsuri-only :happy:

So I guess I am justified in answering, if anyone asks where you are, that you are in the Thrift Shop

16 Likes

Mine is pretty simple -

My name is Erika and I like Pikachu. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ever since I joined thatgamecompany’s now defunct forums back in 2006, I’ve figured that I can get away with telling people that it comes from their first game, Cloud, instead of a certain JRPG. I don’t really know how I got that number, though, and as it turns out, it’s not a unique enough number as it seems there may exist another Cloud668 who took the username on some other places like League and Reddit.

I’m more often known as Kuzu in some other circles, which I more or less lifted from that one joke in Little Busters! Incidentally, I sometimes also go by Uzuki, my main girl in Mobamas, whose name as it turns out is Kuzu spelled backwards with an extra “I”.

4 Likes

hmm let’s see
It’s happen when i’m playing WoT ASIA… when i’m wanna creating account username that i usually use “LoLMe” is used so im thinking that i need really whole new username that unique in every game

i decide to put “Lolicon” since i like loli and ExE. and there you go i got LoliconExE… im really like it since no one in every game i play using this nickname

but last year i dunno why but my nickname against WoT Rule so nowaday im usually use Kudryatsev/Kudryavtsev as Nickname which just male name version of Kudryavka

4 Likes

My first foray into dating simulations was Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love for the PlayStation 2. It was a huge risk for me, a risk that ultimately paid off in huge ways. It kindled my love for the series and encouraged me to play the earlier games in the series (which, as they are untranslated into English, I had to suffer through with a guide). :umu:

428854_403857402996556_1369276430_n

My username in particular comes from Sakura Wars 2, which introduces several new forms of the established Koubu mecha model, as well as one unique to the defunct European Kagekidan: the Eisenkleid. The two words didn’t come together for me until I took a Photoshop class in community college, and I had the amazing idea to merge the two models into one, and thus was born my username and my default avatar, which to this day is the Photoshop I’m most proud of. :ai:

7 Likes

I saw a fake name like this in the credits of a bad vhs movie on a RedLetterMadia video once so I stole it. That simple

6 Likes

Depending on the Kanji used, Tsukishiro can mean White Moon or Lunar Castle. Either way, it presents an image of phantasmagorical and dream-like beauty that I find captivating. I’ve always had a proclivity towards words or descriptions that present a sense of wonder like this one.

It’s also the name of a character in one of the first anime I ever watched. Back then, I just thought the name was cool, but the meanings that I learned later were what left a strong impression on me.

8 Likes

This bad boy right here:

The name ‘MagusVerborum’ is Latin for ‘Magician of Words’. I spent a good month coming back to my Latin teacher in high school to make sure I was getting the grammar right, and honestly? I’m pretty happy with it. A latin name is a little pretentious sometimes but it’s always nice when some either a) gets the reference or b) understands the Latin. I’ve had a surprising number of conversations about the nuances of the Latin grammatical system online because of it (like 3!). :stuck_out_tongue:

But why would I choose to relate to Maebara Keiichi you may ask? Well then, perhaps you should go read Higurashi and find out! As the Word Magician and Pervert King that he is, he has stolen my heart over and over in his quest to look out for those closest to him~

There may be a little more to it than this, let’s just say i have fun rolling words around in my brain and leave it at that. Personal tick, nothing to worry about. :yahaha:

8 Likes

"Homo sum humani a me nihil alienum puto ":smart:

TBH it didn’t dawn on me that you took your username from Latin until you just pointed it out!

Reckon my username is pretty easy to figure out…

1 Like

I should also add that i used to go by the username “Snowshark” because of a particularly embarrassing school photo where, let’s face it, I looked like a pudgy shark. It was awful, let us never speak of it again.

“Atqui, e lotio est.”

1 Like

That’s taking the piss :uguu:

1 Like

First name, and the numbers come from copying my big sis. Back when we were kids and she made accounts for games like toontown, pirates of the Caribbean online, and runescape she’d add 9s and 5s at the end of her usernames so it’d be insertname95. When I finally had to make my own username for online sites I took inspiration from her names for the numbers.

2 Likes

As I mentioned in my introduction post, my Kaza name is MKL, which stands for Mami Kawada Lover. Another handle of mine is madokakaname03 (03 coming from October 3, Madoka Kaname’s birthday), a name I simply chose at random simply because I like PMMM.

As for Mami Kawada Lover, I first used that name on 4chan. Originally the name was a joke and I didn’t intend to use it on a long-term basis, but almost five years after I began using it, I’ve gotten so used to it I never bothered adopting another handle. The original intention was to “promote” Mami Kawada on 4chan. The username itself is loosely inspired by an online friend of mine who goes by the handle kawadaholic; he and I are part of an I’ve Sound circle of fans. Lately I’ve been using Konomi Suzuki Lover as a secondary alias (such as on the Kaza Discord) since I’ve been more into Konomi than Mami lately.

2 Likes

It’s just my middle name.

7 Likes

My username comes from Kotomi Ichinose, 7 is my favorite number, and 95 represents the year I was born which is 1995.

8 Likes

Mine ain’t as deep and meaningful buut…

Prototype sounded cool to my 10yo self, OEZ are my name initials, slap em together badabing badaboom

2 Likes

I originally learned of the name “Kai” in a German class, but learned the name also was a Hawaiian name for “sea”. We were required to use a German nickname in the class, and since that was similar to my real first name (Kyle), I picked it and pretty much stuck with it.

My scrawny ass is certainly no type of warrior though.

“Liang” is a representation of “beam” or “bridge” which made some sense back then since I was at least somewhat popular in high school and always had a fascination with psychology and human biology/interaction and seeing connections between things and events. It’s also the last name of one of the main characters of the biggest video games series in history (Dynasty Warriors) that I happened to really like and still do today. The name fit, but the first letter was changed because it felt more personal and sounded better that way.

Years later, the two were put together and here it is today.

All this said, there has been some serious consideration of a new name in the past few weeks but it’s not certain where it is going to start and what will come up it…yet.

8 Likes