Rewrite Anime - Episode 3 "Welcome, Supernatural Phenomena"

Discussion topic for Episode 3 of the Rewrite anime, which premiered on the 16th of July, 2016. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Daisuki in Most of Europe
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

2 Likes

Rewrite 3.
The episode was good overall, they used some good animations sometimes and they animated some Scenes that I really wanted to see animated.
However despite the episode being so good, I had a hard time watching rewrite 3.

From now on I’ll be listening the reasons.
I feel like they are rushing the scenes, I know it’s a 13 eps anime and just like I said in my 1st episode’s review, the best way is to rush the anime. However in episode 3 I feel like they are trying to fill the 20 mins with scenes just to satisfy the fans. I mean it’s great to see these scenes animated, but personally I’d prefer one detailed scene over a lot of rushed ones in an episode. (even if it means skipping some Scenes that aren’t related to the story). I know that satisfying the fans is great, but still this is bothering me.

The second reason is, they are trying to reveal somethings and give a lot of hints in this episode.
One of the reasons I like rewrite for is how they made some things secrets until a very late point in the game. But here we see that they’ve showed Sakuya in his battle outfit, gave some hints about Shizuru and Esaka… And again they gave some other hints about Sakuya.
That doesn’t bother me much cuz I know that “this isn’t the rewrite we knew” but still I want to see some mysteries ;-;
Also, starting with Lucia and Shizuru makes it clear they are going to introduce Gardian first but does that mean that they will keep Kotori and kagari for the end… Since I really expected them to start with Kotori

But as I said, overall the episode was entertaining and the comedy was great, I’m really liking the show until now.

4 Likes

You have some pretty good points overall! For the mystery aspect, while I don’t think people will even figure out the mysteries if they haven’t read the VN, the VN shows it very differently, where you never even think that some characters are as important as they are. The anime does seem to hint at the importance of characters really early on. Not like it’s a spoiler or anything, but it changes the ~shocking factor~ that I think many people had from the VN

I don’t think that makes it clear in any way. They could be showing Lucia and Shizuru now, but then going off of a completely different tangent for the next episodes and the main story :wink:

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoy this episode and I do agree that they are pleasing the VN readers with the scenes were familiar with but overall it was nice watching those scenes animated. Although it is only 13 episodes for now, it would make sense that they have to be able to get to the real plot of the story and I won’t complain about that. It was nice seeing Sakuya animated and although I didn’t like him from the beginning because of how he hated Kotarou a lot from the VN, he still looks cool and he’s handsome. It was also hilarious when they made the quest to search for the tsuchinoko and trying to prove its existence with unexpected results. I still think Shizuru is one of my favorite cutest character and especially the way she acts embarrassed in front of Kotarou. :blush:

Other than that, it was amazing seeing Esaka and Gennady along with the others chatting happily with Kotarou and Shizuru with their usual conversation as well. I really did love this episode and probably later on we will see how that might change real soon as there will be further development.

2 Likes

So we got Sakuya, Shizuru and Lucia events (cute), club activities, Rewriting, Dogs, blonde robe guy, Esaka & the middle-aged men gang.

Using the blonde robe guy was an obvious move. Midou is an easy to use villain that can be antagonized without affecting Kotarou’s relationship to any of the heroines. He can just show up occasionally and be a threat, become Kagari’s Canon fodder like Krivoy Rog or go all the way up to boss status if they need one.

The rewriting scene wasn’t nearly as cool as Tanaka’s narration in the VN, which is kind of a letdown. They did deliver the bare minimum of information, but still… Why not even use the accelerator metaphor like last time?

Too bad they didn’t animate the principal’s speech ^^

Is it just me, or does Kotarou seem like a total womanizer, especially in this episode?

8 Likes

well 3rd was great the animation improved a lot since second chapter so that’s fine but i have huge problem with lucia
why is the anime showing lucia as an annoying character that is only there to punch kotarou, i mean she act like a cliche tsundere the whole time and i know that in the common route she is annoying sometimes but at the same time she has some great scenes and in my opinion she is the best character in the visual novel

it’s a shame that the anime won’t adapt the routes but then why don’t they just give her the great personality she has in the vn and not that cliche tsundere attitude

also this 3rd one did not show kotori as much as we deserve and i mean she’s like the second main

but yes the 3rd chapter was great

2 Likes

I felt like this was the most solid episode so far. It was really rushed but I felt like they did a pretty good job at condensing information.[quote=“Naoki_Saten, post:5, topic:2977”]
Why not even use the accelerator metaphor like last time?
[/quote]

I hope they are just saving that for later. They kept things pretty vague in this episode, giving just enough info for the viewer to get the basics of his power. There was enough (VN)Sakuya in this episode that I hope he plays a significant role in the story. I doubt they would have included the part with Sakuya calling Kotarou his “fate” and not do anything with it. They’ll probably make Kotarou and Sakuya’s relationship evolve like it did in Chihaya’s route, or so I hope. Sakuya explaining the Rewrite power worked well.[quote=“DaniHernandezxD, post:6, topic:2977”]

it’s a shame that the anime won’t adapt the routes but then why don’t they just give her the great personality she has in the vn and not that cliche tsundere attitude
[/quote]

I’m holding out on us getting the super spicy parfait scene animated as unlikely as that may be.

1 Like

Huh… Let’s see… Now, where do I start…

First of all, I’m somewhat ok with this episode. It was rushed, that’s for sure. But, I can’t really bring myself to say that it was bad. @RyuuTamotsu already said most of what I was gonna say myself so no point in me repeating it.
I can see they’re still keeping the suspense and comedy a little consistent, which is a good thing. But, I guess the ending did irk me a bit, because I got so into it, that when the ending song appeared I cursed loud enough for the person next door to hear. I’m not really good with cliffhanger-ish episodes…

1 Like

Well…that episode was way less impactful then I thought it would be. Because of LNs, a lot of anime tend to have bombastic events in episode 3. This was just more comedy like Ep 2 followed by a tamer chase scene than Ep 1. If only the chase scene hadn’t been super generic. Ep 1 at least had the CG effects for the extending corridor and stuff. This episode just had running from point A to point B, and we don’t even see much of the monster. They clearly had a CG model for it, but it barely moved.

They did make cool use of some scenes from the VN. Originally, it’s heavily implied that the girl Kotarou sees jumping on the rooftops is Shizuru. She then later erases his memory of the incident. Using Kagari makes for a better tie-in to the current narrative, but they still sneak in Shizuru’s powers in there.

And nowhere near the edginess of the Side:R manga.

That qualifies as a cliffhanger? I don’t really have anything to add that that scene. I guarantee they won’t continue that conversation next time.

2 Likes

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the other two… Well, I know the reason why, obviously…
SAKUYA-SAMA SHOWED UP YAHOOOOOO!!! And they made sure to make him as mysterious, ikemen-like and dislikable to only-anime watchers as the Visual novel!! YAY!! (Chihaya/Shizuru/Kotori route spoilers)and then he’ll show his badass attitude in later episodes… I think that it’ll start with a fight between Kotarou and Sakuya but then shows up Chihaya and declares that she’s out of Gaia and then she and Sakuya’ll join Kotarou who’ll probably be on Kotori and Kagari’s side and our super ikemen will train Fatarou-kun! And then, well, things will go on until the battle against the Gaia villains and the last battle against the Witch Akane and Overpowered Sakuya’ll probably show up too!!
Anyway, putting the whole imagination of what’ll happen later aside, this episode was definitly the best so far, not just because Sakuya (:heart:) showed up but it just felt like they covered many scenes but didn’t really mess up compared to the other two and I felt comfortable watching this one. Well, it felt like I didn’t need to re-watch it to like it compared to the second episode that I just couldn’t get myself to like until watching fours times (or was it three?) and felt way too rushed. Also, I wasn’t sure that they would but re-thinking about it, it was pretty obvious that they’d use blond haired guy whoes name is Midou… He felt pretty much like one of these few characters that are more useless than Lucia who’s supposed to be one of the main characters… but using him like this well… He actually isn’t useless at all which is pretty fine by me… I hope that they’ll also make useless Tsundere feel less useless too (Congratulations, me, you just earned some hate).
Anyway, also putting Lucia’s uselessness aside, I didn’t expect Tsukuno to show up so early and it makes me wonder whether anime only viewers could guess that there is a relationship between Akane and Tsuchinoko woman since there is also the OP that hints to that. Now that I think about it, there are way too many obvious hints in this episode… Or do we VN readers see them as obvious since we already know what they’re hinting to? Well, that may be the case since I felt like there were also many hints in most other Key animes. Also, good thing that they finally mentionned Kotarou’s super powers… It was pretty irritating to me that they didn’t mention it in earlier episodes…

1 Like

Ok, maybe I should have worded it better. What I was trying to say was I’m not good at episodes that leaves too many questions. When I’m watching Rewrite, I try to put myself in the shoes of people who never played the game, hence so many questions unsolved.(even though I shout out every single reference I remember from the game being animated XXD)

Totally Gigotarou (Gigolo I mean)

Lucia and Shizuru have a lot of screentime than usual in this episode, And I’m totally happy with it!
Not to mention

Kotarou… swap with me… seriously

1 Like

This is a really solid episode. I love it. It develops the characters, particularly Shizuru and Lucia, while we have that gawd-intense scene at the second half. I swear, I read the VN but it still got me.

I’ve read the common route twice, and I can say for sure that the latter’s the case. (Chihaya route)Sakuya appearing when Kotarou was losing consciousness this episode was a bit too much though. (general VN spoiler) Shizuru healing Kotarou’s hand was an interesting way to foreshadow something while not being obvious though.

1 Like

It seems we’re starting to get somewhere!

This episode felt more productive than the last by far, and it felt really solid. Not that it didn’t have it’s issues (odd and sort of bland action animation, a very awkward introduction of Midou, and what felt to me like a very bland and almost Rikako copy-paste design for Tsukuno), but it still felt well done and the pacing didn’t feel too overbearing.

Seeing Sakuya and Esaka animated was definitely something I was glad to see, but it was surprising to see Midou appear. As @Naoki_Saten said, he’d be quite easy to change around from his place in the Visual Novel, but I still wasn’t sure if we were going to see him show up or not. I wonder how they’ll use him.

Lastly, this episode both cleared up and blurred a few things to me, as to where they’re taking Rewrite’s story. I still think it’s too early to make any accurate predictions, but I’d like to think November 13th will happen around episode 6 or 7, although I could be very wrong.

Let’s see where episode 4 takes us! :kgoha:

EDIT: This is what I mean by the Tsukuno/Rikako character designs. Is it just me?

1 Like

Now that I noticed it, they look so similar. It might even become a fan-theory that they’re one and the same XD

Nah, the designs are just Hinoue being Hinoue :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t really have any strong feelings by the end of this episode, which I guess makes it the “best” episode of the anime so far.

As usual, the pacing is too fast to let anything settle in, and I feel like the atmosphere and tone of the scenes that they’re animating are just blurring together as a result. Spoopy hooded mans Midou’s introduction was insanely awkward, and I honestly feel like the impact of the dog scene was severely lessened by what they’ve already shown in the first episode. In general, I feel like the “mysterious” elements of the common route are totally gone, largely because of the supernatural elements they’ve already shown us. I even found it a little weird that Kotarou was so freaked out by a large dog given what he’s already seen.

Lots of character vibes still seem “off” to me, though for what it’s worth I think they captured Esaka’s introduction pretty decently. Akane wasn’t nearly as adverse to going outside as she was in the source, and in general Akane is just projecting a nearly totally different attitude towards the occult club as a whole compared to the VN. Akane’s little fanservice tidbit towards the start also struck me as a little odd - I guess it’s a decent way of subtly implying that she stays overnight at the school sometimes (although not nearly as subtle in other regards). Sakuya also seems much less cold than I would have liked - he doesn’t feel as distant or “above” Kotarou as I think he should.

I’ll probably try to watch until the show gets to the largely original content, as hopefully the constant feeling of rushing won’t be present by then. As it is, I felt like episode 3 was pretty mediocre, which…makes it better compared to my thoughts by the end of the first two.

1 Like

I can’t help thinking that this shot is a mistake and that his face should be shadowed. The next shot has his face shadowed, and the final shot of the episode is the same shot, but it slowly reveals his face as a “cliffhanger.” However, that reveal makes no sense because they showed his face from the very first shot. This can’t even be blamed on a heavy work schedule because not showing the face is less work. This would have to be the result of sloppy communication.

2 Likes

Fair enough, viewers unfamiliar to the source just went “huh lol wat is that him and whats he doing?” since the anime seems to have always shown him with glasses and all. So I’m getting that that cut, error or not, simply made such people feel more confused with what’s going on than revealing anything.

Side note: anyone noticed how his hair has highlights here?

Pretty sure that if a strange creature was after your life, whether it was a large dog, or a gigantic crab-like octopus thing, you’d be pretty freaked out no matter the case

3 Likes

Alright. First of all, before I actually talk about the episode, I just want to say/scream: WHY DOES EVERY DAMN ANIME HAVE THE “CUT TO SKY WHILE SOMEONE’S YELLING/RETORTING” SCENE?! IT DRIVES ME INSANE! EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. Possibly every episode of every show. Why.

On to the episode.

Shizuru is cute. <3

Akane is hilarious. And pretty darn attractive. And Kotarou’s edging the line between actually going all-out for the Oppai Route or not here, lol. That sinister smirk on his face as he looked at her breasts was hilarious, esp. when she caught him looking

I love the OP and ED.

That’s about it. Honestly have no idea what to expect from this show; looks all over the place. Here’s hoping it’ll do something unique with the Rewrite story.

4 Likes