Summer Pockets - Pre-Release Discussion and Speculation

Another game with character designs by Yuunon Nagayama has been announced, to give an idea what his character design will be like.

http://www.campus.gr.jp/product/hatsudoro/

6 Likes

I’m curious to see what impact Touya Okano’s position as producer will have on the game’s story and characters. If I remember from when I peeked at his previous productions, he worked on a variety of yaoi titles. Writing the scenario for the Sunohara Siblings in Clannad was a bit of a change for him, and while he did a great job of matching the writing style of the other writers, I found the story itself to be uneven, the story relying on some questionable coincidences, like Sanae taking an interest in Sunohara and Tomoya’s problem or Sunohara’s disturbing refusal to take Mei’s “relationship” with an adult male as a big deal. What I’m pondering is how he will approach the male characters. Considering his background, are their particular archetypes in yaoi fiction he’s utilized before? And will they likely make their appearance in the way the males in this story will be characterized?

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to this new vn, the white haired girl looks a bit like kanade xP

Here are the scans from the latest Dengeki G’s with more details about the characters, and comments from the staff.

A small observation, it wasn’t obvious from the pictures, but Kamome has larger breasts than Ao. For some reason this caught my eye. :cold_sweat:

Also, the game’s location was apparently inspired by Ogijima, a small island with a lighthouse and two shrines. It sure looks like a nice place to spend the summer vacation.

11 Likes

Hey I just realized I never posted my thoughts on this yet… Oh well, better late then never :yahaha:

From what I read from the initial interview on Akiba Blog, it seems that this novel is going to feel very “nostalgic”… And I mean that in the most Japanese way possible. The other people Kai has talked to about the story have stated that reading it feels like they were reliving their own summer vacations. Going to the beach, catching bugs; little things like that.

This is good! It’s been a while since Key made something with a small-town vibe like this. Especially considering the more info we’ve recently received about the setting, that seems even more true now. I have no doubts that, somewhere down the line, the story will start to get more complex (it is conceptualized by Maeda, after all!) but I’m glad in knowing that it at least gives off a daily life vibe that we have missed from Key.

3 Likes

What I’m wondering now is whether or not Summer Pockets will follow the pattern established by every route-based Key VN since CLANNAD, that they have an overaching narrative connecting the routes, usually taking the form of a multiverse or metaverse or something.

Will Summer Pockets continue the pattern? Or will it try something completely different?

Also in terms of twists, I was talking with Biz and I feel like a horror atmosphere could be pulled off really well in a setting like this, but who knows.

EDIT: By the way, looks like Ao is Mion and Tsumugi is Satoko from Higurashi, aha.

4 Likes

I think this will be the case. It is a feature which has perhaps become a trademark for them. Even Angel Beats seems to have a true route planned. There is also the risk that the game is too short with only 4 heroin routes.

But above all, I think Key want really to do a true happy end for their stories. They seems even to have alter some elements in Rewrite+ to make the end more peaceful. For the curious people, I read that Kotarou remembers explicitlythe heroin paths at the end of Terra; and not only as a simple sense of familiarity.

If that happens, I’m almost certain that people will complain that they’re ripping off ISLAND, a recent game by FrontWing which had a similar setting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Finally complete translation of interview.

I knew that there was a lot more things. :grin:

1 Like

So uhh… Who translated this? And where did you get it from? I’d like to evaluate the validity of this translation, at least.

1 Like

Even if that translation is valid… we already knew all that! What “things” are you talking about that you didnt think we had?

1 Like

According to source, reddit user named jis33785.

Fuwanovel forum.

I don’t know how about you, but I learned few things that I didn’t knew before.
For example:

• When and how story was invented.
  • Exact extent of Maeda’s involvement and dynamics between writers of project.
  • Fact that 2nd Beat was postponed after release of this.
  • Irony that they actually don’t have written single line from scenario itself, and just made anouncement for sake of anouncement. So we will have to wait long before next update. :smiley:

And much more.
Also given by stated influence of Niijima on story and many mentions of “his style”, I won’t be surprised if this was more Utsuge game, than anything else.

We told you before that the interview said these things, but you didnt believe us simply because we didnt have a word-for-for translation.

Well duh.

The real irony is that you think that, because it doesnt say that anywhere. And even if it were true that they hadnt written a single line yet, as Kai explains, the hardest part is basically what you think of as story-boarding.

Niijima has never written a Utsuge before…

That’s not even fucking correct! I don’t feel like having anything more to do with this translation.

1 Like

You don’t said details like:

• Story being invented before winter 2015.
  • Jaw drop that everybody had once hearing Maeda’s base story.
  • That what Maeda concretely designed is setting, base story and ending.
  • Story is written mostly by Niijima and Kai, Hasama is supporter.
  • How creative team was brought together.
  • Etc.
    Is nice to summary primal content, but I’m always also interested in further details.

Kai’s comment at very end of interview.

Well, this is true. But still is little funny that they already decided announce project.

Not directly, but still some of his endings essentialy works that way. :cry:

And what is correct, then?

First question is about when they started. Second question is about how, since Tonokawa left the company, there was an empty slot after 1st. It was never the plan to release only AB! until its completion.

I wonder if they will intoduce some little games as in Little Busters or Mappy in Rewrite.
Some elements, as the pirate ship, might be used well for it.

1 Like

Well, some mini games would be nice, but I’m more interested in how multiple routes will be explained this time and whether there will be some game changing final route like Refrain or Moon/Terra.
Commonness of the entire premise definitely screams for that.

1 Like

I feel like the island will probably be an enigma in itself, like it’ll be made out of dreams or memories or something. Maybe all the characters are ghosts that have unresolved personal issues that they need to work through before they pass through to the other side.

I dunno I just think it’s too deliberate that it’s set in a closed-off space. Somehow it’s going to end up not being part of the real world.

4 Likes

I’m with Josef. An isolated setting is the perfect setup for mysteries

1 Like