Summer Pockets - Pre-Release Discussion and Speculation

Haha, I like it.

1 Like

So in their weird, extremely humorous, net radio, Kai and Baba touched on how the game will feature a map screen like 1st beat, so that you can get a sense of exploration and adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SqXskUnQag

2 Likes

I’m unfamiliar with 1st beat. What is the map like? Can you use it to actually travel around or is just there to give you a sense of space?

Ahh I’m so happy about that. 1st beat is super cool just because of all the UI polish and interactivity like that. At the very least this will be a very pretty game with great UI.

maybe minigames?? pls?

1 Like

After Saya I never want to see another ‘minigame’ in a Key VN again.

3 Likes

I know, right? That mini-game is really quite meaningless.

I liked Mappie in Rewrite. Was it something like that? I did not play or watch Angel Beats either.
It would be interesting if Summer Pockets had minigames like Little Busters too.
I liked Saya’s minigame, it’s tiring, that’s true. I do not know the genre, but the first-person view reminded me of Legend of Grimrock. lol

1st beat screen looked like that, though the options are all character names. Hot Pockets supposedly lets you go to locations, and there’s just no one there.

I guess it’ll be this picture.

2 Likes

On SP’s map, you can choose the places to go instead of choosing characters. There are more than 20 places to choose on the map, so the scale of the map will be much bigger than AB’s map.
The places that you can choose on the maps include ferry, shrine, lighthouse, secret base, forgotten fishing pool, caves, and so on. No matter where you go, you will encounter some events. The choise you made on the map will decide which route you will enter.
I guess the map will look pretty much like the map of Ogijima (the prototype of Torishirojima):

I am really impressed by the new map system, because I didn’t expect it to be so complicated. It will require a lot of work for the plot writers, and it will be hard for players to find a right combination of choices to enter a route.

9 Likes

I’m sceptical of a map system. I did like mappie in Rewrite quite a lot, and I even enjoyed the map-based mini-game in MOON. (even if it did get a little repetitive after a while.) I’ve never played First Beat, so I can’t comment on the map system in that, but there is a VN I’ve read recently with a map system: Da Capo.

The map system in this VN obnoxious and obtrusive in my opinion, and from the looks of it, the Summer Pockets system is similar.

I wasn’t sure about how Air 2 Summer Pockets would turn out when it was announced , but as time has gone by and more details have been revealed, I’ve become more hopeful. However, the idea of a map system makes me worry.

1 Like

Summer Pockets is looking good!

he map system in this VN obnoxious and obtrusive in my opinion

What, something in Da Capo being obnoxious? Let me act surprised.

9 Likes

Wow, an interactive map totally changes everything. I wonder if you’ll only be allowed to go to a certain amount of places each day, or if the route you enter depends on the order in which you go to certain locations, it could potentially be very complicated. I hope it’ll be similar to Little Busters, where you can do pretty much all of common in one go if you want to and then there are specific triggers for routes.

They don’t want to make another 1st beat: the flags in that game were a fucking nightmare for players and programmers. Even if he said 20 places, it was 20 in total not at all times. I don’t think it’ll be much more complex than a normal game.

The map addition sounds pretty fun, I did enjoy that in rewrite. I also enjoyed the dungeon crawler bits in Saya’s route. I do enjoy the mini games I feel it elevates it from a basic VN to something with more replay value.

2 Likes

I swear 1st beat did have a Yui bonus? The one in the apron?

She had at least two, I’m sure :sweat_smile:
but maybe her tokuten were announced only later on? I’ve honestly forgotten at this point

1 Like

They were all announced the same time, I remember it clearly.
Key just missed out Kamome because Key are being foolish

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no “Summer Pockets Memes” thread.

4 Likes

All Hot Pocket threads are meme threads, the way I see it. I mean, they make it so easy.

1 Like

And now Kamome has been announced so late I have to order the game twice, the way Key have handled preorder bonuses has been ridiculous ;-;