Rewrite - Anime Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE. Finally it’s here; I been waiting for this forever. I can’t wait to see Shizuru, Lucia and Akane being animated. Hopefully with this anime release they will also announce rewrite to be translated in english.

@Kotarou it translates to finally rewrite is being turned into an anime. People of kansai, there is still the last episode of charlotte, hope you enjoy it. I am soo happy. When Rewrite was still being made, there was talks with the director for an anime; now they have been granted. Thanky you very much director.

Though that is what I have roughly translated with my basic knowledge of japanese some words might be off but this is the general idea.

OHHH ! Thank you !! I’m glad that Key supports each other even if they’re not involved with anything in it. Like Charlotte supports the announcement of the Rewrite anime, Itaru supports Charlotte, etc.

Awww, I was hoping for J.C. Staff. Unpopular opinion: They did a great job with LitBus. I mean, I don’t love the way they handled the ending, and the Kurugaya and Rin2 routes were way too watered down, but for the most part, they managed to keep in all the important stuff.

What I’m confused about is why is everyone assuming they’re going to try to make the plot linear? Did it say that somewhere and I’m just missing it? I don’t see any way they could possibly adapt it without tackling each route on its own like the Higurashi anime did, seeing as the fate of the entire world changes depending on which route you take. They literally could not make the story linear without changing the entire plot.

But you know what? Even if the anime is a major disappointment, at least it will give Rewrite more publicity and make people want to play the VN, right?

1 Like

Probably because of 2 major reasons

1. That just what anime tend to do. There are exceptions but the majority change them to linear (all the Key adaptations are)
  2. Judging off 8bit’s adaptation of the Grisaia series they completely rewrote a route and cut all the romance to make it linear. Again they did that once so doesn’t mean they will again it’s just most of the evidence is pointing to this case.

Rewrite won’t be linear though. It’s a basic fact, everyone knows that Moon wouldn’t make sense if rewrite was linear.

Bleeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rewrite’s quality is questionable at best, this is only going to cut it down to worse levels. I still agree with the general opinion that Rewrite is unadaptable, so I can’t see it being done well.

Also, the studio announcement is somehow even worse than seeing J.C doing Little Busters.

urgh.

After taking the time to swallow most of my disgust, I’ve decided I’ll be watching it if and only if Psychic Lover do the OP.

That said, the only good thing to come out of this announcement the the inevitable WS set to follow. Thank you no-one.

2 Likes

I personally am excited to see this adaptation, even if it happens to not turn out well.

The biggest problem is the representation of the work to newcomers.

I can’t tell you how many times people (friends included!) have told me that Little Busters sucks, or Fate/stay night sucks, or AIR sucks, just because people only see the anime adaptations and consequently don’t touch the games.

It really hurts. It hurts knowing that, first of all, they insult the IP because it wasn’t represented well. It hurts knowing that they will never be able to experience Little Busters the way I experienced Little Busters. A bad adaptation steals away that experience from people.

That’s what worries me about a Rewrite adaptation.

EDIT: Yes, one of my best friends thinks Little Busters + Refrain is awful because he saw the anime. He can never unlearn the things he saw in the anime, and that basically completely and irreversibly ruins it for him because he can’t experience the game with a fresh mind.

4 Likes

I think they could do it pretty easily. Adapt the character routes in an anthology style, similar to Amagami SS and then adapt Moon and Terra as a second season to tie it all together and explain the first season.

3 Likes

I say this every single time people complain about “shitty” animation studios: you have no right to blame an animation studio for their faults except for animation quality.

So to all naysayers, let me ask you a question: What exactly was horrible about the Grisaia adaptation?
Was it the animation quality? Then you might be able to expect equally horrible animation quality from this upcoming anime.
Was it the interaction between characters, or the overall mood of the series? Then you can blame Tenshou, the director, and expect it to have equally terrible mood throughout. But I do know Kiniro Mosaic was terrific at keeping its own lighthearted mood, and if they can keep that same mood during the common, I’ll be happy.
Was it the actual plotline of the anime? Then blame the people who made the storyboard. We are having Tanaka Romeo himself do the storyboard of the anime, and I’ll be damned if he allows his own story to get butchered in the most important plot points.

There are so many other parts of the staff that are still a mystery to us: who is the producer, and will he allow Romeo to make the story what he wants it to be? Who is in charge of music, and will they place the BGMs correctly throughout the series?

There are sooooo many other factors when it comes to anime other than just the studio, so thinking that an anime’s story will be shit because of the studio is just wrong. Why do you think studios never have consistent quality in their works? Brcause the staff changes from series to series.

So I’ll reserve my own judgment for when I either watch Grisaia for myself and point out what is bad with it, or know who else will be working on this project.

10 Likes

Woo woo, Rewrite is coming back. I could feel the nostalgia coming back already.
Even though i’m going on a limb here, I hope it won’t turn out like how Little Busters!
did. Some may argue otherwise, but that’s just my opinion. Still, my adorable Kotori is back

While I did rush in with the hate too I agree with this.

Has he ever done an anime before though? I don’t see any credits for it and we’ve seen Jun Maeda trying to make anime twice when he’s a writer but not for anime. I’d also say the budget is a big deal in this. Obviously if they only have the money for 12 episodes no matter how good the writers are Rewrite cannot be told in 12 episodes.

1 Like

This.

I think second to @Kaze (The Rewrite Guy), I’m probably one of the biggest Rewrite fans in the Key fan community. That said, I watched the Little Busters! anime first, and it completely ruined my subsequent reading of the VN. For VN readers watching the anime for simple fan service (probably me), that’s well and fine, but if they attempt to render the complex story-weaving into a completely different and linear anime, it’s going to ruin some of the surprise enjoyment factor for newcomers.

I think a good adaptation would required one of two things:

1. A modest adaptation of a single arc in one cour (probably Kotori).
  2. A multi-cour, 2-season adaptation of all arcs as brand new stories followed by the closing Moon and Terra.

Option 1 is the most doable, and what I’m hoping 8-Bit does. Based on what everyone has said about the studio, I think they could pull this off potentially, though maybe not. Who knows. I think they will probably attempt to go the Kanon route, though, and that would be a shame.

Option 2 would basically be the VN adapted literally. This would be the only way to create a truer representation of the intricacies of the original. This option, however, like Clannad, would require a large budget and a lot of episodes. I don’t think this will have either.

If the generated hype can get more people to read the VN, though, I’m all for that. If they do a good job of Option 1, then I could see that happening. We’ll see, though. I’m not getting my hopes up. shrugs

I would actually like that idea of a one cour adaptation of a single route. It’ll be short, sweet, and they’d know to cut away what they don’t need for their goals. I guess the most important thing is to see a goal from the directors on where they want to bring this adaptation.

Also, there are a bunch of other people you’d have to fight for second biggest rewrite fan :wink:

2 Likes

This would be really swell, but there’s pretty much zero chance of this happening >.<

I think the entirety of Rewrite can be done in 2cours, with the first cour being parts of the girls routes. In a fashion similar to CLANNAD, even though some of the routes are mutually exclusive, you can strip the romance and try to incorporate parts of each route into a larger Kotori or Akane-centric route. That said, I have no idea how you would do that, but I would rather this than see 2 eps dedicated to each main heroine…

Maybe you can begin the second cour with Akane’s route, since that seems to tie directly into Moon and Terra.

1 Like

The biggest problem with linear isn’t romance but the fact that Kotarou needs to be on Guardian and fight Gaia in Shizuru’s route (and kinda not really Lucia’s), Gaia and fight Guardian in Chihaya and Akane’s routes and Neutral fighting both in Kotori’s. .

2 Likes

I initially woke up today excited for the final Charlotte episode (which was okay), I open Kazamatsuri.org and find out a Rewrite anime was being made.

I was instantly excited, I started screaming in my head under the covers HAHA.

More importantly, I do have faith in 8-bit. I don’t think Key would give such a daunting task to a studio they have no faith in. Unless they were that desperate to get Rewrite into the anime scene to boost sales of the VN. At the very least, I expect something I can enjoy.

I can be a blind fan, and I get the most enjoyment out of being one. Let me have my Shizuru route adapted, my video-game lover Akane animated, and ULTRA YOSHINO music video in the flesh.

Edit: Could anyone give me a rough idea of how long after an announcement do they usually air the anime? I don’t think my heart can wait two years.

2 Likes

Charlotte took about six months, so my guess is Sring 2016. Just a random guess though ;p

but wouldn’t it take longer if it was 2 cour or more?

Honestly I think just being introduced to it period is really important, I didn’t know about umineko until the anime, even though the anime was questionable and I started with it, I ended up switching to the vn because everyone was telling me to make the switch. So yeah some may not do that but some may, there were people who actually liked the umineko anime and those people where told to try out the visual novel. I was more into the anime because of higurashi, I didn’t really even think of the vn because that was what brought me into vns, umineko lead to little busters which lead to everything else…

Anyways having read Rewrite or not I think an anime is a good thing to get more exposure if you haven’t and if you have, it is just a bonus treat. For me an anime is just another thing released like a figure, a T-shirt, manga or whatever you like to buy… It is just more things you have the option to enjoy nobody is forcing you to watch it, it doesn’t detract from anything imo. Oh it might hurt its rep, oh yeah its rep to people who would of never even heard of it otherwise…

It isn’t that I don’t care about the quality it is just I am glad there will be a chance for a rewrite anime, and even if worse comes to worse it is still another rewrite product being made. But I don’t think it will come to that, we haven’t had much news and everyone freaks out at first. It’ll be fine quit your worrying I say… People worry too much just wait and see. More news will increase or decrease my hype, but regardless I still want it, more rewrite stuff lets go.

Oh this might sound strange but I actually like to check out vns that had a sketchy anime but people seem to like the vn… I actaully really came to read Air not because of the anime’s good points, but because the anime bad points; it was rushed and felt like there was more to it.

3 Likes