Rewrite - And what if it was an otome-game

So, this all has started from a wild idea on our Discord-chat…
Just imagine. What if most of Rewrite characters got gender-swapped?
Here comes our main-heroine, Kokoro. She is a bit unusual girl, who has a thing for her childhood friend Yatori.
She tries to befriend the fellow loner Haruna, but Haruna outright hates her…
How would our protagonist fate unfold from now on? What does await her in the future.
All of the rules of Rewrite’s universe are still intact.
What about our class prez Lucius. That quiet-looking 1st year boy, Shizuya.
There are rumours about Academy’s Wizard, and a new student joining Kotako’s class soon…

Its up to us, how the destiny of Kokor would unveil from now on :smiley:

And on behalf of our good man @EisenKoubu this story is starting to unfold. Be sure to check it ;).

General rules for discussions:
All spoilers for official works in Rewrite’s universe setting are generally allowed. That includes Harvest festa!; Side-B, SIde-R, and Side-TERRA mangas, as well as Officila Another Story Rewrite, and, of course, Rewrite-anime. That being said, it may be a good idea to hide some rather heavy spoilers under tag on your own volition.
All other possible spoilers for the stories outside of Rewrite’s universe should be tagged with “spoiler”-tags without exception.
New ideas for the story, setting, names, and so on are welcomed. It is up to Eisen to decide on what he will actually use in the story, but it may be also your own idea that would give the whole story a new interesting turn or push.

Cheers!

##Timeline:
The 3rd of October
The 4th of October

Character list:

Tennouji Kokoro – main heroine, this branch world’s Kotarou;
Kanbe Yatori – a boy with no friends, but Kotako;
Ootori Arato – a boy with a name yet undecided. Say haro to Chihaya \o/;
Ootori Sayaka – a mysterious maid who has it out for Kotako;
Konohana Lucius – a very self-righteous class prez;
Nakatsu Shizuya – a quiet looking 1st year-boy, member of Disciplinary Committee;
Senri Akase – an elusive shadow of Kazamatsuri’s Academy. Wizard, or so they say. Has a thing for mahjong.

Yoshino Haruna (Shino) – a girl, Kotako wants to be friend with, but outright hated.
Inoue – a reporter who would dig up anything and everything on you.

Miya (with Hikari and Yami) – lurking in dark streets of Kazamatsuri, a cruel trio… what are they looking for?
Kashima Sakuya
Suzaki Meguru
Imamiya Shinka
Nishikujou Touhei
Esaka Sachiko

##Character Polls:
Your voice can change everything, so don’t be afraid to vote :wink:
Female version of the name for Tennouji Kotarou – The voting period has ended.
Female version of the names for Ootori Chihaya & Senri Akane – The voting period has ended.
Female version of the name for Sakuya & male name for Shizuru – The voting period has ended.

##Character design & art:
Initial sketches of Haruna & Kokoro by @BlackHayate02
Kokoro and unnamed male’s art by @CLANNAD_Rewrite
Collective design of all main characters in anime-poster format by @BlackHayate02

8 Likes

Don’t forget about Sakura, a mysterious maid who has it out for Kotako

6 Likes

A rather cruel girl Miya lurking in the shadows of Kazamatsuri. Where did she come from? Or what does she want?
And she is not alone. Two of her loyal followers – Hikari and Yami – are always behind her.

1 Like

I was imagining Chihaya’s name would be… Hayafuru or Hayaru or Furuhaya or something. Well Chihaya’s name did feel like it came from the expression 千早振る or chihayafuru… and it went there. :yahaha: ((also his name will be written in Katakana, as Chi’s name was written in Hira))

I did say this in Discord, but Rewrite the otome game would be GAYYY. SOO GAYYYY. And here’s why: we all know how popular bickering couples are in fujoshi communities, right? If we go by that, Furuhaya (if we go with that) x Lucius will be OHMYGOD

Overprotective BL pairings are also just as popualar too, so Shizuya x Lucius will be… okay I’ll stop with the outdated meme.

Also Kotako will definitely want Akagi’s d to feel his six-pack hahahhahah

Meanwhile, I’ll just leave my rough sketches of Haruna and Kotako. I still have a hard time coming up with something for the boys. :tipi:

10 Likes

We can go with Arado/Arato for Chihaya-M, I think. If Chihaya is from Chihayafuru, then Arato would be from 荒ぶる (Araburu - rough, raging).
And yeah, indeed. it would be gay :smiley: on so many levels.

Also, Prez Akagi plays mahjong.

1 Like

I would actually be really interested in writing something like this. If I did write this, though, it would require quite a bit of small changes to everyone’s characters since men and women think quite differently, on top of being much less gay than everyone’s making it out to be. But it would be fun, so I’d have to do some planning if we’re going to make this work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Topic title is pretty misleading, otome games are not equivalent to a full gender swap. I was expecting something like a game where you play as Kotori.

1 Like

Making something an otome game doesn’t necessarily mean gender swap but the title isn’t really misleading, at least not as misleading as a game where you play about Kotori would be.

An otome is just a game targeted towards young women and kind of is the female equivalent of seinen, which Rewrite is. A game similar to Rewrite but marketed and geared more towards young women in the same way Rewrite was geared towards young men would still be considered otome.

Also

The point of the thread isn’t to just genderbend the characters but also to develop other aspects of the story in a more otome way. If you think the thread is off of that original topic then I believe that trying to lead conversation back that way would be more constructive than commenting on your expectations.

3 Likes

I feel it might also be fitting to eventually rename the thread once the story has a working title (I do have a tentative title for the project, but I don’t know how well it would work given the context). If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears.

Anyway, my plan is to release the story in chapters (where one chapter constitutes an in-game day) starting with the duel challenge and Kotako’s first scene with Yatori. I’ll essentially be taking the game’s scripts and working them in a way that would fit the new character perspectives. I don’t know when I’ll be finished editing, but I expect it to be done by the end of next week. I’ll probably need access to the game’s English scripts further down the road as well, and thankfully Khsellhu has offered to lend me those, so…yeah. Should be good. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think we can just rename this thread as “Rewrite - What if the entire cast is genderbent?” or something like that. :slight_smile:

Here’s some more of my random ideas:

• While Chihaya got pissed because Kotarou can’t avoid her pantsu, let’s just say Arato (yah, buying that one) got pissed at Kotako because his fly got open during the fall and she had to notice it lol.
  • How will Lucius end up beating Kotako I don’t know
  • Kotako has a fetish for six-packs hahahhahaha.
  • Chibimoth is still Chibimoth. Pero will probably be Perra (idk this might be a curse word tho).
  • Hanatarou of the Toilet lol
  • Sakuya Kashima :-)) (not the first person to come up with this lol)
  • Meguru Suzaki (洲崎 周, took out the “ichirou” part of his name and changed the reading of “Shuu”)
  • Shinka Imamiya (今宮 新花, just added a flower kanji beside the “arata” kanji, which can also be read as “shin”)
  • Touhei Nishikujou (西九条 灯兵, the flower kanji replaced with soldier kanji), still wants to be a teacher
3 Likes

As for title change I think we will wait for Eisen’s decision.
And for now we should just bombard him with ideas, I guess. It doesn’t have to be limited with only character names, I think.
Though, yeah… We’ve already added some of the traits for Akagi xD and now for Kotako ::kyouevil:
By the way, she should be a soft fujoshi ::kyouevil:

Also, I shall make justice… not really. Lets give Gennadii Eduardovich Kawachieewa a proper Russian surname :smiley: and new name as well.
Ekaterina Eduardovna Kawachova – Russian (?) woman, who makes ramen at night :smiley:
And her friend – Esaka Sachiko 「江坂原」…

3 Likes

I actually think it might be more interesting to switch roles around instead; i.e. have Kotako be the one that’s mad at ‘Arato’ (name pending) for spotting her cherries. It might end up falling into some shoujo romance cliches, but hey, this is an otome game, and tropes are not bad, right? ^^;

Hehehehehehehehe~ :kyouevil:

You are quite welcome to brainstorm, but keep in mind that since I am the one writing this, I get final say on what makes the cut. Now I’m not saying I’ll be dismissing anyone’s ideas, rather I think it will actually help me come up with some of my own. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve finished my first round of edits for the first chapter, and am currently looking for a peer reviewer at the moment. After reviewing, I will make the chapter public on my fanfiction page, and you guys can give me your thoughts there, or here on the thread, whichever’s more convenient for you. Also, feel free to offer your opinions on how future chapters should proceed, so we as a community can make the best genderbent Rewrite possible~ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ohhhh huh? You mean like one of those datimg sim games? Well, I think it would still be pretty interesting although I would be expecting some more… How to say this? If you’re describing an “Otome-Game” then as far as I am concerned while I haven’t played a lot of them, we would have some more… How to say? Manservice at least? In a way for my end.

Being completely honest for example, Yatori and Licius would have some manservice material in a sense (honestly if you take around the routes there are some bits of that) which would probably go on a lot of fangirlism on, if Rewrite is intact, and Uh… is it bad that I pictured right now how Lucius would beat Kotako? Just think about it… Lucius giving major punches to Kotako… ouch that will hurt a shit ton more ;;

But yeah the Romance Aspect, Like I would go and say maybe it would be a little heavy somehow. Not too heavy but a little bit more on that area since I could probably imagine, probably, just one of the characters doing some sort of tease towards Kotako (and well being real I’ve seen that stuff in the few and that always gives me squeals, but either way it would be like whispering and just teasing the ever living hell out of her)

I can’t give much but that’s just how I see it when it comes to Otome, while it’s not changing any of the rules of Rewrite or they’re intact, it can kinda still be argued about the romantic stuff being a bit more heavy in a way of how it’s done when it comes to the gender swapping.

1 Like

Okay, guys. Kotako was a good idea as name, but maybe we should actually change it into a real one?
I will put for now 4 variants derived from actual Kotarou’s name (湖太郎) and it would be up to you to decide which one is the best. Of course, you can also propose your variants and I’ll add them into a poll. Results would be announced ~24 hours from now. :kyouevil:

• 湖々菜 (Kokona)
  • 湖々露 (Kokoro)
  • 湖々亜 (Kokoa)
  • 湖 (Izumi)

0 voters

2 Likes

Well Kokonoa sounds cute for me honestly and I don’t know why Lmao xD Probably how I pronounce it when I say the name =w=

1 Like

When I say the thread title, I immediatly thought of BL. I was expecting Kotarou x Sakuya, Kotarou x Yoshino, Kotarou x Esaka, Kotarou x Midou, Kotarou x Gil, Kotarou x Chibimoth(that one’s pretty nasty, lol) etc. I mean, BL-ge are still otomege, right?

1 Like

I didn’t know what to expect from this thread title, but the genderbent Rewrite characters sounds pretty awesome to me. Having Kokona does sound like a good name and I think that might work it out as well. I have never played an otome game before so I can’t say much about it. However, I don’t think it’s a bad idea so whatever works from here, I’m sure it’ll be interesting to see. It’s very intriguing and I can’t wait to see how this story goes.

4 Likes

I think yes you might consider BL as Otome Game actually. Of course I think there were few Otome-Games that were BL-based? I am not really sure but few friends of mine have played some of those.

And that shipping is fucking expandable for anyone of those, except for maybe Esaka, for reasons I guess. Ya know it would be kinda weird for me xwx

1 Like

“A game with a female protagonist, with the central focus on developing a relationship with one or more male characters. These games are usually aimed at a female audience, such as Tokimeki Memorial Girls’ Side.”
© vndb

Yaoi (BL) games are also aimed at girls, but don’t count as otome game.
While Eisen might want to end up with some jokes on BL or Yuri, or there even maybe an ending that would play with this theme, I personally want to stay on the “all ages” side. Besides, I don’t think its a good idea to think, that all “otome” is about “BL”, and that all girls do like yaoi.

update:
Meanwhile, 4 hours to go & an even vote count for 3 name variants :smiley: Are there any heroes here, who will break the stalemate? :smiley:

update 2: So, Kokoro wins :kyouevil:
There would be some more polls later~ thanks for participation~

3 Likes

Wow ! I really like this idea ! It is very interesting too because the Rewrite world is filled with such vast ideas and possibilities with gender swapping ! Just thinking about Lucia’s character being gender swapped is quite interesting, if the main parts of her personality and actions are the same (excluding the punches). Her backstory and route would also be interesting.

I drew a fun design for the decided girl, named Kokoro, and the undecided male, named (insert name here)

3 Likes