Summer Pockets - Pre-Release Discussion and Speculation

Well, setting itself is directly from Maeda, so any “twist” will be definitely in his style. Question is just how Niijima and Kai will portray it.
On other hand, isn’t “closed space”, already little overused in Key? :grinning:

The fact that VisualArtsUSA even bothered to announce the game on their English Facebook page makes me hopefuly for a localization in the future, or maybe even a simultaneous release.

1 Like

At this point I wouldn’t even be surprised, yeah! They’ve accepted the overseas market and it makes me happy to be a Key fan in this day and age

2 Likes

June 29 2018 is release date. Have any Key games not been delayed though?

2 Likes

I’m so excited! As for the art, seeing Izumi Tsubasu illustrating for Key is something I never thought I would see! Izumi Tsubasu is my favourite VN artist of all time, it’s just so bizarre to see in a Key game, because the CGs of Ao look like they have come straight out of a Palette game, since Izumi’s style pretty much defined Palette games.
Yuunon has never really done major character design like this before, so it’s really great to see someone new. I like Yuunon’s characters the best for sure!

Woah I didn’t expect it to release so soon! Super excited after seeing the new artwork in the magazine scans, I wonder if the pokemon-looking creature next to Ao in her CG is going to be the next Botan/Potato figure?

1 Like

It seems, that Summer Pocked will also go straight with the anime adaptation. And on top of that by KyoAni!

Umm… This doesn’t look very credible. Can you provide a more direct source like a VA tweet or Baba himself?

At very least anime tease seems legit:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-12-26/key-summer-pockets-game-reveals-june-29-release-teases-anime/.125781

Well… All I can say is I definitely won’t deny the possibility of an anime adaptation confirmed, even this early in time. Other VNs (like ISLAND and AoKana) have had their anime announcement before the respective VNs were released. About it being by KyoAni is a discussion for a different day.

As always, like all leaks and rumors, take this with a grain of salt :umu:

First link seems to be leak. ANN is pretty much confirmed info.

I make it a habit not to trust ANN 100% :yahaha: they’ve let me down before, they could let me down again

But again, I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually does get an anime adaptation.

No need, since it’s obvious they’re done with Key and are busy anyways. They have 3 anime series coming out next year, along with 3 new confirmed movies, not to mention they still have other Light Novel stories they could do. Plus, if there were ever a chance they’d work for Key again, they’d most likely do Tomoyo After rather than a new title.

I doubt it’s an anime series at all. It just wouldn’t make sense, since they’re already planning the Kud Wafter anime, supervising the project, and the other
studios they’ve worked with aren’t even suitable.

I’m pretty sure by “anime”, he might just mean that we’ll get animated scenes in the visual novel, whether that’d be something similar to Rewrite’s Moon OP, or cut-scenes, or even outside of the visual novel to build up to the hype.

Though since he mentioned smartphone, I’m guessing Summer Pockets is going to have something similar to Ignis Memoria/Dungeons & Takafumi’s.

Oh, but that girl who looked like Yusa definitely looks better colored. Her cape doesn’t look as awkward anymore either.

Anime plans confirmed legit. Animation by KyoAni debunked at least for now. (+ some new stuff about Shiroha):
http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/119505 (some pictures around maybe NSFW)

Nothing is confirmed. Stop reading shitty blogs. Pleb’s News Network made an incredibly convenient, borderline impossible, interpretation of Baba’s statement to come up with that clickbait title. They quote “captivate you with various worldviews through the visual novel, anime, smartphone, and music,” but leave out the subject of the sentence which isn’t the SP project but rather Key in general.

6 Likes

Whole page is about Summer Pocket. And Baba at this point works about anything regarding Key in this way:

So him already planning anime for Summer Pocket is nothing suprising. Important is but realize that “anime is planned” mean that it was not even greenlighted! Which mean nothing was even decided yet, except that anime WILL happen. But when, in what form, animated by who? Those are questions that are too soon to answer. So whole thing maybe is clickbait, but definitely not lie.

That’s a direct contradiction. An anime can’t happen without being greenlit and being planned is far from being equal to something that will actually happen, especially since Baba isn’t the one who decides an anime happens or not. There’s an entire production and committee process that goes behind making anime as a whole and it’s not just one person who pulls the strings/

And as mentioned, ANN is very heavily reliant on grabbing any news it can and then leaving the readers up to sorting the nonsense from the actual news so as far as niche news like this goes, it’s not a reliable source of anything but clickbait.

1 Like

Actually he DECIDES a lot of things. And if he says that “anime will happen”, then anime WILL happen. It was very same case with Rewrite, Kud Wafter and Planetarian. In all cases Baba declared anime plans long before they actually happened. So unlikely that this will be any different. All he needs now is compose said production committee, which I think, will not so hard in this case.

Ok, now something different. Key just released preview of Summer Pocket arts for C93 which shows pretty much what kind of atmosphere we can expect from heroines’ routes:

So which you like most?

3 Likes

clearly that’s how anime works, just say it and it happens, snappity snap the fingers et voila.

It’s not actually a decision that needs to be carefully taken in order to either boost sales or avoid sinking them entirely since anime is a medium with a lot of influence in Japanese media that goes through bloody loops just to get the slightest work adapted and properly advertised to pull the maximum benefits from it; some works even sinking because the anime didn’t meet adequate sales.

If you actually want people to believe that Baba affirmed that an anime will happen despite the risks it carries, then give us actually viable and trustworthy sources instead of random articles that don’t have a real leg to stand on with a reliable translation. That’s going to be necessary because otherwise, none of the works you mention count as examples considering they were anime adaptations of older works that already either proved their popularity and could bring more profit in or were crowd-funded to give explicit evidence that the fanbase wanted it. There’s nothing credible in defending it by saying “Baba said to do it so the anime medium does it”, either.

2 Likes