Rewrite Anime - Episode 18 “Superhuman Qualities"

Discussion topic for the 18th episode of the Rewrite anime which premiered on the 11th of February, 2017. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany
Daisuki

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

Midorikawa, what are you doing here!?

5 Likes

Oh hey they changed the OP.

Not a lot to say about this episode, it was more exposition and development for Kotarou. Like I’ve been saying, the pacing feels so much better now. I feel like they rushed a little to get him out of Kazamatsuri, but not to the detriment of the story.

Pretty literal adaptation of the beacon scenes, but I think it works well.

Overall, good episode, no complaints.

5 Likes

Man this episode is paced slower than I expected, and there’s tad too much narration that this felt a bit like a recap ep if weren’t for the slow pace. Not a bad episode though, but I didn’t expect then to adapt the beacons of light that way lol.

Highlights are defintiely Kotori’s smile and Kotarou being savage as heck in that one scene with Mikuni lol. Kotori’s smile can rid the world of all malice.

1 Like

It’s a correct episode. Kotarou have a good developpement and the part with Sakura is really good. My favorite scene in this is episode.
The previous episode hype me, but this is… It’s more like “Ok, that’s good.”

Wow. I’ve really enjoyed it.
It was paced very nicely, they’ve managed to put into the ep pretty much every single important scene.
Dialogue with Sakura, farewell with Kotori, Kotarou’s position at the training camp, his attitude…
I even liked the literal adaptation of choices he did there…

Then, again. Those 3 images with skill classes were completely out of place.
And I felt that they’ve slacked with an introduction of interpersonal relations in between Kotarou’s teammates. Also, I think that the mock mission to subdue “mamono” in the abandoned building was rushed and mostly skipped through.

This was pretty good for the episode I would say. I feel like I’m starting to remember how some of the scenes went back then during the Terra Route. Seeing a young Kashima Sakura was quite something else though how terrifying that woman can be asking Kotarou all of those questions. Kotori is just as cute when she smiles all over. It’s quite adorable! The fact that Kotarou had to work hard under Guardian with the basic training even though he thought he struggled quite tremendously had to have some deep meaning for him. It may have not been easy but he only could do it if he was man enough up for it. There’s not much to say here but I still love the ending as it’s become my favorite since watching 2nd Season.

Overall, it wasn’t too bad. Can’t wait to see what happens next week!

Outside of the minor OP changes and interesting use of the beacon idea, there really isn’t too much to say about this one. No real complaints besides not changing Mikuni’s name to Saitou, 'cause Midorikawa. :disappoint:

Though, I’d always thought Nagai had a bit more screentime during this part of Terra, but now that I think about it, she really didn’t get much. Well, can’t be helped, I guess.

Next episode should be a bit more eventful, iirc. Looking forward to that.

1 Like

I liked so much this episode. Kotarou looks really cool with the Gaia tunic + glasses in the opening. Cause that seiyuu I’m going to miss Mikuni :yahaha:

Pretty cool episode. Guess we’ll have the Kagari encounter next episode. Wonder how they’ll handle that.

Great episode. Not much to say about it, just good development and good adaption.

Only quip is how boring the visual looks for the beacon choices. I always thought the VN did a great job foreshadowing the life theory from Moon by having the graphic look like a flowchart split. Floating letters doesn’t really do it justice.

Also Mikuni looks a lot less intimidating that I had imagined. More like a shounen villain and less like a jock.

1 Like

Good episode. I The 2nd season so far has quite better quality than the 1st one. The improvement of OP is cool.
Maybe talk with Kashima might need more strain. She is not well characterized in the anime.
I was a bit disappointed at how they describe Mikuni. He in anime looks like a kind of cheap hoodlum and seems marked for death. I felt he in the novel is more like talented elite who somehow fail to hide disdain for weaks.
The effect of fire(Kagaribi) might interrupt the pace of the anime, I hope they don’t use it again and again in the next episode and would rather describe it less disturbing way.

It’s a bit different from what I expected from him, but I kinda like Mikuni’s design. It’s simple enough to suit a supporting character, but it’s striking. That spiky blond hair reminiscent of Super Saiyan seems hard to forget, and we’ll really need to remember that man for at least one more episode, considering future events haha.

On a different topic, I’ve been compiling the episode staff for this series. While I’d prefer to post it by the end of the cour (it can be found on Wikia btw), I’d like to mention that the director for this episode is Shigeru Kimiya, and this is his first time directing an episode for this series. I’m not sure how much of it can be credited to him, and I’m not sure if it has happened to other episodes he has handled, but I did notice some style distinct to this episode, namely… the cute blushing. There have been lots of blushing in Rewrite (courtesy of the tsundere heroines), but for this episode, the blushing instead is somehow used as reaction by people discovered to have something. I don’t mind; I think it’s really cute (or cashmoney) ahaha.

Also, butts. Imamiya’s wasn’t even censored lol.

2 Likes

Mikuni looks like a shounen protagonist but with less detail because he’s a side character. I always thought he’d be a big burly guy, but this works too. He is supposed to be an over powered prodigy after all. He’s not handsome enough to be a Midorikawa character though. Luis was more of an ikemen than he is.

3 Likes