Rewrite Anime - Episode 11 “Countdown”

At the least I figured that the anime wouldn’t be able to adapt the VN without leaving out tons of stuff. Even so, I thought it would still at least be enjoyable to watch as an anime, but whether you’ve read the VN or not, the everything’s so poorly structured. Sure, there were some funny scenes, but besides that, I’m simply confused as to what they were trying to achieve in the production of this.

2 Likes

10/10 Rewrite piano ver.

I had no idea Kagari’s ribbons could split, let alone fully detach. I wonder if there is some downside to her using them to heal Lucia, since Kotori seemed hesitant at first.

A few times the episode just abruptly cut between stuff happening in the forest to whats happening with Gaia, which was weird and distracting. You know what else is distracting? Feecoof. Feecoof ain’t even funny anymore.

THANK YOU
PREACH

I feel like the anime is trying too hard. Like its pulling out all the cool music as often as possible and adding cliffhangers (which is pissing me off to no end) yet at the same time is adding stupid fillers (like the bath scene). Meanwhile, there’s genuinely good content to explore like Gaia/Guardian. Going a mile wide and an inch deep there, Rewrite.

7 Likes

I…I’m kind of speechless. This somehow managed to become the single-worst episode in the entire anime thus far, in my opinion. Which is kind of incredible considering the only passable episodes have really been the first one, and the previous two. But this episode singlehandedly ruined everything the previous two episodes had seemed to be leading up to, and surpassed itself in terms of poor-quality animation by giving an unheard of amount of poorly drawn still images.

I don’t even know where to start, so I’m just going to list the biggest detractors…which are pretty much everything. The opening scene about the Holy Women was so poorly handled and dumped with little to no build-up and had NO emotional impact whatsoever. We were given literally no reason to care, and the fact that pretty much the entire scene consisted of horribly drawn still images which looked god-awful only ruined it further.

Lucia living. Midou living. Everyone living. Every single potentially interesting thing that had been left hanging from the previous episode, completely done away with. Rewrite has always been fairly impressive as a visual novel because, despite the seemingly whimsical, happy daily life segments of the common route, the majority of the actual routes handled the gritty aspects of an all-out war over the planet’s fate fairly well. Major character deaths were not shied away from most of the time, because the whole point was that sacrifices had to be made in order to side with either Guardian or Gaia, and someone else was always going to get the short end of the stick as a result (Rewrite, Terra route) until Terra, where all the heroines could grow up happily thanks to Kotarou’s own sacrifice.

There literally should have been no way for any of them to have survived all that…and yet they did. I’m also going to nitpick Lucia still holding onto her sword somehow despite being in the midst of an explosion, being impaled, and then falling off a cliff implied to seem the size of the Grand Canyon in the previous episode, then washing down the river. Even if she was going to live, the fact that she still had her weapon in perfect working condition is just ridiculous. I even double-checked the previous episode and she wasn’t even HOLDING her sword when she fell.

Midou, Tenjin, and Tenma should be dead a million times over. The difficulty of keeping their familiars alive with their own life energy in a poisonous environment, combined with literally being poisoned (and set on fire in Tenjin and Tenma’s case) should have killed them all.

Kotori saving Lucia by willingly using Kagari’s ribbons also made no sense. (Rewrite, Kotori route) Considering Kotori’s biggest fears and regrets are that everyone she has left to care about her in her life (Kotarou, Pero, her parents) are only doing what she wants them to do because she’s controlling them as a familiar, and considering how much she regrets becoming a Druid, the fact that she would just volunteer to use another ribbon on Lucia is so unbelievably out of character. Even if it “doesn’t count” because the ribbon didn’t actually go inside Lucia’s body, it’s not an action I could ever foresee VN Kotori taking.

Next completely horrible, utterly ridiculous, makes-no-sense-whatsoever point: giving the Earth Dragon to Midou. The Earth Dragon CANNOT be commanded by a single individual. Even assuming Midou, Tenjin, and Tenma are all going to control it as one (which still makes no sense, since Kilimanjaro and Krivoy Rog still haven’t been confirmed as dead or not), it literally makes no sense whatsoever for a familiar that takes almost the entirety of the best disciples in all of Gaia to control it to be suddenly handed off to an individual, or a group of three. I was honestly just staring open-mouthed at the writing in this episode by the time this happened.

Sighs. More fanservice. More stupid, unnecessary fanservice eleven episodes in when I had hoped that the Oppai Route tease in the previous episode would be the end of it. But no, on top of Lucia surviving in the most deus ex machina manner ever conceived, we once again had at least half of an episode dedicated to pointless fanservice where it was not needed, at all. Where the plot should by now be hurtling into its final developments and taken seriously, once again there was only mood whiplash at every single point. “Look, funny hot springs scene! But wait, look! Gaia and Guardian are about to battle and you should take this seriously for some reasons undisclosed in this horrible adaptation!”

This episode felt like the biggest waste of time because it made every other episode so far feel like it had also wasted my time. There was literally nothing I actually liked about this episode, this time around. I would honestly like for the next two episodes to prove me wrong and for this whole mess to come out with some genuinely interesting developments, but…I really wonder if it’s salvageable at this point.

If the anime ends on the same kind of note that this episode had, I’d like to just forget that this adaptation ever happened.

Edit: I can actually think of ONE thing I enjoyed in this episode, and it was the Rewrite piano arrange, but the sight of Tenjin/Tenma playing it on the piano made me burst out laughing and it was just too much to take seriously.

9 Likes

The only good thing this anime is doing is making things so terribly confusing that if anyone is interested they’ll have to go read the VN (just like DEEN’s Umineko anime). The fact that Lucia survived with little to no impact on the plot clearly means that that whole scene with her fighting Midou and getting impaled was only there for shock value and for people to be like “oh no, what will happen in the next episode!”… CHEAP TRICKS, 8BIT!

Also does it bother anyone else that they’re barely showing any of the aurora training?? At all? Like I don’t even know how far along Kotarou is (if he’s farther than he was before AT ALL). It just looks like “Sakuya kicks Kotarou’s ass for 10 hours [HD]”

Praying for Salvation

5 Likes

This summarizes ALL my emotions towards this episode. If Salvation actually occurs at the end, that would actually perhaps be the only thing that would make this even a little bit interesting. But if they somehow try to tell us that this is not a failed branch when it literally has to be (Rewrite, Terra route) because EVERY route that is not Terra route should be a failed branch, I’m going to riot.

1 Like

Consolidated thoughts on this episode:

• Honestly, I don’t think fanservice is the issue in this episode. Sure, there were some nude here, but the male gazing (the use of camera angles to sexualize a female character) is so minimal it’s hardly even fanservicey. In fact, the lack of male gazing is actually the one thing that kept the Lucia healing scene from being stupid.
  • I’d say that the issue here is easily the comedy. Not even considering the fact that it’s out of place here, none of the comedy is even funny beyond some light chuckling. At least I got some laughs from the previous episode even if the mood was all over the place.
  • With that said, removing the scene where Kotarou catches the girls in the hot spring could have made this episode 100x better.
  • They kept Lucia alive and I still don’t know what to feel about that. Not like I hated it, the wound wasn’t even fatal.
  • It’s weird that Kotori and Chihaya managed to touch Lucia without harm, but I guess the anime rewritten (kek) Lucia’s powers to only concentrate on her hands. I can buy that.
  • The rest of the episode is fine. I did like the parts with Akane, and the dialogue between the three girls, and Kagari and Kotarou made for something interesting, even if it’s just mostly exploring the ideological conflict. I thought that the part where Kagari asked why the three girls reconciled their differences so easily, when the two organizations couldn’t, was a very interesting point and is easily my favorite part of this episode.
  • I still liked the introduction scene even if it was just mostly still frames. Been wanting to see that part adapted, and look at it now. It’s nowhere near as impressive as I wanted it to be, but the part where one of the girls jumped to the sea was something I delightfully remembered from the VN.
  • This is the third time I’m saying this, and I really, SERIOUSLY hope third time’s the actual charm, but shit’s gonna really happen next episode. There’s only two episodes left and there’s no way that can’t be the case.

That has actually been bothering me since last episode :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m also not impressed by these “jokes”. It’s so cringe worthy I can’t even watch half the time.The comedy should’ve been done with a long time ago, speaking of time I feel they’re wasting it.

I can see how some of this would play out better in the novel version making the girls have a more cohesive story and Kagari actually being a character. But it seems so halfed ass right now and they’re trying too hard to meld some ideas together, like Midou.

I wonder if they’ll do Terra? Or is just some made up route? I think they’ll have to because we haven’t had a closure for Chihaya yet or Kotori or even Kagari. If they do Terra, I hope they fix up the issues I had and make it less bleak.

1 Like

Guys… Is it that hard to draw a giant dinosaur??? Like wtf. I guess Krivoy Rog and Kilimanjaro were understandable but Earth Dragon?? Come on… Don’t let me down, 8bit CG team…

Like we can have beautiful dinosaurs in episode one,

but now we can’t??

2 Likes

Since the Earth Dragon presumably will be on screen for more then half a second and move hopefully, why shouldn’t they do it in cg? The cg on the big familiars has been the best animation work in the series. Why does the first episode have hand drawn stuff? Because it’s the first episode; resources aren’t distributed equally over a series.

In her route, she’s afraid Kotarou is a familiar that she controls subconsciously. In the anime, Kotarou shows more dedication to Kagari than to Kotori showing that he has a will of his own. If that’s the case then Lucia should be fine too, and there was no alternative anyway.

4 Likes

Finally I have a reason to love Kagari…usually she’s always Kotarou centered…and only care about fecoff…

Today she healed Lucia…so I am starting to believe she’s have kind side.

I’m also confused the way of Kagari thinking…like in the earlier episode she doesn’t care naked in front of Kotarou (bathroom scene)… And in this episode…she’s angry and blushing…is that mean she is growing up?

For this episode I appreciate Kotarou’s underwear and Midou’s friends played piano

3 Likes

HAHAHA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Where the Earth Dragon walks, bad writing follows, it’s the eternal rule forever attached to that beast.

It is hilarious and carrying this show, anyone who dislikes it is completely deluded into still thinking anything can seriously be enjoyed from this and needs to let go of those thoughts and enjoy the mess.

4 Likes

Realtalk the CG dragon looks 10x more beautiful than the hand-drawn one.

So what do I think of this episode? Very neutral. It had interesting points and it had bad points. I’m most disappointed with Lucia surviving, but at the same time, I’m not even surprised.

Getting midou to control the earth dragon is interesting (it’ll probably kill him), feecof jokes are getting stale… I’ve been desensitized to fanservice from watching anime too much that the whole bath scene doesn’t even bother me. I’d feel the exact same way if the dialogue in the bath scene happened, for example, while they were sitting by the table drinking coffee.

I guess the actual legit fanservice here is Kagari licking Lucia’s coffee-stained face. Not gonne lie though, I was thoroughly entertained by that scene. Call it a guilty pleasure, if you will.

2 Likes

You forgot to add “objectively true”.

Jokes aside, I simply cannot imagine Tanaka approving of the anime while still caring about the game he wrote. The differences are just too great. I’m repeating myself, but it’s really damn hard to take the anime seriously.

It wasn’t the pit that promised death. It was the dramatic way of falling and the buildup before it, which included 3 whole death flags. But I might have been fine with Lucia surviving if it was just that. What bugs me is the ridiculous outcome of the fight:

And then they just miraculously heal up Lucia by putting Kagari’s ribbons on the wound. -_-

2 Likes

Yet he is still credited for assisting with the scenario, and that scenario would’ve been written months ago. Diverting blame from Tanaka is completely nonsensical unless he actually comes out and says anything about it. With the amount of bullshit found under the Rewrite umbrella, he really doesn’t deserve the credit you’re giving him.

3 Likes

There’s an interesting point that I found in Reddit (I don’t know why I’m still browsing through it T.T) that I thought I should share:

Kotori’s secret garden has become a second occult clubroom, where Kotarou and his friends can forget about all the conflicts they’re embroiled in and pretend they’re just a group of friends, that everything is going to be fine if they all just stick together and weather it through, while avoiding thinking about tjings that are too difficult or sad. We saw the results of that kind of attitude I. ep 7, and if I’m guessing correctly, things won’t turn out too different for the neo-occult club.

I don’t really want to get anyone’s hopes up this late to the story, but I thought a turn of events such as this will be very interesting if this becomes the case.

3 Likes

@BlackHayate02 I think this is actually interesting, also I do understand what ya mean by what you stated in the last part (about don’t get your hopes up), but if that’s the case, then it was pretty nice of a touch. Not to mention that, sorry if I have to bring this up, the scenes that were inside of the garden, including the comedy sketch, rather demonstrates that. Not only that but (I have to repeat this again to backup my previous claim)The anime rather portrays one of the themes that I actually loved from the VN, which is basically how the characters do not honestly want to attack each other and don’t want to be in the state and fate they are facing against on. The deadly battle that basically awaits them, and it also showcases the Youth theme… at least from what I can get, the anime didn’t do the best thing as I hoped for, but it was pretty nicely done, rather decently in fact

1 Like

Rewrite piano arrangement. Kreygasm.

I found it weird how Midou’s lapdog was playing the arrangement on the piano, but the song continues playing even after he leaves the piano.

I did a double take thought I was going crazy for a second, thinking maybe he was using some special Gaia familiar pianist to continue hitting the notes after he left his seat, or if he got someone else to tag out to continue playing the song.

And then I realised I was overthinking the whole piano thing.
I felt incredibly proud that I exacerbated the smallest detail into such a long string of impossible theories about a magic piano in a seemingly insignificant scene.

8 Likes

I’ll admit, while the scene the OP image comes from was funny, it was probably a bit too kinky…

Otherwise, there was a lot to like in this episode. We got some more moments between the main heroines that helped solidify their dynamic. I feel there was simply not enough time for the anime to establish that for the later pathos to ring as true as it should, so I’m glad we’re getting more here. The escalation as Gaia and Guardian come closer and closer to a direct confrontation is also well-done. Most of what I feel the series has done a poor job of executing in the past (comedy, for one) seems to be done well here.

I do have my share of complaints, though. It was awfully convenient that Lucia not only survived through the previous episode but was healed by Kagari and Kotori rather easily. While we know a little bit about what Kotori can do, Kagari’s true nature is still mysterious. So having her be able to heal her felt like a cop-out that shatters the tension from the previous episode. I thought they were actually going to be bold enough to kill her.

In addition, the inevitable ham-fisted environmental themes are finally starting to come into play. Although I’m grateful no individual characters are being demonized, generalizing humanity as fools who wage war for no reason is a gross oversimplification of the way people and societies function. Her point about people solving their problems through conversation also fell flat to me, because in reality, nothing has been solved. No one knows what’s going to happen in the Salvation, and it feels like they’re running away from an event that my decide the fate of humanity. Both sides are working on hypotheticals, but the Key’s power is obviously beyond human measure. The sort of agreement the main characters come to only works from a personal level, not a utilitarian one. Many innocent lives are probably in danger.

At the same time, though, I get some of that ham-fistedness may be intentional, considering Kagari is the one delivering the dialogue I referenced before. But after having experienced numerous Tales games that tackle the subject in a similar, on-the-nose manner, I’m growing a bit tired of it. I still have hope the conclusion will prove my pessimism wrong, however.

1 Like

The thing is, (Rewrite, Kotori route) Kotori using one of Kagari’s ribbons to heal Kotarou was supposed to be a huge one-time deal. Like, moreso than the accident with her parents, that’s what truly indebted her to the Key as a Druid. It was a huge ordeal and a huge plot-point for the entirety of Rewrite and a huge debt to the Earth itself, which required Kotori to basically sacrifice every ounce of her free time. For the Key to now just go around handing ribbons out to anyone who’s injured like candy on Halloween is just really…bad writing.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if you noticed, but… Kagari is slightly different this time around.