Tomoyo After: ~It's a Wonderful Life~ General Discussion

By endings, I meant the last part of the game…

The revised ending makes a more positive outcome appear plausible. It leaves the outcome open to interpretation.

Just started this novel about 5 days ago. I’m on After After Day 4 now (seriously didn’t see that coming…I’m really scared for this ending). I was just wondering how you all interpreted Ogawa? I’m assuming it’s Nagisa and she took on a fake name out of embarrassment over being a third time repeater.

Edit: never mind. I just finished. Ya know that feeling where you just feel really down and you wanna get everybody you know and just give them all a big hug? Yeah. I’m feelin it rn. I’ll be able to analyze and give my opinions later. I need some time to process this

2 Likes

Oh? I thought it was totally unsubtle about it. Guess I have to read it before I judge after all.

1 Like

I distinctly remember Tomoya revealing that the unrelated guy who kept sneaking up on Tomo was actually the dad of a kid who liked playing with Tomo or something and he just wanted to let the two play with each other once more. Could be wrong about the details but I’m almost certain it got cleared up. Maybe it’s optional?

But yeah, Tomoyo After is really amazing. It’s way underappreciated on Kaza for sure >_<

1 Like

Eww, is that an actual line? Poor translators…
I should complete my all ages patch for it… I knew it kept some people away from the VN, but you can just skip 'til the OP plays, so it was never a big deal for me.

The Clannad nostalgia too. Going over how they met, and talking about Sunohara and Misae.

Huh, never even thought about that. O.O It is a bit weird…

Other way around for me :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s correct. It was one of Tomo’s old neighbours before she suddenly left. Tomoyo told Tomoya about it not long after the fighting stuff iirc.

You know what, I definitely remember seeing that scene. I guess I missed that the dad was the guy from earlier, whoops.

Haha yup, that’s a real line. Another gem is “Tomoyo’s tongue…is in…my ass. My filthy hole is being raped!” H-Scenes aren’t my thing in general, but that’s a whole new level of wtf. They made up for it with the one at the end though. It was tasteful, fairly well-written and actually served a purpose to the plot, unlike most of their past ones (like the terrifyingly rapey H-Scene with Nayuki in Kanon).

Definitely glad I read it though. Originally, I was gonna read it immediately after finishing Tomoyo’s route my first time reading Clannad, but I did her route second so I just decided to stick with Clannad. I’m glad I waited though. For one, it feels more “mature” than Clannad in a way, so I’m glad I had 7 months between the two to change and grow. I think the 7 month gap between me reading Clannad and TA is appropriate, seeing as TA begins ~6-7 months after the end of Tomoyo’s route. Also, despite having seen the anime, I don’t think I would’ve had the same nostalgia for the Clannad settings had I not finished the VN before reading Tomoyo After.

Also, I really think Tomoyo’s monologue at the end deserves to be held on the same pedestal as Little Busters’ farewell of the boys scene and Clannad’s field of flowers scene.

It was rather difficult finding translators willing to work on the H-scenes. Virtually no one had the heart to work on them… not that I can blame them! I wasn’t interested in those scenes; I was interested in the story. I’m glad that many people were able to enjoy the VN as a whole and overlook the H-scenes if they so chose.

It’s been a while, but iirc, the descriptions of that final one were actually pretty vague, which is rare for H-scenes.

Made me want to reread the Tomoyo and Sunohara routes, that’s for sure.

From a reader standpoint, I think the H-scenes and the “Dungeons and Takafumi’s” minigame are great ways to scare translators away. Oh, and the typewriter-text. The images used to do it look annoying to deal with

So, a pretty significant announcement just went down… :slight_smile:

Man, there’s too many TA versions now. I’m guessing this’ll be PE without the mass of H.

1 Like

Looks to be that way. Which is pretty neat I s’pose.

Yup! Frankly, I think that is a very good thing. Plenty of people didn’t want to play the game due to the H-scenes. I believe removing them is best for Key’s international growth and for the story as a whole.

Oh yeah. I’ve been avoiding making an all ages patch because I figured there’d be some translation news out of nowhere, but I didn’t think it’d be this soon. It’s good to get it out around Clannad time though. Like, a year gap between them would be perfect.

People have wanted the extra scenes for ages, and it’s the Key VN I consider the best, so it’s nice to get this. It was always annoying that people couldn’t just skip to the Opening movie where all the H ends…

3 Likes

Don’t know where else to put discussion about Tomoyo’s character in Tomoyo After, so I’ll just put it here.

Rereading Tomoyo route in CLANNAD for the bookclub once again made me realize that Tomoyo doesn’t really undergo much character development. She comes to treasure Tomoya of course, but that’s about it. When the two of them meet at the end she’s still the same person she was before.

So I went on to read Tomoyo After and… yep, Tomoyo’s still the same. What’s especially noticeable is how she’s still dense as all hell regarding other people’s feelings. This comes up time and time again in regards to Tomo and her mom where she is almost always at odds with Tomoya who does more thinking ahead. In fact, since she’s more of a side character for the first 2-3 chapters her negatives stick out even more than usual. She’s actually really judgmental towards Yuko before being explicitly told the reason she ‘abandoned’ Tomo. And she still does a horrible job reading Tomoya’s feelings. The only time she’s dead on is when she gives Tomoya her thoughts on how to convince Takafumi, gotta at least give her credit for that.

So we’ve gone through a whole route and three chapters of fandisc and Tomoyo has hardly changed much at all. Then comes the Tomoyo After After chapter, and… holy shit she’s actually grown! Meekly standing in the back and letting others do the thinking is no longer an option and it really feels like she’s overcome that flaw now. It’s Tomoyo in her top form once more, but unlike before when in trying to balance cherry trees with boyfriend she failed splendidly and missed vital hints, she actually does a way better job this time around. It also feels like she’s more subtle than she was before and not nearly as easy to read. Like… she’s undergone about three years’ worth of character development. She’s actually grown up.

I find it quite interesting how Tomoyo’s development is really mostly constricted to the finale. It makes sense, she’s forced to stand on her own two feet and she’s the one who needs to be relied on. And she fully takes on a heavy responsibility at the end by herself as she decides to devote her life to helping other people online. This time, without a clear goal to work towards, and with no one to rely on but herself and what she’s learned and come to treasure in life. It’s a really nice conclusion for her in so many ways.

2 Likes

Tomoyo After is on Steam Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=659729842

Go vote so that the game can be released on Steam!

Tomoyo After is pretty good imo. I have a few problems with it, but it was enjoyable.

The biggest issue was definitely Tomoya. He didn’t really feel like the same character as the one from Clannad. He felt a lot more generic and much less “angsty” generally speaking. I guess that’s to be expected since he’s no longer in high school, but he held on to his angst for quite a bit of time in After Story, so I’d say it’s still very much out of character. He’s generally a lot more competent at just about everything in Tomoyo After, which I would argue is to its detriment. This especially killed the sort of feeling of chemistry that I felt Tomoyo had with Tomoya in Clannad, since this Tomoya just doesn’t feel like the same character.

Takafumi was definitely a highlight. Just an all-around enjoyable character, nothing to complain about there. Kanako wasn’t quite as interesting, deep, or amusing as Takafumi, but she was cute and still generally a good character She definitely started pulling some weight in the latter half. Tomo was a plot device, and the parts of her that weren’t just felt like Ushio 2.0 to me. Obviously Tomoyo After was quite a bit shorter than the original Clannad visual novel, but I was kinda disappointed in how poorly spread out the good characterization was, considering how excellently characterized the entire cast was in the original vn.

The ending just kinda sidewinds you out of nowhere. I like the idea of it, and the monologue Tomoyo gives is pretty hard hitting, but the implementation felt off to me. It’s not like Planetarian where the super depressing ending was just a logical consequence with substantial tie ins to the threads of the plot. Tomoyo After just flips the “time for bad shit to happen” switch, with basically no way for the reader to expect the sudden increase in drama. In other words, it feels forced, rather than natural.

Bad h-scenes are bad. Not much to say here.

On the other hand, holy shit that soundtrack tho.

1 Like

Tomoyo is my favorite girl in CLANNAD and I can’t be so wrong even after finishing Tomoyo After.

She has her weakness alright. She is judgmental towards Yuko and has to be told in the face for that before she can accept that Tomo is best left in her mother’s care. But still, it doesn’t change the fact that despite her rough appearance, she’s gentle towards people she cares for. The final arc nothing else but shows her determination and love, and it’s so valuable. I sure as hell would love to have someone like her as my girlfriend/wife.

The most annoying scene, god why does it have to always be one scene I dislike in any game I play, is of course when she tries to distract Tomoya rebuilding the school. But eh, it just proves her willingness to do anything to protect her family.

As for the game quality, graphic wise I prefer character art from CLANNAD. I don’t quite like how they designed Tomoyo here. Though, it’s a different thing after three years gap for the After After Arc, as the art is appropriate (she seems to be more mature).

I can’t complain about the ending. I like it, it’s beautiful but it’s so painful I don’t know if I can replay the ending once it’s released on Steam. I’d love to, but the whole After Arc is so painful. So many days and I still can’t get over it.

For newcomers to this game, especially since there’s a bookclub coming up, I made a walkthrough for this game. It’s on Steam, you can read it here: Tomoyo After Walkthrough

4 Likes