Rewrite Anime - Episode 8 "My Name Is Kagari-chan"

The episode seems quite well and the extra scene are consistent.
Nevertheless, the atmosphere is still much less dark than in the game. This is not necessarily a bad thing. if it adds interaction between the characters.
My regret concerns the character of Akane who seems less cold and more friendly. If I remember correctly, she was much more aloof with the others after the serious business begins, even with Shimako.

New OP isnā€™t as interesting as the first one, so Iā€™ll just go over some easy-to-miss screens. Thereā€™s some insane fading in the part after Sakuya morphs into a dragon(?); at one point there are 5 images superimposed on each other. For characters, we have Akane, Kashima, Nishikujo, Imamiya, and Yoshino. Hopefully Iā€™m wrong, but it looks like these images are supposed to be inside Kagariā€™s head.

Thereā€™s also a random shot of some fighter jets, and when Esaka twists his sword, he totally points the edge towards himself.

http://imgur.com/a/d1FQ0

3 Likes

Alright well it would have been hard to follow up that last episode.

I donā€™t really have any big complaints about this episode, save for the humor focus on it. With the pacing the series has been going at so far slowing down like that is kind of jarring and it feels like that time could have been spent on something more important.

I see this episode as serving to decompress and let the tension go after that last episode and Iā€™d say it does an overall decent albeit lazy job at doing this.

Itā€™s been really hard to form coherent thoughts on this episode for me. Some of the things I like are also the things Iā€™m having trouble digesting, mainly Kagariā€™s personality. On itā€™s own, I think itā€™s entertaining and actually pretty good, but on the other hand, the fact that it belongs to Kagari, and her importance to Rewrite, is what I have a problem with.

If I were to look at this episode alone, not taking into account what consequences it has later on, Iā€™d say I definitely enjoyed it. I laughed, and even the moment where Kotarou gets teary eyed over hearing from Kotori got to me a decent amount.

As for where the anime will go from hereā€¦ I have no idea, and my predictions are limited. Itā€™s going to be interesting, no matter what happens. (Although, interesting doesnā€™t necessarily mean good)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the OP and ED. Really, really like both. Iā€™ve heard ā€œEnd of The Worldā€ quite a few times, but it works quite well with the visuals that they had. The ED sounds nice, thatā€™s for sure, but the visuals for that were derp-y just plain weird to me, despite the symbolism.

1 Like

Harvest Festa Invasion Confirmed!

I repeat,

Harvest Festa Invasion Confirmed!!
(kudos for people who get that reference)

Truth to be told, there is little reason for Kagariā€™s haywire personality change in Harvest Festa, other than itā€™s a fan disk and the writers and CV are all having great fun.

But story wise, it may be possible that (Rewrite/Rewrite HF Spoilers) [spoiler]Given Kagariā€™s ability to adapt knowledge, she spent too long time compared to the original Visual Novel around Koutarou and Co. Thus adapting too much of Occult Club from them. And since we all know how weird the members of Occult Club could be, itā€™s only natural Kagari adapted all the weirdness.

To me, she almost feels like a ā€œout-thereā€ Kotori in this episode, [/spoiler]not that itā€™s a bad thing,

Also, a moment of respect for the Guardian Duo who successfully defeated a monster that took the entire Occult Club multiple times to beat in Rewrite HF, great job.

2 Likes

This episode was relaly fun to watch. I loved the new opening and ending songs, the mv was very beautiful, The comedy for this episode was really great, I greatly enjoyed kagariā€™s use of her ribbons as a crane and when she invaded kotarous school; Creamy Kagarin confirmed jk.The second half was quite intresting as we got to see what each side though of each other and I have noticed the cg/fight scene animations have improved from last episode. I really hope they develope further on kotoriā€™s thought process and interactions and thought process of Akane and Shimako.

I personally didnā€™t like the complete personality change for Kagari, though it seems interesting/funny in its own way. Theyā€™re taking this story way further from the original VN stories than I expected, so Iā€™m not sure what to think. It has potential, but it definitely wonā€™t be anything like the experience the VN provided for us. Kagariā€™s new personality is basically the ā€œideal loli characterā€ for the anime viewers. I just hope the new story can make up for it.

One more thing is that the episode was kind of all over the place, constantly switching between completely separate things, I feel like the show could have been directed much better overall.

1 Like

(Rewrite HF)Thereā€™s a route in Harvest Festa where Kagari pretty much acts like this. She calls herself Miracle-chan and spends her days manipulating the student body into believing that her ribbons are the pinnacle of fashion and that feecof should be consumed by everyone.

3 Likes

Sheā€™s not this silly. She still tells Kotarou to not bother with her and have a fulfilling harvest festival. Miracle Kagari still has a gloomy side to her.

Kagari is amazingly cute in this episode :heart: Then again Iā€™m also extremely biased for HanaKana.
That Kapyun sound she made around 13:00~ and really every other sound she made was great

Does Suzaki sound different are am I just crazy?
Also I guess this where seeing a novel turn into a video format turns into a put down for imagination. I always imagined Takasago as a super upper heavy bodied guy and Suzaki as a little more aged.[quote=ā€œSonic112003, post:7, topic:3114ā€]
I think that was Takasago
[/quote]

Yeah I would say that is him with the way his ears look. THEY LOOK LIKE ACTUAL DUMPLINGS!!!

Also I never really payed to much attention to Inoue in the VN because she didnā€™t have a sprite so I didnā€™t think much of her but she is pushing for second best girl for me at the moment

3 Likes

The poseā€¦so close, inspiration from MasaKaga confirmed

Aspi.
Aspi can you not see?
Aspi this is Oppai Route Kagari.

The constant references to Akaneā€™s chest. Kagari acting like this.
Do you not see, the Anime is not doing Terra, or Moon. The Anime is adapting the Oppai route ending.
Itā€™s always been the canon ending in my heart, to see that the Anime producers agree with me is wonderful.

I wouldnā€™t call it the Rewrite I love, but itā€™s not the Rewrite I hate.
Afterall, the Rewrite I love is dead in this adaptation, theyā€™re killing off all the boss battles from it, weā€™ll probably get Midou at best.
But itā€™s not spouting that pretentious garbage and expecting me to respect the awful writing either, so I donā€™t hate it.

An earlier episode already established a relationship between two characters with those names, theyā€™re clearly going out at this point and some guy seemed to have voiced his disapproval with a powerful uguu AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BIZARRE BACKGROUND CHARACTER RUNNING GAG KANON REFERENCE THIS IS INCREDIBLE.

Iā€™d give the episode a 10 but they skipped the actual fuck out of the best not Sakuya Route scene in the VN with Inoue is it sucks and I want three months salary worth of Frecof in compensation.

5 Likes

Iā€™m liking this direction they are taking with Kagari. Her character wasnā€™t developed well at all in the game, now she feels like a person and a character we can feel for. The direction is working too because Kotarou feels really impartial to both sides where I never feel that until later.

The opening is a much better timed this go around and the ending is nice since they didnā€™t try too much.

Look forward to the other routes in this story coming through.

I have to say, Iā€™m loving the adaptation so far, I think itā€™s actually doing wonders for a VN that was overly-big and full of inconsistencies, butā€¦NOW I donā€™t have any idea on how itā€™ll go.

I was sure they would acknowledge the route-split and weā€™d get into routes individually, but now I just donā€™t know. The most interesting part is that they are showing quite a lot of foreshadowing and plot details from every route, while doing something very different.

Are they seriously going to try to ā€œomni-runā€ everything? If so, quite a lot will be lost, but hey, the original content is showing itself to be quite interesting so far.

1 Like

The case is that Rewrite cannot be adapted like CLANNAD or Little Busters does.
Both works, while has lots of heroine routes, they donā€™t affect each other and the core story follows a certain heroineā€™s route.
However, Rewriteā€™s routes cannot co-exist, so either they choose a route and cut out everyone elseā€™s, or do a brand new retelling. Youā€™re looking at a brand new retelling.

3 Likes

Doing all girls would take too much time, so they made a new story. At least thatā€™s what they call it, but it looks more like theyā€™ll take points from mainly Chihaya and Akaneā€™s routes and make that a single story.

They confirmed they are making a whole new story?

Yeah, way before the anime aired.Last week, all their tweets were ā€˜blabla original route blabla.ā€™

Well, thatā€™s disappointing and kinda cool at the same time. After all, not even VN readers know quite what to expect now.

I havenā€™t played Harvest Festa, so I wouldnā€™t know, but isnā€™t it meant to be played after the events of the main VN?

Iā€™m guessing you mean if the story is a continuation of the original. The answer to that would mostly no. HF has 6 scenarios, and only 2 of those are direct continuations of routes.