Rewrite Anime - Episode 14 "Three Cups of Coffee"

Discussion topic for the 14th episode of the Rewrite anime, and first episode of the 2nd Season, which premiered on the 14th of January, 2017. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

1 Like

First impressions are pretty positive. Seems like theyā€™ve captured the atmosphere of the Moon route pretty well. I expect that theyā€™ll be done with Moon by Episode 16, leaving 17-24 for Terra.

Iā€™ll update this when I actually watch it properly and not through a broken stream XP

2 Likes

This episode was unexpectedly good. I started enjoying it as soon is the randomly added scenes in the beginning ended. they were so unnecessary especially after the first season that was a disaster when it comes to character introduction.
Overall Rewrite season 2 is promising imo, good startā€¦ Iā€™m so happy. The opening was sooo good, the way the used the ost was great! the animation is way betterā€¦
but the question isā€¦ will they keep up the good work?
Also, Dangos !

7 Likes

This episode better than expected.I gonna look forward after this.
Less Joke.More Drama.Good pacing for this episode.

3 Likes

Animating the route ending for the sake of it in that recap form felt rushed, especially when there was not any development on the romantic side with most of the girls in S1, but things went better in the 2nd half. Hoping for a nice Moon Finale Climax in a few episodes.

Well. It was better than I thought it would be.
I actually liked parts of Kotoriā€™s and Shizuruā€™s routes animated and the way they were introduced.
Still not sure why theyā€™ve decided to show Harvest festa! content even if in quick glancesā€¦ But, well, that scene with Lucia.
Dangos & KotaKoto were warm as wellā€¦
Opening was just brilliant. It was beyond good. Exemplar. And memorable.
Pacing was mostly okay, though felt a bit rushed sometimes.
Also, did they add a new bgm in? I am pretty sure that there were 1 melody I havenā€™t heard before on any of albums. And no, I am talking about the ending song.
Random remarks at HF Kagari were fun as well, but unnecessaryā€¦ Still, I think this would be overwhelming and disastrous to watch for those, who havenā€™t read an original novel.
Most emotions I felt watching this episode were based on my personal impressions on novel, and I would have probably just ā€œwtfā€™edā€ through the whole ep if I didnā€™t know where it was all coming from and where is it going.

I see people complaining on animating parts of heroine routes here, but look at it from the other sideā€¦ You canā€™t introduce some of Moon content without giving the knowledge, that Kotarou & girls had relations. And pretty deep ones~
Besides, it shows how Kotarou himself went different pathsā€¦ Well, as Iā€™ve said. Its easier to watch when you know an original novel.

2 Likes

I did not expect the last scene to emotionally rekt me. Just low-key, but still.

With that said, the episode started out pretty slow, with snippets of the heroine routes that, while the Kotori scene makes a good thematic set-up for the season, the other two wonā€™t really contribute much in the way of the narrative.

It picks up soon enough, and boy was it a delight to watch. Kotarouā€™s monologue as he figures out his individual memories brimmed with personality (Morita is great here), and the killing spree scene pleasantly surprised me over how effectively funny it wasā€¦ I was kinda worried on how it will be executed. My only major complaint is that they can still trim down the monologue, but that kind of stuff doesnā€™t really annoy me.

The Three Cups of Coffee scene is nice. Iā€™m not a fan of the tsun Kagarin fantasies part, but everything else is sooooo goooooooodddd. I did not expect to be low-key emotionally rekt by it.

4.5/5 for me.

And yes, the opening theme of the episode is nice. The waltzing animation was a bit rough, but everything else looks so good.

Seriously, this is the best episode of the Rewrite anime so far. Iā€™m so, so happy that they managed to do possibly my favourite scene in the entire visual novel so well. Iā€™m getting super emotional ;_; REWRITE ANIME IS MAKING ME FEEL THINGS.

The flashbacks at the start served their purpose well. It was an awesome nod to fans of the VN, and a great way to advertise the VN to newcomers while helping to illustrate the point about ā€˜being reborn over and over again in different livesā€™.

Rated it a 5.

7 Likes

Even though the staff is practically identical from End of the World, the OP was actually creative. Visuals are clean, harken back to the VN title screen, and make nice references to whatā€™s to come. I also really like how all text appear like the phases of the Moon.

6 Likes

Such a fantastically creative OP, I love it. Itā€™s probably the most weā€™ll see of the dancing, but thatā€™s fine by me.

I forget to mention it initially, but I liked how he did comment on the passage of timeā€¦ For the 1st time mentioning it like an actual number, and then moving to the more vague term.
I think that it would have been one of the hardest parts to show in anime, so they did it right.

I saw it thinking that is not going to like me but really liked me in the end. Probably those who donā€™t read the VN are confounded

2 Likes

Really enjoyed it. After this episode i badly want a gif of all of Kotarouā€™s deaths so far, including season oneā€™s (was it 2 or 3?)

1 Like

My thoughts:
-Happy that they animated some parts of the other routes. Wished they animated even just one part of the ā€œkotori dragging kotarou to a hospitalā€ T.T
-That opening. Creative. Beautiful. Marvelous.
-Hope that anime-only people remembered the first part of episode, foreshadowing this
-More KotarouxKotori hehe. And Dangos!
-DYNAMITE
-ā€œHow to seduce girlsā€ :yahaha:
-Three cups of coffee. Almost got me but didnā€™t. Maybe I have a heart of stone :sunohii:

Overall:
Probably the best episode so far. I would have given it a 5/5, but I still feel that the ā€œdrama partā€ wasnā€™t executed that well. 4/5.

Just finished watching the episode. I was really impressed how it was fairly executed. It was nice to see parts of the Moon route being animated and it was really enjoyable. The OP was majorly fantastic with the dance scene with Kotarou and Kagari. There were some things I didnā€™t know about the HF scenes that came to me as a surprise there at times. It was good to watch those parts even though I havenā€™t played HF which I have mentioned before at times.

But overall, they kept it at a good pacing with the quality of how those scenes were executed so I canā€™t complain there. Iā€™ll admit I was emotional during the last few scenes with Kagari after Kotarou gave her the last coffee and that how he was able to at least communicate with her. At this point, I have to say itā€™s going in the right direction so Iā€™m positive about it. Not much to say that has been said previously but I figured I wanted to say my few thoughts about the episode. Very nicely done! Canā€™t wait to watch the next episode! ^-^

1 Like

I am enjoying Kotarou and Kotori happy marriage life (they even have baby whoa //////) though itā€™s not the real oneā€¦
Pretty fun to see how Kagari creativityā€”she have so many killing style <3

[spoiler]Feel sorry to himā€¦you must be the most lonely guy in the earth

[/spoiler]

1 Like

Animation quality definitely improved, I was watching the scene with Shizuru and for a moment I was like ā€œLots of animation for a character cryingā€¦ what is this Kyoani?ā€ (lol)

1 Like

I like it, especially when the OP starts playing. Exact same animation as the VN in the first part really gives the feeeels. The episode title reminds me of a certain event in ROTK =X. Anyway, this episode is a good start for the season. My hype is coming back.

And Iā€™m just gonna leave this hereā€¦ Kimi no na wa?

Source: http://squallec.deviantart.com/art/Kizuna-657366641

5 Likes

Iā€™m joining the ā€œDidinā€™t expect this episode to be so goodā€ club.
It was awesome.
ā€¦damn, I donā€™t even know what else to say xD

Could you be referring to Hinagiku orgel ver.? iirc, they used it as a ā€œgame overā€ track in the VN.

That shot shouldā€™ve been made to resemble The Creation of Adam. Itā€™s already very similar, but theyā€™re on the wrong sides and stuff.

1 Like