Rewrite - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I’m looking forward to this. I’ll probably end up watching it all the way through just because I want to see exactly how they’ll handle everything. Plus it gives me an(other) excuse to play Rewrite again~

If this were a really bad adaptation, then at least more people would know about Rewrite. (I’m pretty much in agreement with @Mow here.) Plus, realistically speaking, there are gonna be special limited edition BD boxes which will include goodies for collectors, so there’s that to look forward to as well!

Also, everyone is saying the Grisaia anime was terrible. Disregarding the source material, though, I found it rather enjoyable. Granted, I’m not very critical of things in general. (Except bad LN TLs. FFS the point is to make it readable.)

My general disposition with regard to newcomers seeing it is a carefree “everybody knows adaptations are shit and not perfectly reflective of the original work; or someone will tell them.”

Okay, after a long day, I finally have time to sort through some of my thoughts on this announcement. First of all, yeah, an actually good adaptation of Rewrite is not going to happen. This is simply an issue with the differences in limitations of the media. However, when I think about what makes Rewrite so great, in my view, it’s the story it has to tell. With Little Busters, for example, it was all Refrain and the emotional impact of that scene. But with Rewrite, while there are twists and surprises along the way as things come together, these are not fundamental to appreciating the overall message that Rewrite wishes to tell. Furthermore, as I have said before, I believe Moon route to be the most important part of Rewrite. A good adaptation of Moon would, at the very least, convey the core story of Rewrite, even if this means other parts such as surprise twists or plot points are sacrificed (an inevitability no matter what path you choose).

As such, I think Rewrite has the ability to forego some of the twists related to Moon route in exchange for a stronger adaptation and explanation of Moon. It might be feasible to smash things together from different routes to help concentrate down important plot points, especially if we consider infinite parallel universes where parts of different routes we read may actually occur in one route in other universes Ironically, they could use the plot device they used in the LB anime with “flashbacks” to separate routes as well to help convey what is happening. I won’t go into more detail because I haven’t thought it through much myself, but this is also all on the basis of my extreme bias towards Moon being the true core of Rewrite. You’re going to lose stuff, and I think that’s inevitable, but if Moon route gets conveyed well, I think I might actually be satisfied, though I admit, this is less an ideal and more what I see as actually feasible given stuff like budget limitations meaning it’ll probably be 2 cour.

Now, onto the other problem: 8bit. Yes, 8bit has a terrible track record. However, even after the Grisaia debacle, I still think some of the complaints are unfair. Kajitsu was a terrible adaptation of the VN, sure, but I still claim that it was reasonably well done given the constraint of 1 cour. If you’re going to stuff ~50 hours of content into 1 cour, it’ll be terrible and/or have massive cutting no matter how good your storyboarding is. With that kind of constraint, I honestly think they did an okay job. The best job? Probably not. But the ceiling was already forced really low once it was decided to be 1 cour. Let’s be honest: if Rewrite gets only 1 cour, it’ll be terrible no matter who adapts it because 1 cour is just way too short. That’s what happened to Grisaia, so I think the blame on 8bit is excessive. Another note, which I mentioned when I was defending 8bit before Grisaia aired is how they did garbage like IS and Walkure. Well, the source material of those is complete garbage. I don’t think making garbage anime out of garbage novels is indicative of anything. But yes, 8bit has a terrible record. I don’t think they are good or anything; I am worried too but the criticisms are not being completely fair.

Tanaka Romeo is doing the storyboards. I love Tanaka, especially after reading Rewrite, but as others have said, he has no experience with anime. I’m worried, but at the same time, we have nothing to judge his anime script ability so let’s try to be fair and not assume one way or the other.

@Aspirety if you decide to do anything when the anime airs, I’m your guy :smiley:

Two different perspectives. Some people say Rewrite sold poorly because it sold way less than expected. On the other hand, all VN sales have been doing poorly, so it still sold really well, relative to other sales at the time.

Finally, let us all agree on one very important thing: if this scene isn’t adapted, it will be a travesty.

6 Likes

There’s too much shit coming out. I can’t do bookclubs for everything ^^;

We’ll have something, but don’t count on it being a bookclub.

Not how Anime production goes, waiting for it to be finished before airing is not a thing, a good chunk will be done before airing to give them buffering time, but they’ll be animating it as it’s airing be it 1 or 2 cour.

Studio Shaft in particular had a streak where they would literally not have finished episodes by their expected airdate.

A weekly thread like Charlotte is enough isn’t it?
No reason to podcast it at least.

That’s what I’m thinking, yeah.

It’s ok. Chances are the anime will be terrible anyway and I’d just complain how terrible it is.

1 Like

Had to comment on this. Brotha from another motha… I love it!! :laughing:

I’ve definitely stamped my ticket for the hype train! My only fear is that we won’t get enough episodes, since Rewrite is pretty huge…Pacing is always the most difficult part about a good adaptation. But if I’m perfectly honest, because I’ve already read the VN even really poor pacing wouldn’t hurt my enjoyment, since I can fill in the blanks with my own knowledge and just bask in the glory of seeing my favorite scenes fully animated.

I prefer to celebrate with unbridled optimism, but I also don’t get angry when things don’t live up to expectations. So…HYPE!

It’s probably better to not do bookclubs for adaptations anyway. We could have a Rewrite book club for the novel somewhere down the road.

Why are people talking about how Romeo Tanaka being on script but not Kai? I completely forgot Kai is also doing the script until I saw a post that mentioned how he’s also there. Is it because Kai didn’t actually write anything on Rewrite?

I guess that would be why. But it’s certainly interesting that Key sent two of their writers to write for this series. I guess they want to ensure it’s a faithful adaptation.

We all know the anime won’t be to the heights of the novel (or whatever you imagined while reading it), but hey, I can finally show what Rewrite is to all my friends who don’t like reading too much and say they don’t have time to read a VN. And that’s great news! I have only 1 friend who has read Rewrite, and once I trolled him with a fake Rewrite anime announcement and he said it was the best day in his life since the day he finally got a job. He thought the link I sent him yesterday was just another joke…

The Studio chosen has caused a lot of controversy but, being sincere, after seeing the adaptation of Grisaia (I haven’t read it’s novel) some time ago, when asked what studio I’d prefer to make Rewrite, I said 8-bit (this was on a Facebook Rewrite fans group around one year ago). Heck, just one week ago I referred to Grisaia as Rewrite for adults in a joke.

I just hope they don’t fanservice so I can watch the show with my family like with Charlotte.

I hope the fanservice is heavy so I can at least get a jerk laugh out of that.

1 Like

I literally can’t stop thinking about this. I’ve been listening to the soundtrack for the past two days and I’m still excited.

1 Like

That would be like adding insult to injury. If it really happens, I’m blaming you.

6 Likes

Oh Well, it’s just the same time that I’m finding a new Key Anime. I will be waiting for it. :smile:

Excuse you! Oppai route is the most important part! They have to animate it!

2 Likes

Oppai route would be the ultimate OVA.

3 Likes

I like all of the shenanigans involved in getting there more than I like the ending itself.

Nom nom nom
interesting, lets see how this one goes

5 Likes

I am one of the minority that loved Little Busters. Both source and adaptation.

I would have been perfectly content if JC Staff got Rewrite too :stuck_out_tongue:
I know people are going to roast me for it, but try to respect my thoughts at the very least.

tl;dr JC Staff are over-hated in my opinion, and they were one of my first picks for Rewrite.

I watched season 1 of LB in 2013 and enjoyed it much more than any other other Key VN adaptation (and Angel Beats) It was my favourite from that point on. And then I went on to read the VN having loved the anime so much, and I loved it all the same. And then watched the anime of Refrain.
People give JC Staff flack for Rin2 (Perfectly understandable) however they at the very least adapted every other route to a satisfactory standard (You’re free to disagree) and included every character (RIP Kappei). Also the changes to the ending, sure some may hate it, but what it did was remove ambiguity and ‘asspulls’ from the original VN ending, to which anime-onlys would have slaughtered the series for if the anime got the same ending 1:1, despite how much VN readers loved the original ending.

That said, I pray Rewrite turns out to be 8-Bit’s breakthrough series. I love this one too much to see it get butchered.

2 Likes