Poll: Which is your favourite Key series and why?

Tomoyo After is absolutely not part of the CLANNAD series. Its characters are quite distinct from the ones in CLANNAD, it has a different writer, different artist… The only thing it shares is names. You could argue a similar case for Kud Wafter. You can call them spin-offs, but they are very much different series’. Rewrite Harvest festa! is a fandisc of Rewrite; it is part of the Rewrite series, and doesn’t aim to be anything different. The same applies to Little Busters! EX. You’ll find this logic is consistent throughout our Series Information pages as well.

This is a really bad way to determine your favourite. You can’t say “X is my favourite even though it isn’t out yet!”. Base your judgement on what you HAVE read instead. Does the existing Angel Beats! media stand above everything else Key has produced for you?

1 Like

Uhm… I dunno actually, all Key things have their own charm, they’re all top in what they’re doing…

Guess I’ll vote LB because it’s the first Key VN I read^^

Don’t judge me on how I determine my favourite XP

The poll isn’t “Which Key production released as of today stands above all others Key has created?”
If that’s how you determine which is your favourite then thats fine. But I dont think I would be able to pick one if that was the case. Angel Beats! isnt my favourite because its “better” than the rest of Key (at least not yet ;P), its my favourite because I like it the most. The subjects and themes and characters it deals with excite me so much that just the knowledge that Im gonna get to see the whole thing is enough for me to love it.

Look. I know I’m not fulfilling the “Why?” part very constructively at the moment. Trust me, I will later.

Here is the definition of series:

a group or a number of related or similar things, events, etc., arranged or occurring in temporal, spatial, or other order or succession; sequence.

a daily or weekly program with the same cast and format and a continuing story, as a soap opera, situation comedy, or drama.
a number of related programs having the same theme, cast, or format:

I think a visual novel doesn’t fit the definition of a ‘series’. Because they aren’t a group of similar things in sequence, or a continuing story; they are released just once (not counting ‘versions’). Projects may suit them better.

In case there was any doubt, my answer is still Little Busters!.

I don’t care what you think. This is what makes the most sense to me.

Dude, you haven’t read either of them, so how would you know whether or not they fit that definition?

My favorite series! An afterlife of solely mathematics classes! (On a side note, this typo happens so often that it’d be hilarious if someone released a spoof game called this. Maybe a future Kaza project? :P)

Yep. I already love the anime enough to say it’s my favorite, but the future stuff’s probably going to be awesome. All six volumes of it!

I’m not talking about them. Have you even read my post?

Want to argue this inconsequential tidbit further? I’m happy to continue flagging your posts until a strike is in order.

Continue the discussion.

1 Like

i watched Angel Beats! around 11 times and I never get bored about it.
My most favorite character was Yui, i like her since the first time i watch Angel Beats! it was around 2 years back.
I watch back Angel Beats! also because of Yui I totally miss her voice.
Yui-nyan ~

1 Like

Yeah, are you excited for the VN!?

2 Likes

Wow this is difficult… I think ultimately my favorite is Clannad. But I really often feel like saying Angel Beats! Especially while I’m watching it. I think the writing on all Key works is fantastic, but I think it was the best in Clannad. I have a hard time deciding between Clannad and Angel Beats… Both of these series really made me think about life and they are both definitely the best stories I have yet experienced in my life.

So I’ll say Clannad. But with the VN coming up, I think Angel Beats! definitely has huge potential! So it might end up changing!

I also have high expectations for Charlotte! Who knows, maybe it’ll take number one place! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kanon is my favorite.

To put it simply, it’s just the VN that I enjoyed most from Key to date. If I were to try and explain that it would be rationalizing, which I feel would diminish the meaning of it. I can explain some of the things that I liked about it, and some of the things I disliked about it, but I’d rather save such an explanation for a Kanon bookclub, if that becomes a thing.

Also, Kanon has best girl out of all Key VN’s: Nayuki. So that could be part of it.

While Kanon (2006), the anime, wasn’t really a canon thing (ha) it was still excellent supplementary material to the VN. (I also enjoyed the Kanon light novels (that I’ve read so far) as well.)

2 Likes

My favorite is Clannad. After Story reached me, personally since I found Tomoya’s relationship with his father so relatable, and is the first story that has ever had such a deep impact on me. I love the characters and to this day I love Nagisa.

Kud wafter is up there and it’s a spin off of Little Busters!, but w/e I honestly didn’t like Tomoyo After

I’d have to go with Kanon, the simple winter setting, the awesome jazzy
music, the fun characters, the beautiful super natural stories, it
really just does something for me, Air and Little Busters! are a close
second though.

1 Like

It is difficult to choose. Each work contains a separate fine. So I choose AngelBeats! just because it was my first work of Key, and it is also a great work. My choice is not to answer questions. :3

The first key title I read/watched was Clannad, but I think my favorite overall is Little Busters with Angel Beats being a VERY close second. Beyond hyped for the visual novel of the latter.

That said, I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read from Key, those are just my top picks.

Wow It’s really hard to pick a favorite of all the things that you really like. The first time I came here I was all over LitBus, but now that I have finished Rewrite, I found that it really hit my shonen heart with all those epic battle and fight, so… Rewrite of the life~!

While it’s messy and there are inconsistencies here and there when you put them all together, I enjoyed each of the route and extras thoroughly, which is rare for me.

That said, I’m really hyped for AB! VN. The quality of the CGs are really improved from the previous KEY series. With the beautiful story that also has some action in it, AB might be my new favorite after finishing the VN.

1 Like

I guess it’s pretty obvious for me but I’ll try and keep it short ^_^*

So obviously Air is my favourite for a number of reasons (specifically the anime). Firstly, for me it exemplifies how style should be woven into a story, everything is perfect in that regard. The feeling of summer, warmth, the ocean and the sky all marry so perfectly with the gorgeous soundtrack, art and sound design. The only other thing that comes close in that regard I think is Kanon which did the winter theme almost as well as Air did Summer.

Secondly, though also with relation to style, I feel it’s very elegant and understated. I never found it to be melodramatic and nothing ever went over the top, it was very calm and confident in its own style (I know this is vague I just can’t explain it any other way >_<). It didn’t overindulge in “anime comedy” which for the most part I find incredibly cringe-worthy and it didn’t have any fanservice either; any nudity was treated as the story required and not cause for embarrassment or immaturity.

So there’s that, and also the fact that I just love the story and the characters, specifically Misuzu and I also loved the dynamics between Kanna, Ryuuya and Uraha. I’ve always loved the ending in all it’s bittersweet beauty. It doesn’t overindulge in tragedy, there’s always a resolution or an upside to things and all in all it just does it’s heartbreaking scenes in a very quiet, genuinely emotional way.

4 Likes

My favorite currently is Little Busters. The theme of friendship really resonances with me, especially when the theme is so well delivered. As I played through LB, I found myself really caring about each of the characters and their relationships not only with Riki but with eachother. Even with other Key works, I only was really able to find this kind of connection to the characters and their relationships in Little Busters.

1 Like