Rewrite - Kotori Kanbe Route & Character Discussion

Man, I’m at a loss for words at this route. I guess I’ll start with Kotori’s character and work my way up.

I can’t exactly pinpoint a certain character archetype for Kotori. Yeah, she’s the childhood friend, but she genuinely feels like a character rather than an archetype, and that is something I can commend. Her lust for pocket change, her passion for gardening, and her passive friendship with Koutarou make her quite unique compared to the rest of the cast.

Now, her route doesn’t exactly develop her character, but it does show a new side of her that explains why she is so distant to Koutarou. The whole message of the route is that life, no matter how insignificant or artificial, is precious and not to be taken lightly. Ever since Kotori’s parents died, she spent a great deal of time shutting out her feelings and treating her familiars as tools rather than beings with feelings. These feelings also transfer to her personal life, where she distances herself from both Koutarou and Yoshino in order to not get too attached to them. Koutarou displays a strong affection for Kotori, but she refuses to cross the line she has set for herself, and eventually Koutarou gives up. But Yoshino calls him out, beating him down to the ground both physically and verbally, and criticizes his passive attitude of the situation. Koutarou realizes his faulty thinking, and becomes dedicated to finding and protecting Kotori. But when she finds her, she still refuses to get too attached to him. But Koutarou doesn’t give up.

This route also introduces Kagari, a familiar whose goal is the ‘salvation’ of the Earth. She is the main reason Kotori has her powers, and also why she has refused to commit to any relationship, be it friendly or romantic. She is somewhat drawn to Koutarou, if only because a piece of her ribbon is within him. Her attitude seems to show the malicious intent of her goal, but for the most part, she is shrouded in mystery.

Now to the juicy part: the emotional rollercoaster this plot had. This route easily toyed with my emotions like the molding of clay. Chibimoth’s death almost drove me to tears, as did the final scene where Kotori drags Koutarou’s dying body to the hospital in one final act of hope. I really have to give credit to Chiwa Saito’s performance in this route, not only for the wide range she gave Kotori, but also for her extremely convincing crying scenes. I truly felt bad for Kotori and Chibimoth during this route, and if my heart wasn’t made of iron, I doubt I would stop crying for them for a while.

The music also really shined in this route. Many of the songs fit the scenarios they were placed in, although I can barely recall them at the moment. Thank goodness I can listen to them in the gallery, at least.

Not much else I can say about this route, other than that I have a bit more respect for Yoshino now, and I want to know more about the organization Shizuru and Lucia are a part of. But alas, next up is Chihaya, so I’ll close by saying that Kotori’s route is a fantastic beginning to what is so far a very different and enjoyable take on the Key formula.

Rest in peace, Chibimoth. We will miss you dearly. ;_;7

7 Likes

I’m guessing you were able to unlock the extra scenes with Yoshino? Because those were the most memorable to me. In fact, because of that, when Yoshino appeared near the end, that’s when I started shedding tears. I say it jokingly that Yoshino is the star of the route, but his involvement was really emotionally impacting to me

Also Chibimoth da beeeeeestest~ Love that guy ;_;

Is there a way to avoid those scenes? There aren’t even any choices in Kotori’s route.

1 Like

[quote=“Pepe, post:61, topic:104”]
I’m guessing you were able to unlock the extra scenes with Yoshino?
[/quote]Extra scenes? I remember Yoshino having quite a bit of screen time in this route, but I don’t know if it’s triggered by anything.

It is! Specifically, (yoshino alternate scene) finding out that Yoshino is in love with Kotori. I believe you have to make certain common-route choices to get it

1 Like

If that’s true then it’s probably the choice when you first meet Winter Fang, That’s the only option I’ve never picked and it fits with Yoshino.
Okay apparently it’s true. If you choose to lie to Winter Fang you don’t get the scene with Kotarou and Yoshino settling things(One of the many times they do that.), instead it’s just Kotarou buying food since WInter Fang did it otherwise.

2 Likes

[quote=“Pepe, post:64, topic:104”]
Specifically, (yoshino alternate scene) finding out that Yoshino is in love with Kotori.
[/quote]Oh, I did see that scene. Guess I got all the flags necessary for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Mama, peel this pear for me.”

8 Likes

http://puu.sh/gXRQD.ogg
z2039_000443.ogg

7 Likes

Out of all the routes, her route is my favorite. I read her route first so all the jargon was introduced here and I have to say that they did a good job of keeping it at a basic level.

Anyway, the thing that makes Kotori’s so well done is that they were appealing to emotions which made the latter part of her story so sad. I mean, let’s look at the things that happened in her route:

1. She lost her parents at very young age. Thus, she had to grow up by herself with parents who act almost like robots.
  2. She is surrounded with things she can’t get close with. Be it familiars or friends. This is because she knows that when her duty of guarding the key comes up, she will leave all of them to protect the Key, breaking down all the relationships she tried so hard to make. So, in her point of view, it’s kinda painful that you want to get close to these people yet you forcefully choose not to because you know the pain you’ll have to suffer if you choose to do so. I might have to add the fact the she couldn’t fall in love with Kotarou because he might just be an “illusion” she made up for herself all this time. Which reminds me, did Kotarou successfully prove to Kotori that his emotions weren’t shaped by Kotori? Proof: Shizuru’s route. If Kotori’s actions don’t say that she still liked Kotarou, I’ll eat my boot
  3. Her “closest” familiars spoke at the end. Those scenes were just like adding salt to wounds. 'Nuff said.

Yeah, I’m a sucker for these suffering characters.

2 Likes

Not 100% in her route. The fact that he is able to chose other girls, in other routes, proves that he is not controlled by her. However when he chooses someone else he is not with Kotori so it’s a lose/lose situation for her.

Harvest Fiesta it is then! I heard it has the romance which her route lacked.

Actually, it’s not that bad for her. Kotori might have a crush on Kotarou, but these feelings of her are far lower than her fear of Kotarou being her familiar. If Kotarou chooses other girl, it will help her get over this feeling. I think she’s totally okay with Kotarou being with other girl. Proof of that is in Shizuru’s common route branch: after Shizuru and Kotarou started getting closer, she even shipped them.

Not sure but I would spoiler tag the kotarou being her familiar .
I halfly agree with you. Okay maybe she does have crush on Kotarou, but hey we have to realise Kotori is just a gril too and she has her own feelings too. I mean sometimes feelings can be more powerful than actions.
What I mean is that if Kotarou chooses someone else than Kotori, I can imagine her crying and being alone/being sad. While on the other hand if he chooses Kotori, I feel like shes going to be happy inside but won’t admit it. Cuz… well you know the fear of him being her familiar .

Not at all. There isn’t anything in Rewrite that suggests Kotori is dying in love for Kotarou. It’s just a small crush. She wouldn’t cry because of that. She was even happy that Shizuru and Kotarou were together and she shipped them.

Well, it is easy to “ship” two people on the outside. Plus, since it’s not her route, it would be easy for her to hide her emotions off screen. But, if I recall, her actions which lead to that were somewhat hesitant. I mean if you can recall an anime persona wherein if I like the girl but I just want to make her happy, then I’d do everything to make her happy, even if it means losing her to someone else. I think this is what Kotori’s doing at the moment.

In Shizuru’s route She shipped both of them because she rejected him twice. Stealing him from someone whom he loves would be selfish and I don’t think she would act because of that

2 Likes

Yeah Kotori does like to push Kotarou towards other girls proooobably because she wants to confirm that he isn’t her familiar after all. Which is why the ending makes so much sense because he just gets up and walks to her after everything has ended.

That’s part of Kotori’s route isn’t it, so no need for spoiler tag?

Quoting something from Saenai Heroine: She’s making a brave face. She’s a girl, after all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For 7 years Kotarou has been Kotori’s sole connection to human society and a normal life. She constantly ignores her duties as a druid because of him. Due to guilt she wants Kotarou to be happy no matter what. So she wants him to be a part of her life and that has been true for a long time. If it was all guilt then she would just have a bird watch him. Whether you think of it as genuine love or not is up to you, but losing Kotarou would be painful for Kotori

2 Likes

But wait, doesn’t that mean (if ever Kotori does have a crush on Kotarou in other routes) that she’s confirming that he’s not her familiar but also the also lost the chance to be with him?

Such is the paradox of Kotori’s emotions, yes.

In a way, aren’t we all like this? Do we not feel that, sometimes, the people who love us do so not because of who we are but because of the circumstance? Is that not a paradox that we humans ask ourselves constantly?

I’m thinking too much :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like