Username Origins

Here you can discuss the no-doubt enticing stories behind all of your usernames on this forum.

I’ll start us off with my own:
It’s gonna be really hard to put this story together.

To begin with, my real name is Mitchell. At some point all of my friends started choosing stupid nicknames because of the school idol Jaden, who everyone called Jaidos. It started with my friend Luke becoming Lukos. Then my friend David and I became Doov and Machel respectively at the same time. My friend Jono is also Janu by the way.

But then all the popular kids who we never liked caught on and started calling me Machel. We panicked. We didn’t want to change my nickname, but we also didn’t want to have me called in the same way as the popular kids called me.

On top of that, I can enjoy any type of music - except for rap. My friends and I ironically changed my name to reflect that of the rapper Macklemore. Since I was already Machel (pronounced the same as “Mackle” of course), and his name was Macklemore, and my real name has a “ch” in it too, my nickname naturally became “Machelmore.”

In the end, this led to my nickname being Machel among most, while Machelmore is a nickname for me reserved for close friends.

14 Likes

Aspirety

To always aspire for a great future, to aspire to continue improving oneself.

Also it sounds cute.

19 Likes

It’s basically a chemistry joke I came up with when I was like 15. I think I’ve always had a fascination with the Sun, at least since I saw Spider Man 2 in theaters at like 11. The joke is simply that Helios is the Sun and the namsake for helium, and the core of a helium atom forms an alpha particle.

14 Likes

When I was, like, 13 I played Call of Duty with some IRL friends and the only thing I was good at was hardscoping, so my friend Trickshot gave me the name Hardscope.

12 Likes

I mentioned this on Discord I’m pretty sure but Realta is from the Réalta Nua release of Fate/Stay Night, one of my favourite VNs. Not too exciting, but it is how it is :yahaha:

My other username I go by is Okaishi (some of you may have seen that one on Discord for a while), and I got that nickname from Clannad episode 22 where Nagisa goes “okaeshi desu” just before Tomoya confesses his feelings to her and for some reason that bit stuck with me. However, this was a long time ago and as I was new to anime I misspelled the name as Okaishi, but I never bothered to change it since.

9 Likes

Echo is the name of one of my favourite anime/manga characters of all time from the series Pandora Hearts. She was a side character and had less screentime in the anime but her story was dealt in great detail in the manga and she really made me cry a lot.
Since then, I started using the name Echo almost everywhere. She’s the first character who got into my best girl list and will hold a special place in my heart as long as I have this name.

8 Likes

I just took my name and added the acronym “vnp”.

What does “vnp” stand for? Take a guess.

2 Likes

Roughly three years ago, when I attended my first Smash 4 tournament, the tournament organizer asked me what my tag was. As I actually didn’t have one at the time I decided to make one up on the spot. I went with the first thing I could think of which, probably due to me holding a cheese slicer that moment, was the Swedish word for cheese, ost. Since that day onward, I’ve been Ost in the Smash community and now I’m Ost here as well.

9 Likes

Over 6 years ago, I started writing a novel in an attempt to deal with my stress and channel my emotions in some kind of direction. (Spoiler: I still haven’t gotten beyond 11 pages and my last entry was over a year ago)

Given the purpose of the novel, the protagonist was supposed to represent me and the majority of the main cast were to represent my friends. Early on, I had noticed that I had way more interesting ideas about the japanese high school life than the western, so while the setting remained western, the rest was to be pretty close to anime-style. Therefore, my characters required Japanese names.

I went by the following principle: Take the first letters of each name of the real counterpart and find Japanese ones starting with them. Look up a first name with a fitting meaning. Use the last name of an anime character.

The initials of the name I went by in school were N S. (my official one is different)
I have selected the first name “Naoki”, which supposedly meant “docile tree.” “Docile” was a new english vocabulary to me, but some of its meanings were “weak” and “quiet”, which I found fitting.
As for the last name, I searched my memory for the last names of characters known to me back then and I picked “Saten” from Ruiko Saten, a character from the To aru Kagaku no Railgun series. Therefore, the main character’s name of my novel was “Naoki Saten”.

About a year later, Little Busters started airing and I had simultaneously begun playing the VN. Once I had finished it, I wanted to discuss it and thus entered the anime community, with the conveniently Japanese name of my novel character representative as a user name.

And yes, Nick is merely the english version of my real name.

13 Likes

Once upon a time, there was a PC game called Ai Sp@ce. It was a social MMO combining the world CLANNAD with the world of Shuffle and Da Capo II. The English community for the game was small, and a lot of the members held usernames that were taken straight from the VNs—Tomoya Okazaki, Yusuke Yoshino, etc…
So I went through a list of CLANNAD names, and Takafumi was the one that was available. Since the Ai Sp@ce community was active on Crunchyroll, I named my Crunchyroll account Takafumi. From there the name spread to related sites; twitter, vndb, and anime-planet to name a few.

Nowadays I just use it everywhere. It’s hardly ever taken, but if it is, there are alternatives. You get five options just from the name: Takafumi Sakagami, Taka Sakagami, Takafumi, Taka and Fumi. Beyond that you can MMO it up with stuff like Takagami and Sakafumi. Guaranteed to have a name available.

10 Likes

Some 12 years ago i had to come up with a name for my RuneScape character, i couldn’t come up with anything so i just picked my IRL initials: first name, middle name, last name (of my father), and my mother’s last name, and thus LAPB was born.

6 Likes

Mine is pretty basic. I originally made it for my email with my brother’s suggestion. cjlim2007. cj being my first and middle initial, lim being my last name, 2007 being my birth year the year I made the email account. Both of my siblings’ emails follow this convention and so did I. I never bothered to change it because it’s basic enough to be used professionally but it’s ambiguous enough as to not easily give away too much private information. Also it’s pretty unique so the option is never taken before I make an account on whatever site I’m using.

9 Likes

When I was a kid and I still hadn’t found out about anime I used to read a lot.
In what was my favourite book series, Artemis Fowl, the protagonist has a bodyguard called Leale: I thought he was a really cool dude, so I started using his name (and sometimes also “Artemis”, he’s pretty awesome as well) in forums and games.

4 Likes

That’s a tough one. I’m not sure how to answer.

12 Likes

Jm is my name, Jorge Motta
Trad is tradução (translation). I translated some NES ROMs into my language “Portuguese Brazil” between 2006 ~ 2009. I was a romhacking forum user.
As it was a very unique nick, I decided to use it for everything.

4 Likes

TFW everyone has some cool or otherwise inspirational background behind their usernames and then there’s me, who has so little creativity I’m even taking the joke format of a post from someone else…

11 Likes

12 Likes

About eleven years ago, I was new to the Internet and I had to choose a nickname to create a character in Lineage 2. At the time, I was also playing Age of Wonders 2, so I just used the name of a race I liked, the draconians, to create the name “Draconiano”

Some years after that, I changed my name in a chat to “Draconyan” as a pun, and my friends liked it so it has stayed that way since then

EDIT: also I’m bad with names and every time I have to choose a name I can’t think of anything else that I like

9 Likes

-Bread Boy voice- DRUH CONE YIN

4 Likes

“02” is my birth month (huehue), which was a thing to do for emails/usernames at some point. As for Black Hayate, well, I’m not even sure anymore why I chose that particular name except I started becoming a huge fan of the show it came from by high school, but I’m sure as hell I took it from…

naming sense

…rather than a certain combat butler. I first used this username in FF (which I haven’t deleted but good lord please don’t look it up unless you want to get secondhand embarrassment), but it stuck to me for a lot of accounts since.

11 Likes