Overall Music Discussion - Discover new music!

So I recently stumbled across a bunch of anime mashups of pop culture songs

Here are some of my favorites

I found a piano cover of Shelter that really blew my mind here! Take a look at this video and youā€™ll see what I mean.

I absolutely love this rendition! It had me moved so much I was literally crying over it. I can only describe that it is remarkably beautiful and felt like a masterpiece. Itā€™s a little longer than the original song but it gives you the feels over time as the song progresses.

3 Likes

Continuing on Shelter and piano,

I found another stellar piano arrangement of Shelter on Youtube - this time, itā€™s solo piano without backing - the playing is full of momentum and tenderness; the arrangement: evocative and tightly knit. He takes his chances by infusing a slight jazzy kick to it at the end, but it all merges well with the melody in my opinion.

To provide a counterweight to all those positive, heart-wrenchingly warm feels, hereā€™s a heapload of negative feels. Easily one of the most intense and bleak pieces from the Romantic era, is Lisztā€™s Snowstorm.

And for anyone adventurous enough, I thought to share Ravelā€™s Scarbo - a demented caricature of madness. Best listened to alone, at night, when you think thereā€™s someone behind you.

1 Like

You know, after listening to that, I really wanna pitch that as an idea for a test of courage, as thatā€™s way better than those silly actually dangerous things a lot of youths are doing. Thatā€™s also something I like about a lot of classical pieces: just with the title alone, sometimes even without that, you can really see the scenery said title describes, like with the snowstorm you posted.

Just feel like sharing some of my varied tastes in music with the rest of the Key fans. Enjoy! :slight_smile: :

IA - Summertime Record!

Hortensia Saga Full OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hia1xPHdLIQ

Haggard - The Origin Instrumental/Phantom OST - Release Your Spirits High
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hYgrKqnqhU

Aimer - Hakuchuumu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLiPaOkzbqc

Subarashiki Hibi - Yoru no Himawari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWd_7Ud-Lc

And a couple of other OSTs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LfKc5XwzgAdGEzSl9jcWdKV1E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LfKc5XwzgAMFZNTGdTRjAxdEU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9LfKc5XwzgANFJnOHpOemw3UlE

And of course, canā€™t forget this one:
Yanagi Nagi - Koibumi

So with the time of people dressing up as monsters approaching, I feel like sharing this song (and the artist behind it, as the guy makes good music in general):

So more Halloween music because it sounds nice, and although this is more proof of concept, with this one Iā€™d love to hear the rest of Castlevania Portrait of Ruinā€™s soundtrack in the original Castlevania soundfont:

1 Like

DJ the S is fantastic so Iā€™ll post some of my favorites of his.

And if you like that music video Shelter that came out a few weeks ago the guy behind that song has some other goodies.

2 Likes

Everyone should listen to porter, the whole Worlds album is amazing! Heā€™s good friends with Madeon, who also makes great electronic music. Iā€™m actually going to their shelter tour in NYC tomorrow :smiley: also if you like either madeon or porter, I recently found this guy named Ninth Parallel thatā€™s similar to them, hereā€™s one of his songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxiGk9zw2E

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t look like this was brought up. Mubert is a web app that streams procedurally generated electronic music on the fly, which you can (somewhat) personalize. (I prefer their Liquidfunk preset.) The stream is endless and generated differently for each listener.

A while back I had thought about putting together something that would generate music in a similar fashion, but then never did that. So when I saw this earlier today I was pleasantly surprised. Figured it would be worth sharing. (Maybe itā€™s super popular and Iā€™m just one of the few that havenā€™t heard about it though. Anywayā€¦)

1 Like

Sometimes you just randomly stumble upon great music and that happened to me lately.

So I was just looking for a remix of the Face Shrine (Level 6) theme from Linkā€™s Awakening on Youtube when I found this arrange:

The video title had a track number, so it seems that this person did several orchestral arranges of the LA Soundtrack, so I kept looking around on his channel, and indeed, there was a playlist for the complete soundtrack. Thatā€™s right, not just the more popular tracks from the game, every track. Whatā€™s really interesting about his arranges though can be summarized by the video description of the first track:

This boils down that he has in-game soundeffects for some tracks so that the viewer can get the best feel how the game would be if his music would be playing. Furthermore, each video description has another composerā€™s note from him where he explains his decisions and thoughts he had while arranging. And with that, Iā€™ll just leave the whole playlist here:

1 Like

I started listening to some of their songs, including their collaboration with Ok Go. I liked what I heard so far and some of their songs tend to stick to the brain, especially this one.

Just thought Iā€™d take some time to share my favorite song, Reckoner by Radiohead (any other fans here?)

Thom Yorke is known for his raw and hauntingly emotional pieces but none of them hit me as hard as this song. From the crystal clear polythrythmic percussion and powerful cynamtic strings on the original to the raw and whaling vocals in the Basement live version (which Iā€™ll share here) it just makes everything seem so pointless and small in the grand scheme of things. Like the universe itself just whaling, growing bigger and bigger until in the end everything just floats off together.

Itā€™s not an easy feeling to explain but hopefully if you check the song out, or know it, youā€™ll see what I mean.

2 Likes

So thereā€™s been a lot of talk about modern music and some talk about video game OSTs in this topic, but from what I remember reading through here a few months ago, there wasnā€™t really much talk about classical music. So I want to change that.

Iā€™m interested what some of your favorite composers are from this period (just for clarity, Iā€™m talking about classical music in a general sense, be it baroque or impressionalism) and maybe link one piece made by them if the composer in question isnā€™t that well known.

So for me, I seem to like several Russian composers, as I like Peter Tschaikovsky, known for the balletts Swanlake and Nutcracker (Nutcracker Suite), and Modest Mussorgsky. From Mussorgsky you might have heard Night on Bald Mountain

or Pictures at an Exhibition

Also to get them out of the way and because I like them as well, Bach, Beethoven and Mozart have also composed a lot of great pieces. I also think that theyā€™re well known enough that I donā€™t really need to link something by them.

3 Likes

I found this track on Spotify a few months ago and wanted to play it during the New Year Kazaoke, but it got skipped over so Iā€™ll share it here. I really like this track. Itā€™s rather relaxing and I love the piano like chords. Guess Iā€™m a sucker for Electronica tracks that have the piano incorporated into them.

3 Likes

I like a lot of different music, right now Iā€™m listening to more electronicy stuff but in the past my consistently favorite genres have been metal and video game/VN soundtracks. I didnā€™t really listen to that much music when I was younger but amusingly I found this parody song which got me into Iron Maiden and eventually into other metal music. Iā€™m particularly into power metal ballads and symphonic metal but I like most genres. For video game music my first favorite was the Bastion soundtrack which is still my favorite games and one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Here are some of my favorite songs:
Metal:
Delain - We Are the Others
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (long)
Keldian - F.T.L.
Galneryus - Angel of Salvation (long, Japanese)
Dio - Sacred Heart
Video game/VN soundtracks (not including Key):
Bastion OST - Spike in a Rail
VA-11 HALL-A OST - Every Day is Night
Pokemon Colosseum OST - First Battle
Undertale OST - Undertale
Fate/Stay Night OST - Whirlpool of Fate
Higurashi OST - You
Some other songs I like a lot of various genres:
Syd Matters - Obstacles
Leather Tramp - The Bear Prayer
RBTS WIN - Death Magic (Blue Sky Black Death Remix)
Vaults - Lifespan

Thatā€™s a lot of music but I hope at least someone enjoys some of it. If anyone wants more recommendations based on any of this let me know.

3 Likes

I noticed you liked symphonic metal, Iā€™m not really in to metal myself but Iā€™m a big fan of Nightwish, what do you think about them?
I also enjoy Dream Theater, but I mainly listen to them for Jordan Rudess haha

1 Like

I really like Nightwish too, some other similar symphonic metal bands I like a lot if youā€™re interested are Within Temptation (a bit more pop-y), Epica (more syphonic and heavier), Delain (also more pop-y), and Sirenia (heavier).

I havenā€™t listened to much Dream Theater but what Iā€™ve heard I like.

Ooh, no oneā€™s mentioned progressive rock yet! :masgrin:
For those who donā€™t know, progressive rock is a type of music that was popular in the 70s.
Some of the more popular prog bands are early Genesis, Rush, and Yes.
It has some main traits:

• lengthy songs - up to an hour, :kotohino: usually around 6 minutes, makes each listen feel a bit new
  • changing rhythms - often songs change their musical style, and have crazy time signatures
  • story telling - some albums tell a story throughout, or tackle unique topics

Here are links to some good ones:
Rush - Subdivisions (~5 minutes)
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression (~9 minutes)
Yes - Then (~6 minutes)
Nektar - Remember the Future (~34 minutes)
My personal favorites are Nektar, Grobschnitt, and Van der Graaf Generator.

3 Likes

I love ā€œSubdivisionsā€. Itā€™s probably my favorite song from Rush; cannot get enough of those synthesizers. I guess on the note of progressive rock, we canā€™t forget about Pink Floyd.

2 Likes

Rush is fantastic! :masgrin: Love Moving Pictures and Signals.
Pink Floyd is a unique blend of psychedelic and progressive rock, creating pretty relaxing and musically interesting songs.
Kind of in the same vein is a Japanese artist called Yasuaki Shimizu, although their music is a bit less progressive.

1 Like