Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

Well then you’ve come to the right place ;D I’ve been a fan of Japanese EDM for a while now and I’ll be glad to help you out.

Problem I have though, is that there’s just soooo much in the doujin scene that I have no idea where to start. I guess safest bet is to check some of the albums by Hardcore Tano*C and take note of which producers you like from there, then find more similar ones :smiley:

It’s a bit hard to find their stuff on legal methods, but the best I can suggest is through Spotify! Here’s a link to their latest major release:
https://open.spotify.com/album/7uEdesq6fj5zjSFVkcuON4

And hey, if you have any specific EDM subgenres you’re into, lemme know and I can hit you up! More into trance? Dubstep? Hardstyle? Future bass? The japanese scene has something for everyone :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much, that sounds like a good place to start! I’m more a fan of dubstep and trance, but honestly it depends on the artist.

1 Like

Hello there, Evan here, I found this thread thanks to Echo who told me about this in the “Introduce Yourself!” thread. Music has been an inseparable part of my life and a true friend through my ups and downs. I try to open myself to all sorts of music from various genres, but I’m most passionate about classical music and electronic music. For classical music, I really like these:

• Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op. 3 No. 2
  • Debussy - Reflets dans l’eau
  • Chopin - Nocturne Op. 72 No. 1 in E minor
  • Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major, II: Andante
  • Gabriel Fauré - Élégie, op. 24
  • Franz Liszt - La campanella in G# minor

For electronic music, I listen to western artists for the most part; Gesaffelstein, Justice, Soulwax, LCD Soundsystem, you name it. I however have several tracks in mind that I hope you like:

(these tracks below are mostly slower and more emotional, sometimes experimental):

• Siriusmo - Liu
  • BASECAMP - Comfort Zone
  • Bondax - Temptation (feat. Erik Hassle)
  • Bonobo - Pieces (feat. Cornelia)

(tracks below are more danceable)

• Mystery Skulls - Paralyzed
  • Moon Boots - Utopia (feat. Janelle Kroll)
  • Tove Lo - Not on Drugs (The Knocks Remix)
  • Chromeo - Don’t Turn the Lights On

Below is mostly miscellaneous, and not genre-specific:

• Radiohead - Reckoner
  • Sleeping At Last - In the Embers
  • Jungle - Time
  • Arctic Monkeys - One for the Road
  • A Tribe Called Quest - The Space Program
  • Bloc Party - The Good News
  • AWOLNATION - Wake Up
  • Robert Robert - Lonely Road (feat. ZéFIRE)

I never really followed the Japanese music scene, but I think you might like Mondo Grosso’s newest album. Oh, as for OSTs, that Harmonia OST titled “Towa no Hoshi e” never fails to make me pretty emotional - good stuff. Also, I find myself listening to Re:Zero’s OST as well these days. I also like Gentle Jena from Planetarian, but that should come as a no-brainer, shouldn’t it.

Well, maybe that’s all for now. I have a lot of others in mind, but I’m only picking ones that are less obscure than the rest, in hopes that you might find any of them enjoyable. I’m not trying to be a snobbish elitist or whatever, but… yeah.

I can share more of my library if you’d like, though.

3 Likes

Oh, Cut Copy? “Pharaohs & Pyramids” is my favourite off their catalog so far. Do recommend me some more Cut Copy stuff you like, if you feel like it.

I only know two songs from them so far, Hearts on Fire (the one I linked) and Lights and Music, which is probably their most well known song. They’re going to be releasing a new album soon though called Haiku from Zero.

Good taste man.

Two recommendations that seem to be liked by people I recommend them to:

• Petrushka - Russian Dance (Stravinsky)
  • Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 (Lizst)

I don’t really know any of the electronic tracks you listed, but apart from classical music I don’t really know the name of songs and artists, even though I enjoy listening to most music out there.

2 Likes

I personally suggest you Passacaglia
Here is a piano cover version which I specifically liked for the song. The original song was composed by Handel.

1 Like

Recently I was watching Owarimonogatari Season 2, and as usual the OP was great.

I kept humming a part of the song that wasn’t in the OP, and I was wondering where that bit was from, and just now I remembered it was from this song.

For a mario game, this song is pretty underappreciated, but I hope you enjoy these two shots of upbeat music.
(For reference in the Owarimonogatari OP, it was around 0:47-0:54 that I’d start humming the bits from the mario song)

2 Likes

That’s an awesome one! The whole soundtrack has been amazing so far! :musical_score:
I really like this song as well. (The picture is a sort of spoiler I suppose so I’ll hide it)
https://youtu.be/NpcHnid3H-MThis text will be blurred

1 Like

I’d never heard of Daughter and I was surprised to find they are from London. Their non-soundtrack works have some quite thought provoking topics.

3 Likes

Holy fuck man I’m stoked to see someone else out there loves Reckoner as much as it deserves! By far their most underrated track in my opinion, next to Bloom maybe

1 Like

Um, I don’t know all that much about Radiohead besides their lead vocalist Thom Yorke and the album “In Rainbows”, but this track alone made me think he’s a genius. The lyrics are amazing in my opinion, and the golden ratio thingy in 2:49… I’m just starting to like this band. I probably like them already, I don’t know.

Oh, by the way, does anyone listen to Tame Impala as well?

I’m gonna have to apologize because I lied in my last post on this thread.
Or rather, I wasn’t confident in whether or not I was right.
The supposed lie was “as usual the OP was great”.

I’ll be level with you, I kinda forgot about most of the monogatari anime.
I watched a good number of them back in 2016 and only remember the most recent ones I’ve watched, Kizumonogatari, Nekomonogatari:Kuro, Koyomimonogatari and Owarimonogatari 2.
But before those, I’m fairly certain I never listened to the OP’s or tried to absorb what was happening.(Someday I’ll rewatch them)

I only had one monogatari song on my playlist, and it’s one that I never listen to because it just makes me want to stop everything I’m doing, listen and maybe cry inside. That would kinda suck when I’m trying to do my math homework.
Here’s the song, it’s very likely a good number of you know it

I listened to 19 of the OP’s and cherry-picked 7 to put into my playlist.
But for the sake of not making this post any longer than it needs to be, I’ll only post 3 of them, the ones that I think you’re least likely to have heard/ paid attention to.
Also these are the full versions that go on beyond a minute and 30 seconds, eventually I’ll update the owarimonogatari OP I posted earlier to the full version.
Also shoutouts to the person who uploaded this for going the extra mile with good subs in english and japanese and proper crediting to the folks who made the song.
And as always, I hope you enjoy the songs.

Upbeat, Cheery, Catchy

Slow, Melodious, Chill

Techno, Peculiar, Rhymthic

I dropped my hype about the Great Days Unit version I somehow glossed over while watching Diamond is Unbreakable, but here’s another piece of music that I glossed over.

I was kinda dumb back when I was getting into anime in winter 2016, and didn’t pay much attention to the anime I watched.
But good god, how JoJo just stuck to my mind like glue.
When I found this I initially didn’t think too much of it, but then when the flute solo kicked in, I was like “YO I REMEMBER THIS”.
BTW, there are more versions of this song, but this one is the classic one and the most lowkey one, much like Kira and his goals.

This has lead me to be more interested in the background music/ osts of anime since all I’ve paid attention to were the OP’s and ED’s since no combat or dialogue would overlap with them.

So, if you have any in mind, could you recommend some great anime bgm?

As @Pepe said, you came to the correct place! I could prolly help you a lot, but it all depends on what kind of music you like to listen to now, or if you have specific genres you like.
We can take that from there, I myself have been into japanese EDM for 2-3 years, mostly due to pepe’s influence and introduction to the doujin scene.
If you ever have any questions free feel to ask :3, we will be more than happy to help/share/asnwer!

2 Likes

I’m always interested in any EDM artists, I like pretty much all sub genres so I’d try your favorite artists. Also, do you know of any artists that do more traditional Japanese music? I’ve found a few that are more on the pop side, and I’m curious if there are others.

1 Like

Well … I have tons of favorite artists so there is a problem picking specific ones… but I will try.
The majority of them are hardcore producers. For example Dj Noriken:

The thing with japanese producers is that they are very versatile and make almost every kind of electronic music, from the most chill to the fastest speedcores.
I dont really wanna turn this post into a huge infodump since I could literally go on for days.
On another note: There arent any traidional japanese artists I follow sadly, some of the people that are into trance and such makes it once in a while just for a change but that is about it. Try to ask someone here, I am sure someone can help you out with that!

Ill just post some of the favorites right here so you get the point, not huge amount tho.
Still would prefer if you tell me what you like so I can try and give you the proper music you are looking for (since there is A LOT, and I would love to help)
kors k + Camellia, 2 legends in the scene united:

Ujico*/Snail’s House, a future bass maker often recognized as kawaii future bass god.

Ryo Nakamura, a trance, progressive house, drum n bass producer, very chill tracks as well:

1 Like

What is your favorite genre? How did you discover it?

Dark Synth I think, but really synthesizer stuff in general. I listened to vaporwave on autoplay via youtube and eventually synthwave began to play. It wasn’t much longer until I found some dank cyberpunk level beats. I particularly like having lyrics and some repetitivity, but not enough to make the song feel like a chore to listen to.

Recommend the best music you know!

Absolutely loving this right now.

My favorite though…

4 Likes

I could easily spend the next hour or two listing off tons of songs and why I love them, but I’m just going to let a few of my favs hopefully speak for themselves. My favorite genre overall is Pop-Punk, but I pretty much love anything besides Country. (I’ve given it plenty of chances, just not my scene I guess.) Other notable ones which I’ll put a few for are classic Punk, Shoegaze, and Lo-Fi/Chillhop and classical music, specifically solo piano, solo violin/viola, or a duets of the two. Didn’t really have time to go through as much as the thread as I wanted so sorry if there are a few repeats.

(Rock cover of an Undertale song)

(I actually randomly discovered Haruhi because of this song one day. TMOHS is my personal favorite anime overall. The movie also has Trois Gymnopedies by Erik Satie in it, which I saw a few people mention which made me happy. ^^)

(Somewhat local band from my state. Give them some love! Seasons With Reasons To Fit In is also worth a look.)

(Shoegaze, the genre most people don’t even know exists!)

(Lo-Fi)

(Piano)

2 Likes

Yo! That Monochrome title, I’m going to give it a solid 8.5/10 at least, maybe even 9/10. Sick stuff. If you enjoy music like that, I recommend checking out Carpenter Brut, Kavinsky, Perturbator or The Toxic Avenger, if you haven’t already.

(Trivial fact: All 4 artists I mentioned are French)