Rewrite Anime - Episode 12 "The Song of Destruction"

Discussion topic for Episode 12 of the Rewrite anime, which premiered on the 17th of September, 2016. All references to outside works and to future episodes must be tagged with a [spoiler] tag.

You can view the series on:
Crunchyroll in North America and Australia
Akibapass in Germany

What would you rate this episode?

0 voters

Fantastic. This is the episode of Rewrite Iā€™ve been waiting so long for. I feel like they spent way too much time in the forest, but Iā€™m glad we finally reached this point. Itā€™s everything Iā€™ve hoped for! I have to give major credit to the authors for managing to reference so many different charactersā€™ stories simultaneously through their interactions. I never expected 13 episodes to cover this much ground.

Also this

https://twitter.com/certainlyawitch/status/777179641727557632

5 Likes

Thanks to Prisma Illya, this was only the second ugliest anime episode Iā€™ve seen this week.

8 Likes

[Terra-related anime spoiler?] Oh, Jasmine is at the animeā€¦ hey! What are youā€¦?! No, donā€™t! NOT HEEEEEEEEEEEEEER! Why all animes this season are killing waifus?! D:

The scene with Kotoriā€™s parents didnā€™t manage to make me feel anything, sadlyā€¦ at the VN it felt strong insteadā€¦
There was literally no explanation to reach the City of Stone, andā€¦

Did we get locked into a bad end? Unless they still manage to kill Kagari somehowā€¦

1 Like

City of Stone implementation in this series has been very weird, Iā€™ll admit. In the VN it played a much better role.

And no doubt, this isnā€™t a happy memory.

4 Likes

Welp, that was, by far, the worst episode this anime has yet to show. I honestly just sat there, wondering who thought this worked, because at least for me, it sure didnā€™t. It almost felt as if every line had a maximum of half a second before the next, and they wanted to add a ā€œshockingā€ or ā€œemotionalā€ scene every two minutes, neither of which reached their intended goal. Itā€™s like this episode was an edgy 13 year old trying to get views on YouTube.

I can still see what theyā€™re aiming for, and it really couldā€™ve worked, but the way theyā€™ve handled it really doesnā€™t seem to. My hopes for Episode 13 arenā€™t too high at this point. I canā€™t see much recovering from this. +1 for the Jasmine scene though. Admittedly, that was a highlight.

(Side note: I am very salty, in case you hadnā€™t noticed. :stuck_out_tongue: )

10 Likes

I was going to comment this but itā€™s been a while since I read Kotoriā€™s route I couldnā€™t remember how it was done. Kotarou knew her parents were in the forest in the VN, right?

I think we might either get split-cour, super rushed finale or anime only being really confused. Theyā€™ve used (Terra) Guardian Kotarou fighting Kagari with child Kotori coming running so they need to give that some kind of conclusion.

Moon & Terra Anime is coming, for sure.

1 Like

In terms of inducing emotional impact, it fell flat because they didnā€™t spend enough time for the moments. I did somewhat felt sad from Kotoriā€™s story, but the part where Kotoriā€™s parents suddenly spoke was intensely awkward, and there was no need to put that part. They could just left us with the image of the parents dying and it would have just done its job. Midouā€™s backstory was weird, too.

In setting up tension, however, it did its job amazingly. The world is ending now and I am so excited in how theyā€™ll go about on the last episode~ And Suzakiā€™s death made for a very disturbing sight. The battles were exciting to watch, but the art was, uhh.

((The framing of the gun in that one scene gave me the feeling that Akane will attempt to shoot Sakura. Ohmigad))

In hindsight, the juxtaposition of the two effed-up backstories might have intended to be a set-up to Kagari spiraling-down to despair, so the awkward backstories are forgivable in that regards.

On another hand, goddammit the art.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll admit that some of the animation left a bit to be desired, but damn it makes up for it in grandeur. Iā€™ve never been one to let poor visuals keep me from enjoying a story. If that were the case I would probably hate visual novels~

1 Like

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE EARTH DRAGON LOOKS SO DUMB.
OH MY FUCKING GOD KOTORIā€™S MOMS SHADOW RUNNING TOWARDS MIDOU.
OH MY FUCKING GOD THE SPEED OF THE KOTORI PARENTS REVEAL AND DEATH.
OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY JUST RECOLOURED KRIVOY ROG AND KILIMANJARO AND PUT THEM ELSEWHERE FOR NO REASON.
OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SWORDFIGHT SLIDESHOW.

18 Likes

I really just donā€™t know what they are going for here, thereā€™s only 1 episode and they still havenā€™t touched the foreshadowed Sakuya event from the OP, so it feels like itā€™s gonna end with Kotarou completely randomly being able to save the day (whether he does that by gaining BS levels of strength, yelling out cringy lines, or both, I have no idea). I mean salvation is starting already and since Lucia lived, it feels like they arenā€™t going to make it a bad end, even if it should be

2 Likes

Now that I have finished the episode, this is kind of one of those episode I personally have mixed feelings on. While I do like some of the stuff they added, there were other things that I personally didnā€™t personally liked in the episode. The problem mostly comes from the count and the constrains as well, which sadly thatā€™s how it looks like, its pretty coincidental as well due to the production companyā€™s other works in the same season. Itā€™s pretty much skeptical for me for that end, and the shit schedule given for the staff as well, which sadly doesnā€™t help much.

Now for the episode, I did liked how they ended the episode due to showing Salvation which was essentially the one thing that could be brought up, and because of Kagari not seeing good memories, and only seeing bad memories, due to lets say the fights that has been going on, itā€™s understandable enough. Though one thing thatā€™s worrying me is the fact that they might pull maybe something along the lines a ā€œhappy endā€ but Iā€™m hoping its not the case. This feels too much of a failed branch in itself for me per say.

The animation wasnā€™t too bad here this episode or at least the week since Iā€™ve seen worse artstyles this season of course, especially this week (although as usual I watch a lot of stuff this season but yeah, you can kind of get my point), thatā€™s my opinion. But of course it didnā€™t looked well compared to the previous episode, due to having nice Nonaka corrections and quality consistencies (which were a good thing in a way). Though again, time constrains and a pretty horrible schedule doesnā€™t help much for them in their favor. There were some scenes that looked pretty good, example the Midou and the Earth Dragon vs the Hunters/Guardian Members, but others really didnā€™t looked that good, example Kotarou vs Midou fight, along with the Earth Dragon vs Treemen aka my most hated type of CGI at the moment.

The scenes between the characters were actually pretty nice here although a bit short in comparison to the previous episode, and of course I did liked the fight between Midou and Kotoriā€™s parents.

Lastly I did actually liked again, the entire fact that the characters are disregarding their own factions sense, its pretty nice since it gives a easier picture of what the characters feel and what they really wouldnā€™t want, in that sense the anime did well to portray that aspect nicely, this connected to the episodeā€™s first few minutes and trims and pieces here.

Now for the stuff that I personally didnā€™t liked, its pretty obvious what those things are and hopefully you can clearly understand here. Though this may be a bit picky but oh well, please try to bare with me when explaining. Iā€™m not good at explaining things very well so Iā€™m gonna try so.

Kotoriā€™s parents death wouldnā€™t really be as impactful compared to the original VN, although I did felt emotional seeing the moment, the problem comes from looking at an anime only viewpoint. Now take a bit of a moment here. From an anime onlyā€™s standpoint, the scene feels rather forced and rather weird as well. Itā€™s because the anime hasnā€™t really focused much on Kotoriā€™s end previously in the Common Route, and I believe because of this, it will affect any emotion towards whatā€™s going on. Itā€™s one of thise things where. Yeah the execution for that scene was fine only from an VN readerā€™s standpoint, I like the scene before they died in the anime, with the picture of Kotori as a kid with themā€¦ but from an anime onlyā€™s standpoint, it affects any type of emotion towards her a bit or try to understand her, even more when nothing really got explained much on their background on the animeā€™s end. You get what Iā€™m saying here?

Another Issue: The Midou death scene isnā€™t really impactful either in that sense from an anime onlyā€™s standpoint. From my end personally, I did felt emotional, again, no problems with that, but from an anime onlyā€™s viewpoint it will cause no emotion, since thereā€™s no actual connection with him, in here he acts like a bad guy until the very last few minutes before the episode ends, his motives will not make sense from the anime only standpoint either. It just seems waaay to edgy in that sense. You get what I mean?

Third issue comes from the fact that, when taking into the VN readerā€™s standpoint (depending on the individual in question), but for me, it would be considered fine and dandy, Like I didnā€™t really felt bad in any way, as it didnā€™t personally insulted me. But again, in an anime viewerā€™s standpoint, its not going to work, nothing would make sense in terms at least of the complete motivations of the factions, since of course, again, from what we have gotten it was kind of little. Not really a lot has been said around the two and as everyone knows already, Gaia and Guardian are two factions that at first we take into perspective or what they do good and bad, you get the point here? Maybe? All I am trying to say its that, the anime for an animeā€™s point of viewpoint, it fails to gives more of the factionsā€™ good sides and bad sides, you know what Iā€™m saying? Yes it focused on them but not enough to have some sort of idea. You know?

Lets go for shorter explanation: Most of my complaints comes from the fact that in the animeā€™s stance for the anime onlies, unless someone has to dig a hole to understand, would be difficult to understand whatā€™s going on, from the motives, towards the emotional impact. But from my end I think from an adaption stance, it works pretty fine. Production and Animation could have been better but sadly again, time constrains has been pretty much limiting them in my eyes. This could have probably worked if given more time and such, but itā€™s not like Iā€™m going to go and cry because of it since Iā€™m not THAT upset on the matter. It could have worked but yeah.

9 Likes

This episode was okay in its own way. There were so cool action scenes that I enjoyed at least. It was nice seeing Kotoriā€™s parents out in the forefront fighting against Midou even though it was only for a brief moment that they protected Kotori and the others. It didnā€™t have that feel like in Kotoriā€™s route because it was more emotional in the VN as Kotarou and Kotori struggled to run away from the forest to the wheat field as her parents fought to the bitter end. I didnā€™t expect Midou to protect them in the end as Kotarou and Kagari ran away from the scene. They started showing [Terra route spoilers]where Jasmine was there when Midou, Tenjin, and Tenma back in those days were happy and full of smiles. They were in a war-torn country that eventually started when Gaia made its presence to make familiars. It was gut-wrenching how Kotarou realized that those children were summoners and were killed off by Guardian which broke me in full tears. I was literally shocked to what happened to Suzaki after getting killed by one of the powerful familiars that was brutal even for Kashimaā€™s sake.

We now know for sure the Salvation is happening and itā€™s only just the beginning. As I think how this episode went, it may have fell flat in some instances. The scene with Midouā€™s backstory felt as though there wasnā€™t enough time to explain why Midou felt the way he does now about humans in general. Another one was when Kotoriā€™s parents were there only for a few minutes didnā€™t capture the emotional impact as they ended up getting killed by Midou which was bound to happen. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed this episode anyways. With one episode left, I hope Moon and Terra are going to be adapted to wrap things up. Weā€™ll have to wait and see then how it goes.

5 Likes

More and more, Iā€™m finding it harder and harder to sympathize with Gaia, especially since their hatred of humans has been explained through vague montages rather than more concrete reasoningā€¦

The action in this episode was pretty good. The direction was rather wonky (itā€™s clear 8-Bit doesnā€™t have a strong handle on it), but it was intense and they had a decent bit of tension. Admittedly, Shizuru coming back happened too fast for it to be emotionally satisfying.

Soā€¦ The worldā€™s ending now. YAY!! Iā€™m guessing Guardian and our heroes will have to form an awkward partnership to stop it somehow. Iā€™m sure, ironically enough, that Kagariā€™s gonna be a part of the solution? Either way, I predict the ending is going to be incredibly rushed!

Edit: On a side note, I didnā€™t even remember Kotoriā€™s parents were in this episode until I noticed people mentioning it on this threadā€¦ Showā€™s how much impact THAT had on me!

4 Likes

Damn it, I was banking on the world just being outright annihilated this episode. Good enough though, I enjoyed the episode, especially how it managed to instill the feeling that things are getting worse and worse by the second; when Kagari is like ā€œI couldnā€™t find any happy memoriesā€ itā€™s like oh dear, thatā€™s it, weā€™re doomed.

The direction was hilariously bad though. The entire Midou Kotarou Knights battle was horrendous. I dare you to watch that scene again and try imagining observing it from a still camera angle. It doesnā€™t work. And none of what happens makes any sense.

Still, I quite enjoyed it. I hope the world gets destroyed next episode.

2 Likes

Midou is way too overpowered in the anime XD

I just want to see this season ends soon because from the way it is now, my thoughts is that it will end with a cliffhanger, Salvation happens, everyone dies, KT in his last despair moment thought why he couldnā€™t do anything. Then wakes up to Moon Yay, Moon&Terra will be next cour! Hypeeeeeeā€¦ ćƒ½(怂_Ā°)惎

1 Like

So, how many anime-only people are still watching and how many feel like the anime has explained things even half-decently? I feel like the last few episodes have been littered with things that are like ā€œhey we included this because itā€™s a plot point in the VNā€ but they just get thrown at you so randomly that anyone not familiar with the VN wouldnā€™t even realize what these things mean to the plot. Like, even the episode title ā€œThe Song of Destructionā€ is super important but how much of that has even been explained? Iā€™m legitimately asking because I donā€™t think any VN readers, myself included, can give an accurate perspective of how this anime actually conveys itselfā€¦although I can say I highly suspect it fails miserably.

Also, Iā€™m still sticking to my claim from like 6 months ago that itā€™ll be split-cour. I thought itā€™d be obvious by this point, but apparently some people still donā€™t think itā€™ll happen.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve only seen this anime, and Iā€™m not having much trouble following the story. There are a couple plot points that felt like they came flat out of nowhere (Kotoriā€™s parents, the dude who doubted Gaia and got eaten, how and why Kotarou was having those weird dreams/visions/maybe reality in the first episode). But for the most part? It hasnā€™t actually lost me.

It IS possible that this is multi-cour (considering 8-Bitā€™s Grisaia anime is also doing multiple seasons), but Iā€™m more inclined to say this last episode might be double-length, even though I do understand your perspective. Maybe the Visual Novel makes it clear thereā€™s a lot more to come.

3 Likes

I really feel like they were able to jam so much stuff into the anime up until this point. It may be rough around the edges but I think this episode was pretty exciting. Things tend to have much less impact cause they are jamming it in there quickly, take kotoriā€™s parents for example, it was just done too quick but did they really have much of a choice? I donā€™t think they really did tbh. This episode really showed that they did combine/smash everything together fairly well. The feeling of a large battle really was carried through this episode. They built up the two faction well enough that it feels like a huge clash. Also with the club member sticking together also created a feeling of unbreakable friendship.I am most interested into what will happen to akane tbh. Will she be able to join them? I think so.

I really feel like this episode brought everything together fairly well, but did lack impact in some important parts. (like kotoriā€™s parents.)

3 Likes